A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Two questions....respond please if you have the time. - Nunya

Posted: Dec 21, 2014

I have 2 questions that I wold really love some feedback on.  It's not important how long I have been transcribing, the fact is that I have worked for some major MTSOs over the years and the llongest I have ever been on 100% QA is 3-4 weeks, more likely 1-2 weeks.  Now that I am starting my second month with Nuance I have been placed on 3 separate aaccounts.  The first 2 I was fine with, but then they sent me an emial stating that I would be switched over to a new go-live account starting in January.  They said that I would be on the early adaptors team and we would have a limited number of doctors and dictations until the go-live on January 6th.  Fair enough. I was also informed that I would no longer be with my current TSM and would have a new one.  She called and introduced herself this week, we had a great get-to-know each other conversation and she was very nice.  She also informed me that I would go from a non-DSP to DSP status on her team.  I remember specifically asking her how she could be sure of that to which she repliied "because my team and I will work night and day until we get you on DSP status.  You will have the best support system as I go above and beyond to make sure my team is up to par, assuring me that I would have the best possible team to work with and so far, from what I have seen, she is right.  She was always available and responded both in chat and via email to answer my questions and concerns.  So I was really good about this switch.  Welll Im llearning very quickly that a good mood doesn't seem to last long because of the constant changes.  So 2 days ago I get an email that states that I was finally DSP.  She said I had a few errors typing the patient's name instead of the patient, but nothing she could see other than a few minor grammar errors, etc.  So of course at this time I was absolutely elated.  I had finally after 2 months reached an acceptable score  of 98.5 or something close that would enable me to get off of QA 100% and I knew that this would also increase my production by plenty.  I had been walking on eggshells with this company because of the stringent and extremely strict QA rules, regulations, etc.  So I was extremely happy up until about 10 minutes later when another email came in saying she had made a mistake when viewing my QA score and it was at 97.6 or somewhere in that area , so she went on to state that she would have her lead QA person chat with me later that day.  I was of course disappointed, but grateful that I would be getting a chance to talk with a QA supervisor about concerns and questions and what I could do to get my QA score up above 99 so that I could become DSP status.  So we had a very nice talk and she even stated at the end of the call, that she felt I would be flying solo in no time, said she could almost guarantee it.  So I on cloud 9 by this time, feeling invincible...you know fthe feeling.  Well my trip to cloud 9 lasted until the next morning when I was told and I "Please resume working on your prior account before coming to _____.  Unfortunately due to your nonDSP status, we are not able to keep you working on the______ go live group.  So there you have it.  I mean thjis was like a slap in the face to me, first you dangle a carrot, then a beet and finallly a steak and then boom....nothing.  I am to go back to my secondary account which is almost done by 100% overseas dictators and is by far the hardest account I have done to this date.  The only positive thing I can say is that it is almost 100% straight typing so at least I will be making a higher line rate, well that is if I dont get fired for my extremely low production due to having to literally reread everything I type and edit.  Pluss the majority of the dictators are extremely difficult as well and there are many different types of templates that need to be inserted and they can be extremely difficult to find on the system due to the way they are abbreviated.  So my first question is this......do you think Im getting a run-around?  This morning I noticed on the system that the account I was just taken off off it backlogged over 100 reports and they are needing help, which I cannot offer at this time.  BTW, I checked in Fiesa for dates ranging from 1 day to a week to 2 weeks and I still do not know where she came up with this 97.5 score.  Everyscore I looked at was 98.59 or higher, but still under 99%.  I have made it my business to be as good as possibly can when transcribing and if it means going that extra mile to find a new med or other term, then I dont mind.  I have been doing that all along.  Which leads me to my second question.  I feel it is virtually impossible to have a QC% of less than 10%...I just do. I don't know anyone who has done it yet and I feel like I will never be able to do it.  We have so many factors that involve proper pending and I just think it is an absolute impossibility to not get thrown by the various factors that we must pend for.  Sorry this was so long.  Again, my first question was do you think I am getting a run-around with this constant changing me around or do you think it is some other reason.  I cannot see them possibly encouraging me like they have done and then just firing me, but then again her emails from day to day were like day and night.  My second question is how long did it take you to get off of non-DSP status.  Please be honest because it will ultimately affect my decision.  Also, do you think it is possible to have a less than 10% QC average?  All comments, responses, etc, will be greatly appreciated.

