A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Just saw on the CBS evening news that the gov. is going to crack down on for-profit schools. - mtmtmt

Posted: Jun 02, 2011

Apparently they're exorbitantly priced, large percentages of their students default on their government loans, and they don't prepare the students adequately for the careers they promised.  Sound familiar?

It's about time. - sweetgirlsmom

[ In Reply To ..]
I saw a program recently about for-profit colleges. Three young women were suing their school after they could not get nursing jobs. Their pediatrics instruction consisted of one day spent observing at a day care center. They were not told anything about caring for sick children.

sweetgirlsmom - Old Pro

[ In Reply To ..]
Good for them! I hope they come after the quasi-matchbooks that supposedly teach MT and shut them down. Too many wannabe MTs cheap out and pick some school that they saw advertising in the women's magazines, only to discover, too late, that most MTSOs have a bias against some of these schools. (And with good reason, too.) Like the school that taught pediatrics by observing at a day care center, these nutty schools have people transcribe tapes read by actors. They do not use the SUM program and their grads are left to fend for themselves. It would be interesting to see what percentage of those grads never find jobs without further, proper schooling.

Some of the community colleges are the worst offenders, or at least just as bad - About time for them as well

[ In Reply To ..]
There are community colleges that are putting people out thinking they know how to transcribe when they've only had an introduction, and a bad one at that. It isn't always the instructor's fault. Administration at these schools don't even know what medical transcription is. They will take someone who has a degree, any kind of degree, no kind of experience in MT, and have them teach people to do what they don't know how to do themselves. They might not even charge very much, but the harm is done because the graduates think they can transcribe. They get hurt when they find out they can't.

I know there are exceptions, schools that have someone teaching MT who really knows how to do it and then give them the time they need and the materials to do a good job. Most that I've seen do not. I think the problem is community colleges, as a group, have not done well and their graduates don't have what they need to succeed, so that means that administration assumes that no graduate of any school can find a job, because their graduates can't, so they pull resources and money from that course, making it still worse, and then wonder why their program is failing. Some are giving up at this point, which is a very good thing, in my opinion. There are still some that are doing a good job. They are just few and far between.
RE: Community colleges - Old Pro
[ In Reply To ..]
I fully agree. I have never been comfortable hiring a community college grad. Some of they may be very good, but many are not. They do not give nearly enough instruction, most do not use SUM, and the poor graduates do not realize how ill-prepared they are until they hit the job market.

Similar Messages:

CBS Evening News Did An Even Bigger Story
Feb 07, 2015

Maybe this will be investigated deeply enough to reveal the travesty that our profession has become, and the role offshoring medical records plays in ID theft. ...

Yahoo News "India's Medical Schools Plagued With Fraud"
Jun 18, 2015

A commenter said that to work in the US, the foreign doctor has to intern in the States.  I have to research if that is true.  Anyone know? ...

Profit Vs. Not-for-profit Hospitals...
Sep 13, 2012

Are there any opinions whether a not-for-profit (religious-affiliated) hospital is less likely to outsource their medical transcription work....more likely to try to keep the jobs in-house for their employees?   I had a friend tell me that, about trying to get a job with a not-for-profit hospital near us.  However, though I'm sure they'd LOVE to keep their employees' jobs, I just have to wonder how ANY hospital is able to keep their MT department in-house in this curren ...

Crack That Whip!
Jun 13, 2015

in reading about the pressure cooker conditions we're all under trying to meet MModal's standards - and for minimum wage at that - I think, "Crack that whip!"  Then from there, my mind goes to a story of a woman I once knew who was a supervisor of some kind, and she said once she meant to jokingly yell that out to the employees, but what came out of her mouth instead was, "Whip that crack!"  She was mortified.  I guess there's a funny side to everything. ...

Transolutions--applied And Tested--no News Good News? Anyone Else Heard? Nm
Mar 10, 2011

nm ...

Dr. Cecil's Crack Cream???
May 11, 2013

Anybody ever heard of this? I can't find it anywhere. ...

Shaw's E Mails Literally Crack Me Up!
Jul 23, 2013

These stupid tips he gives in his e mails. Has he ever transcribed a day in his life?? My guess..no! ...

My Husband Asked Me If The People Who Came Up With This New Pay Plan Were Smoking Crack. Sm
Dec 03, 2014

I had to laugh through my disgust. ...

The Q Posts 34% Profit....
Nov 12, 2010

MedQuist sees 34% increase in Q3 revenue Published 12 November 2010 MedQuist has posted a net income of $8.97m in the third quarter 2010, or $0.24 per diluted share, compared to net income of $9.7m, or $0.26 per diluted share, in the comparable period in 2009. MedQuist is a provider of integrated clinical documentation solutions for the US healthcare industry. MedQuist's operating income was $13.29m, compared to $8.12m for the comparable period in 2009. The company has posted a ...

Transcription Co. Profit 101
Dec 03, 2014

For a transcription company, their biggest sales pitch is voice recognition.  This is how it works . . . 1.  Hire us, and it will only be a matter of a few months, and 75% of your documents will be 100% voice recognition - cost 0.3 cents per line. 2.  During the system training, the cost is 0.20 cents a line for documents that are transcribed completely from voice. 3.  Documents that are edited by transcriptionists, are only 0.7 cents per line. The hospital does the math, ...

