A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

dictators give the labs with the values first - like 147 sodium, 4.2 potassium - drives me crazy

Posted: Aug 18, 2011

Don't you hate it when dictators give the labs with the values first - like 147 sodium, 4.2 potassum, etc and then switch it part way through back to glucose 110 - that gets me so screwed up.

Crazy Labs - OldHand

[ In Reply To ..]

You know, transcribing lab values has always been a pain.  I have been working on various and sundry macro ideas for quite a while trying to streamline this process and help with accuracy.  Who knows, maybe next year I will have steamlined and debugged the utilities I have been working on so that I will actually have something useful, which I will publish.  However, when I read your comment yesterday, I thought maybe I could write a quick-fix macro that would fix this particular problem most of the time.  This macro, which I will post below, is written in word so if you are using a non-word platform it won't help but if you are, perhaps you might find it useful.  In any case, you might that some of the code useful as examples if you are trying to write your own macros. 

This is actually three macros which should be pasted into your normal dot.  If you are using another attached template for macros (which you really should) than you can paste it in that template but you will need to change the line "CustomizationContext = NormalTemplate" to "CustomizationContext = ActiveDocument.AttachedTemplate"

These macros are assigned to the Alt-Delete Key.  I put it on this key because I suspect that very few people use this key combination for anything. 

To bind the macro LabEntries to the Alt-Delete key, you will need to run the macro called "LabEntriesHotKey."  If you want to clear the key, run the macro "ClearLabEntriesHotKey."  If you want to bind the macro "LabEntries" to another key, you can do so by recording a macro.  In that case do not run either of these macros.

The macro "LabEntries" has a message box that pops up and you type in either the labvalue or the labname, whichever the doctor dictates first, and then in the 2nd box you type the following value (or name) so if the doctor says hemoglobin 12.2 you type hemoglobin in the first box and 12.2 in the 2nd, on the other hand if he says 12.2 hemoglobin you type it in that order.  

You can type in your autocorrect abbreviation if you have one, for example if you have "WBC" for "wbc", and type in "wbc" the macro will look into autocorrect and see if there is an entry for wbc.

If you do not type in anything in the input box and the macro will stop and insert what you have typed, if anything, into your report.  Also the macro assumes you are typing a sentence, so the first word will be capitalized and a period and 2 spaces inserted at the end.  The macro will always type the lab name first and then the lab value (hemoglobin 12.2, hematocrit 35.8, etc.)  If there is no number typed in the macro will insert in the order you type it in ("hemoglobin normal, normal hematocrit" -- unfortunately I have not yet figured out a logical way to fix this, but I might be able to come up with something in which case I will post a revision.)

I am pasting the macro into the post to follow.

I hope it heps you a little bit.  Any feedback would be appreciated. 

The CrazyLabs macro (read post above first) - Old Hand

[ In Reply To ..]

Sub LabEntriesHotKey()
' Macro created 8/18/2011 by WordExpressTranscriptions
CustomizationContext = NormalTemplate
KeyBindings.Add KeyCode:=BuildKeyCode(wdKeyAlt, wdKeyDelete), _
    KeyCategory:=wdKeyCategoryMacro, Command:="LabEntries"
StatusBar = "LabEntries Macro HotKey (Alt-Delete) Enabled"
End Sub

Sub ClearLabEntriesHotKey()
FindKey(BuildKeyCode(wdKeyAlt, wdKeyDelete)).Disable
StatusBar = "LabEntries Macro HotKey (Alt-Delete) Disabled"
End Sub

Sub LabEntries()
' to organize lab names and values
Dim Text1, Text2, LabName, LabValue, Char As Variant
Dim A, L As Long: Dim LabString, Title, Message As String
Title = "WordExpress Transcriptions Utility"

Entries: StatusBar = LabString
Text1 = InputBox("Enter value #1:", Title): Text1 = Trim(Text1)
If Text1 = "" Then: GoTo TheEnd

On Error Resume Next: Text1 = AutoCorrect.Entries(Text1).Value: StatusBar = LabString
Message = "Value #1:  " & Text1 & vbCr & "Enter value #2:"
Text2 = InputBox(Message, Title): Text2 = Trim(Text2)
If Text2 = "" Then GoTo TheEnd
On Error Resume Next: Text2 = AutoCorrect.Entries(Text2).Value: StatusBar = LabString

LabName = Trim(Text1): LabValue = Trim(Text2): Char = Mid(Text1, 1, 1): A = Asc(Char)

