A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Question for new graduates; Seasoned MTs welcome to respond also - Michelle

Posted: Feb 13, 2011

From reading post after post on the New MTs Board, it seems like one of the main reasons a lot of people chose the Medical Transcription field is because they were lured in by the “work at home, when you want” dream.  But when reading through the job opening ads, any type of flexibility is usually reserved for Independent Contractor positions, and IC positions usually want lots of experience so the MT can work with little or no supervision.

On top of that, at least in my opinion, it appears that in this cut-throat world of bidding wars, TAT has become a major issue.  It seems that the option of 24-hour TAT is dwindling as each day passes. 

So, these questions are mainly for recent graduates.  I would like to know from anyone who just gotten their first job within the past couple of years: 

1.  Was your very first job as an Employee or as an Independent Contractor?

2.  Did your very first job have a set schedule or were you able to “work when you wanted?” 

3.  If you have had more and 1 job since graduating and now work a truly flexible schedule, how many months/years or how many jobs did it take you before you got your truly flexible schedule? 

4.  Is your flexible schedule as an Employee or as an Independent Contractor?  

Don’t want to leave out any seasoned MTs who have an opinion.  So, if you can remember back to your first job (not implying your memory is anything but sharp as a tack), please also answer the above questions, just kindly indicate how many years it took you to get to your “flexible” status and how many total years you have been in the profession.

I am hoping the answers to the above questions will be instrumental in opening the eyes of some of the “pajama mamas” who think we are all a bunch of bitter old naysayers and the only reason we tell prospective students to look into other careers is because we are jealous of them or something equally absurd.  

I worked inhouse for years before going home. Started - in a large clinic. NM

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

I am in an internship - With possible job placement when I am done

[ In Reply To ..]
I graduated in May 2010, and have just gotten this opportunity at the end of January. I did not take this solely for the work at home aspect, but to better myself.

How did you get an internship? nm - nm

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

My view - xmtso

[ In Reply To ..]
Self-taught in the Dark Ages - However, I had nurses training (not the degree)which included college level A&P, chemistry, microbiology, as well as the invaluable education from the nursing instructors.

I raised 3 kids, the first was an infant when I landed my first MT position. TAT was a week :) I worked all hours of the day and night then, but that's not what you wanted to know.

As I look around at my cohorts and I observe what's REAL and what's implied, I can tell you the days of a flexible schedule are dwindling. I currently work as an IC for one company and an employee for another. My IC position is a true IC position (I wouldn't work as an IC any other way) but they still know when to expect me since I pretty much stick to the same schedule every day. The employee position is about as close to being in stone as possible. If I'm supposed to be on at 3 and am not by 3:15, I'm either getting a phone call or an email asking what's up.

I think with MT in transition as it is now, you will see schedules being pushed more and more. Companies have to do this because the accounts wouldn't be covered for the (IMO) unrealistic TATs some companies promise.

As the competition for MT positions increases, I think we'll see schedules but allowance of flexibility (if you're willing to do that). This usually means promising to come back to work at night if you needed to be gone for some reason during the day.

With AHDI pushing for credentialing, and I predict that will be successful, you'll find the "olden days" of the lovely chill with your family while you work is more and more unrealistic.

Why would credentialing affect how you do your job. You get - credentials then work as usual. nm

[ In Reply To ..]
x

It won't - xmtso

[ In Reply To ..]
It's going to affect whether or not you get hired. So any MT who can't pass the credentialing exam may have even more difficulty finding a position.

Similar Messages:

? For You Seasoned MTs!
Jun 13, 2011

UGH!!  Where do you begin to tell someone who says "Ohhh how can I get into the field of what you are doing" ???  A "friend of a friend of a friend" asked my BF if I could "help her" figure out what the best way would be for her to get into MT!!  I pulled up some local community college links for her (Gee, if you are even a LITTLE smart, you could have done this for yourself) ... Any suggestions/ideas on how to handle this situation. It really cracks me up how people just think o ...

How Long Does It Take A Seasoned MT To Do 400-500 LPH
Dec 19, 2009

nm ...

How Many Years Does It Take To Be Considered A Seasoned MT?
Dec 02, 2010

I wanted to know what is considered a rookie MT and what is considered a seasoned MT. Thanks In Advance ...

Productivity Questions For You Seasoned MTs
Jun 29, 2011

From what I've read, most places require a daily minimum of 1000-1500 (varies) per day. I was wondering, on average, how long does it take a new MT to be able to reach this? Also, do you usually exceed your minimum? If so, by how much? I understand that these kinds of things will vary greatly from one MT to the next, I am just trying to get a general idea. Thanks in advance for your input! :) ...

