A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Misunderstood or confusing dictation - Sandy

Posted: Jan 31, 2011

I am currently in my last quarter of schooling and have a project I am currently working on. My instructor wants me to research the different ways of how to handle dictation that cannot be understood or is confusing and also how this procedure differs depending on work environment, such as on site, at home, large service, etc.

I have talked to a few transcriptionists and some suggestions they have given are; speeding up or slowing down the recording, looking to see if the word makes sense according to the subject matter, contacting the physician or service provider, using OneLook.com, and highlighting the questionable word so it stands out for QA.

Can anyone else give me any more suggestions on how to handle this problem? Also, is there a difference depending on your work environment?

should be no difference re: work environment - ICManiac

[ In Reply To ..]
What I learned early on was not to spend a huge amount of time on the first run through of listening to a difficult dictation. I can be working along, come to a difficult spot, leave a blank or bracket and keep going. Repeat for every spot in the dictation.

Once the report is as best completed on the first pass, rewind and re-listen at a slower speed beginning from the beginning. The blanks are much more likely to get filled in. When you see the report as a whole rather than in its individual words, it makes more sense. It sounds like it would take more time, but it can actually save time.

Ask for samples of that physician's dictations as well. Much dictation is repeated from one report to another and you can glean clues from previous reports.

Also, I put a limit on how much time I invest in a single blank. For blanks for new equipment, I usually limit myself to 15 mins researching (Grays anatomy, Stedman's Dictionary, etc.). I may give myself longer when I am newer than after having some experience under my belt. If I have 10 blanks and allow 15 mins per blank, I won't earn enough to eat that day!

Make use of a jump marker in your document so that you can jump both in the text and within the recording to swiftly move from one blank to another.

Don't be afraid to leave blanks after an honest investment of researching a blank. Don't take feedback from QA or the physician personally; use it as a learning experience. Finally, remember the feedback and use it for future reports.

I rarely leave a blank and expect a response from the physician. If I work on site, I might present it to him/her personally, but to be honest, that privilege can be abused quickly and you will find him/her less willing to help you. I have found it really is better to leave a blank than to approach him/her personally. That way, you have written documentation and you avoid appearing less than knowledgeable or making him/her feel intruded upon.

Sure there's a difference in work environments - longtime MT

[ In Reply To ..]
If you're working where there are other MTs, one of your greatest resource is available-- ANOTHER EAR.

I miss those days sometimes of having my bestie MT buddy coming to listen and then both of us diving for the books if neither was sure!!

And now even faster with the internet for looking up... - lka

[ In Reply To ..]
I agree with these 2 posters except I would never spend 15 minutes on any new word. Where I work they say average is 2 minutes and you would be surprized how many searches you can do on the internet, especially google.

Also, make use of signs, symptoms, diseases, names of rongeurs, names of sutures and the like. If you have the surgical book and they say a certain rongeur but you are just not sure, look up rongeur and see if anything sounds like what the MD is saying. Same for names of diseases, signs, symptoms and the like. It all comes with practice to find these shortcuts. Even, if you are typing the name of a piece of surgical equipment and not sure how to spell it (say the first word), type what it phonetically into Google with the rest of the phrase. Sometimes it will give you suggestions like did you mean this....

If in doubt I would always blank it, keep track of the job # or way you can access it later on to see if they filled it in. After a while you will become familiar with these words.

The other day for example I had a doc name a piece of surgical equipment he was using and he said the word select and spelled Celect (and I thought, he's wrong), but no, sure enouogh it was Celect whatever the rest of the phrase was. I still use my reference books but sometimes you can find things so quickly on the internet just in 2 minutes. Can be tedious in the beginning but does get better after time. Now after 25 plus years I can say I am glad I took the time to "learn" these things that sometimes did not sink in until about the 2 year mark.

ya know, I did not even consider my fellow MTs - ICManiac

[ In Reply To ..]
as a resource as mine actually gave me wrong information on purpose! To this day, I tend to rely more on myself than to trust in others. I am absolutely certain that if that had not been my initial experience, rather having had a positive one, that resource would have come to mind!
One of the best resources I ever had - long time MT
[ In Reply To ..]
was my fellow MTs. I was an MTSO/MT for a long time- this was my only experience working side-by-side with MTs as I did it remotely for all the other time of my career.

I worked with some of the brightest, most intelligent, resourceful women I've ever met. One of them I've stayed in contact with often for the last 20 years and we still giggle over the time we spent hunting down the right words :)

HOWEVER, that was a long time ago and the TAT pressures were not like they are now. I would spend no longer than 5 minutes looking for a word.