If A > 47 And A < 58 Then
    LabName = Text2: LabValue = Text1
End If

LabString = LabString & LabName & " " & LabValue & ", "
GoTo Entries:

TheEnd:
LabString = Trim(LabString)
If (LabString) = "" Then: Exit Sub
L = Len(LabString): L = L - 1: LabString = Mid(LabString, 1, L) & ".  "
L = Len(LabString): Char = Mid(LabString, 1, 1): A = Asc(Char)
If A > 96 Then:    A = A - 32: LabString = Chr(A) & Mid(LabString, 2, L)
Selection.TypeText LabString

End Sub

macros - ohiocarole

[ In Reply To ..]
Interested in the idea. What is WordExpressTranscriptions? a program? Any info you're willing to share would be appreciated, thanks

Lab Macro - Answer - Old Hand

[ In Reply To ..]
Once upon a time, when I worked for myself, WordExpress Transcriptions was my company name. I no longer have a business, I'm just an employee putting in my time until I can retire -- but when I post a macro, which I don't often do any more, I like to have some identification that shows I wrote it. Every now then I meet somebody who is using one of my macros and it is kind of nice to know my macros are sometimes useful to someone, and that MT is not using somebody else's similar macro.

I have a pretty jaundiced view of what passes for quality review these days, mountains are made out of molehills, (MTs are absolutely tormented by absurd nonsense while important things are disregarded or worse, transcribed correctly and then changed, because far too often QA just don't have the medical knowledge they should have.) I am always looking for ways to make sure that the things that are important are correct. I am of the opinion that lab values and diagnostic tests, diagnoses/impressions, and meds are critical. Other things such as whether or not sugar-tong split is hyphenated, one combined word, or two words are not. That kind of thing is not going to affect patient care, billing, or the outcome of a malpractice suit. And the accuracy and usefulness of the important information of the medical document (plus overall readability) SHOULD be the standard by which an MT is judged, in my opinion, not picyune stuff that is the subjective opinion of one inadequately trained person, or this year's BOS.

Thus accurately transcribed lab values, diagnoses, physical findings, surgical instruments, etc, absolutely do matter. Right now I am focused on labs and trying to figure out a good way to make these easy to quickly and accurately transcribe, especially in these days of ESLs. I believe that a good lab macro should have the normal ranges available to the MT, also that the all values in a specific lab panel should be viewable. I think having this information on the screen cut down on errors. However, medical dictation has so many variables, lab valus are so randomly dictated, plus there different names for the same values (SGOT/AST, SGPT/ALT for example) the logic required for programming/coding this is far trickier than I first thought it would be, and so I have been working with this now for many months. These macros have to be streamlined, accurate, and intuitive, and above all need not to ever crash!

As well, there is one seemingly little problem that is actually a big one for me, and that is I am so isolated these days working home, I don't have access to a medical record department or a seasoned laboratory/pathology MT who can answer picky little questions (and sometimes it is very hard to google the right answer; there is either too much information, or it is entirely lacking.) Plus I really really wish I could get my hands on copies of the order slips for all of the various lab panels.
At the risk of sounding really dense, s/m - destinyisntfree
[ In Reply To ..]
I really would like to try to use your Macro, but I have absolutely no idea whatsoever on how to import a macro into word, and make it work. If you find yourself having any time at all, would it be possible for you to maybe email me how to do this? I am fully aware that, after ten years of transcription, and time being money and all, I should probably know how to do this, but it is just something that I never learned.
How to copy macro code into word - old hand
[ In Reply To ..]

First you need to copy the macro code.  I think I titled the post "crazy labs macro."  Unfortunately I can't check this while I am typing this message.

Then open MSWord.  Press Alt-F8 to open your macro dialog box.  Then click on edit.  You will now be in the macro editor.  It should say "Microsoft Visual Basic - Normal - New Macros" at the top.   Now move your cursor to the very bottom of the screen and paste the macro code that you copied onto the screen.  Now at the top of the screen, click on File, then click on Save, then click on Close and Return to Word. 

Now Press Alt-F8 again to open the macro dialog box.  High-light "LabEntriesHotKey," now click on "Run."   This should return you to the main screen and you should get a message at the bottom of the word screen that the hot key (alt-delete) has been enabled.

Now when you want to run the lab macro all you need to do is press Alt-Delete and start the macro.