Opinions Wanted From Seasoned MTs Regarding MT Training
Jan 12, 2010

Opinions wanted.  Should instructors at Medical Transcription Schools have prior experience as a Medical Transcriptionist?  Can someone who has never done Medical Transcription themselves teach someone else properly? If I spend $2650 plus $355 for “hardcover medical dictionaries,” I would hope the person instructing me at least had a clue how to use them.             Here is a job opening posting:    P ...

Seasoned MTs Changing Companies After Years?
Mar 02, 2015

Hi.  I've been with the same company for years and am so unhappy with it.  I'd like to maybe work for another company, but it doesn't seem worth it.  After years of building up my glossaries, I'd be starting all over again from scratch and I've heard bad things about every company out there it seems.  Plus, I'm sure my pay would be lower to start.  Anyone go to a different company after years with the same one?   ...

To Seasoned MTs: How Long Does It Take Before You Realize That A Company Is Not A Good Fit? Sm
Nov 12, 2009

Basically meaning that the platform is not going to MT friendly or you're going to spend too much time filling in patient demo, or a myriad of any other reasons.  And once you found out that it wasn't going to work out, how long did you stick it out? ...

Who Do You Go To When Your CCM Won't Respond?
Sep 09, 2010

I have had no work this entire week.  The only day I got to work that I was scheduled was Sunday.  Since then, NJA for my ENTIRE shift EVERY DAY!! I sent an email to my CCM stating that I cannot continue like this.  I want to know why I am not getting any work and if it is because our accounts don't have any work, I want to be put on an account that DOES have work. I have emailed and emailed and called and called, and she doesn't respond (not that this is new, mind you ...

Please Respond
Apr 06, 2011

I agreed to do a STAT job that was only to be 90 min of dictation within a 24-hour period of time.  When I first responded to do this job, I was told they found someone else to do it.  I then recieved a phone stating that the original transcriptionist bailed on her and could I do it. However, not only did she want the 90 min dictation she wanted a 31 min multi-speaker consultation as well, STAT.  The audio was sent in a format that was not compatible with a foot pedal.  I did the 31 min job, ...

Anyone Who Has Taken FMLA Please Respond
Apr 24, 2015

Hi, I'm considering filing intermittent FMLA for chronic photophobia.  Periodically I cannot look at the monitor and thus cannot work because of it. I have 8 hours PTO left and if I am out of PTO, I need FMLA to cover me taking off without pay. I'm a good producer, show up and work my schedule, high quality, and handle 4 accounts on a weird evening/weekend shift (my choice of work times) so that I do not run out of work.  Previous to this year, I was rarely OOW, but now eve ...

Patient Slow To Respond
Oct 13, 2009

Okay, the physician is unintelligible.  Says the patient is perfectly healthy, but he cannot understand why the patient is so slow to respond.  Duh....Dr. even has the audicity to suggest a neruology consult to see why the patient answers questions so slowly.  Like my brother'in-law was asked if he had "hot buns."  for heartburn.  Sigh.  ...

Anyone Respond To OTI Ad And Hear Back?
Feb 08, 2011

Was just wondering if any of you submitted a response to their ad and heard back from them.  Thanks! ...

Current Precyse MTs Please Respond
May 31, 2013

I have been invited to test with Precyse.  I was just wondering of any current Precyse MTs could tell me if Precyse is a good company to work for, i.e. pay on time, straight typing or speech rec, good platform, responsive management/TL, benefits any good, vacation time available, etc.  I am currently working for a good company but the days/hours stink; so, don't want to jump into the fire so to speak.  Thanks so much for your response ahead of time. ...

Two Questions....respond Please If You Have The Time.
Dec 21, 2014

I have 2 questions that I wold really love some feedback on.  It's not important how long I have been transcribing, the fact is that I have worked for some major MTSOs over the years and the llongest I have ever been on 100% QA is 3-4 weeks, more likely 1-2 weeks.  Now that I am starting my second month with Nuance I have been placed on 3 separate aaccounts.  The first 2 I was fine with, but then they sent me an emial stating that I would be switched over to a new go-live acc ...

HELP! Getting Inquiries From Local MDs But I Have No Idea How To Respond.
Dec 09, 2009

Yes, I know we get lots of these questions every day but here's one I don't think has been touched on lately.  I was recently approached by an old employer about giving my information to another MD for transcription work. I told her that she can definitely give out my info if she new someone that needed transcription work done.  I didn't really think it would go anywhere, as that's the way it happens in this town, nothing ever comes to fruition. However, today I g ...