And to this day, as much as I love Google (and I sooooo love Google) my Dorlands sits 3 feet from my grasp just in case!

[ In Reply To ..]
Thank you all for sharing your experiences with me. This gives me a few more topics to bring up in my research paper, as well as knowledge for when I finally am in the field working.

Similar Messages:

Misunderstood In E-mails
Sep 23, 2010

Hi everyone:)  Have you ever felt that your e-mails were completely misunderstood by a supervisor?  Recently, I sent an e-mail explaining myself about something that came up, but the answer I received was totally the opposite of what I had tried to explain, and I just sat here shaking my head, and thinking "what just happened."  It made me look like I had deliberately said something that was untrue and tried to cover myself, which was not what I meant to do.  Rather, I was tr ...

2 Confusing Ads
Jan 17, 2012

There are 2 somewhat mystifying ads posted on another site. One has the company name as EdoScribe, but the link to their site is invalid.  Googling yields nothing, but I did get at hit under ECHOScribe.  Is this a typo made more than once or is this a new company that hasn't yet set up their website? The second "strange" ad says they are looking for weekend MTs, but the job is listed as FULL-time.  Things that make you go "hmmm..." ...

So Confusing!
Jan 17, 2013

If 5 or more blanks on Snotface account, send an email to supervisor, but if 5 or more blanks on Snotface account with Dr. Booger, no need to send email because focused audit on that account.  But continue to send email on other accounts with 5 or more blanks with cc to quality supervisor, except for accounts by Dr. Puke. So exasperating!  I just ignore these now after having accumulated about 50 post-it notes with reminders.  I just threw the reminders out and am winging it.&nbs ...

This Is THE MOST Confusing Company
Jan 23, 2013

Everywhere you look is a chore, website, email, remedy,,,WTH? Anyway after flipping through various places, can someone tell me where I find the benchmark thing to look up terms? ...

TTS Pay? Confusing Information
Feb 19, 2013

I would appreciate hearing from anyone who is currently working for TTS.  In searching the forums, it seems some people are making 3 cents per line and others are making 4 cents per line.  Is there a reason for the difference?  Also wondering if they offer any shift differentials or production incentives/bonuses or anything like that.  How's the insurance?  ...

Pay Scale For IC A Bit Confusing......
Sep 26, 2013

Math was never my forte.  The pay is $1.15 per 1000 characters, 425,000 characters per pay period (part time) required.  I'll be working 20 hours per week.   ...

Confusing Message
May 04, 2015

So we get an email yesterday stating that now when we work extra hours/OT we have to pick up shifts off the swapboard instead of emailing TSM or schedule person to help them keep better track. Except this morning we get an email that work is current and to delay our starting times. So now are we to pick times off the swapboard in order to make up the time that we got delayed and are we still to keep working extra? Just once it would be nice if everyone could be on the same page. ...

Another Confusing Fill-in By MME..........hematocrit Of 340???
Oct 21, 2009

Someone please set me straight if I'm wrong, but it is even possible for a child (or anyone) in any case to have a hematocrit of 340?  A dictator said:  "hemoglobin 15, hematocrit 340"  It really sounded like he said 340 but that didn't sound right to me, so I left a marker.  But it was filled in with 340.  I could have done THAT.   I guess I could be wrong--but in my 10 years as an MT the hematocrit is always just about 3 times the hemoglobin (which ...

Is It Me? This 6.1 Tutorial Is Confusing As Heck.
Sep 04, 2010

I'm trying to follow it, but the headings section is giving me a major headache.  Why are they even messing with this stuff? The numbering thing was the only thing that seemed worth it, but once I got through the tutorial, it realized it's not saving me much time.  The ONLY thing it's saving me from is writing the:  1., 2., 3....I still have to separate and list them.  I just finished the document check process.  It's just overwhelming.  One t ...

QA Is So Confusing With All That Color Coded Crap
May 17, 2014

when you click on an error,  I would logically have assumed that would take you to the spot where the error is in the text.   Nope.  It may,  maybe,  go to the spot in the voice job, but not in the text. How in the world does anyone learn from their mistakes here????  This color-coded crap is way too confusing, the screen in Emdat is way too small to see anything properly, and I have a laundry list of other complaints but that would take too long to print here ...

H & P Dictation
Oct 22, 2011

Physician dictates, "Patient underwent a s/l urectral stent.  Any ideas anyone?  Thank you.  ...