If you want to disable the macro key, then you need to follow the same procedure as above but high-light "ClearLabEntriesHotKey."  That will un-bind the LabEntries macro from the Alt-Delete Key Combination.

I have an idea to make this macro more useful, by attaching a message to the lab names showing normal values using autocorrect entries, which would make it possible for the MT to customize but I don't know if people would be interested.

This macro as is written now, is pretty plain and doesn't do much.  But it will put the labs on the screen in lab name/lab value order, and if you type in your autocorrect abbreviation for the lab name, it wlil find it in autocorrect and use it.

Also, you could print out my first post (I think it is called Crazy Labs) because it tells you how to use the macro and how it works.

If anyone tries this macro and finds it useful (or stupid) please write and tell me what you think and how it could be improved.  As I said I have been working on this idea for some time (which will function differently than this macro) and any ideas about what would be helpful or to make it function better would be helpful for the real thing.

Thanks in advance for trying my macro and thanks for taking the time to give me your feedback.

That

It works!! - destinyisntfree
[ In Reply To ..]
Thanks so much. I feel so stupid when it comes to the Macro thing, I really do. It is just not something I ever learned how to do.
Have you ever written a "go to" short cut macro - IANMT2
[ In Reply To ..]
I have a macro that someone gave me, after having to switch computers lost a macro a previous employer helped me create with PC Anywhere on my computer. Very fast I might add. To where it was almost impossible the next time I tried to make it. Almost.

I have had to play around with it to "remember" how to record it, then someone gave me this macro and I just paste it in like you are saying.

This macro, for me, I put an * wherever I want my cursor to go (great for filling in a little on templates or physical exams, op reports, and, yes, labs) then my hot keys are (I like) alt J because I have no imagination and that is what I remember from the first time I created it.

Anyway this macro is named doob. Don't ask because I don't know, I never knew. Maybe because I felt like a doob for repeatedly asking such a random question that no one (besides you) ever knew the answer to. :D
Jump Macro - Old Hand
[ In Reply To ..]

I am posting two versions of my jump macro in the post below which I also put on alt-J because it is one of the easiest keys, and I use the macro more than any other.

Because I was a travelling MT, I used chartscript more than any other program, and my jump key searched for "??" but I did modify this to look for "*" instead.

One version of the macro (StarTraveler) leaves the * in place as you jump through the document so the doctor is dictating for example an op note but he does not dictate the headings in order you can move around the document to your headings.  The macro will look backward for the macro if it does not find one forward.

The other macro (DeathStar) deletes the star as you jump to that star. 

I am including two macros for the customization keyboard if you want to use that for Alt-J.  You can follow the instructions I posted above to do that.  I set it up for "DeathStar" so if you want to use "StarTraveler" instead, you will need to change the words DeathStar to StarTraveler.

I have a companion macro which I put on Alt-Z that moves backward through the document looking for "??" (which can be changed to "*") that works well the "StarTraveler" macro.  If anybody is interested, I will post that macro as well.  The only caveat of course is that you need to make sure you delete all of the stars before you return your document. 

The way I solved that problem is that I created a macro that runs the spellchecker and saves the document, and also fixes little glitches in the document (such as an extra line) as well as makes sure there are no stars, etc., in the document.

Fortunately, this can be done as a keystroke recording macro.

Macro(s) to follow in next post.

This is the Jump Macro - OldHand
[ In Reply To ..]

Sub DeathStar()
'This macro deletes the stars as it moves through the document
Dim A As Long
A = Selection.MoveUntil(cset:="*", Count:=wdForward)
If A = 0 Then
    With Selection
        .TypeText "*"
        .WholeStory:
        .Collapse:
    End With
End If
    GoSub WarpDrive:
    StatusBar = "StarHopper Utility created by WordExpress Transcriptions"
        Exit Sub
WarpDrive:
    With Selection
        .MoveUntil cset:="*", Count:=wdForward ' find the next star
        .Delete
        .Font.Bold = False 'just in case
    End With
        Return
End Sub

Sub StarTraveler()
'This macro leaves the stars in place as it moves through the document
Dim A As Variant
A = Selection.MoveUntil(cset:="*", Count:=wdForward)
If A = 0 Then
    GoSub StarChart
    With Selection
        .TypeText "*"
        .WholeStory:
        .Collapse:
    End With
End If
    GoSub WarpDrive:
    StatusBar = "StarHopper Utility created by WordExpress Transcriptions"
        Exit Sub
WarpDrive:
With Selection
    .MoveUntil cset:="*", Count:=wdForward
    .Delete
    .Font.Bold = False 'just in case
    .TypeText "*"
End With
    Return
StarChart:
    Selection.MoveLeft: A = Selection.Text
    If A = "*" Then
        Selection.Delete
    Else: Selection.MoveRight
    End If
        Return
End Sub

