A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

CBS Evening News did an even bigger story - tonight about medical records breach.

Posted: Feb 07, 2015

Maybe this will be investigated deeply enough to reveal the travesty that our profession has become, and the role offshoring medical records plays in ID theft.

There's talk of a HIPAA overhaul. - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
Article at National Monitor. Sorry, I am not able to post the link.

I wonder what the general population would do if they found out about their personal medical information going to India, the Philippines and China.

Answer - Just the facts

[ In Reply To ..]
They wouldn't do anything because they already know.

I don't think the general population knows this - at ALL. Maybe the

[ In Reply To ..]
hospitals do. I would not be happy if my records, SSN, and personal info was sent to any of those countries, esp China. I asked my doctor's office and they just say they don't know about that, to call records,etc. When I call records they pass the buck again, oh I can't answer that. But I keep bugging them, saying I WANT to know. I know they are sick of me but that is too bad. I know nothing will be done about it though.
This is my experience - Just the facts
[ In Reply To ..]
I have said this repeatedly on this board but people hear what they want to hear. My facility offshores transcription. We NEVER send SSNs. Our vendor does not have access to them. MTSOs and their subcontractors are required to be HIPAA compliant; no one arbitrarily sends medical records overseas. If it was on the CBS News and in the newspaper, people know. Do you think you are the only one who watches the news or reads the paper? What would you like people to do? Hacking occurs domestically as well, and dishonest employees sell personal information. You have probably shared your SSN in other ways; online banking, online job applications and other ways as well, if you have a Facebook account, it's scary how much they know about you, and they sell personal info to advertisers. I am sure you are familiar with the debit card security breaches at Target and other large retail stores. Your doctor didn't know about this because they are not sending your records to China. I don't know what health care facility you use, but I doubt your records are going anywhere without your permission. People jump on one or two isolated news stories and things tend to be blown out of proportion and turned into a huge conspiracy theory. Yes it happens but probably not as often as you think. Unfortunately, we gave up our privacy when the world became automated.
Yours is just one experience. There will be - 80 million other experiences this time.
[ In Reply To ..]
80 million? - Just the facts
[ In Reply To ..]
According to the news report, New Jersey and New York were affected and it was not 80 million people. No mention was made of China or India, only that the Blue Cross system was hacked because their network security was not strong enough. It still could have been an internal security breach.
According to 2 news reports I saw on two major - stations (neither was Fox), it WAS 80 mil.
[ In Reply To ..]
Why so defensive of the bad guys?
Not - Just the facts
[ In Reply To ..]
I'm not defending anyone but it cannot possibly be 80,000,000, Anthem does not even have that many subscribers. I'm only trying to get people to think about this: The immediate connection was made that health records were sent to China and India, which is not the case, the records resided on internal servers and quite possibly the attack came from within. Employee records were compromised as well, that should tell you something. No one in this discussion seems to grasp that health records are not sent to China or India, the US-based system was hacked.
Believe what you like, then. - Have a nice day.
[ In Reply To ..]
nm
80 million is the total amount of people affected - not just patients affected
[ In Reply To ..]
And the IP address they have traced to the hack originated from China. Try actually comprehending what you read or watch on TV. Stop making this sound like it's never a possibility. As another poster said, the clients who use the EMR systems have complete access to everything all in one place. I work for imed and they are transitioning several clients to Epic already - and this information IS being sent overseas. The MTs in India have access to the exact same info as the MTs in the U.S. I can go in right now and look up pretty much anything I wanted on a patient by using Epic. Get a clue.
That's a big WRONG. - It was 80 million people
[ In Reply To ..]
... in several states, including Texas, Kansas, Missouri... 80 million people. The company I'm referring to is Anthem Insurance. They are the major company that was hacked - FROM AN IP ADDRESS IN CHINA. Blue Cross is just another one, but the Anthem hack is unbelievably huge.
Yes, you are correct; 80 million people - Freezingmybuttoff
[ In Reply To ..]
-- and my husband and I (through his employer) in Ohio are one of them. It is Anthem insurance and yes, they are in several states. Our SS# is hanging out there and we are very concerned. ... Anthem is letting people know via U.S. Postal Service if their personal information got hacked and if so, offering free identity protection. That's all well and good, but if our premiums get raised again this year, I will be hopping mad.
I know hacking exists but one day last week - I was sitting in my home office
[ In Reply To ..]
and my all in one printer started printing. It was printing the synopsis of a GYN patient's visit. The phone number they were faxing to was one digit different from mine. I shredded the documents immediately, but I can only wonder how many times this happens. I am not a home transcriptionist, I have never worked from home and the printer is just for personal use.
You should have notified the faxer too. SM - Old Anon
[ In Reply To ..]
before shredding. You should have either emailed or called the faxer to let them know of the error (if there was a cover sheet with this information) before shredding, but you did the right thing.
Sitting in home office - Paranoid much?
[ In Reply To ..]
That was not a hack, someone dialed the wrong number and got your fax machine. You should have informed the sender and returned the records. If it was an auto fax the need to change the number in their system.
Paranoid much - Not paranoid at all
[ In Reply To ..]
I know this was not an incidence of being hacked, I explained it as a misdail on the phone. If it happens again I will call the FAXer and inform them. What made you think I thought it was hacking when I explained the incident perfectly clear?
Your experience is not what is eventually going to be the norm - everything done in EMR.
[ In Reply To ..]

