A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

anyone had successfully filed a claim with the Department of Labor regarding unpaid time? - mt70

Posted: Oct 03, 2013

I was wondering if anyone had successfully filed a claim with the Department of Labor regarding unpaid time waiting for jobs or being "engaged to wait." 

I have often wondered about this - as well...

[ In Reply To ..]
but there must be some loophole to this, or many transcriptionists would have tried to use this before. I am suspecting that it has something to do with us being paid for "production." We only get paid for what we actually do, not for the work we are waiting for, but I am not sure. It is just a thought. It would be nice though!

The loophole is that they give us options - curiousMT

[ In Reply To ..]
to either sign off and take the day off, flex our hours, or take PTO. If they told us to work only our regular schedule and there was no work and no other options then they would have to pay for the time waiting for work. Cheap, cheap, miserly corporation.

Engaged to wait applies only to in-house positions. - I have researched the law

[ In Reply To ..]
Unfortunately, telecommuters are waiting to be engaged because the assumption is you have freedom to go do other stuff. Although, at least for our line of work, we know that isn't exactly true for us. We are entangled in the web of a law that works better for other telecommuting occupations. I am sure big business lobbied for this very well.

Just isn't fair for us MTs. Supposedly we have a schedule and this "make up" time requirement is ridiculous. I can just hear the fat cats above cackling.

I further investigated, and it isn't illegal to make us use our PTO if we don't have work! Technically, we can even be called into to work even if we are on PTO! The laws are very slanted towards businesses making money.

With all due respect, I think you have misunderstood - curiousMT

[ In Reply To ..]
what you have read or you have been given incorrect information. Please refer to the DOL website for the correct info.

waiting for work - Ari

[ In Reply To ..]
I was told (now it is 7 minutes) but we had to wait 15 minutes and if no work we do the sign off/sign on game and you can "choose" to sign off for the day or sign off/sign on as you fight each other for work. They fired me in August because "I was part-time" I am now getting unemployment and am so much more relaxed without working for this company. Somehow the money ended up being half, but not buying headache medicine has made up for that LOL. They don't have to pay you while you are sitting there waiting except for a few states, who say you have to be paid a minimum of 4 hours and I am sorry I don't know which they are, but if you want ANY work have fun sitting and waiting...... Something I did learn from Unemployment is you can get partial unemployment if you are not getting your full days work. So if you are scheduled 40 hours and you only get 20 you can get unemployment for those 20 hours you didn't work.

Since you have researched the law - Nick

[ In Reply To ..]
Could I impose on you to provide a couple of case citations? This would help me greatly (and would help me help other MTs). I am not doubting what you are saying--just interested in to how you got to where you are with the research. Thanks!

Similar Messages:

Has Anyone Reported A Company To The Department Of Labor For Unpaid Overtime?
Aug 06, 2011

If you have, can you explain the process?  Did you supply them with a weekly log of your hours?  Did you file to the state you reside or the Department of Labor where your company has its main office?  How long did it take to get your check;-)  How were you paid - did they figure an average hourly rate as we are paid per line?  Any info appreciated.  ...

CA. Labor Board States "Good Case" Regarding Unpaid Labor
Jun 22, 2015

A fellow MT posted on the Nuance board that she contacted the California Labor Board regarding unpaid labor.  I hope this case creates a precedent!  For me, some jobs are so laden with problems half my time is spent researching and correcting dictator errors - for no pay!  We are not paid to check email, answer email, train, review of all the documents emailed to us, review changes in procedure, doctor exceptions to the rule, working with tech support, reviewing QA, searchin ...

Department Of Labor Audit
May 07, 2015

I received an email recently from my company stating that they were undergoing a random DOL audit followed by a questionnaire in the mail from the DOL...which the company stated was voluntary and it was up to us to decide if we wanted to answer it.  Just wondering if anyone has experienced this and knows what is going on and how this could affect our jobs?  I am currently working as an independent contractor on a Veterans Affairs account and would like to keep my job...a ...

Webmedx/Department Of Labor Cold Call???
Jan 27, 2011

Just curious, Has anyone, working for Webmedx, received an anaymous call, from the Department of Revenue, requesting information about your salary at Webmedx, stating they received your information as part of a list of employees from Webmedx??? I declined to answer as the individual could/would not provide any identifying information, including name, and the number was blocked.  Please advise as I am concerned about possible identity theft, especially in light of the fact that I am not e ...

