A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

semicolons in lab values? - Nana

Posted: Oct 31, 2013

Was corrected to semicolons in my lab values from commas to semicolons in between each value.  Is this correct?  I have never done this or been told to do this in all my years of doing this job.  Thanks in advance.

I think someone's being a little overzealous - semicolons

[ In Reply To ..]
Maybe it's a complex sentence. For instance: Glucose values were 103, 98, 168, 115; BUN 10, creatinine 0.1.

But even then, it wouldn't be semicolons between all the values. It would be madness to correct VR in this way. VR is confused enough as it is. You should take this up with your QC.

Semis - Mt

[ In Reply To ..]
If semicolons are right I have been doing it wrong since day 1! Maybe the doctor dictated semicolon after each one and that is why they are saying that?

semicolons in lab values? - Nana

[ In Reply To ..]
Nope, doctor did not dictate it. Is anyone else noticing that they are having their reports looked at more? All of a sudden, this week, this has been the third time I have gotten feedback on reports. Maybe I am on the way out? I don't worry about being put on 100% QA, as I am already getting minimum wage averaging 200 lines an hour. I hate speech wreck, too easy to miss a word here and there.

it could be a couple of things - MME

[ In Reply To ..]
The doc could be on 100%; some of them are. Even a few work types are 100%. Or you could have been picked to have a percentage of your work reviewed. QCs can do this, not sure if they do it at random or for a reason. If you were 100% you'd know it. Unless your feedback is coming from AuditX. That's something else entirely.
What is AuditX? - nm
[ In Reply To ..]
Nm
another layer of QA - see message
[ In Reply To ..]
there's the QA the MMEs do, and the QA your QC does. The auditors look at the work after it's delivered to the facility. Your QC should be emailing those results to you.

I'm an MME and I would never DREAM ... - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
... of changing all those commas to semicolons. Do you have any idea how long that would take? Holy smokes, I would go out of my mind!

suddenly I hear a heavily accented voice in my head "shimmy columns" - comma not zzz

[ In Reply To ..]
And he never, ever requested them in correct places. lol

We do our best. Micromanagers need punched in the fairnix.
comma not zzz - NY MT
[ In Reply To ..]
You really made me giggle! Thanks for that :)

the only time I do semicolons in a list - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
Is if there are colons within the list of colons.. The patient takes Tylenol; aspirin; Counadin 2 mg Mon, Wed, Fri, and 1 mg the remainder of the days; levothyroxine..bla bla.

Zealot Comma Control Freaks - seeing it a lot lately

[ In Reply To ..]
We have a couple of doctors on 100% QA & I NEVER have any problems with them, but lately the MMEs have been shredding them, especially commas and semicolons. Bunch of BS.

semicolons in meds? - mt

[ In Reply To ..]
Just wondering if anyone ever uses semicolons with medications. Once in a while I do.

sometimes you have to - see message

[ In Reply To ..]
Semicolons are properly used in complex sentences. If any clause of the sentence requires a comma, then each clause needs to be separated by a semicolon.

semicolons - sm - mt

[ In Reply To ..]
Thanks for your reply. Would appreciate very much if you would give some examples of where you might put a semicolon in your medication list (paragraph form).

Labs and semi-colons - see msg

[ In Reply To ..]
If there is a related string, commas are perfectly appropriate. CBC: Sodium 137, potassium 3...

If there are commas in an unrelated string, then semi-colons or periods should be used. Sodium 137; BUN 6. OR--Sodium 137. BUN 6.

If unsure, periods or semi-colons should be used. Never sodium 137, BUN 6.

Labs and semicolons - Snicker

[ In Reply To ..]
I think you're mistaken. Sodium and BUN are both part of BMP or CMP (not CBC) and do not need semicolons between them. If it was sodium 138, BUN 30; WBC 11.2, hemoglobin 6; troponin 0.01--that would be correct.

Similar Messages:

Semicolons In Vital Signs???
Nov 05, 2013

Since when are vital signs separated by semicolons?  Did I miss something??? My feedback - VITAL SIGNS:  Blood pressure is 183/111; pulse is 88;88, respiratory rate 18;18, temperature 97;97, oxygen 96%.96.   ...

ABG VALUES
Nov 11, 2009

Is the base excess in ABG values always a negative?  I have only heard things such as base excess -2.9.  However, this doctor is stating just base excess of 2.9.  ...

