A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

? for you seasoned MTs! - sue

Posted: Jun 13, 2011

UGH!!  Where do you begin to tell someone who says "Ohhh how can I get into the field of what you are doing" ???  A "friend of a friend of a friend" asked my BF if I could "help her" figure out what the best way would be for her to get into MT!!  I pulled up some local community college links for her (Gee, if you are even a LITTLE smart, you could have done this for yourself) ... Any suggestions/ideas on how to handle this situation.

It really cracks me up how people just think others could/would spend countless hours doing research for them !!!

Thx ... sue~

Research - Re-search

[ In Reply To ..]
A motivation to research information is a prerequisite to being a good MT. If an MT want-to-be lacks the motivation to research becoming the profession, I doubt she will enjoy being employed in the profession.

thx - sue

[ In Reply To ..]
My thoughts exactly. People just do not realize how rude it is to impose on someone else to do their "leg work" ... Thx for your response :)

You could also just reply, "Google it." - Short, sweet, and to the point. nm

[ In Reply To ..]
X

asking to do research - jw

[ In Reply To ..]
My favorite is when someone asks for you to help them get into the field and says "I'm a good typist...All you have to do is type what the Dr. days, right"? Like it is just that easy. I haven't ever really helped anyone get going in this business. When they say something like that, I just say they need to take an MT course. It is amazing that people think anybody could do this job. Honestly, I haven't felt strongly enough so far that anyone who has asked me for help could really do the job. It takes a long time to be able to do this even with an MT course behind them. People don't realize that to be good at this you also have to have a good understanding about what the docs are talking about, not just regurgitate what the say into print.

MT Advice - MTM

[ In Reply To ..]
I tell them the truth. It at one time was a great profession to get into. Today it is a horrible profession. There are no jobs and if you are lucky to find one - it's minimum wage earnings at best.

So true - tell them don't do it!!!! Big mistake... - Ellen

[ In Reply To ..]
I would tell them run don't walk - this is not a good thing to be in anymore. Sorry, just a fact..... 20+ years experience and getting out....

My opinion - see message

[ In Reply To ..]
Reading your message and jw's I wonder why anyone would even dream of ever asking anyone for help or advise. My goodness, the nerve of them. How dare they even begin to think they are as good as we are. Hey, we never needed help so why should we help anyone else. That is exactly the impression I got from reading both posts.

I had a childhood friend contact me and said her daughter was getting into medical transcription, had taken a course and asked me as a seasoned MT if I could give her any advise or help her. My response was...(wait for this, cos it will shock you)...my response was...."Of course I'll be happy to help her. If you want to give me her email address I'll be more than happy to recommend some web sites that she can visit, but please let her know that there are some really nasty MTs that will jump down her throat if she asks a question, so please don't let that discourage her. If she really wants to get into MT there are goods and bads to it like any job, just let me know and I can even help her with her resume".

That was my response. I meet a lot of people in town that when I meet them and they find out what I do they say they'd love to do this. But I take the time to talk to them and don't act like I'm all that and a bag of potato chips.

Yeah, even if you are a "little smart" you could do some research, but maybe some people don't know where to begin.

Being a little nice to people does not hurt.

Well said! - Ayn

[ In Reply To ..]
My thoughts exactly! Many seem to be saying the person should do her own research - well, that's exactly what she was doing. What better way to research than go straight to the source and ask someone who is actually in the field you are interested in?! Based on OP message, she didn't ask for any websites, etc., she asked the OP's advice/opinion. I wish I'd had someone I knew in the business to get advice/bounce ideas off of when I was deciding to get into MT'ing and deciding what schooling I needed.

Having said that, yes, there are many who ask about going into MT'ing because they think it's easy money that they can start making from home tomorrow. Tell them how it really is (politely) and move on -- don't take it so personal.

I agree with being nice, BUT - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
we are no better than those phony TV commercials if we don't let them know that it will take a solid foundation and years of experience to make any decent money working at home (which everyone wants to do). I also will point them in the right direction if that is what they want, AFTER I tell them the honest state of affairs. If you don't do that, you're not truly being helpful for the long run.

That's exactly what I was talking about - see message

[ In Reply To ..]
Don't mislead people of course, but if they inquire tell them the good and the bad. Tell them where you think the industry is headed. I wrote my friend's daughter a 2 page letter describing the good and bad. If someone really wants to become an MT I'm not going to discourage them, but I am going to give them the facts and let them decide whether or not they want to continue to pursue the field.

But as a seasoned MT, if someone asks us about the job we should talk to them. I'm proud to be an MT and I made good money. I know there are a lot who don't. Just be truthful with people.

But all I'm saying is be nice to people and don't think you are superior to them and how dare they even ask you for advice.

Clueless - oaf

[ In Reply To ..]
People are clueless. I used to refer them to the AAMT before they turned into what they have become. Most people do not realize how labor intensive this job is, then they change their mind. I tell people not to waste their time. Get a degree in HIM or take a course in coding or billing. There is no money to be had here!

