A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Mmodal = Walmart? - food for thought

Posted: Jan 14, 2013

I know a lot of people have some very strong opinions on Walmart, but looking at change.org as they are trying to put yet another Walmart in my local area and people are MAD.  I'm reading through the comments people are posting and can't help but think a lot of things people are saying about walmart could be said of mmodal!

"I stand against these large ugly corporations that treat people all along the "supply chain" as something to be exploited, from the displaced third world worker/veritable slave, on through to the consumer who is convinced that they need to buy more crap to be happy or fulfilled. Walmart's practices hurt people all along the chain of people involved. They externalize costs through oppressive policies keeping their prices low and forcing other business out. But it is human beings that pay the price"

"The Walton family can buy priceless paintings and open a museum in Arkansas, but they can't pay their workers, they exploit trade practices, they undermine small businesses, and they are a bunch of rich Southerners who feel they have no social responsibility--their own sense of entitlement is all they care about." (replace Walton family with Vern and Amy, lol)

"When Walmart can put aside their focus on the bottom line and pay their employees well, offer all employees health insurance and other benefits, even part-time ones, when its managers at all levels can act ethically and lawfully, then maybe, possibly, just maybe, we can talk."

"Walmart should crawl in a hole and pull the cover in with them. They are a sign of all that is wrong with the US."  (Walmart = Mmodal, US = MT industry)

"Walmart does not pay it's fair share. They gut communities of family wage jobs and ruin small businesses. They discriminate against women, illegally force people to work unpaid overtime, etc."

"Walmart takes out of other businesses because they buy cheap labor and cheap products"

"I will NOT support anti-union, employee wage abuse, employee hour abuse or using tax dollars to pay salaries. Wal-Mart is the destruction of local businesses and enablement of sweatshops everywhere. Its a disgusting company and I don't understand why anyone can support such a company."

--- Just had to laugh, so many similarities in big evil companies I guess.  Too bad we can't make a petition against mmodal on change.org and get the public involved and angry over how they treat their employees!

Did you see the special on TV? - me

[ In Reply To ..]
I NEVER shop at WalMart and never will, but the special on TV was just revolting. Besides not paying benefits (or crappy benefits that do not cover anything), they do not promote women to managers, have millions in judgments from the EPA, abuse foreign workers and domestic workers.... the list goes on. Not to mention what they do to the mom and pop stores nationwide....

I never outsource my work overseas and never will.

And just like WM, apparently - very few seem to care...

[ In Reply To ..]
Whenever I go into WM (very rarely because thankfully where I live there are lots of choices)the place is crammed to the rafters... 30 check outs and usually only 2 open. *blech*

I also think the Waltons would probably consider Vern and Amy as something to be scraped off their shoes, as they are not the founders of Mmodal. I imagine the founders of most MT companies have long since retired or died happy after having sold out to every bigger fish that came along.

That is true about WM- 2 checkers and 20 standing - around doing nothing. sm

[ In Reply To ..]
I despise that place, but I can't afford to pay a dollar more for every item I buy from the grocery store. I try to skip around and not go much but on MT wages...... I'll stop there.

I've said that for years. - grits

[ In Reply To ..]
I've said it here, and others have argued with me. Nice to see I'm not alone.

I support Walmart because they are anti-union - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
Nobody forces you to stay at a job, walmart or mmodal or anywhere else..Unions are the downfall of this country...there are other ways to work out wage disputes, unions were made before labor laws were put in place

Although unions might not - be what they used to be,

[ In Reply To ..]
unless you are Monte Burns, you probably owe every thing that makes your working life bearable to them, i.e. days off, 8 hour days, vacations, safe clean working conditions, unlocked fire escape doors, coffee and bathroom breaks, not having to have sex with your boss if he so desired, not having to start your working life at 5 years old, and last but not least fairly decent wages. I could be wrong, but I think unions were what got "labor laws" implemented, or maybe all the millionaire industrialists just got together one day and decided it would be nice to give workers a break.

Maybe so - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
but the laws are there and the fat cat union reps collect big bucks and now dont do a blessed thing but make political contributions. Unions are what drive up the cost of living in this country and are out dated..the laws are in place, so the need is gone...now they are kept purely out of mob politics..And Im not paying a dime for some fat @@@ to sit on his tail and do nothing.
Unions. - nana
[ In Reply To ..]
You say: And Im not paying a dime for some fat @@@ to sit on his tail and do nothing.

