A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

RMT exam Graduates - Sue

Posted: Sep 08, 2011

I'm currently studying for the RMT exam. I was wondering of those who have taken it and passed, what helpful hints you might have for preparing for this exam? I've got a study guide through ADHI that I'm working through. I'm also going over all the books and terminology flashcards I recieved through At-Home Professions.

Also, how many weeks did you study for this exam? I am hoping to take 4 weeks, but have heard of some who spent six weeks or more preparing.

And, lastly, did you pass on the first try? Is it common to have to take it more than once?

Thanks! I appreciate any feedback.

RMT - Anon

[ In Reply To ..]
It is not the having or not having an RMT that is likely to be a difficulty for you; rather, it will be having At-Home Professions on your resume. Just saying.

RMT - Sue

[ In Reply To ..]
I am hoping that by having the RMT credentials on my resume, it will not matter where I went for training in this field. According to all the literature I've read supporting taking the RMT, employers are looking for those kind of credentials. And that, in itself, will show them that I am up to par with industry standards. As far as At-Home Professions is concerned, I've heard more good than bad. I will assume that all online courses deal with similar criticisms.
The study guides that I have been going through (all endorsed by the ADHI)appear to be covering the same instruction I received through At-Home Professions. I do not like to speak badly of a school, or anything else for that matter, unless I have solid evidence to back that up.

Sue - Old Pro

[ In Reply To ..]
I think the solid evidence comes from the fact that many AHP grads come to the job, all shiny and new, only to find that they do not have nearly the skill set or knowledge base to make it on the job. I have seen this happen over and over, and it is heartbreaking. (Some MTSOs will not hire AHP grads for this reason.) At a best-case scenario, they go somewhere like Andrews or M-TEC and get a better education (using the SUM program, real dictation and live instructors), or worst case, leave the profession before they have really entered it. But here is a test you can do for yourself. Please do not take my (or other MTSOs' word/opinion for it). After all, an opinion is only an opinion. You can test and prove the issue for yourself without input from others in the field. Call any MTSO you want, from a huge national (MedQuist, Transcend) down to some local mom and pop (yes, some do exist, I worked for one before retirement): Ask them (1) What kind of success on the job AHP grads have in comparison to grads from other schools and (2) Is that MTSO hiring AHP grads? This will be an objective, non-weighted test. You will be relying on the input from actual companies without any comment from this board or opinions from anyone other than the hiring companies. It has been my experience that AHP grads are simply not prepared for today's MT world. You have to be able to hit the ground running and function from day ONE without hand-holding. That is not good or bad or right or wrong. It IS, however, a reality of our marketplace. Speaking REALISTICALLY is not the same thing as "speaking badly," as you put it. If you have "heard more good than bad" about AHP, then you are not talking to me or to my fellow MTSOs. Sorry, just the facts, ma'am. Maybe you will be the exception that proves the rule. I hope so, and I wish you all the good luck in the world, I truly do. Please let us know how your job search goes.
RMT certification - jj
[ In Reply To ..]
I understand your expression about being able to 'hit the ground running', and I honestly do not feel prepared to do that. I would feel much more comfortable with having my work reviewed before making it a permanent file...especially when working with new doctors and accents. Do you believe that if I were to pass the RMT exam, that you would consider me qualified to work as an MT? Or, would you advise me to start over at the local community college, spending $7000 and two more years? (That's my only other option, if I choose to continue my focus on an MT career.)
RMT certification - Old Pro
[ In Reply To ..]
If I were still in a hiring position (and I am not), I would hire ONLY from Andrews and/or M-TEC. Period. Whether someone has an RMT or not would not make an ounce of difference to me. Have you spoken with Andrews and/or M-TEC? They may have payment plans, etc. that could help you.

At Home Professions lawsuits - Observer

[ In Reply To ..]
Just Google the words "At Home Professions Lawsuits" and you will find a link to the FTC (Federal Trade Commission), where many complaints re: deception and misrepresentation are filed. You can view the whole thing in PDF format. (Hopefully, other people will view this BEFORE, not after, giving their precious money to these people.) You might also go to scam.com and review what they say.

