A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

RMT exam normal lab values ? - RMT2be

Posted: Sep 05, 2011

I am preparing for the RMT exam.

How much detail of the normal lab values do I need to know? Do I have to memorize all the normal values at the least? I find that impossible.

Do I have to know what test will diagnose for which disease or particular study? For example, do I have to know that white blood cells are involved in the CBC test or that PSA stands for prostrate specific antigen and is a cancer marker?

How much information about the drugs do I need to know? 

What kind of lab value questions will be on the exam, how much detail do I need to know?

Thanks!  

I don't know the answers but I just have to ask - respectfully SM

[ In Reply To ..]
was that a typo on the word prostate? I hear nonmedical people say prostrate (even on comedy shows sometimes) and it is one of those things that make me cringe. Another example is Valentimes day, oh..and Victoria's Secrets. :)

Respectfully SM - Old Pro

[ In Reply To ..]
The thing that really steps on my corns is when people say "It doesn't JIVE," when they really mean "It doesn't JIBE." Don't people use dictionaries anymore? :)

Jive!! - Wordie

[ In Reply To ..]
That drives me up a wall too. I could go on and on. Also, BREFUST is not a meal either. Ugh. It is BREAKFAST.
Wordie - Old Pro
[ In Reply To ..]
And LIBERRY instead of library.

Not to mention - Anne

[ In Reply To ..]
"... to cut of your nose despite your face." A moment's thought should have revealed that that doesn't make any sense. This seems a rather common mistake, and I always want to ask them to allow me to introduce them to the verb "to spite," but I never do as it would likely be a waste of time.
Anne - Old Pro
[ In Reply To ..]
And also when people say "Where's it at?" instead of "where is it?" is just like fingernails on a chalkboard. (As you can see, this old lady is grouchy.)

Here's another one.. - Gets me..

[ In Reply To ..]
"At around." As in "at around 2 pm"
Pick one for goodness sake! =]

Just from the questions you ask, it does not - Jaz

[ In Reply To ..]
seem you are ready to take the RMT exam. For example, if you do not know the basics of what each lab test is for or normal values, how can you flag something that is in error and may affect patient care? Dictators often get their lab values mixed up and it is up to you to catch these things as it directly affects paitient care. The same goes for medications and normal vital signs. Knowing this stuff also helps you get through difficult dictation and makes you more productive.

My advice to you is to study and learn normal lab values, tests, medications, abbreviations, etc. Having an RMT tells an employer you know your stuff. A good MT tries to learn as much as they can, not "just getting by" on as little knowledge as possible, which is what it sounds like you are doing by your questions. Study all that you asked about and you will do fine on the RMT test. Good luck.

Re: Just from the questions you ask, it does not - RMT2be

[ In Reply To ..]
Jaz, when did I ever say anywhere in my post that I was ready to take the RMT exam? I merely said I was preparing for it and had questions. Maybe instead you should read people's posts more closely instead of attacking them or presuming you know.

If I have more questions, good God I hope you don't throw around some opinionated BS that you think I am "just getting by" or that I have no knowledge. That is the point of posting on this wonderful forum right? In case you forgot, the whole point of asking questions is because you don't know something in the first place. I am sure you have been in this position at least once in your lifetime, or maybe you are a big name RMT that now your head too big for us little people.

Just so you know, you have absolutely NO IDEA how much experience I have or how hard I work and yet how easily you can judge me through my FIRST post on this forum without having any knowledge of what I am really like. Just because you think I sound like some C-student based on my question, well that is YOUR BS. You are a fool.

To your credit though, at least it looks like you answered my question. Thanks for that.

RMT2be - Hiring partner

[ In Reply To ..]
I certainly hope that you clean up your language if you apply to our company. Using the name of the Diety and the other abbreviation as well as calling someone a "fool" tells me you are not likely to be a team player. You may well pass the RMT exam, but you will never be Miss Congeniality.
I would not hire anyone with a poor attitude and/or communication skills - nm
[ In Reply To ..]
nm

Similar Messages:

Normal Heart Exam. Sm
Jan 19, 2011

Doc wtih a heavy accent dictating: Heart:  Regular in rhythm, normal S1 and S2, no gallop, no s/l "exosystolies".    ...

Fundoscopic Exam Is Normal With S/l Crisp Vessels
Mar 12, 2010

Funduscopic exam is normal with s/l crisp vessels.   ...

Eye Exam Reactive To Light With S/l "knee Line" That Is Normal
Jul 15, 2010

Doctor is dictating pupils are equal and reactive to light with s/l "knee line" that is normal.  Any clues?  ...

Ortho: Child With Toe-walking. On Exam, S/l "bay Hans" Is Normal
Aug 06, 2014

TIA!  ...

On Heart Exam: Normal S1 "barron" S2.
Jun 16, 2010

:) ...

Baseline Normal Or Near Normal Thyroid Function Studies
Mar 15, 2011

baseline normal or near normal thyroid function studies. Is "near normal" hyphenated, or no? Thank you. ...

Hemoglobin Normal With Normal S/l Cell In Dis Thees With An MCV Of 89.
May 26, 2010

s/l cell in dis thees with an MCV of 89.  ...

Laryngoscope Showed Normal Vocal Cords And Normal "tuberous Tugors".
Jul 15, 2012

? ...