If you are an MT that is exactly what you are doing. Our wages have gone down consistently because we don't have anyone to fight for us. Been to the labor board. Only response I got from them is if you are making minimum wage at the end of the week then we can't help you. I did not go to school to make minimum wage.

Some people are so hateful against unions they will cut off their nose to spite their face. Unions have lost a lot of strength, some by their own hand, but regardless they fight to keep AMERICANS working and for a livable wage.

What has been your PERSONAL experience with a union. Sounds like you don't have one cause this is the crap people say when they have no idea why they hate something so badly. Blame everything on something else other than where the real blame needs to be GREEDY CORPORATIONS. If Walmart had a union, we would not be hearing about the mistreatment of the employees. They do it because they can, same as our business, we work our butts off for less, type more for free, get crap for benefits if your lucky to be offered benefits, then being able to afford $700-1,000 a month at minimum wage is definitely out of the question. I wish we were all unionized because this would not be happening to us and we would be earning what we deserve.

I don't know about you but I thought the American dream was to achieve all you can achieve in life and prosper. Only people I see prospering in our business are the owners. Rest of us are slaves. Just keep reading the board and you will see its not just a few its across the board, the mistreatment and exploitation of us. I believe that is because we don't have a union to represent us. Strength is in numbers.

No one in our government or anywhere else cares about us individually but numbers speak volumes. So try to educate yourself a little about unions and maybe you might learn something and can actually form your own opinion about something.
I agree and would join a union in a heartbeat - me
[ In Reply To ..]
Belonged to one years ago and would belong to one again. Maybe some did get out of control, but they were the only protection the worker had against being taken advantage of. Now we don't have one, and now you see what's happening to our jobs. Employers can do anything they dang well please, don't even have to have a good reason to fire you any more.
Oh, I don't think so! Good for you but.... - anon
[ In Reply To ..]
certainly, when you state that, "don't even have to have a good reason to fire you anymore", the "At Will" employer has been around for over 20 years. That is certainly not an MModal deal. And, like it or not, you chose, yes, you chose this employer and signed on the line. If you or anyone else did their home work before they were employed and were surprised by that, well...Nuff said.
Actually - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
I did have a union, in a right to work state..We paid minimal dues (25 a year) that handled the lawyer..The ones that ran the unions did it as a favor to all of us, they were worker bees and reaped the same bennies as all of us...We got a lot accomplished for that 25 bucks a person, but we wouldnt strike or anything like that..What the lawyer did was get the city I worked for into court and showed how they violated labor laws..Got us about a 10K raise one year..I think there were about 400 on my department at the time, not all joined the union, really have no idea how many did, since it was down south and there are a lot of anti-union people here..You can do it without a union, just a lawyer chip in would probably work..The laws are there, they just need to be enforced...Unions now are overpaid, if they werent they wouldnt have sooo much money to fund campaigns of their presidential choice.

Read a little history - old and burned out

[ In Reply To ..]
If it were not for the labor movement there would still be children working in sweatshops 14 hours a day, not to mention all the adults. You might try reading Upton Sinclair's "The Jungle." It is not fiction. While some unions have gotten out of control, they are not responsible for the disasters caused by corporate greed.

you have it backward - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
Unions came before labor laws. If it weren't for the unions we might not have them today. It was the AFL-CIO who brought you the 5 day work week and the 8 hour work day. Anti-union is exactly why you should NOT support Wal-Mart.

I do not and would never work for a union.... - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
Been there and done that. They want you to pay them the big ones and, my experience has been, they don't care if you feed your family, you strike if they say so, not giving you a choice and I have seen many including me losing my job BECAUSE of them. No way, no how, never!
not saying you have to - just saying
[ In Reply To ..]
I'm just saying they are responsible for much of the fair treatment that we take for granted in America today.

fact of the matter is we have LAWS now - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
and unions are no longer necessary..But the recent showing by the unions when, was it Wisconsin, went to a right to work state, shows just what they are all about. Intimidation and aggression.. Why, beacause the fat a$% will not get their pay for doing nothing, and there will be no money to buy an election...They HAD their job and they did it, but we can do very well without them and one or two good lawyers..
Absolutely correct! nm - anon
[ In Reply To ..]
xx

Funny, I don't shop there because of their anti-labor stance. - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
I refuse to support a business that treats their employees like garbage.