Is the school Approved by AHDI? - nm

[ In Reply To ..]
nm
AHDI approval - Anna
[ In Reply To ..]
I am not sure about At Home Professions, but I do know that many schools approved by AHDI are not what I would call adequate.
The fact that some schools are approved that shouldn't be - see message
[ In Reply To ..]
If there are some schools that are not so good and still were approved, what does that say about schools that haven't been approved? Maybe the approval process is generous and does approve some schools that really aren't that good, but they look good in comparison to some of the really bad schools.
AHDI approval - anon
[ In Reply To ..]
I take a rather cynical view toward the whole AHDI approval process. I would like to know what the criterion really i$ for their approval.
Program Approval Criteria - anon
[ In Reply To ..]
All of the criteria for program approval can be downloaded directly from the AHDI website.

Here is a direct link to the page with all of the information on program approval.

http://www.ahdionline.org/Careers/NewMTTraining/AboutEducationProgramApproval/tabid/210/Default.aspx
Some of the highlights - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
Schools have to have a certain amount of quality dictation for the students to transcribe.

There has to be one-on-one instructor contact with the students, not just computer grading.

At Home Professions and BBB - me
[ In Reply To ..]
At Home Professions has had 44 complaints failed it against it in the last 36 months. I wonder why?
AHP - correction - me
[ In Reply To ..]
I meant FILED. Long day, and nearly bedtime on this coast.
At Home Professions and BBB - tdyber
[ In Reply To ..]
I took the course in 2005. Unfortunately, I am still trying to find a job in medical transcription.

The material seems legitimate enough and it is very thorough. I really enjoyed taking the course.
It seems thorough to you, but - Maggie May
[ In Reply To ..]
you know what they say, "you don't know what you don't know." Very few places will hire grads of that school, because they know from experience that the course definitely isn't thorough enough.
Maggie May - Business Veteran
[ In Reply To ..]
I would not have hired AHP grads because they would not have had a broad enough educational base. As you say, they do not know what they do not know--which, unfortunately, is a lot. Unfortunately, the AHP courses are on the S List of many MTSOs, and I do not mean "sugar."
Business Veteran - question for you.
[ In Reply To ..]
What graduates would you hire?
Who would I hire? - Business Veteran
[ In Reply To ..]
My first choice would be Andrews grads. I have never seen an Andrews grad who could not the ground running and work like a pro from day one. I also have respect for M-TEC and would seriously consider hiring an M-TEC grad. I would avoid grads of the so-called "instiutes" that advertise in the women's magazines. You know the ads: "Make $40,000 a year as a transcriptionist! Make $40,000 a year coding!" I will not waste their time--or mine. One of the things I (and other people who are or have been in hiring positions) look for is whether the person trained on the SUM program. We also look for how many hours of practice dictation they have done and whether it was actual physian dictation or some actor reading a canned script. That makes all the difference in the world.
tdyber - Questioning
[ In Reply To ..]
Did you use actual physician dictation as opposed to actors reading scripts? How many hours of transcription did you do? How many hours is that as compared to M-TEC and Andrews? If you took the course in 2005 and still have not found a job, that might be an indication that the training was inadequate. The point is not to "enjoy the course." The point is to prepare yourself to enter and succeed in the MT workplace. If you enjoy it, great, but I would be concerned about not being able to find a job. By what criteria did you judge the material to "seem" to be "legitimate enough?" and "very thorough?" As compared to what?
AHPs AHDI approval - JJ
[ In Reply To ..]
This thread began with an AHP student asking how long she should study for the RMT exam, using the materials provided by AHP. I feel that her questioned was not answered.
My suggestion is that you also get the RMT exam guide that is published by ADHI. You may find that there is more to be learned there. From there, you may be able to determine how long you need to prepare.
Unfortunately, I just found that Prometric is no longer testing for AHDI, so I am trying to locate someone who actually issues these certifications! (I am still looking...not ready to give up, yet.)
I know that AHP is AHDI approved.(I am a recent graduate.) That is one of their selling points. They do use many hours of 'authentic' doctor dictation in every major specialty with several foreign accents. There is definitely instructor-student conversation beginning with the grading of dictated quizzes, or any other time a student has need of it. (All dictation is instructor graded, not computer graded.) Anatomy and physiology, as well as grammar and formatting are also stressed.
That being said, when I began my studies for the RMT, I realized that I may be somewhat underprepared. Therefore, I am using the RMT study guide to further prepare myself, in hopes that the RMT certification will override any concerns about where I received my training.
By the way, if AHDI approval is basically useless, then I don't understand why anyone would consider their standards important. What am I missing here?
testing for RMT - jj
[ In Reply To ..]
Just that quickly, I find that Kryterion is now performing the testing for RMT exams...whew!
AHDI approval - Old Pro
[ In Reply To ..]
I am one (former) business owner who does not give a big rat's whisker about AHDI's approval. I know many others who share my feelings.
AHDI approval - jj
[ In Reply To ..]
I'm so glad you responded. Maybe you can give us newbies (who apparently chose an inadequate place for training)some insight and direction. I'm not ready to throw away all my hard work, and I would prefer to 'beef up' my skills to the proper level.
1. What have you learned about AHDI-approved schools that has you doubting their ability to train?
2. Are there specific schools that you have had bad experiences with?
3. What, specifically, did you look for on the resume of potential employees? (medical transcriptionist, of course)
4. Do you know why ADHI approval seems to be touted as such a necessity when choosing a school?
5. When you were employing transcriptionists, did you offer an exam for placement?
I really appreciate your feedback! Thanks.
The fact that a school is on the AHDI "Approved" list - Another Old Pro
[ In Reply To ..]
The fact that a school is on the AHDI "Approved" list at one time really meant something. Most of us go by the very short list each of us has in our heads, schools who are producing graduates who know what they are doing. Those schools have great instructors, use quality textbooks and materials, and use the SUM program to tie it all together.

