A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Pet dictation peeve - NYMT

Posted: May 25, 2010

Ooooh!  This gets me.  This is an NP who is dictating acute care - "The patient comes in with a diagnosis of non-insulin dependent diabetes 'myelitis'."  Puhleeze!  The same dictator pronounces "organomegaly" as "organomeglea."  It's like hearing someone scratching their fingernails down a blackboard.  Shouldn't these people have had enough schooling to be able to sound out words?!

How about an educated cardiologist who prounounces Vicodin - Vikodyne

[ In Reply To ..]
Or enalapril as enileprile. This guy drives me nuts. What part of phonics did he not get in grade school. These are just a few of his that drive me nuts. Half of the time he totally slaughters the medication to where I have NO idea what he is referring to.

It does make you wonder how they got through school! - - NYMT

[ In Reply To ..]
How about the patient who has both stomach problems and anxiety and is taking "zantex"? I feel a blank coming on!

Mine is happening right now. - Tired

[ In Reply To ..]
A cataract surgery that is taking the doctor 447 seconds to dictate.

A CATARACT surgery for crying out loud!!

I can't stand doctors who drone on and on FOREVER when they could say it in 30 seconds and I could move on!

mine pet peeve... - cj

[ In Reply To ..]
I have one who always says "on palpitation of the area." Come on, doesn't she know the difference between palpation and palpitation? Makes me crazy. Also pronounces osseous as "oshous." The other one that makes me nuts is when they says larNIX or pharNIX instead of larynx and pharynx.

I have one that stacks every chart - and mispronounces many things nm

[ In Reply To ..]
x

Used to transcribe for physical therapists - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
and they were terrible at pronouncing drug names. It would be really common drugs pronounced in really funny ways, so it was hard to figure out. Sometimes they would spell them, but they must have been reading off a written list because they would get one letter wrong, like gabapentin spelled gabapertin.

I have an old doc who forgets what he is saying - ors

[ In Reply To ..]
I can't believe this guy is still practicing medicine. Almost every report he either forgets what he is saying mid sentence and starts dictating another sentence, can't figure out what he wants to say and will end up with a sentence that does not make sense, or he gets to a certain part of the dictation, like the assessment, forgets where he is at and ends up redictating the report. Most of the time it isn't always the same as he dictated it the first time.

Old doc who forgets - ColtsFan

[ In Reply To ..]
Many years ago, I had a doc who would get lost in his dictation, repeat things, just sit in silence for long periods of time. It wasn't long before he was undergoing testing and diagnosed with Alzheimer's. I would get SOOOOO frustrated with him, but then felt pretty sorry for him, and his patient's he was treating.

I do wonder if - ors

[ In Reply To ..]
how he gets along with his patients. I do feel bad for him because it seems to frustrate him sometimes when he can't get out what he is wanting to say.

Doc yesterday said the patient had confusion, and lists two other things, and then said confusion ag - I think the doc had confusion!

[ In Reply To ..]
s

I have a couple that just get under my skin. - SleepyDwarf

[ In Reply To ..]
When they dictate a list but do not say #1. WHY can't you say #1 first so I don't have to go back and fix it and change diagnosis to diagnoses, etc.???

And when they say "period" and then keep dictating along in the same sentence.

"The patient had mild pulmonary edema "period" and was started on ...."

Drives me nuts!!

I hate those, too! - nm

[ In Reply To ..]

In lieu of instead of in view of - she says it wrong every time - Olive

[ In Reply To ..]
n

Today I had one. No birth date was given and doc - shortcake

[ In Reply To ..]
said patient age 3 times within the report and used 3 different ages. Nothing worse than having to leave a blank because of doc error and that will impact our QA submission. I guess this would be 2 pet peeves.

I have one who - grrrrrr

[ In Reply To ..]
coughs....but only when he can't pronounce something!

I also have one that chews gum throughout the entire dictation.

I have a doc who cannot resist commenting on every... - ndmt

[ In Reply To ..]
conversation going on around her. Dictate a few words, laugh, talk to someone else, re-dictate those few words because you forgot where you were, start another discussion, dictate a few more words, cut off half your sentence trying to use the pause button, dictate a few more words, tell me you lost your place (DUH...) and re-dictate the one coherent sentence you managed to get out.