Hey, wait, then why do I work for MModal????

I didn't realize they were anti labor.....Now - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
I know I will give them ALL of my business. Good for them!
Really? You like a company that treats employees like garbage? You could go far at MModal. NM - ANON
[ In Reply To ..]
XX
"treats employees like garbage"...how so? - see msg
[ In Reply To ..]
Im left alone to do my work, no QA problems, no mean or snarky emails, no threats...NOTHING.

I punch in, do my job, punch out and collect my paycheck every other Friday. Please elaborate on how you feel we are treated like garbage?

I've been an MT 11 yrs, worked for this company 3yrs after being outsourced. Yes I took a cut in pay, but I have fairly reasonable line rates as compared to what some other companies offer and I still bring home a reasonable paycheck and average at least $13 to $15 an hour.

It can be worse.
treats employees - tuxedo cat
[ In Reply To ..]
I agree with the non-union stance. I watched my mother as a child when her union called her to go on strike and she had to whether she wanted to or not. She was a single mom and had me and my grandmother to support. My grandmother tried to help as much as she could. this happened repeatedly as I was growing up and I will NEVER join a union.!

As far as MModal treating us like garbage, well I don't agree with all of their policies but I'm not going to sit here and bash them either. I've had very good supervisors and QAs. I also do my work, punch in and out and collect my paycheck every other Friday. Yes, my work is getting low like the rest of you, but i'm working with my supervisor in changing around my schedule so I will not end up NJA consistently.
they grow rich off our backs - is how
[ In Reply To ..]
We do the work and they reap the rewards. They can't increase our pay because they have to remain competitive, but none of the CEOs takes a cut no sir.
So quit already...... - none
[ In Reply To ..]
If you have a legitimate beef, so state it. If not, just complain away, no one cares. If you work for MM,you signed an employment agreement. Guess what, there are millions of people out of work, wishing they worked anywhere to get the bills paid. So, next time you feel like bashing everyone else's views, do it constructively, not in a remedial manner.
how was this bashing your views? - how was this remedial?
[ In Reply To ..]
whatever you mean by "remedial." I simply answered your question in a factual manner. Just because I disagree with you does not mean I was bashing you.
why would you say that? - please explain
[ In Reply To ..]
I'm curious to know why you so support big business at the expense of the working class.
LOL.....it didn't just happen folks! Where have - noneya
[ In Reply To ..]
u been? Big business gets big for a reason. You find a better way to deal with it than crying in your soup and pointing your proverbial finger at everyone else and taking it out on the very people you say you support. And, you certainly don't work for them if they are so rotten in your eyes.
and how is this NOT bashing? - how is this NOT remedial?
[ In Reply To ..]
and I still don't know what you mean by remedial, but you certainly don't phrase your views very politely or constructively.
I don't support them at the expense as you - anon
[ In Reply To ..]
put it. I do however, understand that without big business, we wouldn't be the guiding force in the world that America is today. It does not excuse poor employee relations or pay or any of that, of course it doesn't. When the messages here are stated in such abject simplicity,obvious statements, it is hard for me to understand what the poster is trying to get across, of course, other than just being disagreeable.

MModal = Walmart - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
Blah, blah, blah. Until we do something about it, talk is cheap. I've tried to rally you guys, but no one wants to take action, such as joining a union. All you want to do is cry about how horrible it is.

all you wanna do is skip work for a few days - blah, blah, blah

[ In Reply To ..]
What other action have ya got?

you still here? - I thought you were leaving

[ In Reply To ..]
This is the longest swan song I've ever heard.

Similar Messages:

Walmart As Bad As MModal!
May 19, 2013

Worked for MModal for 8 years before I quit last year in disgust. Got a job at Walmart as a cashier, it's my first week, and I was pulled aside by my trainer and she explained to me that Walmart has a production goal of 1000 scans an hour! Then she showed me how to put in a code on my register that stops the clock during low times in between customers. I was floored that they could require such a goal that had nothing I could do to control it. Like, how can I control how many customers ...

