A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Opinions wanted from seasoned MTs regarding MT training - I think this is wrong

Posted: Jan 12, 2010

Opinions wanted.  Should instructors at Medical Transcription Schools have prior experience as a Medical Transcriptionist?  Can someone who has never done Medical Transcription themselves teach someone else properly? If I spend $2650 plus $355 for “hardcover medical dictionaries,” I would hope the person instructing me at least had a clue how to use them. 

Here is a job opening posting: 

Part-time, approximately $14.00 per hour.

TRANSCRIPTION INSTRUCTOR and will train (Chicago)

Date: 2010-01-09, 10:24AM CST
Reply to:

INSTRUCTOR   POSITION

XXX Medical Transcription School wishes to hire a Student Instructor-Representative. Great opportunity for the right person to work from home in the healthcare and education fields. We may also provide a free education in Medical Transcription to the employee.

XXX is an online Medical Transcription placement school. We provide home-based medical transcription training to students from all over the nation. All of our students study at home in order to be placed in a Work-from-Home Job in Medical Transcription. We place 100% of our graduates in home-based jobs. All of our students have their own online instructor; a trained instructor who can always be reached by email or phone.

We are looking for the right person who would like to train to be an online instructor in the Chicago or surrounding area. We need instructors in all time zones and areas to maintain our high standard of training and student support.

Qualifications for immediate employment:

High School Diploma
Organizational talent
Good communication skills
At least 1 year of experience with Microsoft Word, Outlook and Excel and proof of expertise
You’ll need your own computer and high speed internet connection. AND MOST IMPORTANTLY--- A high degree of patience and empathy in student support!

About Hiring Opportunities:

- We will train you and you start as a student representative/instructor
- All advancements are contingent upon growing with and advancing beyond your individual intern level
- You will also receive a free medical transcription education from our school if you pass our internship period and;
- Show that you diligently work with students and graduates of our training and guaranteed placement program

Duties include:
• Grading tests
• Answering student questions
• Contacting students by email or phone
• Sending handouts and quizzes by email
• Learning how to post in our student forum
• Speaking with applicants prior to enrolling
• Organizing and distributing Outlook mailing lists
• Organizing student records in Word, Excel and Outlook

Advancement opportunities

1. Promotions
2. Job Security in the medical and education fields
3. Advancement to a Master Instructor Position as a trained Medical Transcriptionist

PLEASE NO PHONE CALLS. CALLING WILL DISQUALIFY YOU!

Thanks from our personel department.

• Compensation: $1200 per month for part time
  • Telecommuting is ok.
  • This is a part-time job.
  • OK to highlight this job opening for persons with disabilities
  • Principals only. Recruiters, please don't contact this job poster.
  • Please, no phone calls about this job!
  • Please do not contact job poster about other services, products or commercial interests.

Should teacher be an MT - oldone

[ In Reply To ..]
I have taught MT before. I could not have done it had I not been an MT before trying to teach. I don't care what anyone says...need to have done the job before you try to teach it. Of course, this is just my opinion but I've been an MT for 37 years.

Could not agree with you more. To me it is no different than asking ... - Just sayin ....

[ In Reply To ..]
someone who does not speak fluent Spanish to teach a Spanish class.

Oh, that's just wrong (sm) - Long time MT

[ In Reply To ..]
This school is apparently trying to go cheap. That's just ridiculous. Why would anyone pay good money to be supposedly taught something by someone who has never done it? It's yet another way they demean our profession and trivialize what it is we have to know.

Kinda like trying to learn to be a cowboy from someone who - doesnt know which end the hay goes into -

[ In Reply To ..]
... or comes out of.

The schools are as much of a SCAM as the rest of - this nasty profession has become. nm

[ In Reply To ..]

pay is too low for exp MT to even look at that job - forget it

[ In Reply To ..]
xx

If one is going to TEACH something to paying students, - Zircon

[ In Reply To ..]
then for crissakes the teacher should not only be a REAL MT, but should be a top-notch one, at that. An expert in their field. And their pay as a teacher should reflect that.

At this point I think a newbie MT would get the same education if they hopped a plan to India, instead of paying thru the nose to get it here in the US. Oh, wait. I'll bet that's the whole idea, right?

yes, how can he teach if he doesn't know?...nm - MTing

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

MT Instructor Qualifications - Linda Andrews

[ In Reply To ..]
I didn't notice the name of the employer if it was there or whether or not this is a private school or community college. Most states have boards or agencies which evaluate and license schools, at least private vocational schools like mine. There are specific requirements for instructors. Back in the old days community colleges and some private schools would just hire a nurse to teach MT. My own personal opinion is that someone who instructs people in Medical Transcription should know how to do it themselves. Not only that, they need to have been successful at it.