Sub StarHopperHotKey()
' Macro created 8/21/2011 by WordExpressTranscriptions
KeyBindings.Add KeyCode:=BuildKeyCode(wdKeyAlt, wdKeyJ), _
    KeyCategory:=wdKeyCategoryMacro, Command:="DeathStar"
StatusBar = "WordExpress StarHopper Macro HotKey (Alt-J) Enabled"
End Sub

Sub ClearStarHopperHotKey()
' Macro created 8/21/2011 by WordExpressTranscriptions
FindKey(BuildKeyCode(wdKeyAlt, wdKeyJ)).Disable
StatusBar = "WordExpress StarHopper Macro HotKey (Alt-J) Disabled"
End Sub

Similar Messages:

S/l C-NUT Shows A Sodium Of 143, Potassium 3.5, Chloride 107, Etc.
Apr 23, 2013

. ...

I Have A New Prayer. God Please Give Me The Bad Dictators
Mar 02, 2010

at the end of my week so the first part of my week I can get less than 5% submission rate, and only get docked pay the last few lines of my week.  Please, God.  I need to pay my bills.Are prayers allowed on here?  LOL ...

Lousy Dictators - Crappy, Hard To Understand Dictators, Both ESL And English-speaking
May 17, 2014

Today I will make less than half of what I normally get because all I've gotten today are crappy, hard to understand dictators, both ESL and English-speaking.  Seems like all I get lately are the hard to understand, mush-mouth dictators.  Guess Nuance doesn't want their MTs making quota.  Sorry.  I just had to vent. ...

S/l Duco-sodium. Thanks NM
Feb 15, 2010

x ...

Potassium Or K
Nov 24, 2010

The doc (ESL) says ".....her K was 3.3.  Also later mentions "K supplement".  Should I transcribe as is?  Cannot find reference on Do Not Use list.  Thanks ...

The Discussion Over Potassium Value Of 216.
May 08, 2012

Although my view on this issue is that, yes, a seasoned transcriptionist should recognize that 216 was not the proper value (and I can see QA flagging that as a serious error), the point I'd like to make is that this is the crazy problem with MTSOs thinking that ASR can replace the human, experienced transcriptionist. Without an MT's knowledge that "this value" or "that dosage" doesn't make sense, this is exactly the type of error that ASR will continue to crank out.  The qu ...

Need Help With Medication, S/l Pramipexole Sodium 40 Mg, Anyone Familiar
Sep 23, 2011

She says it very clearly, but I have no reference for this medication as dictated. Thanks! ...

Treatment For Potassium Elevation
Sep 12, 2012

The pt has elevated potassium.   Being treated in ER with calcium chloride, B-51, Kayexalate and 1/3 liter of "Chris............. something.   TIA ...

K Versus Potassium In Report
Feb 04, 2013

When a physician dictates, "The patient was put on K supplements", or "The patient's K was", should these be expanded to potassium? Thanks. ...

Left Ovarian S/l Quap/a/sodium Cyst ??
Sep 25, 2012

Obstetric ultrasound, July 31, 2012 notable for single viable intrauterine pregnancy with probable 1.5 cm left ovarian __________ cyst and 1.6 cm left lower uterine segment fibroid.    I keep hearing quap/a/sod/ee/um ?? or clop/a/sodium ?? ...

ABG VALUES
Nov 11, 2009

Is the base excess in ABG values always a negative?  I have only heard things such as base excess -2.9.  However, this doctor is stating just base excess of 2.9.  ...

Opinion On Lab Values
Nov 22, 2009

Do some of these lab values seem impossibly high, particularly the AST and ALT?  He clearly states these values. Her Chem-7 from yesterday revealed sodium 134, potassium 7.8, chloride 92, bicarbonate 25, sugar 293, BUN 120, creatinine 7.2, calcium 8.8, AST 2898, ALT 3595, ammonia 97, total bilirubin 2.3.  ...