Leaving MT For Walmart?
Dec 13, 2010

I have way too much time on my hands today so I thought I would ask this question.  Has anyone left the MT profession and went to work at Walmart, a pharmacy, drug store, or any other store?  Will they hire us since we have been an MT for 10+ years?  What about factory jobs, you know the light duty assembly kind?  Have any of you had any luck getting hired in anything other than as an MT without going back to school? ...

Less Than WalMart Paycheck
Aug 26, 2011

Finally happened.  My husband's 32/hr/wk WalMart check was more than mine today.  How degrading is that? Big decision day today.  Do I walk and spend 40 hours a week looking for a better job, which wouldn't take much? I have tried everything to get my ASR production up. There is no way, at 40% less a line than full transcription rate, that I can even make a difference.  So, so depressed today.  Don't know what to do. ...

Walmart Greeters
Mar 28, 2012

At my local Walmart, they let go of all the greeters as a cost-cutting measure, so we can't even look forward to that any more, lol! ...

Can We Possibly Get Rid Of The Annoying WalMart Ad....
Aug 06, 2013

.....that "follows" us? ...

Grocerystores, Walmart, Target
May 26, 2014

wondering if anyone has any idea what the starting pay is for these places, does it vary by state or do they have  pay system that starts everyone at about the same.  I have been doing this for 40 years.  I wanted to work a few more years before retiring.  The company I work for recently cannot meet payroll,they are either late or pay in installments. This has been going on for several months and it is sort of a regular thing for them now.   I need my pay all a ...

Walmart Workers Are Protesting For Low Wages,
Nov 20, 2012

short hours, poor working conditions and proverty wages.  Gee, sounds familiar.  Welcome to Walmart--I mean M*Modal! ...

I Miss My DSG Walmart Gift Card ... And DSG!!
Dec 17, 2012

Merry Christmas to all!  :) ...

Just For Infor The Walmart Store, Just Emailed
Mar 18, 2015

With the employee discout wow perks whatever, is way more expensive than the store. So, don't waste your time ...

Anyone Using MModal
May 19, 2011

and noticing that it is really not doing a good job lately.  I've not usually had problems with it when it comes to regular English-speaking doctors, but this week it has been a mess.  It is either not putting in entire sentences or putting in off the wall stuff that sounds nothing like what is being said.  I've come to expect that with ESL, but certainly not with English as native language.  Weird.  Must be taking some time off for MT week. ...

What Is MModal?
Feb 13, 2012

What is MModal company?  General typist edit company or Medical transcription company? This question is bugging me ever since this ASR took over from us.. LOL to wrap it up..   ...

SS# And MModal
Apr 30, 2012

MModal asks for your SS# on the application process of applying for jobs there!!! Thanks to some of you, I ran ran ran from this place.  When I inquired about how uncomfortable I was with sharing my SS#...I was told to just use any number.  WHAT?!!? Then why have it there!!! Who in their right mind would give their SS# to a company that hasn't even hired them yet.  I agree with the rest of you. RUN SALLY RUNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN ...

MModal, WHY????
May 24, 2012

Why is MModal posting job openings, when so many of use are running out of work or worse falling into the pool--what with the pay cuts, VR being paid half even though it takes nearly as long to edit most reports, and the fact that I only get my "primary" accounts about 30% of the time and the rest of the time I am typing from the pool so that nearly every report that comes up is a new facility or dictator, I have gone from making $16 an hour to minimum wage. I cannot afford this. Why can' ...

Does MModal Pay OT? Nm
Oct 02, 2012

nm ...

Does MModal Pay For
Oct 17, 2012

nm ...

MModal 6 Cpl
Oct 23, 2012

I just saw that MModal has a tier 3 level where VR is 6 cpl.  Thinking is it worth it to move over when you top out at 4 cpl for acute care here. ...

New To Mmodal
Jan 03, 2013

Would someone mind briefly explaining how the QA penalty works for MModal? ...