Please Respond To Vacation Coverage Question?
May 26, 2010

I have put in a request for time off and have been told that I need to find coverage for that day.  I am a subcontractor.  Is this normal? ...

Anyone Respond To P.r.n. Positions At Medscribe -- I Believe They Are In Florida.
Mar 14, 2012

I just got an email about these positions.  Sounds good to me.  I only want part-time work, so this would be right up my alley.  The pay is kind of low in the beginning, but they do raise you to 8 c/l after probation.  not too shabby huh???  What opinions are there here regarding this company?  Good, bad or otherwise???  I saw their web site here and it sounds okay, but then you never know.  Anyone currently working for this company now???? ...

Anybody Know If Nuance Takes Forever To Respond To
Mar 21, 2014

an application?  I submitted one at least 2 weeks ago... and it was no easy process as I couldn't log into the system, yada, yada.  So, that makes me even wonder if they got my app and resume.  But is it normal that they take forever to respond?  Or is it normal if they don't want you, that they just ignore you?  I just would prefer closure.  I know Nuance well, as far as I know its not the dream job, to say the least.  Just wondering what's up w ...

How Do I Respond To The Psych Eval Posting?
May 08, 2014

How do I respond to the Psych Eval MT position?  There is no email address given in the post and when I try to reply by MT Stars email it gives me a failure notice.  Thanks! ...

Are Any Of U Careerstep.com Graduates?
Nov 01, 2009

I am about 2 weeks away from the final and would take any advise on the final, the job search and any other great advise you can give me. I am hoping to work from home to take care of my son. Good companies, bad companies? how is the pay for new graduates? ...

Jobs For New Graduates
Mar 20, 2010

Does anyone know of a company who will hire newbies?  I have been doing this for 15 years, but a family member has just graduated and is looking for a job.  Any help for her would be appreciated.  Thanks. ...

RMT Exam Graduates
Sep 08, 2011

I'm currently studying for the RMT exam. I was wondering of those who have taken it and passed, what helpful hints you might have for preparing for this exam? I've got a study guide through ADHI that I'm working through. I'm also going over all the books and terminology flashcards I recieved through At-Home Professions. Also, how many weeks did you study for this exam? I am hoping to take 4 weeks, but have heard of some who spent six weeks or more preparing. And, lastly, di ...

Any Graduates Of Andrews Or M-Tec?
Sep 04, 2012

Would like to know if any graduates of Andrews or M-Tec became employed shortly after completing course and how much I could be expected to earn on a part-time basis (20 hrs/wk)? ...

Andrews Graduates, Did You Get A Job?
Mar 02, 2015

I am seriously considering going into the coding program with Andrews soon. My main concern just lies in finding employment after I finish and become certified. Can any Andrews graduates share their experiences? Were you able to find employment quickly? Was anyone able to start working from home immediately? There are 2 hospitals in my town, but it is not a huge city, and I am afraid employment opportunities may be limited here locally. Anything you can tell me that might be useful would be much ...

Any New Andrews Graduates??
Mar 21, 2015

Just curious if there are any new Andrews graduates (in the last 30 days) that are having success finding a job? I am looking to start this program soon and do not want to jump from the frying pan into the fire, so to speak...been an MT for MANY, MANY years.... Are there jobs out there?  How hard are they to find/get? What is general starting pay? Feeling anxious/nervous/excited.... ...

Read Something About What Would Go Against Someone In A Coding Interview. Coders Please Respond :)
Dec 05, 2012

I am still a student, so I am still very naive about a few things involving this grand new venture.   But, since I am almost done with my 4th module at Andrews and getting ready to tackle the certification exams, I have been doing a lot of research and reading about people obtainng their first coding jobs or something in HIM.  I read one scenario where the employer was telling of how she narrows it down to 3 candidates.  Of course, if one goes into an interview and seems as i ...

What Do You Do When MTSO Doesn't Respond To Emails Or Let You Know When Work Will Be Available?
Sep 09, 2013

This is my first experience with this and it sucks!!  In training, I had a lot of work and I was told to expect between 80 to 100 minutes a day.  It was close to that the first week.  Now it's going on the third week and I have hardly any work, don't when I will have work, email them asking about work, and no one responds.  I turned down another job for this and I am Pis*%.  Any advice appreciated.  ...

Any Companies Hiring New Graduates??
Feb 05, 2010

Are there any companies hiring new graduates? I can't seem to get my foot in a door. Everyone wants experience. ...

Do You Know Any Companies That Hire New Graduates.
Jun 18, 2010

We need a start somewhere to get the experience. Looking forward to your reply.   Thank You Lena ...

Accentus - Hire New Graduates? -nm
Jan 26, 2011

x ...