Profit And Loss Statement
Jun 13, 2010

i am an at home transcriptionist and have been for 23 years.  I am trying to do a home loan modification and I need a profit and loss statement.  Does anyone have a sample report pertaining specifically to being an at-home independent contractor?  My tax man says he doesn't know how to do one, although he does the Schedule C for me on my taxes.  Any suggestions/samples?   Thank you! ...

I'm NJA--anyone Else This Evening
Oct 25, 2010

It happens sometimes, but mostly after a holiday. I was wondering if it had anything to do with the CEOs email that came out recently. Anybody else NJA tonite? ...

Employees Who Generate No Profit For Nuance
Feb 26, 2015

I just wonder has anyone ever tried to calculate the cost involved in recruiting, hiring and training the long line of people who come through the revolving doors of Scruance? There seems to be a never-ending stream of newbies. Meanwhile, the long-time, loyal, revenue-producing MTs are getting the shaft. And what about the cost of employees who do the recruiting, hiring, training, mentoring, QAing, QCing, auditing, TSMing, COMing and POCing in addition to other nonrevenue-producin ...

130 Percent Profit But Cannot Give Raises.
May 29, 2015

I listened to the meeting. At least I get paid my hourly rate.  ...

Evening Hours
Sep 02, 2012

Just wondering if there is enough work at night. The few times I've looked doesn't seem any different than during the day. ...

Companies That Provide 401Ks And Profit-sharing:
Oct 20, 2009

There's just ONE, eensy-weensy little problem with MT companies providing their employees with a 401K as one of their benefits: What person on a measly MT's earnings can afford to put anything into it?????  I can't spare even a dollar at the end of each pay period, and haven't been able to put anything into even a savings account for years.  Did it ever occur to them that a retirement account is USELESS if you don't pay your employees enough to fund it? ...

Trouble Getting Into REMEDY This Evening?
Jun 28, 2012

Is anyone having trouble getting into REMEDY this evening? Can't get into to place ticket. ...

MedQuist Cost Cuts Lift Profit 7 Percent
May 13, 2010

MedQuist said it reduced employee head count last year and lowered transcription costs by increasing its use of speech recognition technology. = employees took the loss while they got the gain! (Courier Post) ...

Wow! Still No Work To Start My Evening Shift.
Jan 27, 2010

NEVER have I had no work in the evening.  It would be slow and would get to type 4 accounts, NO JOBS AVAILABLE???  Good luck to all tomorrow morning.  UNBELEIVEABLE!!! ...

System Down Saturday Evening, North?
Jan 26, 2014

When I tried to sign back on at 9 p.m. PST (midnight EST), I could not get in, and the DEP light was red. I thought I saw a message on DEP that it was down for maintenance, but I just found the schedule they sent us sometime back, and next weekend is what is scheduled. Was the system down? -- Or were they in fact doing maintenance? ...

Q: EVENING WORK MORE ABUNDANT OR BETTER DICTATORS??
Oct 16, 2014

I like to work mainly evenings, let's say 4pm-midnight Eastern time. Has anyone noticed if there are less out-of-work problems or if there are better dictators available during the evening? ...

Does Webmedx Pay An Evening Differential Or Production Bonus? How Much?
Mar 16, 2010

nm ...

It's Late Evening, Figure Program Should Not Be SLOWING DOWN So Much...
Oct 12, 2010

Having issues with slow program in MT window as well, voice and transcription both stopping completely, cursor gone, mouse arrow gone, no control while computer thinks its way through.  Takes several to 5 minutes to "wake up" and give me control of pedal and screen.  Has happened several times, and I have lots of stats in a row.  If I keep going may lose my work.  Feels like last time....sure hope not.  Anyone else? ...

MModal Employment Ad Up - States Flexible Hours (afternoon & Evening)
Sep 28, 2012

Didn't know we had flexible hours. ...

What Are The Top 3 MT Schools? Nm
Jan 25, 2011

nm ...

OMg, I Wish These Med Schools
May 01, 2012

would teach these up-and-coming's and anyone who dictates, nurses, etc, how to pronounce words.  Just had an non-ESL pronounce auscultation -- "a-cuss-o-lation."  pleaseeeeeee.  ...

Does Anyone Know Who Does Own/run The Various MT Schools?
Jun 21, 2012

I was reading through the different comments below and now I'm curious about something. Does anyone know who actually owns and runs the various MT schools/programs/courses?  Do we also know how long they have owned/run them? ...

MT Online Schools
Apr 23, 2010

Hello im newly interested to getting certified as an MT and wanting to know about the Online schools that i can trust.   And if this career pays well and is worth getting into ???  Thanks for any input i do appreciate it. ...

Coding Schools - Where Did YOU Go?
Jun 01, 2010

Okay, here we go again.....if anyone has attended a coding school in the last year, is attending a coding school, could you please post your thoughts (was it worth the money, quality, etc)?  I know several people are still on the fence as to whether to pay the large sum to go to a private school (Andrews, DeVry) or attend community colleges in preparation to take their credentials in coding.  I've been reading posts saying the education from all is basically the same, of course it ...

Best Schools/expected Pay
Aug 26, 2010

so now what schools are the best (in Ohio)?  are the on-line schools comparable?  and what can i expect, as a "newbie" to be making once i land a job?  is it better to work for a MT company or be "in" the actual work environment.  hospitals vs doctors offfices, etc.  need all the info i can get.  thanks to everyone again. ...