ABG VALUES
Nov 11, 2009

Is the base excess in ABG values always a negative?  I have only heard things such as base excess -2.9.  However, this doctor is stating just base excess of 2.9.  ...

Opinion On Lab Values
Nov 22, 2009

Do some of these lab values seem impossibly high, particularly the AST and ALT?  He clearly states these values. Her Chem-7 from yesterday revealed sodium 134, potassium 7.8, chloride 92, bicarbonate 25, sugar 293, BUN 120, creatinine 7.2, calcium 8.8, AST 2898, ALT 3595, ammonia 97, total bilirubin 2.3.  ...

PSA Values-urology
Apr 25, 2011

Ok.  I have a question about how to properly transcribe PSA values.  In every previous job I have had transcribing urology notes, I was told that if they give you a single number like 1,2,3..to transcribe it as 1.0, 2.0, 3.0, etc.  I would get in trouble if I left off the .0 after the number.  I also think this looks better on paper.  However, my editor on this account (who I think is very old-school) says to leave the .0 off.  What do you guys think? I already had ...

Corporate Values
Oct 14, 2011

Medquist recruitment ad: Join a Corporate Team with Corporate Values! MedQuist's values of Customer Focus, Commitment, Teamwork and Integrity provide the framework for everything we do as an organization. I would rather go to an OWS rally. ...

New ISR Laboratory Values
Jan 29, 2013

"urine was clear with a small amount of bilirubin, Cheetos +15." Wow, I didn't know Cheetos could show up in your urine...  My, my.       ...

Dictating Lab Values
Jul 06, 2013

dictating lab values: albumin 2.7, low. s/l "HU" ratio low at 0.6. ?? Thank you!! ...

Semicolons In Lab Values?
Oct 31, 2013

Was corrected to semicolons in my lab values from commas to semicolons in between each value.  Is this correct?  I have never done this or been told to do this in all my years of doing this job.  Thanks in advance. ...

Neck: Normal "tesseril" Motion And Normal "effort"?
Nov 30, 2012

PE on neurologist consult. Pt with spinal sarcoma.  Doc is a pretty clear dictator.  Not sure if "tesseril" is actually "tests for all" or what.  How about "effort".  Is this customary in a neuro consult?  Thanks for any suggestions.      ...

Typing Vision Values
Feb 22, 2010

Hello, Just wondering if anyone knows how to type out when the doc says "20/70 minus" for a vision value???? I can't find how to format it anywhere.. Input much appreciated! Nicole ...

He Is Dictating Lab Values, Pc02, Po2, Ph
Aug 02, 2010

he is dictating lab values, pc02, po2, ph, and something that sounds like BASE EXCESS, ...

3 Values For Blood Pressure?
Dec 29, 2010

Is this something new I haven't heard of before, or just a misspeak? ...

MModal Core Values
May 10, 2013

I know this is a silly question, but where can I find the core values of this company, if it has any at all.  I was just curious and kind of just want to compare with how we are treated and laugh. ...

QA Changed Text To Wrong Values
May 27, 2011

If QA changes a lab value to something that is possibly wrong, will I be blamed for that mistake or can they tell who changed it???? ...

His Hematocrit Is Actually Very Stable S/L Rel-uv To Prior Values, Although I Think It Will Drop Som
Dec 30, 2009

ty ...

Lab Values - Convert Decimals To Regular Number
Mar 14, 2011

Sorry, my math really sucks and I can't seem to find a site that will 'convert' decimals to regular numbers.  If a patient's lab test reads as 23.0 and the doctor dictates it as 23,000 are these both correct ways of putting it?  Also had absolute segment coung of 17.48 that was dictated as 17, 480 and bands of 0.23 that were dictated as 230.  If these are just other ways of expressing the same number and are all correct, great- I just want to be sure that is the case.  I ...

Grip Strength Is Equal To The S/l Mean Norminant Values
Apr 20, 2012

I have never heard this. ...

Dictators Give The Labs With The Values First - Like 147 Sodium, 4.2 Potassium
Aug 18, 2011

Don't you hate it when dictators give the labs with the values first - like 147 sodium, 4.2 potassum, etc and then switch it part way through back to glucose 110 - that gets me so screwed up. ...

AIIMS Exam Or AMES Exam
Sep 15, 2011

Doing a report for a counseling and recovery center. Dr. says.... AIIMS exam showed mild involuntary movement of upper extremities and t____ assessment. Is it AIMS exam or Ames exam. I am also unsure of the blank, it sounds like it starts with the letter T. Thank you Thank you in advance! ...

What Should Be Normal Lph For A New MT?
Apr 09, 2010

I am a fairly new MT at MQ.  With all the checking ADT and getting different facilities/doctors I am very slow.  What should my speed be at as a new MT??? ...

QA Pay At 4 Cpl?? Is That Normal?
Dec 16, 2010

TIA ...

ECG Normal By (s/l V4)
Jan 17, 2013

I know V4 is an ECG lead, but I have never heard it stated like this. Please advise! ...

Normal ROS & PEs
Jan 26, 2013

When a dictator asked that you insert a normal ROS or PE, then dictates "for the respiratory put ..." I often get dictation that contradicts what remains in the normal template but the dictators do not instruct to delete the rest of that heading. Sometimes this is an easy fix, for example if you know they complain of SOB, then you delete that portion. Other times we can't possibly know how the "normal" differs for this particular patient. It's time consuming to keep flagging these for ...