Like having QA who is not an MT.....ridiculous! - nm

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

I've had plenty of jobs where I was trained by the clueless - but a college should have higher standards

[ In Reply To ..]
I can't count all the non-MT jobs I've had where I got trained by a supervisor who had never done my job and had absolutely no idea how to do it. Usually there was a manual somewhere for me to read and figure it out myself (and if not, I always got stuck writing one for the next guy).

Its absolutely disgusting for a school to expect you to PAY to get taught by someone with no knowledge, however. I am really sick of people acting as if having an almighty degree means you know anything! I've met too many clueless little know-it-alls fresh out of college who thought they knew everything until they attempted to actually work...and this only takes it a step further down if they're getting taught by more of the same!

So this is what "education" is coming to - throw money until you get the degree, yet learn nothing because your instructors know nothing?!? What a disgusting scam! I wish society would quit worshiping dubious degrees and promote on-the-job hands-on training!

Similar Messages:

Moderator...question About The Job Wanted Board...can We List Our Training/school?
May 05, 2010

As a new graduate, it would great for those seeking employment if we could list our training/school. Just a thought as I've been reading through lots of forums of job ads that say no newbies unless you were a student of a few select schools. Thoughts?? ...

SoftScript Called Me Today And Wanted To Know If I Wanted To Work For Them
Jun 11, 2010

Although I work for Spheris/Medquist right now, SoftScript called me today and wanted to know if I wanted to work for them. I had applied with them before being hired by Spheris. They assured me they DO have work right now. ...

? For You Seasoned MTs!
Jun 13, 2011

UGH!!  Where do you begin to tell someone who says "Ohhh how can I get into the field of what you are doing" ???  A "friend of a friend of a friend" asked my BF if I could "help her" figure out what the best way would be for her to get into MT!!  I pulled up some local community college links for her (Gee, if you are even a LITTLE smart, you could have done this for yourself) ... Any suggestions/ideas on how to handle this situation. It really cracks me up how people just think o ...

How Long Does It Take A Seasoned MT To Do 400-500 LPH
Dec 19, 2009

nm ...

How Many Years Does It Take To Be Considered A Seasoned MT?
Dec 02, 2010

I wanted to know what is considered a rookie MT and what is considered a seasoned MT. Thanks In Advance ...

Productivity Questions For You Seasoned MTs
Jun 29, 2011

From what I've read, most places require a daily minimum of 1000-1500 (varies) per day. I was wondering, on average, how long does it take a new MT to be able to reach this? Also, do you usually exceed your minimum? If so, by how much? I understand that these kinds of things will vary greatly from one MT to the next, I am just trying to get a general idea. Thanks in advance for your input! :) ...

Question For New Graduates; Seasoned MTs Welcome To Respond Also
Feb 13, 2011

From reading post after post on the New MTs Board, it seems like one of the main reasons a lot of people chose the Medical Transcription field is because they were lured in by the “work at home, when you want” dream.  But when reading through the job opening ads, any type of flexibility is usually reserved for Independent Contractor positions, and IC positions usually want lots of experience so the MT can work with little or no supervision. On top of that, at least in my opinio ...

Seasoned MTs Changing Companies After Years?
Mar 02, 2015

Hi.  I've been with the same company for years and am so unhappy with it.  I'd like to maybe work for another company, but it doesn't seem worth it.  After years of building up my glossaries, I'd be starting all over again from scratch and I've heard bad things about every company out there it seems.  Plus, I'm sure my pay would be lower to start.  Anyone go to a different company after years with the same one?   ...

To Seasoned MTs: How Long Does It Take Before You Realize That A Company Is Not A Good Fit? Sm
Nov 12, 2009

Basically meaning that the platform is not going to MT friendly or you're going to spend too much time filling in patient demo, or a myriad of any other reasons.  And once you found out that it wasn't going to work out, how long did you stick it out? ...

Wanted To Go PT
Jun 04, 2013

My plan was to retire PT and work PT, however, I was told MModal is no longer allowing employees to go PT only if you are grandfathered in.  Yet, today I see on MTJobs MModal is looking for PT workers.  If I do not go PT, I will lose quite a bit of money monthly from SS retirement.  I also was told we are only allowed to take 3 sick days a year.   ...

Info Wanted
Nov 11, 2009

I've been an IC for 10 years with the same company.  Made excellent money working only part time.  This company has now lost a lot of accounts and work has slowed to almost nothing (had no work so far today).  Now I'm looking into getting a job through one of these national companies and have been reading the posts made here and have sent my resume to a couple places.  I feel shell-shocked with all the questions.  Can anyone tell me what these na ...

NEW: Job Wanted Board -- SM
May 03, 2010

We now have a Job Wanted board available.  This is a board for you to make confidential posts that list what you are looking for in your job search.  There are many ways to use the Job Wanted board.  There are also safe practices you, as posters, should take for professional security. Posters responding to your job-wanted ad can be recruiters, facilities, any business wanting to respond to you.  Other fellow posters (MTs) can also make suggestions about companies ...