You say your facility doesn't send any identifiable information overseas.  My guess is that you are not using one of the EMR platforms, such as Epic, wherein the dictation is entered directly into those systems.  Many of these offshore companies DO have access to platforms like Epic and other EMRs and there's a campaign to eventually have all medical documentation done solely through the EMR directly. 

I work on an account that uses Epic - we type directly into the patient's medical chart, where EVERYTHING is listed -- every last ounce of your own personal information as well as  your family members' names, phones numbers, dates of birth, addresses, employment... everything.  If you had watched the CBS special, you would have learned that once a hacker knows your family information also, they can then begin figuring out your passwords to everything.  Any information you could ever ask for on a person is held in their medical records, more information than in a police report or a tax return or your Facebook, Linked in, etc.  We aren't just talking about hacking into our credit cards... These hackers can find out anything they want from our medical records. 

We aren't blowing anything out of proportion.  It's very real.  Those of us who have been working on these EMR platforms and have lost our jobs to offshore companies taking over these platforms... we've known for a long time that this would happen. 

And no, I  didn't give up my privacy when the world became automated... I never agreed to that at all and none of us are okay with it, except for maybe you.

Careful what you wish for. - IMANMT2

[ In Reply To ..]
If a comp is hooked up to the internet, it's hackable. Doesn't matter about your antivirus software. If someone wants in, they'll get in and the internet is the door.

I've discovered most-if-not-all online typing platforms and other online, HIPAA-compliant file transfer software put the PHI at risk. The "HIPAA-compliant" just fools people (who, I wonder?) into thinking/believing everything is cool and it's good to go to outsource and save a bundle by not hiring employees. Of course, if it becomes an issue the at-home MT is done.

Similar Messages:

Just Saw On The CBS Evening News That The Gov. Is Going To Crack Down On For-profit Schools.
Jun 02, 2011

Apparently they're exorbitantly priced, large percentages of their students default on their government loans, and they don't prepare the students adequately for the careers they promised.  Sound familiar? ...

There Was A Story On The News Last Night
Oct 17, 2011

She worked as a coder at a hospital that was bought/taken over by some new HMO (don't remember the name of it), and during staff meetings, they were telling the coders to replace one symptom description, such as "dizziness/fainting" with a more generalized neurological condition, because that condition caused the insurance companies to pay the hospital more.  The condition they wanted her to put was something rarely seen, one doctor said he saw 2 cases in ...

Transolutions--applied And Tested--no News Good News? Anyone Else Heard? Nm
Mar 10, 2011

nm ...