Does Anyone Like MModal?
Jan 22, 2013

I see so many complaints about MModal. Does anyone actually like them? I'm in the hiring process and they are calling with an offer. I would like to try it out. I work in-house now, but eventually my position will be eliminated due to VR. I do not make that great of pay, and have lots of down time, but still have to sit in the office all day. I know that all companies have their ups and downs. My hospital being Union makes doing anything impossible and makes it easier to keep the "bad ...

What Has Mmodal Done To Me?
Apr 12, 2013

Well, I suppose any transciption job would do the same.  Before this profression, I was a good little girl who would never swear or cuss and even chastised others for doing so, but since becoming an MT (especially with MModal), with all these horrendous dictators and this buggy platform, if you listen from outside my office, you'd think someone locked a surly sailor with Tourettes in with me.  I've called dictators names that would make a construction worker blush.  I al ...

MModal ??
Jun 26, 2013

How long after being hired to get health insurance? I am currently with Nuance, my ex, who provides health insurance for our son just got laid off and lost health insurance. Our son has antiphospholipid syndrome., he is chronically on Coumadin, and he cannot go without health insurance. I cannot afford $735 a month to cover him and myself working at Nuance.  Thanks ...

Mmodal PI:
Sep 05, 2013

cupcakes, candy filled mugs and T-shirts.  They look so happy, smiling.     Mmodal US:  We get NJA, the swamp board, UE (if we are lucky).  We live on edge and with constant worry.   I really am happy for the Filipinos, because I know this probably represents a wonderful opportunity for some of them.  Time for the rest of us to move on.  Whoever's last to leave the building, please turn off the lights.   ...

Ex-MModal
Sep 16, 2013

Left MModal 18 mos. ago and have been on here encouraging everybody that there is life after MQ/MM.  This week my wonderful clinic goes live with EMR.  The trainer won't even recognize transcription.  He is just adamant that the docs will enter everything themselves and when they don't, he is pushing Dragon Medical.  So I guess I was wrong.  I really thought I found a way out, but apparently not.  It was a great year and a half though.  ...

WOW MModal Is The New UPS
Oct 16, 2013

There is one area we do plan to adjust for 2014 which we expect will impact a very small percentage of our employees. If your spouse or domestic partner works and is eligible to receive health benefits in another qualified plan in 2014, you will be subject to a $100 per month surcharge if you elect to include them in the M*Modal healthcare plan.  Keep in mind that this cost applies only to working spouses and domestic partners, not to children or other dependents ...

MMODAL SUX
Feb 11, 2014

I am so sick of Mmodal.  I resigned recently and I keep getting letters to return things that I have never ever owned or received or stuff that I had sent back to them years ago.  The DEPOT apparently is as ignorant as the rest of them. SO glad I found  real job that pays, respects and appreciates their employees.  I have only one PC to return and they sent me five boxes and a bunch of labels and stating that I have in my possession 7 different things.... OMG.. what a joke!!! ...

Mmodal BK
Mar 08, 2014

There's no mention of the bankruptcy on their facebook page. I have an idea. Why don't we all head on over to there and write something. From what I've seen no one either knows about it or have their heads in the sand. I would be tickled to see that. ...

For All Of You Who Want To Sue Mmodal
Apr 06, 2014

can you specify exactly what laws they have broken?  Yes, we are all unhappy here, but I cannot see that they have done anything they cannot do legally. The last judgment against them was for witholding pay.  I think they are too smart to break laws again. What do you expect to gain anyway by suing a company that has filed bankruptcy, which is always a very smart business move to make if you can get away with it. ...

Only At MModal
Apr 08, 2014

Only at MModal would you get an audit report back from March with a score of 99.67 and feel like a total failure.  Also told I must contact QC for a mandatory review.     ...

Does MModal's
Jun 17, 2014

Fluency work with Windows 8 yet? ...

BOO MModal
Dec 15, 2014

I refused to work OT last week, gave them my reasons.  I think we should all let them know how we feel rather than just venting on here!  I know everyone will think this is a waste of time, but JUST DO IT!  Email either Shaw or our new CEO, tell them how we feel.  They cut our PTO, increased our insurance premiums, no rate increases ever yet they expect us to jump through hoops to get the backlog down.  For who???  Certainly doesn't benefit us, but gives them a ...

MModal ASR
Jan 11, 2015

into mushy gibberish today.  Bah! ...