EMR Dictation
Mar 15, 2013

How do you charge your physician for putting information into EMR?  Do you charge per patient?  per hour?  What is a fair price?  ...

How Do You Get Your Dictation?
Jul 16, 2013

How do you get your dictation? ...

Dictation App
Aug 06, 2014

I think it is safe to say that we can expect even worse sound quality now that the doctors are using a dictation app. I can say I have already noticed this on my accounts. Remember when doctors were encouraged not to dictate on their cell phone? Now it is being encouraged! Hard to believe MM cares about quality.... ...

BL Dictation
Oct 08, 2014

OK just putting a little lightness in the air, as I NEED IT.  Does BL, and you will know who I am talking about perhaps, have a hairball problem?  LOL!   ...

Dictation
Nov 04, 2014

Dear Doctor/Physician/Dictator Can you please dictate the report as if it was YOUR family member that the report is about? ...

HELP With Cardio Dictation
Oct 14, 2009

Please help if you can! The doctor is talking way too fast, I can't even understand it when I slow it down... I'm hearing the following:  "Patient had fiberoptic *****. ?Internal? tracheostomy was ******." Also having trouble with the following:"...interrupted 6-0 Prolene. The ****** were noted at completion of the repair and then the wound was irrigated and closed with interrupted 3-0 Dexon and running 4-0 nylon." Thanks   ...

Cardiology Dictation
Nov 30, 2009

The dictator is naming medications. One of them sounds like Colife, but when I research it I find nothing. Does anyone know what this medication could be? ...

From A Head Ct Dictation
Mar 09, 2010

(Philpha)contiguous (cyamal) images were obtained ... Thank you.   ...

75 Minutes Of Dictation
Apr 05, 2010

How long does it take to transcribe 75 minutes of dictation? ...

Pet Dictation Peeve
May 25, 2010

Ooooh!  This gets me.  This is an NP who is dictating acute care - "The patient comes in with a diagnosis of non-insulin dependent diabetes 'myelitis'."  Puhleeze!  The same dictator pronounces "organomegaly" as "organomeglea."  It's like hearing someone scratching their fingernails down a blackboard.  Shouldn't these people have had enough schooling to be able to sound out words?! ...

Emotional Dictation
Jul 12, 2010

Just had a dictator sobbing and choking up while dictating on an AML toddler with a poor prognosis.  Dictation was still clear enough, but it was hard to keep from not choking up myself.  If I was an MD, that would be the part of the job I don't think I would be able to handle. ...

Yawning Over The Same Bit Of Dictation
Sep 12, 2010

Had to leave a blank due to yawn (the doc, not me, although this can be a snooze fest at times).  I was hoping to fill in the blank later on when I got to the assessment.  Darn if the doc didn't yawn again over the same thing.  What are the chances of that?  Oh, well. ...

Charging For EMR Dictation
Sep 21, 2010

Does anyone know the standards for charging for dictation into an EMR (SOAPware).  There's really no way to check line count.  Do you charge by how many minutes are dictated?  I'm in a quandry and think I'm being taken advantage of.  Thanks in advance.  ...

Clinical Dictation
Oct 29, 2010

Opinions, please. Does anyone know if it's possible to get work at home employment doing clinical dictation only?  If so, do you think it's possible with only basic medical transcription training? ...

Dictation On Urology
Nov 15, 2010

transcribing dictation on urology.  Rectal: On digital rectal exam, the prostate is flass without firmness or nodularity. I can't seem to make out if the doctor is saying flass or flash or flac. He is definitely saying without firmness or nodularity. ...

Understanding Dictation
Jan 04, 2011

Thanking you ...

Quality Of Dictation
Jan 09, 2011

I work for MedQuist.  Why is it some days I get pretty decent dictation with some bad ones mixed in there and then all of a sudden there will be days I have bad quality dictation all day? Anybody else? ...

800 Number For Dictation
Jun 13, 2011

Does anyone use a good 800 service for multiple dictators (5-10)?  Wading through the info on the web is really confusing so I figured I would go with a referral. TIA.     ...

InScribe? More Than One Job In Dictation...
Jun 06, 2011

Just learning the ropes with InScribe and have a question.  If a job/file has more than one letter/note in the dictation and you have saved the first one, how do you clear the screen for the next letter?  I tried selecting next field but that didn't work.  I'm supposed to save each one separately so...any help would be greatly appreciated.   I did follow the instructions from the tech guy and it made a copy of the 1st letter but still didn't see where to ...