Don't feel bad...it's not personal....it's just - the Nuance way....

[ In Reply To ..]
they are so unorganized it's ridiculous. And that is just the least of their problems. Anyway, as for your 2 questions, which I think were how long did it take you to get off non-DSP---for me it usually only takes a few days--HOWEVER--it really depends on the account. If it's a horrid one (and aren't most of them anymore)--it could take longer. If it's not quick enough for them, they will yank you off that account. It IS possible to have less than 10% QC--HOWEVER--it's not often likely, esp if you have more than 2-3 accounts at one time, you have a mandatory pend account, horrible dictators, etc, and aren't most of them nowadays. So don't take it personally. They won't fire you (although you may end up wished they would). Just do your best and let the cards fall where they may. It's all any of us can do. Oh, and insist that your TSM show you exactly how they got that score. When you check FIESA, also make you are checking POST-AUDIT reports, as those are supposed to be the only ones that count. Make sure that box is checked. Good luck.

This is exactly how they work - SM

[ In Reply To ..]
I rode that roller coaster for as long as it took me to find another job. The constant up and down, left and right, happy, sad, give, take.... That is what they do. They do it on purpose. I haven't figured out why yet.... When you start having chest pain, you know it's time to get out. This is emotional warfare as far as I am concerned.

Re: Emotional warfare - wheres_my_job

[ In Reply To ..]
You can't realize the truth of this until you actually have another job, out there in the "real world."

In my job now (non-MT, low pay, working with the public), I get holiday pay WITHOUT any formulas or wondering what if, or did you work the day before, or after, it's just THERE. I was going to be short on my hours for the Christmas week, even with my holiday pay - BUT I asked around, and did find someone who wanted more time off, and I switched my shift with them! Just like that! The manager said, "I don't care who's here, I just want someone here."

So I'm going into Christmas week with ZERO concern about the dreaded "NJA," or sitting there for hours on Christmas Eve or Christmas Day, 'cause I'm scheduled, but the work is just trickling in, or getting all the absolute worst dictators that make me want to tear my hair out - meaning, the same atrocious dictator,15 long reports in a row.

No, I'm going to run an errand or so today, relax, do some laundry, read, work on some projects. Which I will also be doing the rest of Christmas week - RELAXING.

I have literally NOT had a Christmas holiday like this - one free of financial anxiety, frustration over being scheduled and there being little work, dribbling in or none, weird rules around holiday pay and time off, etc - in probably A DECADE.

I'm just now beginning to have a daily schedule where I have the energy and motivation for things like laundry, shopping - those "activities of daily living." Medical transcription really sucked that self-care energy (for lack of a better way of putting it) right out of me. Felt like I couldn't lift a finger, I was so depressed.

So, yes, it IS emotional warfare. I can only recommend getting out if you can.

LOL!! Chest pain?!?! I say get going before it even gets that far. - When you feel knots rising up in your...

[ In Reply To ..]
belly and you're sensing the urge to have to go to the bathroom every time you open your email or FIESA, its time to go. Don't wait around for the chest pain.

LOL too funny :) - Nunya

[ In Reply To ..]
It is somewhat comical to read the comments, but you never know. They say stress can kill you or at least make you wish you were dead.

I do believe you are right....my chest hurts just thinking about it...lol. - Nunya

[ In Reply To ..]
You know I just wrote a post yesterday about the toll this was taking on me. I honestly feel like I am losing it..not my mind, but my ability to perform this line of work. I try not to think about it in this way, but when I find myself laying in bed at night and cannot turn the wheels off because I'm constantly worried, well that is definitely taking an emotional toll of me mentally as well as physically. But true to the fighter I am, I shrug it off and keep on keeping on. In the words of Braveheart....every man dies, but not every man really lives. Amen to that!!!