Re: Job Wanted Board
Jun 05, 2010

I was just wondering if anybody has gotten a response from a company yet? I am on there and I have not heard a thing. If this is not in the right spot, I am not sure exactly where to post this! ...

This Is Tammy...just Wanted To Say.....
Nov 01, 2011

Thank you to all of you who have gotten in touch.  I really loved working with each and every one of you and your support and concern is so truly appreciated!  But you know what?  Honestly, I am looking at this as a blessing in disguise.  I would not want to work for a company that constantly lies to its employees and has no regard for anything other than their own pockets.  Please keep in touch.  You can all still contact me at tpkj05@yahoo.com or ca ...

I Know It Is A Little Early, But I Wanted To Be The First.
Dec 31, 2011

nm ...

At Home Job Wanted
Apr 08, 2013

I am looking for an at home job and can not find any entry level positions. Does anyone have any advice please???? ...

QA And Fiesa Your Help Wanted Ad!
Oct 10, 2014

You expect nothing less than perfection from your unappreciated MLS but you do not know there is an "M" in ambulatory??????????????!  ...

REFERENCE BOOKS - HELP WANTED!
Dec 16, 2009

I just started this new job 2 weeks ago working for a plastic surgeon.  Now trying to build my reference book library.  What books would you recommend?  I know I need a PDR...I'm having trouble deciding which one would be best.  I also am needing a good Plastic/Cosmetic surgery reference book.....any recommendations? Thanks in advance for your help. ...

I Just Wanted To Take A Quick Minute To Say I Really
Feb 22, 2010

An hour or two ago, I had a word question and put it on the word board and within a matter of five minutes, someone posted the answer.  I know we all have our own opinions and experiences but I am an MT with 20 plus years of experience and my mind just went blank on this word.  Well, I was glad this fellow MT helped me out, so I did not have to send this to QA.  I looked up the word again myself just to be certain not that I doubted this other MT and then I took a minute to thank ...

Encouragement And/or Opinions Wanted
Feb 27, 2010

Hey all, I'm seriously thinking about dropping MQ and transcription in general as the outlook looks grim.  I was thinking of going to school as a pharmacist.  If anybody knows what such job is like and can give me their opinion and maybe some encouragement to make such a move, I would appreciate it.  TIA! ...

So Finally We Have A Job Wanted Board!
May 03, 2010

See the menu on left under Job Seeker's Board or here is the direct link. http://forum.mtstars.com/wanted/ ...

Something Noticed On The Job Wanted Board,
May 04, 2010

your job-hunting results.  There are a lot of people with 10-20+ years' experience seeking work.  I'm in the same boat.  My experience so far has been that NOBODY is interested in hiring older, highly-experienced MTs.  Any of you starting to feel that vibe? So I'd be interested to know what sort of results you get from the Jobs Wanted board.  When you truthfully state your many years of experience, are you getting any offers?  Are they willing to com ...

Pt Wanted To Be Put On S/l Wacheluss For Constipation
May 05, 2010

s/l wacheluss?  I could not find this in constipation drugs. ...

Curious About The Job Wanted Board . . .
May 17, 2010

I am curious if anyone who has posted on the Job Wanted Board if you have actually had anyone contact you regarding your experience.   I am wondering if companies actually look at this or are other MTs seeing who their competition is . . .   Just curious.  thanks ...

Job Wanted Board - Any Contacts Yet?
May 18, 2010

Just curious if anyone is getting contacted from the job wanted board?  Thanks ...

Input Wanted From My Fellow MQ'rs
Jun 10, 2010

I'm totally getting burned out at MQ.  If it's not the NJA with requests to change schedule, then it's the lack of primary and getting other unknown accounts slowing me down.  I've gone from full-time at MQ down to working part-time with another part-time job to make up lost income now for the past 7 months.  When I started MT'ing so many years ago, the pay was great and being able to set my own schedule was a real plus as well.  It was the ...

Has Anyone Ever Gotten A Job Offer From The Job Wanted Board?
Jul 31, 2010

Just curious...has anyone ever gotten a job from their posting on the job wanted board? There seem to be many Mts looking for work. It would be interesting to know how many MTs have work that want to work. ...

If Wanted To Warn About A Company
Sep 05, 2010

If I wanted to warn potential applicants about a company (or in particular, the one person from *** who is allowed to make life miserable for the transcriptionist) that I see is advertising for positions (again) , would be that be an ethical thing to do?  I would not want anybody to go through what myself and 3 others have been through. ...

Has Anyone Gotten A Job After Posting On Job Wanted Board?
Oct 24, 2010

I am thinking about posting there, but wondered if anyone had any luck finding a decent job that way. ...

QA/EDITOR INFO WANTED.
Nov 04, 2010

Hi all.  Can anyone tell me what the scenario is nowdays with MQ QA/editors?  Do they still have just QA or is it QA combined with transcription?  Do they pay per hour and can anyone tell me approximately how much? Thanks in advance. ...