Survey Of Interest For Department Of Labor Suit.
May 07, 2015

I've been observing Medquist/M*modal for the past number of years since their previous law suit. The technologies they have employed as of late are widely viewed as intentionally inhibiting, many employees stating that this speech recognition program, as well as constant shuffling of work pools, or "pods" prevent the familiarity that is central to profit,accuracy, and productivity. I intend to gauge the interest and willingness of participation in the current M*modal employee community. Pl ...

Looking For Former DIT Unpaid ICs; Question For You Now That Tax Time Is Here
Jan 01, 2011

Oh, those 2 dreaded words – TAX TIME Over the past year it seems as though there were more and more MTSOs not paying their Independent Contractors (especially DIT), leaving those MTs with little recourse to collect their wages.  I have never had contact with DIT, so I am kind of blind in my assumptions, and I may be way off base. If I am, just ignore the rest of my ramblings.   I assume that as Independent Contractors working for DIT, the MTs were billing or invoicing DIT peri ...

Okay, Another Question On The Unpaid Time Off
Dec 03, 2013

have to exhaust your PTO before you can use it? I can see my TSM saying that is only after PTO runs out. TIA. This doesn't really answer my question: Q.  How much time off without pay can I take per year? A.  M*Modal is providing five additional days off to use as unpaid excused absences. All HDS/SHDA will have the ability to take up to 13 unpaid days off each year.  These absences can be used for sickness, family emergencies, vacations or other activities. However, al ...

Department Of Labor Says 40 Hours Equals 40 Hours...
Sep 16, 2014

...check it out for yourselves. Employees are not independent contractors. If you signed up for a straight 8 per day, your time sheet should reflect only the breaks you take off the clock. They are so messing with you folks! ...

Where Is The Code To Claim This Wasted Time
Mar 19, 2012

I got no code. ...

"unpaid Time Off" For Production-paid Employees
Jun 26, 2011

Looking to find out from others if this "UTO" is a normal industry-wide policy for production-paid transcriptionists who are not paid for time when lines are not turned in; example, storms, power outages, company's platform down, etc.  Losing pay and bonuses for not working the same hour twice and getting paid for once.  Losing time for sleep, family and medical regimen, too.  What is the norm out there?  This just started recently.  Don't mind not being paid f ...

"no Unpaid Time Off"
Nov 29, 2013

I know what this means, but what I want to know from those that have worked for Nuance for a while is what happens if you HAVE to take unpaid time off?  How can they stop you from taking it?  Co was bought out & this (among other things) has me thinking its time to abandon ship.  ...

ANYONE GO OUT ON DISABILITY SUCCESSFULLY AFTER 20+ AS AN MT?
Apr 19, 2011

I've been doing this since having an IBM Selectric was the fastest typewriter out there.  I'm under 50, but in the past 6+ years, my neck and back have started killing me.  I went out, spent $800 on a Herman Miller Aeron chair - what a waste of money.  I've been getting epidural steroid injections and had rhizotomies in upper and lower.  MRI shows bone spurs and degeneration.  I applied for SS Disability on my own, and was denied.  I spoke with a lawy ...

Anyone Successfully Using DQS On Windows 7 64-bit?
Jan 22, 2012

I just got a new laptop with Windows 7 64-bit and would love to use it to work on, but tried yesterday and it wouldn't not work.  It kept saying it needed NET Framework version 2.0 (SP2) downloaded from Microsoft site, which I did, and it still didn't work.  Why can't they come out with DQS 7 yet?  It's already a month past due.  It'd be nice if they could finally get something right! ...

Has Anybody Successfully Transferred To Another POD?
Jan 09, 2015

I'm getting pretty sick of the condescending questions asked ("why didn't you do this" or "why did you do that") by my PC, who I was moved to during the POD initiation and would much rather go back to my old PC, who was awesome, even if I have to leave the accounts I have been typing on for years.  This PC just makes me feel like an idiot. ...

Has Anyone Successfully Installed 6.1 On Windows Vista?
Sep 07, 2010

I haven't tried to install it yet but I'm seeing so many people reporting trouble that I'm afraid to even try.  This is my own computer and it runs Windows Vista.  What are my chances of having the new version 6.1 install without it turning into a nightmare?   ...