Nunya - Just know that you are not alone. Seriously, it happens to the best of us. - SM

[ In Reply To ..]
Reading your story actually gave me a little bit of comfort, knowing that Im not the only one. I pray it gets better for both of us soon, whether that means looking for another job or whatever the case may be. Don't let it eat away at your self-confidence because that's what it will do if you let it.

At the risk of sounding like a complete dunce, - What is DSP? nm

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

DSP = Direct Send Privileges - justme5

[ In Reply To ..]
That's where you can send directly to the client, without going thru QC first.

I dont know the exact meaning, but based on the context it obviously means - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
being able to directly submit your work straight through to the client without it having to be reviewed by QA first.

Its what every MT starts out at when new to an account or company. Sometimes it can be tough getting off in the beginning when you are dealing with nit-picky QA; sometime I am sure has happened to about 85 to 90% of us at some point in time.

Take it as a sign that - see msg

[ In Reply To ..]
Nuance is not the company for you. I not too long ago started with an MTSO who has nit-picked my work to death. I also, work for a second company I have been with for quite some time and have no problems whatsoever, I'm talking literally I have had several reports with 100%, absolutely no complaints at all except back when I first started with them, I made a few formatting mistakes but I corrected that immediately once it was brought to my attention.

This other company however, its a ridiculous account and had I known how ridiculous, never would have taken the job. The account specs are literally 100 pages long no joke and they are up-dated at least once or twice a week and every doctor wants things done a certain way (you seldom get the same one twice because its a very large account). Also, there is a lot of demographic work to be done. Now, I have mastered all that with notes and little sticky reminders all over my desk, but they are finding ridiculous things such as using a numbered list when the list when the doctor did not indicate a numbered list or typing the headings as dictated in cases where the headings they instruct me to use don't match. I mean really ridiculous stuff. I would like to quit quite honestly as I have been on 100% QA for 4 weeks. I would just assume put in that additional time at my other company without all the stress and QA headache. Honestly, I isn't for me. As no way am I going to be able to make money when I am moving slow as molasses proof-reading each and every single report back with audio before sending. Maybe this is just your cue to move on. Maybe Nuance just isn't the company for you.

Please excuse any typos, as this site seems to be sticking today; I think its the snowflakes.

Quality and production - Rocky

[ In Reply To ..]
This QA thing is driving me nuts!! I would love to know what set of "rules" QA adheres to. For example, I got marked off for not putting a hyphen in followup and then got marked off in the next report for putting it in. Got marked off for not capping a radiology term so next report, got marked off for capping it. These reports are short so all it takes is one stupid ding for something when I am not even incorrect to bring me below the 99!! There are so many incidences like this, I have given up fighting it. It would take forever. I have been doing this for 35 years and need to work but this is ridiculous. I never have any major errors, just nit-picky crap. I am slower than molasses in January because I am worried about crossing every T and dotting every I!! This is no longer a career to be proud of, just numerous slaps in the face and insults daily!!

Same here, no major just nit-picky. I dont think I can go any slower. - nm

[ In Reply To ..]

I wonder when it will dawn on them that this is ultimately affecting production. - Nunya

[ In Reply To ..]
I know exactly what you mean. I am determined to get my score above 99% and so I have started rereading every report I edir or type. Needless to say my production is at an extreme low for me and I'm barely breaking 120 lines per hour, sometimes a little more, most times a little less. But what is one to do? It's like your damned if you do and damned if you don't.

OMG IKR - I had a 28 line report and 1 ding took it WAY down! nm - ANMT

[ In Reply To ..]
nm
At the risk of sounding like a complete dunce, what is a ping? - Nunya
[ In Reply To ..]
I have to ask. I have seen several posts here that mention a ping or being pinged and I really don't know what it is. Anyone care to share me with me?
A ding is when you are marked off and - score lowered
[ In Reply To ..]
..which happens frequently so you can't get on the grid, in other words - Nuance Communications steals Christmas.

First, you have given so much detail in your post that sm - acuteMLS

[ In Reply To ..]
all the people involved with you at N will know who you are. Not a good thing.

Second, you can't be under 99% and be DSP status. It's 99% to be DSP (minimum).

