A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Walmart Greeters - Darby

Posted: Mar 28, 2012

At my local Walmart, they let go of all the greeters as a cost-cutting measure, so we can't even look forward to that any more, lol!

Dont know why - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
They could cut costs by getting rid of the 5 bozos standing there at the front of the store talking instead of working and put the greeter back at the door!

Every time I go to Walmart, there are at least 5 people in their Walmart smock just standing there by the registers talking, like some secret mission, even though only 2 registers are open and 15 people in each line.

PS... I refuse to go to self registers because I want a live person and dont want anymore people losing a job to a computer!

Greeters - Darby

[ In Reply To ..]
Good idea. I hadn't thought of that. I just think it's a pretty sad day when Walmart can't afford greeters any more. Next it'll be all self-scan and no live cashiers. What is this world coming to?

WM Greeters-sm - OlderMT

[ In Reply To ..]
I heard they were going to put their greeters in a different role, directing patrons to open checkouts.

Greeters - Darby

[ In Reply To ..]
I haven't seen that and don't know why that would be needed. I'm just praying the small MTSO I work for doesn't sell out to one of the 2 big MTSOs and I won't need to apply for a job at Walmart. Please everyone pray the 2 big MTSO's don't gobble up all the smaller companies! Maybe if we all pray the same prayer it would work...?

Walmart greeters - mtx12

[ In Reply To ..]
The greeters are still there, they just don't stand at the door and gradually all self checkouts will be gone. New stores being built aren't getting them (self checkouts) and the ones that still have them will likely lose them once they go through their next remodel.
Walmart self checkout - Alice
[ In Reply To ..]
This must be where customer preference has made the difference. I'm so glad Walmarts are getting rid of the self-checkouts. I hated the self checkout the first time, gave it a second chance and still hated it. I personally don't need anyone directing me to a checkout line; I would prefer to chose one myself.
And another thing... - AnonToo
[ In Reply To ..]
I think if they do that I'll feel like cattle at Frye's.

I also do NOT understand why they build 27 checkout lanes when they have TWO open and then 5 'managers' at the little "desk" stand in the back talking all the time. Save money. Build the 2-3 you are REALLY going to open.
Walmart self checkout - SouthernBelle
[ In Reply To ..]
We have 2 Wal-Marts close to me, 1 has self checkout and the other doesn't. I rarely go to the one that has self checkout because they seem to either have no "human" cashier lines or it's only 1 with the whole world waiting in it. I refuse to do self checkout as it's providing free labor for stores. If they gave me a discount for doing it then I'd be happy to use it. It's their corporate policy that if you ask the person manning the self checkouts to check you out if you ask but you wouldn't believe how many times I've encountered attitudes for this by that person, even after reminding them of the company policy. I even had 1 time there were no other customers in self checkout, no human lines open and the girl was so lazy she walked over to customer service to get someone there to come ring me out. I had the manager called at that time and told him in front of her how lazy and worthless she was and needed to be fired for that. Too many people looking for work to put up with that.

Good idea - AnonToo

[ In Reply To ..]
There are greeters here except for at Neighborhood Walmarts, which are more like grocery stores. There are NO self-checkouts at the SuperWalmarts, and only at the Neighborhoods.

What I would like is (1) train people not to put CANS ON TOP OF BREAD and (2) train people NOT to comment on my items. I've had personal comments on my pregnancy tests when I was trying to get pregnant, on the type of bath soap I have used, and other things throughout the years. Just scan it and bag it, make small talk, but don't comment on people's purchases. Thank goodness I have other options than Walmart. It's not the items that bug me, it's the dirtiness of the stores and it seems to attract employees that IMO don't understand being polite at times. But OTOH we have one checker at the Target I go to that never stops complaining about her job and her husband...ever. For awhile she was gone, so I thought someone had listened (because I mean she really goes on and on) but she's back.
Self-checkouts - mtlt
[ In Reply To ..]
There are self-checkouts at the Wal-Mart Supercenter in Russellville, AR.

I do agree with you on the training however. :)
Oh I don't doubt it - AnonToo
[ In Reply To ..]
I know in our region of the state the SuperWalmarts tend to not have them; but, neighborhoods do. My MIL's area NEVER had them at Super or regular Walmarts (I do have to wonder if it is because her area of the state is high crime, but that's just my hypothesis). Her area also has ALL DVDs and what not locked up whereas ours like video games MAY be (not all are) and stuff like that. She doesn't even have neighborhood Walmarts in her region and her "super target" is not the same as ours, for example our Super Target has a deli, produce, 4 rows of frozen food...essential just like a SuperWalmart. But hers has maybe bananas and apples, no deli, only frozen meats, and takes up maybe 1/4 of the store.

Now ideally, I'd like to shop at Trader Joes but that won't be happening anytime soon where I live ;)

Similar Messages:

Leaving MT For Walmart?
Dec 13, 2010

I have way too much time on my hands today so I thought I would ask this question.  Has anyone left the MT profession and went to work at Walmart, a pharmacy, drug store, or any other store?  Will they hire us since we have been an MT for 10+ years?  What about factory jobs, you know the light duty assembly kind?  Have any of you had any luck getting hired in anything other than as an MT without going back to school? ...

Less Than WalMart Paycheck
Aug 26, 2011

Finally happened.  My husband's 32/hr/wk WalMart check was more than mine today.  How degrading is that? Big decision day today.  Do I walk and spend 40 hours a week looking for a better job, which wouldn't take much? I have tried everything to get my ASR production up. There is no way, at 40% less a line than full transcription rate, that I can even make a difference.  So, so depressed today.  Don't know what to do. ...

Mmodal = Walmart?
Jan 14, 2013

I know a lot of people have some very strong opinions on Walmart, but looking at change.org as they are trying to put yet another Walmart in my local area and people are MAD.  I'm reading through the comments people are posting and can't help but think a lot of things people are saying about walmart could be said of mmodal! "I stand against these large ugly corporations that treat people all along the "supply chain" as something to be exploited, from the displaced third worl ...

Walmart As Bad As MModal!
May 19, 2013

Worked for MModal for 8 years before I quit last year in disgust. Got a job at Walmart as a cashier, it's my first week, and I was pulled aside by my trainer and she explained to me that Walmart has a production goal of 1000 scans an hour! Then she showed me how to put in a code on my register that stops the clock during low times in between customers. I was floored that they could require such a goal that had nothing I could do to control it. Like, how can I control how many customers ...

Can We Possibly Get Rid Of The Annoying WalMart Ad....
Aug 06, 2013

.....that "follows" us? ...

Grocerystores, Walmart, Target
May 26, 2014

wondering if anyone has any idea what the starting pay is for these places, does it vary by state or do they have  pay system that starts everyone at about the same.  I have been doing this for 40 years.  I wanted to work a few more years before retiring.  The company I work for recently cannot meet payroll,they are either late or pay in installments. This has been going on for several months and it is sort of a regular thing for them now.   I need my pay all a ...

Walmart Workers Are Protesting For Low Wages,
Nov 20, 2012

short hours, poor working conditions and proverty wages.  Gee, sounds familiar.  Welcome to Walmart--I mean M*Modal! ...

I Miss My DSG Walmart Gift Card ... And DSG!!
Dec 17, 2012

Merry Christmas to all!  :) ...

Just For Infor The Walmart Store, Just Emailed
Mar 18, 2015

With the employee discout wow perks whatever, is way more expensive than the store. So, don't waste your time ...