The fact that a school is "approved" no longer means that they are good. The fact that a school is not on it though is a giant red flag.
Another Old Pro - Old Pro
[ In Reply To ..]
So true, so true. Perhaps you will also agree with me that there are certain schools from which no reputable MTSO will hire. We know from past experience that the grads of these "schools" and "institutes" do not have, in the parlance of an old movie about space exploration, "THE RIGHT STUFF." I would not even consider grads of these places, and neither would most other MTSOs. Just as we have a short list of good schools we (or at least I) have a short list of places whose grads I would not touch with the proverbial 10-foot pole. That is why it is so important to do one's research about a school BEFORE enrolling, BEFORE attending any propaganda seminars, um, I mean INFORMATIONAL, seminars--and why one must not "cheap out." Especially if a person does not have very much money--all the more reason not to give what you have away to some "school/institute" whose name spells doom on a resume. Just my two cents' worth.
I absolutely agree with you! - Another Old Pro
[ In Reply To ..]
I would not hire graduates of certain schools even if they had experience. If those school names are on a resume, I know to bypass them. I remember looking at some of the work a graduate of one of the worst schools showed me. The so-called instruction was just things marked wrong with no explanation, and in several cases the grader was wrong. In other words, they were teaching things wrong and marking the student "incorrect" when they got it right! When I talked to that graduate about some of those items and asked for her understanding of them, she had no understanding of any of it. All she knew was whether it had been marked wrong or not. They hadn't really covered the material.
What really gets me is when they tell you, "It was really a good course!" - How Do They Know?!
[ In Reply To ..]
I'm always amazed at the students attending one of the courses that have been proven over the years to be inferior, but the students will tell you that it's a great school! I wonder what they base that on? I've never been able to figure out why they know it's a good MT course when they are students, don't yet know what they don't know and certainly have no idea what they even should know at that point, have nothing else to compare it with, but they are absolutely positive that it's a great course.
Another Old Pro - Old Pro
[ In Reply To ..]
Yes, and it always breaks my heart how these people have gone to some (snake oil) seminar that convinces them that they can make 40K part-time their first year. Suuuure, and George Clooney and I have a date tonight. But the sad part is that they really do NOT know what they do not know. If I had a dollar from every such graduate who could not find a job in six months, then a year, then five years, or--worse yet--does find a job but is let go because they cannot perform at a competent level. These "schools" are little more than glorified matchbooks that can afford to advertise in women's magazines. I hope that someone gets mad enough to take them to task, for certainly they deserve it. As to AHDI certfication of schools, it means no more to me than a document that falls out of a Cracker Jack box. Sorry, that's just the way it is. The thing that I am still amazed at is why the students do not do extensive research on ANY school BEFORE forking over their hard-earned cash. It really is sad.
One of the first signs of a bad school is the high pressure phone calls that never end - See message
[ In Reply To ..]
You know you're talking to a bad school when the high-pressure sales starts, and by the way, it never ends. You will probably still be getting phone calls and e-mail as long as they are in business.