Who cares if anyone can figure out who she is... - she didnt say anything

[ In Reply To ..]
bad. I don't think anyone (like the TSMs, etc) bothers to come here anyway.

Oh they come here - my TSM has always come here - nm

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

QA a long time - CINDY

[ In Reply To ..]
I was on QA pretty long. They have switched me about 4 times now, for various reasons. Don't feel bad. That's they way they are. With their new pay plan you can't win the 10% sending to QA. You are doing the right thing, if the company is going to subtract our pay or whatever for sending to QA then they are encouraging us to not send to QA and that is just making them look bad. Everytime I send something to QA even before this pay plan I was knowing that they were going to find something else in the report to criticize about and mark off my score.

There's no way to win, just go with the flow or find another job that might be better than this one.

very true - hard to get less than 10%

[ In Reply To ..]
Yes even before the new pay plan came into play I hated sending anything to QC b/c I knew that I send for 1 blank and they would have a field day picking the rest of it apart, and they do. I have been on my account since before full go live 4 few years ago. With that said, under the old pay plan, there were plenty of times that I would qualify for weekly bonus, but due to that 10% or less to QC I would never get it...on the account for 4 years. The new pay plan has not made me want to send less of that work to QC b/c fact of the matter is that there is so many variables for things that have to be pended and many out of MTs control. Also, my account is not gravy with a lot of ESL and long dictations and tedious specs. Long dictations with only 1 blank or no blank allowed having to be sent to QC, there are times that I am knocked out of 10% for the week in just 1 day of work. QC pends go by lines you send, not by number of jobs you send and therefore, the longer your jobs are, it doesn't take all that long for that 10% to add up. Again, I have been on this account for 4 years and I rarely make the 10%, so don't feel bad.

My opinion, it is one of those rules for an excuse to cut our pay.

pending - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
I was told that if it's a mistake that we ARE SURE QC can not fix, to send it to the client. I have some really horrible speakers, not ESL, but aaahhhhhh, and who can figure out aaahhhherblalidmv?

This was brought up by someone else besides my TSM, and she got really quiet when they suggested this lol.

IT WOULD help the client to know how hard it is to decipher mouth breathers etc, and it might really motivate them to enunciate. I have never understood why we don't do this.

However, how else would they lower your pay if you didn't have to pend?

I have recently quit this company.

Similar Messages:

Who Do You Go To When Your CCM Won't Respond?
Sep 09, 2010

I have had no work this entire week.  The only day I got to work that I was scheduled was Sunday.  Since then, NJA for my ENTIRE shift EVERY DAY!! I sent an email to my CCM stating that I cannot continue like this.  I want to know why I am not getting any work and if it is because our accounts don't have any work, I want to be put on an account that DOES have work. I have emailed and emailed and called and called, and she doesn't respond (not that this is new, mind you ...

Please Respond
Apr 06, 2011

I agreed to do a STAT job that was only to be 90 min of dictation within a 24-hour period of time.  When I first responded to do this job, I was told they found someone else to do it.  I then recieved a phone stating that the original transcriptionist bailed on her and could I do it. However, not only did she want the 90 min dictation she wanted a 31 min multi-speaker consultation as well, STAT.  The audio was sent in a format that was not compatible with a foot pedal.  I did the 31 min job, ...

Anyone Who Has Taken FMLA Please Respond
Apr 24, 2015

Hi, I'm considering filing intermittent FMLA for chronic photophobia.  Periodically I cannot look at the monitor and thus cannot work because of it. I have 8 hours PTO left and if I am out of PTO, I need FMLA to cover me taking off without pay. I'm a good producer, show up and work my schedule, high quality, and handle 4 accounts on a weird evening/weekend shift (my choice of work times) so that I do not run out of work.  Previous to this year, I was rarely OOW, but now eve ...

Patient Slow To Respond
Oct 13, 2009

Okay, the physician is unintelligible.  Says the patient is perfectly healthy, but he cannot understand why the patient is so slow to respond.  Duh....Dr. even has the audicity to suggest a neruology consult to see why the patient answers questions so slowly.  Like my brother'in-law was asked if he had "hot buns."  for heartburn.  Sigh.  ...