I didn't see either as being not nice to the people who ask. - (small message) mt3

[ In Reply To ..]
Just a little irritated with the circumstances of their being approached about this, and voicing that here to us instead. I fail to see the unkindly deed to another, but to each their own interpretation.

I just tell them MT pay is declining, and most MTs - make less than half of their -sm

[ In Reply To ..]
paychecks of 10 to 20 years ago. That usually stops the question-askers dead in their tracks.

I agree and in addition - Old and Tired MT

[ In Reply To ..]
I tell them 99% of the doctors that I have to listen to don't speak English,and if they want to deal with that to go ahead. At that point, they decide it isn't so great an idea after all.

I just say 'first, find a school' - takes a year or 2, depending. - anonmt123

[ In Reply To ..]
They usually lose interest right there.

Here's my answer - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
If you plan on being employee hopefully with benefits:
1.You need to be an English major with a minor in medical terminology to decipher the gibberish to make a professional sounding document.
2. Expert in anatomy and physiology.
3. Extensive knowledge of medications, dosages and reasons for use including off label and those available in Canada and/or in trials not yet approved by the FDA.
4. Computer geek so when you get caught in the middle of the IT department, your DSL provider and a computer problem you know who to argue with.
5. Must like sedentary, solitary work. You have to keep you butt in the chair and your fingers on the keyboard to make any money. Hospitals work 24/7 so you might have to too.
6. Expert researcher for new terms, procedures, equipment (or old ones that you have forgot how to spell!)
7. Know when you have to correct physician discrepancies with reference to right/left, incorrect meds/doses, correct patient for the correct visit date, etc.
8. Very acute hearing to discern unintelligible gibberish from background noise and when doc loses his train of thought and says "make that sound right" or "go back and change this" or "go back and change that" or "put this here" or "oh hell I"ll call back later" and an hour later you get him again and get to start all over.
9. Simultaneously be proficient in using multiple software programs, expanders, platforms, multiple client specs, and be a fast learner when these are upgraded or changed as your line count drops during the learning curve.
10. And all of this is after you've spent 1-2 years in school, ASSUMING you get hired as a newbie, 5 years inhouse and then going home.

If you are an IC, all of the above plus you have to get your own clients, make them happy, keep them happy, fix your own computer and other equipment, pay your own taxes, buy your own health insurance and never take a vacation.

This, of course, is not an exhaustive list but it's a good start.

IC - ladonna

[ In Reply To ..]
I love this answer. I think I am going to print it off, so that the next time someone asks me what they need to become a transcriptionist, I can just hand them this copy!

I alway say - k8

[ In Reply To ..]
I always say sure, let's set up an appointment with me. My consulting fee is $75 per hour. What's a good time for you? Sure gets rid of the looky-loos in a hurry. But of course I've never actually charged someone seriously looking to learn this new skill and put the time in.

Similar Messages:

How Long Does It Take A Seasoned MT To Do 400-500 LPH
Dec 19, 2009

nm ...

How Many Years Does It Take To Be Considered A Seasoned MT?
Dec 02, 2010

I wanted to know what is considered a rookie MT and what is considered a seasoned MT. Thanks In Advance ...

Productivity Questions For You Seasoned MTs
Jun 29, 2011

From what I've read, most places require a daily minimum of 1000-1500 (varies) per day. I was wondering, on average, how long does it take a new MT to be able to reach this? Also, do you usually exceed your minimum? If so, by how much? I understand that these kinds of things will vary greatly from one MT to the next, I am just trying to get a general idea. Thanks in advance for your input! :) ...

Opinions Wanted From Seasoned MTs Regarding MT Training
Jan 12, 2010

Opinions wanted.  Should instructors at Medical Transcription Schools have prior experience as a Medical Transcriptionist?  Can someone who has never done Medical Transcription themselves teach someone else properly? If I spend $2650 plus $355 for “hardcover medical dictionaries,” I would hope the person instructing me at least had a clue how to use them.             Here is a job opening posting:    P ...

Question For New Graduates; Seasoned MTs Welcome To Respond Also
Feb 13, 2011

From reading post after post on the New MTs Board, it seems like one of the main reasons a lot of people chose the Medical Transcription field is because they were lured in by the “work at home, when you want” dream.  But when reading through the job opening ads, any type of flexibility is usually reserved for Independent Contractor positions, and IC positions usually want lots of experience so the MT can work with little or no supervision. On top of that, at least in my opinio ...

Seasoned MTs Changing Companies After Years?
Mar 02, 2015

Hi.  I've been with the same company for years and am so unhappy with it.  I'd like to maybe work for another company, but it doesn't seem worth it.  After years of building up my glossaries, I'd be starting all over again from scratch and I've heard bad things about every company out there it seems.  Plus, I'm sure my pay would be lower to start.  Anyone go to a different company after years with the same one?   ...

To Seasoned MTs: How Long Does It Take Before You Realize That A Company Is Not A Good Fit? Sm
Nov 12, 2009

Basically meaning that the platform is not going to MT friendly or you're going to spend too much time filling in patient demo, or a myriad of any other reasons.  And once you found out that it wasn't going to work out, how long did you stick it out? ...