Pet dictation peeve - Allison45

[ In Reply To ..]
ndmt - sounds EXACTLY like an ER doc in San Diego - apologizes profusely for always having to start over but simply cannot resist the urge to get involved in every single conversation around her. If only there was a way to reach through the computer and smack her!

Similar Messages:

Pet Peeve..
Aug 07, 2012

Just venting.. why does the dictator feel the need to state, "Briefly..." in every one of her reports, as she starts dictating an almost 30-minute report? Just annoys me! ...

Peeve
Aug 29, 2012

Sorry, I just have to vent. This PhD I type evals for uses the phrase, "The form indicates...."  The form is filled out by the parents.  It would seem to me that the PARENTS indicate -- as the form is an inanimate object and cannot "indicate" anything.  OK, getting off my soap box and back to work.  P.S. She also ends many sentences in prepositions. ...

My Pet Peeve
Jan 26, 2013

It is beginning to drive me CRAZY that these companies never feel like they owe us any explanation whatsoever when we run out of work.  On my job, I will have full lines maybe three days and then the fourth day not one drop of work.  Sometimes, I will email my supervisor to ask her and don't get a response back.  I cannot understand why anyone would feel that we should go to work, not have a single thing to do, and we deserve zero communication as to why! Back when I first s ...

New Pet Peeve
Sep 10, 2014

Dictate on your phone and leave it on buzz so I can decipher through that.. ...

My Biggest Peeve
Nov 18, 2009

More than anything, I hate it when they're eating and dictating.  I can't verbalize how upset this makes me.  I'm not asking the dictator to kiss my rear end, but right now I've got an ESL with an incomprehensible accent chomping and chewing in my ear.  AAAARRRRGGGGHHHHHH!!!!! ...

Small Pet Peeve
Aug 16, 2010

After struggling with names like Siobhan, Ahleksi (concocted to prove a point), and Yvan, I am so happy to have a "normal name" such as what sounds like "John Carter." Whew! Finally! A no-brainer! But I start to look it up-- no such thing in the data base. Well! It just happens to be "John Carter" spelled "Gionn Kharter." This is just a not-real-life illustration. But isn't it irritating when you finally get a regular-sounding name and it's not so regular, and the d ...

Dictator Pet Peeve
Oct 12, 2010

I know this is petty, but for some reason, it grates on my nerves to hear:  blah, blah Period space space.   Or Colon space space enter.  I mean, please, are we considered that incompentent?  but on the other end of the spectrum we have those that don't say any punctuation, which is absolutely fine, but a pause would be nice.  It's not necessary to dictate a whole report in one breath. ...

Posting Pet Peeve
Nov 05, 2010

I have a POSTER pet peeve.  When a comment or question is posted about a specific company, why is the original poster likely to never elaborate?  Why are they wasting everyone’s time? What is up with these hit-and-run posts?   Someone makes an outrageous comment or asks a question implying something negative.  Then when you answer and either ask for more information or ask the original poster a question, the original poster is long gone – never to be heard ...

VENTING - PET PEEVE
Jul 18, 2012

I just have to vent.....the thing that I cannot stand most about this job - even more than the pay, the lack of work, etc....is when the dictator CHEWS GUM when he/she is dictating.  The sound of someone smacking their gum, whether in person or on the phone, makes me CRAZY.  I am positive they do not do this in front of patients or other doctors...but since we aren't 'real people' to them...they just smack away.  I can barely get through the report.  OK.  ...

My Present Pet Peeve
Oct 09, 2012

We dont get paid for ADT information,,YET I got back a report I sent through QA and it said I have to fix all the ADT information with ? next to the docs, that is like every report..what the heck? ...

My Biggest Pet Peeve
Feb 24, 2015

has got to be doctors burping in my ears, so gross! ...

Biggest Pet Peeve -- Let's Hear It!
Oct 12, 2010

Mine is chewing of any sort -- food, gum, etc.  They can't be so busy that they have to dictate while smacking.  ...

My Biggest QA Peeve Today Is...
Sep 20, 2012

Unless the CP states otherwise... When the doctor dictates "Dr. Smith," don't pull in his full name with credentials from the database, just type "Dr. Smith." Example: Dictated: " I called Dr. Smith to the ER. " Type: I called Dr. Smith to the ER. NOT: I called Emmett J. Smith, MD, to the ER. If the doctor does dictate a full name or for some other reason you do pull the name in from the database, remember to put a comma after the credentials if it is in the middle of the sentence. ...