Some of these schools will never stop bothering you, no matter how many times you tell them you are not interested. Don't ever give your phone number or let them see your caller ID. You can always block their 100th e-mail when you've had enough.

I have been a very successful MT for many years and I still am getting pressured by several of these schools that I never would have considered and certainly wouldn't recommend to anyone.

"Come to this seminar!"
"We're having a HALF-OFF Sale!"
"After you take the MT course, you'll need to take our special course in (fill in the blank)"
"We're having a Special! and just wanted you to know!"
"Discount if you sign up today!"
"Just calling to see how you are!"
"Discount if you (fill in the blank)!"
"Please Enroll In Our New Program-Of-The-Month!"
"But WHY don't you want to enroll with us?!"
"You're enrolling with them? Let me tell you why you shouldn't. They do (don't) (fill in the blank)."
"So did you enroll with them? You need to cancel your enrollment and enroll with us now"
"Are you still enrolled with them? Are you ready to switch now?"
"You finished their course and graduated? Great! Now you need to enroll with us."
"You finished their course, graduated, and are working? Great! Now you need to enroll with us."

I have friends who get a different version:

"Calling all our graduates to tell you about our new (program) (seminar) (coffee mugs) (whatever)." Apparently what they taught them originally wasn't enough, so they are filling in the holes with a new program this month and another one next month that you have to have. If you don't, you will be toast.
Signs of a bad school - Old Pro
[ In Reply To ..]
You are absolutely right. I cannot for the life of me imagine Andrews or M-TEC EVER doing anything like that. Nor can I imagine them running slick ads in women's magazines that say "You can make 40K a year transcribing/coding/whatever......" Why, oh WHY, can't people see these upgraded matchbooks for what they are?
I was just on the AHDI approved list and did not find it - See inside
[ In Reply To ..]
I couldn't find it on the list. Am I missing it?

http://www.ahdionline.org/Careers/FindanApprovedMTSchool/tabid/251/Default.aspx

AHPs AHDI approval - jj
[ In Reply To ..]
Not necessarily. I went through my manuals, and the best that I could find was a stamp on the back stating that they are an "Institutional Member of American Association For Healthcare Documentation Integrity (AHDI)." Although, it was definitely my understanding that they were approved. I sent an email to them asking them to clarify for me where they stand. If they are not approved, (by the way, I'm under the impression that hirers don't really care about AHDI approval, anyway...), I will be asking them why not?! I will let everyone know when I find out.
I apologize for misleading, if I did, and I will get to the bottom of it.
Are they actually claiming that they are AHDI-approved? - curious
[ In Reply To ..]
Did they say that they were? in writing?
AHPs AHDI approval - jj
[ In Reply To ..]
See my post above.

Similar Messages:

Are Any Of U Careerstep.com Graduates?
Nov 01, 2009

I am about 2 weeks away from the final and would take any advise on the final, the job search and any other great advise you can give me. I am hoping to work from home to take care of my son. Good companies, bad companies? how is the pay for new graduates? ...