Anyone Respond To OTI Ad And Hear Back?
Feb 08, 2011

Was just wondering if any of you submitted a response to their ad and heard back from them.  Thanks! ...

Current Precyse MTs Please Respond
May 31, 2013

I have been invited to test with Precyse.  I was just wondering of any current Precyse MTs could tell me if Precyse is a good company to work for, i.e. pay on time, straight typing or speech rec, good platform, responsive management/TL, benefits any good, vacation time available, etc.  I am currently working for a good company but the days/hours stink; so, don't want to jump into the fire so to speak.  Thanks so much for your response ahead of time. ...

HELP! Getting Inquiries From Local MDs But I Have No Idea How To Respond.
Dec 09, 2009

Yes, I know we get lots of these questions every day but here's one I don't think has been touched on lately.  I was recently approached by an old employer about giving my information to another MD for transcription work. I told her that she can definitely give out my info if she new someone that needed transcription work done.  I didn't really think it would go anywhere, as that's the way it happens in this town, nothing ever comes to fruition. However, today I g ...

Please Respond To Vacation Coverage Question?
May 26, 2010

I have put in a request for time off and have been told that I need to find coverage for that day.  I am a subcontractor.  Is this normal? ...

Question For New Graduates; Seasoned MTs Welcome To Respond Also
Feb 13, 2011

From reading post after post on the New MTs Board, it seems like one of the main reasons a lot of people chose the Medical Transcription field is because they were lured in by the “work at home, when you want” dream.  But when reading through the job opening ads, any type of flexibility is usually reserved for Independent Contractor positions, and IC positions usually want lots of experience so the MT can work with little or no supervision. On top of that, at least in my opinio ...

Anyone Respond To P.r.n. Positions At Medscribe -- I Believe They Are In Florida.
Mar 14, 2012

I just got an email about these positions.  Sounds good to me.  I only want part-time work, so this would be right up my alley.  The pay is kind of low in the beginning, but they do raise you to 8 c/l after probation.  not too shabby huh???  What opinions are there here regarding this company?  Good, bad or otherwise???  I saw their web site here and it sounds okay, but then you never know.  Anyone currently working for this company now???? ...

Anybody Know If Nuance Takes Forever To Respond To
Mar 21, 2014

an application?  I submitted one at least 2 weeks ago... and it was no easy process as I couldn't log into the system, yada, yada.  So, that makes me even wonder if they got my app and resume.  But is it normal that they take forever to respond?  Or is it normal if they don't want you, that they just ignore you?  I just would prefer closure.  I know Nuance well, as far as I know its not the dream job, to say the least.  Just wondering what's up w ...

How Do I Respond To The Psych Eval Posting?
May 08, 2014

How do I respond to the Psych Eval MT position?  There is no email address given in the post and when I try to reply by MT Stars email it gives me a failure notice.  Thanks! ...

Read Something About What Would Go Against Someone In A Coding Interview. Coders Please Respond :)
Dec 05, 2012

I am still a student, so I am still very naive about a few things involving this grand new venture.   But, since I am almost done with my 4th module at Andrews and getting ready to tackle the certification exams, I have been doing a lot of research and reading about people obtainng their first coding jobs or something in HIM.  I read one scenario where the employer was telling of how she narrows it down to 3 candidates.  Of course, if one goes into an interview and seems as i ...

What Do You Do When MTSO Doesn't Respond To Emails Or Let You Know When Work Will Be Available?
Sep 09, 2013

This is my first experience with this and it sucks!!  In training, I had a lot of work and I was told to expect between 80 to 100 minutes a day.  It was close to that the first week.  Now it's going on the third week and I have hardly any work, don't when I will have work, email them asking about work, and no one responds.  I turned down another job for this and I am Pis*%.  Any advice appreciated.  ...

OTI: How Would You Like To Respond To The Recent Work Flow Email And Comment?!
Nov 29, 2013

Does A not realize most of us were celebrating Thanksgiving with our family and giving no thought to OTI?!!!!!!! ...

QA Keeps Changing Pro-time To Pro-time Or Pro-time Or Pro-time....once And For All, Which Is Correct
Apr 07, 2011

x ...