Lets See My Peeve For Today Is
Nov 27, 2012

How do you keep every profile straight when you have about 60 to follow?  And how do you make any money?  Honestly would rather be NJA then handle all these different accounts, at least I could accomplish something like maybe housework, or walking the dogs. ...

Dear Employer: Today's Pet Peeve
Nov 13, 2010

I've been a transcriptionist for more than 25 years, have worked for 7 different employers, and every one of them has always said that it is required for everyone to work one weekend day, you either work sunday through thursday or tuesday through saturday.  Then I see an email to all employees that says, "please consider changing your schedule to work a weekend day."  WTF?  There are people not already working a weekend day?  That makes me feel pretty stupid for all the ...

Pet Peeve. Docs Who Use "in Lieu Of" Incorrectly
Jun 09, 2011

Does anyone else run across this?  I work on a verbatim account and a few of the doctors say "in lieu of" when they clearly mean "in light of."  I've flagged these before, but QA has always left them as is.  It gets on my nerves. ...

H & P Dictation
Oct 22, 2011

Physician dictates, "Patient underwent a s/l urectral stent.  Any ideas anyone?  Thank you.  ...

EMR Dictation
Mar 15, 2013

How do you charge your physician for putting information into EMR?  Do you charge per patient?  per hour?  What is a fair price?  ...

How Do You Get Your Dictation?
Jul 16, 2013

How do you get your dictation? ...

Dictation App
Aug 06, 2014

I think it is safe to say that we can expect even worse sound quality now that the doctors are using a dictation app. I can say I have already noticed this on my accounts. Remember when doctors were encouraged not to dictate on their cell phone? Now it is being encouraged! Hard to believe MM cares about quality.... ...

BL Dictation
Oct 08, 2014

OK just putting a little lightness in the air, as I NEED IT.  Does BL, and you will know who I am talking about perhaps, have a hairball problem?  LOL!   ...

Dictation
Nov 04, 2014

Dear Doctor/Physician/Dictator Can you please dictate the report as if it was YOUR family member that the report is about? ...

HELP With Cardio Dictation
Oct 14, 2009

Please help if you can! The doctor is talking way too fast, I can't even understand it when I slow it down... I'm hearing the following:  "Patient had fiberoptic *****. ?Internal? tracheostomy was ******." Also having trouble with the following:"...interrupted 6-0 Prolene. The ****** were noted at completion of the repair and then the wound was irrigated and closed with interrupted 3-0 Dexon and running 4-0 nylon." Thanks   ...

Cardiology Dictation
Nov 30, 2009

The dictator is naming medications. One of them sounds like Colife, but when I research it I find nothing. Does anyone know what this medication could be? ...

From A Head Ct Dictation
Mar 09, 2010

(Philpha)contiguous (cyamal) images were obtained ... Thank you.   ...

75 Minutes Of Dictation
Apr 05, 2010

How long does it take to transcribe 75 minutes of dictation? ...

Emotional Dictation
Jul 12, 2010

Just had a dictator sobbing and choking up while dictating on an AML toddler with a poor prognosis.  Dictation was still clear enough, but it was hard to keep from not choking up myself.  If I was an MD, that would be the part of the job I don't think I would be able to handle. ...

Yawning Over The Same Bit Of Dictation
Sep 12, 2010

Had to leave a blank due to yawn (the doc, not me, although this can be a snooze fest at times).  I was hoping to fill in the blank later on when I got to the assessment.  Darn if the doc didn't yawn again over the same thing.  What are the chances of that?  Oh, well. ...

Charging For EMR Dictation
Sep 21, 2010

Does anyone know the standards for charging for dictation into an EMR (SOAPware).  There's really no way to check line count.  Do you charge by how many minutes are dictated?  I'm in a quandry and think I'm being taken advantage of.  Thanks in advance.  ...

Clinical Dictation
Oct 29, 2010

Opinions, please. Does anyone know if it's possible to get work at home employment doing clinical dictation only?  If so, do you think it's possible with only basic medical transcription training? ...