Who's Bigger, Acusis Or QED? Nm
Sep 20, 2010

nm ...

Dream Bigger
Jul 21, 2013

From their latest ad: Dream bigger. Realize your career goals and discover more opportunities with the market leading medical transcription company, Nuance Transcription Services! From speech editing to QA to management positions, NTS strives to be the best employer in the industry with a competitive offering and many opportunities for you to leverage your talents, all the while working from your home. Working with the market leader translates into a steady stream of work, proficien ...

Do You Have A Bigger Paycheck As An IC? Sm
Feb 15, 2015

I am thinking of changing over to IC for the first time ever. Well I worked as an IC when I first started but worked for family so it was different.  Do you feel you make more as an IC than as an employee?  ...

Who Is Bigger, WebmedX Or Transcend?
Sep 04, 2010

nm ...

Monitor Bigger Than 19 Inches?
Jul 06, 2011

I have MS Word, IT, Bytescribe, and WordPad all up side-by-side at the same time.  Then when I need to get on the internet I minimize those.  I'm thinking it might be nice with a bigger screen to spread MS Word out bigger so the print will be bigger and easier to read.  I know I could make it bigger by changing it from say 100% to 150% but I don't like to go bigger than the page width.  I also might be able to leave the internet open too with a bigger monitor. Has ...

Chartscript.net - Make The Text Look Bigger
May 20, 2011

Is there a way to make the text look bigger in your document screen without actually altering what gets sent through to facility?   ...

I'm NJA--anyone Else This Evening
Oct 25, 2010

It happens sometimes, but mostly after a holiday. I was wondering if it had anything to do with the CEOs email that came out recently. Anybody else NJA tonite? ...

Evening Hours
Sep 02, 2012

Just wondering if there is enough work at night. The few times I've looked doesn't seem any different than during the day. ...

Trouble Getting Into REMEDY This Evening?
Jun 28, 2012

Is anyone having trouble getting into REMEDY this evening? Can't get into to place ticket. ...

Wow! Still No Work To Start My Evening Shift.
Jan 27, 2010

NEVER have I had no work in the evening.  It would be slow and would get to type 4 accounts, NO JOBS AVAILABLE???  Good luck to all tomorrow morning.  UNBELEIVEABLE!!! ...

System Down Saturday Evening, North?
Jan 26, 2014

When I tried to sign back on at 9 p.m. PST (midnight EST), I could not get in, and the DEP light was red. I thought I saw a message on DEP that it was down for maintenance, but I just found the schedule they sent us sometime back, and next weekend is what is scheduled. Was the system down? -- Or were they in fact doing maintenance? ...

Q: EVENING WORK MORE ABUNDANT OR BETTER DICTATORS??
Oct 16, 2014

I like to work mainly evenings, let's say 4pm-midnight Eastern time. Has anyone noticed if there are less out-of-work problems or if there are better dictators available during the evening? ...

Does Webmedx Pay An Evening Differential Or Production Bonus? How Much?
Mar 16, 2010

nm ...

It's Late Evening, Figure Program Should Not Be SLOWING DOWN So Much...
Oct 12, 2010

Having issues with slow program in MT window as well, voice and transcription both stopping completely, cursor gone, mouse arrow gone, no control while computer thinks its way through.  Takes several to 5 minutes to "wake up" and give me control of pedal and screen.  Has happened several times, and I have lots of stats in a row.  If I keep going may lose my work.  Feels like last time....sure hope not.  Anyone else? ...

MModal Employment Ad Up - States Flexible Hours (afternoon & Evening)
Sep 28, 2012

Didn't know we had flexible hours. ...

My TTS Story
May 01, 2010

Here is my TTS story.  I was hired by the owner in July, 2007 as an IC.  I liked the owner. She seemed a down-to-earth logical person who cared about her company, her employees and had a degree of integrity you don't find at the national companies. She asked me what I was looking for and after I explained she understood the type of account I needed and placed me on an account that suited my needs.  No bait and switch which is pretty common pract ...