Trying To Find Part-time Or Full-time Employee Position (hospital/clinic)
Apr 30, 2013

If anyone knows of a hospital, clinic, or large practice offering remote full-time or part-time employee positions, I would really appreciate an email.  I have the sudden need to help support a family member long term (in addition to myself) and really need to find a long-term remote employee position for the stability.  Yes, I watch all the various employment sites and even individual hospital sites, but I was hoping that maybe, just maybe someone who works for a hospital that does th ...

How Many Lines Is Considered Full Time And Part Time At Your MTSO?
May 06, 2010

I am wondering what the average for part time and full time status is either if it is done by line count or hours. Thanks so much! ...

FULL-TIME DOWNGRADE TO PART-TIME STATUS - Question
Dec 08, 2011

Has anyone working for an MTSO been downgraded from full-time status to part-time status based on not enough hours worked to be considered full time, yet making well above the minimum amount of earnings required for full-time status? ...

Does Precyse Hire Any Part-time Or Only Full-time?
Nov 03, 2010

nm ...

Overtime Because Of The Time Clock Time Zone Change?
Feb 06, 2011

It has been inconvenient, and maybe a bit confusing at times, to check my time card hours for my shift as, because of my time zone, part of my hours show up on the next day because I work 2nd shift. I wonder if I will get overtime for yesterday, even though I did not work overtime. I had to start work several hours early because of maintenance, so all hours were completed before the hour my hours start showing up on the next day. Fine. But the last couple hours of yesterday show up as today, ...

Anybody Else's Actual Time Worked Not Match Clocked Time?
Jun 13, 2011

Ever since they have changed Schedule Source and now it has a display called today's activity with "actuals" hours, this has not matched the hours shown with the time clock punches and is less than the hours according to the clock punch. The difference adds up to a significant amount over time. I am really suspicious about being jypped paywise. ...

MQ Rehire Policy For Part Time To Full Time
Apr 09, 2011

I worked for MQ full time and then went to part time last year, before finally quitting altogether because of health problems. I seem to remember an obscure policy that if you were full time and then went to part time, you could not go back to full time for a period of at least 1 year.  Can anyone verify that for me? IF, and this is a big IF, I were to go back to work for MQ, I would need to be full time. ...

Part-time Versus Full-time Benefits
Jan 10, 2013

I'm curious as to the difference between the benefits for part-time versus full-time employment.  Are they the same?   ...

The New MQ Time Clock Time Zone Change
Jan 04, 2011

is the dumbest thing I have ever heard.  Like I'm going to remember 6 months from now to ask for my PTO in CST time when I am in EST time zone.  MQ is the screwiest company I have ever worked for. ...

Optiscript Part Time To Full Time
Nov 19, 2011

Does anyone care to share that if you are hired at optiscript part time will they let you change to full time easily? I know they are a small company and do not over hire so I do not know how easily this could be done.  I am thinking of cutting down to part time at my current employee so I can work part time elsewhere and eventually just leave my current employee once I see how the land lays elsewhere.  Any insight on this would be greatly appreciated :) ...

Full-time/Part-time Hours?
Feb 13, 2012

Since part-time is generally considered 20-25 hrs. per week, does that mean that full-time is anything over 25 hrs. per week or does it have to be a flat 40 hrs? ...

Anyone Gone From Full-time To Part-time With This Company?
Mar 21, 2012

I am strongly considering going to part-time, just hoping to get opinions from anyone who has gone from full-time to part-time or opinions from anyone who has just always been part-time.  Thanks! ...

Nuance: From Full-time To Part-time
Apr 26, 2012

Would anyone be willing to post info on this? I am considering switching to part-time. Wondering how amenable the company is to such requests. If you have done this, were you able to keep same schedule or were you forced into a different schedule? Thanks for any thoughts! ...

Questions Re Going From Full Time To Part Time. Sm
Aug 08, 2012

Has anyone been allowed to go from full-time to part-time employment with Nuance?  Were you able to keep the same basic schedule?  I won't be ready to do this until early next year, so not asking HR at this point. Thanks for any responses! ...