Jobs For New Graduates
Mar 20, 2010

Does anyone know of a company who will hire newbies?  I have been doing this for 15 years, but a family member has just graduated and is looking for a job.  Any help for her would be appreciated.  Thanks. ...

Any Graduates Of Andrews Or M-Tec?
Sep 04, 2012

Would like to know if any graduates of Andrews or M-Tec became employed shortly after completing course and how much I could be expected to earn on a part-time basis (20 hrs/wk)? ...

Andrews Graduates, Did You Get A Job?
Mar 02, 2015

I am seriously considering going into the coding program with Andrews soon. My main concern just lies in finding employment after I finish and become certified. Can any Andrews graduates share their experiences? Were you able to find employment quickly? Was anyone able to start working from home immediately? There are 2 hospitals in my town, but it is not a huge city, and I am afraid employment opportunities may be limited here locally. Anything you can tell me that might be useful would be much ...

Any New Andrews Graduates??
Mar 21, 2015

Just curious if there are any new Andrews graduates (in the last 30 days) that are having success finding a job? I am looking to start this program soon and do not want to jump from the frying pan into the fire, so to speak...been an MT for MANY, MANY years.... Are there jobs out there?  How hard are they to find/get? What is general starting pay? Feeling anxious/nervous/excited.... ...

Any Companies Hiring New Graduates??
Feb 05, 2010

Are there any companies hiring new graduates? I can't seem to get my foot in a door. Everyone wants experience. ...

Do You Know Any Companies That Hire New Graduates.
Jun 18, 2010

We need a start somewhere to get the experience. Looking forward to your reply.   Thank You Lena ...

Accentus - Hire New Graduates? -nm
Jan 26, 2011

x ...

Are There Any Penn Foster Graduates?
Apr 28, 2011

Are there any Penn Foster graduates? ...

Any At-home-profession Graduates
Oct 15, 2011

I am looking for any one who has completed the AHP program and is currently employed. I need any advice you are willing to give. Thanks for your time. ...

Are There Any Penn Foster Graduates Working Right Now?
Sep 19, 2010

Are there any Penn Foster graduates working right now.  Please tell me your story. ...

Home-based Work For New Graduates
Oct 29, 2010

Hi everyone!  I hope someone can shed some light on who hires recent graduates for home-based MT work.  I've been applying to every company I can find but most want in-house experience or 1 year+.  Not having a car limits my in-house work.  That's why I went into this field.  I've been looking for 2 weeks and have gotten few replies (all "thanks but no thanks").  I've completed Medical Terminology course with a 94% and Medical Transcription cours ...

Question For New Graduates; Seasoned MTs Welcome To Respond Also
Feb 13, 2011

From reading post after post on the New MTs Board, it seems like one of the main reasons a lot of people chose the Medical Transcription field is because they were lured in by the “work at home, when you want” dream.  But when reading through the job opening ads, any type of flexibility is usually reserved for Independent Contractor positions, and IC positions usually want lots of experience so the MT can work with little or no supervision. On top of that, at least in my opinio ...

Career Step Coding Graduates.....
Mar 01, 2011

1.  How long did it take you to complete the course? 2.  Were you able to pass the certification exam? 3.  Are you working as a coder? 4.  Overall opinion on the career step coding course? Any info would be greatly appreciated.  TIA ...

Career Step Graduates Recommendation
Aug 11, 2012

Any graduates of Career Step that can recommend the course?  Also, is it a licensed school.  I am told that it is based in Provo, Utah. ...

Any Andrews Coding Graduates Getting Jobs?
Oct 07, 2012

Has anyone graduating from the Andrews coding course gotten jobs. I know how hard it is to get a job without prior experience. I am 61 and wondering if it is worth the expense and effort to take the couse. I have fifteen years of MT experience and also have worked in a hospital for years before that. Thanks. ...