Opinion On Lab Values
Nov 22, 2009

Do some of these lab values seem impossibly high, particularly the AST and ALT?  He clearly states these values. Her Chem-7 from yesterday revealed sodium 134, potassium 7.8, chloride 92, bicarbonate 25, sugar 293, BUN 120, creatinine 7.2, calcium 8.8, AST 2898, ALT 3595, ammonia 97, total bilirubin 2.3.  ...

PSA Values-urology
Apr 25, 2011

Ok.  I have a question about how to properly transcribe PSA values.  In every previous job I have had transcribing urology notes, I was told that if they give you a single number like 1,2,3..to transcribe it as 1.0, 2.0, 3.0, etc.  I would get in trouble if I left off the .0 after the number.  I also think this looks better on paper.  However, my editor on this account (who I think is very old-school) says to leave the .0 off.  What do you guys think? I already had ...

Corporate Values
Oct 14, 2011

Medquist recruitment ad: Join a Corporate Team with Corporate Values! MedQuist's values of Customer Focus, Commitment, Teamwork and Integrity provide the framework for everything we do as an organization. I would rather go to an OWS rally. ...

New ISR Laboratory Values
Jan 29, 2013

"urine was clear with a small amount of bilirubin, Cheetos +15." Wow, I didn't know Cheetos could show up in your urine...  My, my.       ...

Dictating Lab Values
Jul 06, 2013

dictating lab values: albumin 2.7, low. s/l "HU" ratio low at 0.6. ?? Thank you!! ...

Typing Vision Values
Feb 22, 2010

Hello, Just wondering if anyone knows how to type out when the doc says "20/70 minus" for a vision value???? I can't find how to format it anywhere.. Input much appreciated! Nicole ...

He Is Dictating Lab Values, Pc02, Po2, Ph
Aug 02, 2010

he is dictating lab values, pc02, po2, ph, and something that sounds like BASE EXCESS, ...

3 Values For Blood Pressure?
Dec 29, 2010

Is this something new I haven't heard of before, or just a misspeak? ...

RMT Exam Normal Lab Values ?
Sep 05, 2011

I am preparing for the RMT exam. How much detail of the normal lab values do I need to know? Do I have to memorize all the normal values at the least? I find that impossible. Do I have to know what test will diagnose for which disease or particular study? For example, do I have to know that white blood cells are involved in the CBC test or that PSA stands for prostrate specific antigen and is a cancer marker? How much information about the drugs do I need to know?  What kind of lab valu ...

MModal Core Values
May 10, 2013

I know this is a silly question, but where can I find the core values of this company, if it has any at all.  I was just curious and kind of just want to compare with how we are treated and laugh. ...

QA Changed Text To Wrong Values
May 27, 2011

If QA changes a lab value to something that is possibly wrong, will I be blamed for that mistake or can they tell who changed it???? ...

His Hematocrit Is Actually Very Stable S/L Rel-uv To Prior Values, Although I Think It Will Drop Som
Dec 30, 2009

ty ...

Lab Values - Convert Decimals To Regular Number
Mar 14, 2011

Sorry, my math really sucks and I can't seem to find a site that will 'convert' decimals to regular numbers.  If a patient's lab test reads as 23.0 and the doctor dictates it as 23,000 are these both correct ways of putting it?  Also had absolute segment coung of 17.48 that was dictated as 17, 480 and bands of 0.23 that were dictated as 230.  If these are just other ways of expressing the same number and are all correct, great- I just want to be sure that is the case.  I ...

Grip Strength Is Equal To The S/l Mean Norminant Values
Apr 20, 2012

I have never heard this. ...

Dictators Give The Labs With The Values First - Like 147 Sodium, 4.2 Potassium
Aug 18, 2011

Don't you hate it when dictators give the labs with the values first - like 147 sodium, 4.2 potassum, etc and then switch it part way through back to glucose 110 - that gets me so screwed up. ...

Lab Values "comma S"
Nov 24, 2010

Dictated "myoglobin comma S". I can't verify what this means or if it correct. I am thinking the S stands for serial or serum? Any help appreciated. ...

Lab Values: "hepo B And Hepo A1" ...sm
Jan 17, 2012

In a listing of lab values, he dictates "hepo B 109, hepo A1 170" and LP(a) 39 so I assume they belong with the rest of the cholesterol panel but I can't find these abbreviations or if they are spelled right, etc. Thanks for your help! ...