Has Anyone Very Successfully Finished Their Coding Courses Only To.....
Dec 02, 2013

Feel that it's not really what you want to do?  I finished my coding course at Andrews and truly don't feel that's what I want to do.  I feel disappointment in myself because I invested that much time in school and did very well, but I feel it's not really the job for me.  I was just wondering if anyone else has gone through this or anything similiar? Did you just stick with it until you found a job and did your feelings change?   I kept try ...

Has Anyone Ever Successfully Imaged Or Cloned A Hard Drive
Oct 06, 2011

from a PC that was provided by a company?  If so, how does one do this? I work for one of the MTSOs and they provided a desktop PC.  However, there are times when I would like to be mobile and would like to be able to use my laptop.  The company will load their software on their PCs and will not load it on an employees personal computer.  So I am trying to devise a way to be able to use my laptop on those occasions when I would like to take my work with me. I have ...

Has Anyone Successfully Used Escription Or Dictaphone EXtext/ExEditor With Wireless Or
Jun 17, 2010

satellite internet?  I have heard these were the better VR platforms but I cannot find out if they can be used on wireless or satellite internet.    ...

Unpaid ICs
Aug 26, 2010

DIT Transcription in North Dakota ...

100% Successful With TAA Claim
Jun 21, 2010

I have read here that people would like to know when someone has been successful with a TAA claim. I have been 100% successful and am enrolled in school. I receive UI benefits. My school is 100% paid for. All of my books are paid for. I am given a supplies allowance per semester. I filed a claim, I was denied, I appealed, I won on appeal. The state of Colorado appealed again and their appeal was denied. There is a lot of paperwork to do, but that can only be filled out one sheet ...

Rather Than Claim 'it's Just Business'...
Sep 03, 2010

I'm wondering if those who claiim that this is 'just business' and it's how business is done everywhere can give a valid reason why it is more beneficial for the company to lay off without giving notice versus letting employees know they are getting laid off?  I'm trying to look at the employer perspective now and see what benefits the company by not announcing future lay-offs. ...

Do I Have To Claim My Last PTO Check On UE?
Apr 21, 2013

I was laid off a few weeks ago and got my PTO check this week-end. Do I have to claim that on UE? ...

Does Anybody Remember The Claim
Aug 31, 2013

How in no more than 90 days, VR would be completely trained to put out perfect drafts?  What the happened to that?  I am going to throw that up to my TL, just for grins, every time they rake us over for critical errors, customer complaints and so on.  Yes, we are making the errors (or at least some of them) but with drafts getting worse, we are being set up! ...

Has Anyone Filed For UE
Mar 19, 2013

Is it just me or is their website kind of a maze? They want to know what my eligibility benefit is, but how can I find that? ...

Has Anyone Ever Filed For
Jun 01, 2013

from doing editing work?   I have been doing this now for about 3 years, and recently after about 2 hours into my work days I have started getting shooting pains in my hands and arms.  I don't think it is CTS because the pains are only when I am actually keyboarding.   (Then again maybe it is psychosomatic because I hate this job so much! )  Thanks.   ...

If Income Is Less Than $600 As An IC Do You Have To Claim It On Your Taxes??? Nm
Jan 25, 2010

nm ...

Workman's Compensation Claim
Jul 14, 2010

Anyone ever filed a claim against MQ?  I don't even know how to go about it? Any help ...

Lawsuit For Unpaid Overtime
Jul 21, 2012

Yet another lawsuit for unpaid overtime by Keystrokes.......anyone have issues working for these people and not being paid overtime?  Are you willing to stand up for yourself and get what you deserve?  If so, please send a response!  ...

Unpaid Insurance And Wages.
Aug 24, 2012

What would you think if you went to make a dental appt and were told you had no coverage due to non-payment by your employer and the insurance company cancelled you, but..... the premiums are still being taken out.  Or if you did not get your paycheck last payday or were $$$ short? ...

What Is The Limited Hours You Can Claim For UE SM
Jan 18, 2013

So far I am 7.5 hours short due to NJA.  I have some PTO time avaialble.  I want to put a claim in to get started, because the last time I filed in October 2011 they held myr first week, and I did not get that money and went without pay.  I cannot go without pay, so I want to get the ball rolling on the partial UE, then I can get checks and not have to use PTO or worry, since I make about min wage nowadays anyhow. Sorry if this is confusing. ...