Questions For Andrews Coding Graduates (sm)
Jan 08, 2013

I have been doing research on the various coding programs out there and before I spend a large amount of money on training, I want to ask former Andrews coding students a couple of questions. 1. Did you pass the certification exam(s) and, if so, did you feel like the schooling that you received prepared you for the exam? 2. Are you currently working as a coder and, if not, how long have you been actively looking for a job and have you been able to get job interviews. I realize that getting ...

Career Step Happy Graduates?
Aug 07, 2014

Anyone out there a graduate of Career Step happy with their job?   ...

Any Andrews Coding Graduates That Were Able To Find Work After Completing Course?? Sm
Mar 25, 2013

Hi Anybody on here graduated from Andrews coding course and able to find work? I am just really scared I am going to do all of this and not find a job anywhere?  Any advice would be greatly appreciated  Thanks ...

AIIMS Exam Or AMES Exam
Sep 15, 2011

Doing a report for a counseling and recovery center. Dr. says.... AIIMS exam showed mild involuntary movement of upper extremities and t____ assessment. Is it AIMS exam or Ames exam. I am also unsure of the blank, it sounds like it starts with the letter T. Thank you Thank you in advance! ...

Eye Exam - Help, Please And Thanks!
Nov 11, 2009

External exam, pupillary exam, and slitlamp examination of the anterior segment are normal both eyes intact, all tension is normal both eyes.  Undilated funduscopic examination with a 90-diopter revealed a question of mild nerve s/l "fiber alla" edema.  ...

Help In MSK Exam
Nov 20, 2009

Lasègue sign is negative bilaterally, flare sign negative bilaterally, Rayberg maneuver negative.  I cannot find flare, so not sure if it is flare or flair.  Have no clue has to Rayberg maneuver.  Thanks. ...

Eye Exam Help And Thanks
Jan 05, 2010

Slitlamp exam is normal.  Intraocular pressure by tactile is normal.  On dilated funduscopic exam, cup-to-disc ratio is 0.15 with sharp margins in both eyes (s/l maculo splat).  Dilated funduscopic exam is within normal limits both eyes.    ...

Can Anyone Take The RMT Exam?
Mar 23, 2010

...or are there pre-reqs?  I've looked at the main ahdi website, I just wasn't sure if when they say that you have to "apply" if that means they will look at your experience and either accept or deny you or whether applying is simply a formality so they know you want to take the test.Also, if you've already taken the test, what were some of the toughest sections (for you personally)?  Any advice would be greatly appreciated. ...

Exam Help
Apr 07, 2010

In the physical exam, the doctor says the following under the HEENT heading: Pupils are pinpoint and nonreactive.  Normal appearing sclera.  TMs are clear with good light reflection.  No s/l "battle sign".  Normal nasal exam with no polyps.   Help if you can please. ...

RMT Exam
Jan 19, 2011

I am ashamed to say that I took the RMT exam twice and failed the transcription part twice. I am horrified! So, here are my questions.  Am I the only one or are there any others of you in my shoes and how did you study for the exam? What study tools did you use? ...

OB/GYN Exam
Jul 14, 2011

REVIEW OF SYSTEMS___ was negative except for as HPI. (sounds like ten points) ...

GI Exam
Jun 25, 2013

During p/e, dr. says "abdomen is soft, distended with "capamedusa" present.... Could be tapa, kapa, Im duped.    ...

CPC Exam
Aug 09, 2014

Hi, I'm just wondering how many people have taken the CPC exam with AAPC and passed on their first try? If so, do you have any tips? My coding class ended in May, but I am just now able to sit for the exam. I will take it Sept 9th. I'm reviewing all my homework assignments, studying the practice exams on the AAPC website to prepare for the actual exam.  I find myself so stressed out with worry and anxiety that it is hard to concentrate. I'm also job seeking for anything in t ...

CPA Exam 9 Or 10?
Apr 23, 2015

I took coding as my wallet permitted payment and did not have any ICD 10 courses.  prob know the answer to this question but asking anyway:  Is the current CPA certification exam based on ICD 10 codes?  Has anyone taken this year? ...