My Story
Mar 03, 2013

When I was 50 years old, I got fed up with making a low salary, so I decided to go back to school. I started University of Phoenix and majored in IT.  This past December, at 54 years old, I graduated. Before I graduated, I started getting scared that at my age I would not find an entry level job in a young male dominated industry.  I had a few really bad interviews. A week ago, I was hired as an IT Project Manager, and this year I will make close to $100,000. My last several paychec ...

Same Old Story
Mar 29, 2015

Same old story--lost my good hourly-paying, direct-employee job and wondered what to do next. I started looking into records because to me it seemed a good move for a transcriptionist to make. It took some time but I did get a job in records--and I hate it.  I'll do my best and learn what I can, but now I'm glad I didn't spend time and money getting certified in records before having actually worked in it. It might be worth trying another records job elsewhere, since eac ...

FTR Success Story
Mar 15, 2010

Ok... I made it thorugh my first day of FTR with no QA markers sent to QA or client and no guessing.   Look at how smart I am MedQuist!!!  I just did not realize my own potential until you dangled the 3 cpl pay cut in front of my nose.   Mark one on my side of the board. ...

Ugh, Same Story Every Time
Nov 05, 2011

I am honest when interviewing with prospective companies/MTSOs. I tell them my experience then tell them I'm ready and able to work.  Will they have at least 1000 lines a day for me to work? Would there ever be a chance for 1500+ per day/per "shift"? Guess what?  They ALWAYS say yes. They ALWAYS say, "Oh, it's very rare we ever run out of work!  You won't find that problem HERE with us!" Guess what again?  Still ALWAYS running out of work.  Seems 500-800 ...

My Nuance Story
Apr 29, 2012

I'm not on here to bash Nuance.  I am here to tell my story ...... you take from it what you want. I have been doing MT work for 8 years.  I have worked for several national companies.  I was EXTREMELY happy with my job and then Nuance came along and swallowed up our little transcription service just like it has done to so many others.  It was not all bad .........but most of it was.  Nuance, to be fair, does offer 401K, medical benefits, and PTO, even to their pa ...

A Sweatshop Story
Dec 31, 2012

My grandmother used to tell a story about working in a dress factory in the 1950s. They started her out sewing pockets. It was piecemeal work. She had to meet quota to keep her job. If she went so much over quota, she made a bonus. When she started making bonuses on pockets, they moved her to setting zippers. When she started making bonuses on zippers, they moved her to a different station. And on it went. Work, work, work, produce, produce, produce until the whistle blew. Can't ma ...

What's The Story, MT Glories?
May 23, 2014

Hi ladies (and the occasional gent) - I haven't popped in here for a bit.  Wondering what the scoop is as far as any decent online companies to work for at this point.  I've been an onsite MT for about 3.5 years now, but my place of employment has never heard of raises and I just had a big fat financial setback.  I'm currently thinking of trying to find some part-time work online (or even full-time, if bennies are provided).  I'd love to leave this employe ...

ICs - FedEX Story
Nov 05, 2014

Maybe things will change. http://wallstcheatsheet.com/business/why-businesses-claim-their-employees-arent-employees.html/?a=viewall ...

AHDI -- My HDS Story
May 20, 2015

They really want to hear our HDS stories?  Then let's tell them.   http://www.ahdionline.org/GetConnected/Events/NationalMedicalTranscriptionistWeek/tabid/185/Default.aspx ...

Was Just Looking At Nuance Ad. "Dream Bigger" It Says.
Nov 04, 2014

"Keep dreaming" would be more honest though. ...

Anybody Wanna Hear My Story About VR?
Apr 29, 2010

I am a small MTSO. I had a pretty big hospital account that went to ES VR 2 years ago. The fallout for the hospital has been rather profound. They offered me 16 for straight and 8 for VR. I thought at the time that I could live with that if VR made MTs faster and they could earn virtually the same as for straight typing. Well, that didn't turn out and my MTs ran like scalded dogs! I have since learned through grapevine that they are in real big trouble. The remaining few hospital MTs are ed ...