PSA Values-urology
Apr 25, 2011

Ok.  I have a question about how to properly transcribe PSA values.  In every previous job I have had transcribing urology notes, I was told that if they give you a single number like 1,2,3..to transcribe it as 1.0, 2.0, 3.0, etc.  I would get in trouble if I left off the .0 after the number.  I also think this looks better on paper.  However, my editor on this account (who I think is very old-school) says to leave the .0 off.  What do you guys think? I already had ...

Corporate Values
Oct 14, 2011

Medquist recruitment ad: Join a Corporate Team with Corporate Values! MedQuist's values of Customer Focus, Commitment, Teamwork and Integrity provide the framework for everything we do as an organization. I would rather go to an OWS rally. ...

New ISR Laboratory Values
Jan 29, 2013

"urine was clear with a small amount of bilirubin, Cheetos +15." Wow, I didn't know Cheetos could show up in your urine...  My, my.       ...

Dictating Lab Values
Jul 06, 2013

dictating lab values: albumin 2.7, low. s/l "HU" ratio low at 0.6. ?? Thank you!! ...

Semicolons In Lab Values?
Oct 31, 2013

Was corrected to semicolons in my lab values from commas to semicolons in between each value.  Is this correct?  I have never done this or been told to do this in all my years of doing this job.  Thanks in advance. ...

Typing Vision Values
Feb 22, 2010

Hello, Just wondering if anyone knows how to type out when the doc says "20/70 minus" for a vision value???? I can't find how to format it anywhere.. Input much appreciated! Nicole ...

He Is Dictating Lab Values, Pc02, Po2, Ph
Aug 02, 2010

he is dictating lab values, pc02, po2, ph, and something that sounds like BASE EXCESS, ...

3 Values For Blood Pressure?
Dec 29, 2010

Is this something new I haven't heard of before, or just a misspeak? ...

RMT Exam Normal Lab Values ?
Sep 05, 2011

I am preparing for the RMT exam. How much detail of the normal lab values do I need to know? Do I have to memorize all the normal values at the least? I find that impossible. Do I have to know what test will diagnose for which disease or particular study? For example, do I have to know that white blood cells are involved in the CBC test or that PSA stands for prostrate specific antigen and is a cancer marker? How much information about the drugs do I need to know?  What kind of lab valu ...

MModal Core Values
May 10, 2013

I know this is a silly question, but where can I find the core values of this company, if it has any at all.  I was just curious and kind of just want to compare with how we are treated and laugh. ...

Labs....something
Nov 03, 2009

The doctor says: "Labs from the skilled nosary posability." I was thinking "skilled nursing facility" but there are too many syllables. Could anything else go in there to make it sound complete? Thanks! ...

Labs New To Me
Jun 06, 2010

Her laboratory studies show a sedimentation rate of 25, C-reactive protein of 2.9, and a positive s/l ANA  with a speckled pattern and a s/l tyler of 1 to 40. TIA   This is new to me, so I am very unsure. tia. ...

V-labs?
Jan 08, 2013

At the end of an EMG report, doc says something that sounds like "The V labs appear to be fairly normal."  Any clue what this might be? Thanks.   ...

QA Changed Text To Wrong Values
May 27, 2011

If QA changes a lab value to something that is possibly wrong, will I be blamed for that mistake or can they tell who changed it???? ...

With Regards To Labs On A Pt. With AIDS
Oct 14, 2009

LABORATORY DATA:  From August 2009 - HIV copies less than 48.  _______ (s/l the word "law") copies less than 1.68.    Any help appreciated. :) ...

How To Type UIU - In Labs
Nov 14, 2009

IU is on our dangerous abreviations list - Internation Units - wondering how to type uIU   thanks! ...

Regarding Labs - S/l NSDs - Thanks
Jan 26, 2010

same note with the Epstein-Barr virus the bllank sound slike - If "NSDs" do not elucidate We have elected to go ahead and repeat some blood work today, including another CBC, inflammatory markers, and serologies for EBV and CMV.  If _____ do not elucidate a cause, as long as his CBC and chemistries are normal, I think that viral etiology still is the likely explanation and would recommend ongoing observation at this point. ...

Help With Labs/ESL Dictator
Mar 01, 2010

This is what it sounds like. "His WBC 11.48, and his 12.4 and 37.0 PT/PTT were normal." It seems like "PT/PTT were normal." Should be a sentence on its own, but then I'm not sure what the 12.4 and 37.0 lab values would be for. Grr... Any help would be greatly appreciated! ...