A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

retraining programs to those of us displaced by work going off shore - giving up on MT, help please

Posted: Oct 23, 2014

I know I have seen this in the past, but cannot remember what the resources were.  I consider myself displaced due to off-shoring of my work (which would cover most of us), but I cannot remember what this information was regarding getting retraining due to this situation.  Can anyone help?  Thanks so much.

trade adjustment act - thats all I know

[ In Reply To ..]
xx

The unemployment offices/community action - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
The State/County unemployment office put together a package together with a trade school to cover a lot of expenses. Best thing that ever happened.

I think what you are looking for is - TAA

[ In Reply To ..]
Trade Adjustment Assistance, which is tied into the Trade Adjustment Act. This is facilitated through the Department of Labor. You may also want to file for underemployment, and just pester the heck out of your local unemployment office for anything and everything that may help you with whatever job retraining assistance you may be eligible for. Sometimes the state and county also have funding for job retraining. You might want to write down a few "key" words to ask them specifically about in addition to underemployment, such as any displaced worker programs they have. HTH

Retraining - Kindred Spirit

[ In Reply To ..]
I'm also looking into retraining. So far, the schools I've found that offer government paid funding for training/retraining are some shady fly-by-nights in my area (Atlanta). There is one "school" if you can call it that, where you go 4 hours a day to learn nursing assistant, BUT you have to be completely unemployed to qualify.

The schools that touted government paid retraining for records mgmt etc., have gone out of business or no longer offer that course. Very shady sounding when I actually talked to a real person.

Getting ready to make an appointment with job training -- Vocational Rehabilitation Division in Georgia. Apparently Career Step is supported by this branch and I'm hoping I might qualify for some tuition assistance.

Looking into billing and the MBCA program that is pay as you go.

retraining - Grandy

[ In Reply To ..]
There is little hope for any of us, when the U.S. Government deliberately awards contracts to foreign transcription companies, paying them with American taxpayer money, causing job loss and unemployment for Americans.

Similar Messages:

Any Info On TransDyne? Off Shore? On Shore?
Feb 20, 2015

Any info on TransDyne? Off shore? On shore?   ...

Any Other Displaced QCs
Sep 06, 2013

Any other QCs who got moved out of their jobs?  Or am I going the way of the part timers too? ...

VR - Displaced Calcium
Apr 14, 2011

Chest CT - The heart and thoracic aorta are normal in size. There is no evidence of *displaced* calcium or wall asymmetry to suggest dissection. TIA! ...

Anatomically Displaced Brain?
Jul 18, 2013

"He was seen in consult by neurology, diagnosed with brain 2 more and scheduled for penile implant." ...

TAA & Retraining
Jan 11, 2010

Just talked to my state One-Stop Career Center.  Got an appointment for tomorrow to get started on the process of re-training for something - I have no clue what I want to be when I grow up! I had been putting off calling, but it was relatively painless.  I was hoping to ride this horse another 9 years until retirement, but looks like that ain't gonna happen. The local community college offers a truck driving, over the road kind of thing; I'm thinking about that.  G ...

TAA And Retraining
Jan 11, 2010

I called the contact number for TAA in Alabama this morning and was told that the petition is a New Jersey petition and therefore cannot be used by me.  Think I'm just gonna give up.  ...

Job Retraining
May 23, 2012

Has anyone done any investigating to see what retraining opportunities are available? According to the White House and the DOL, our industry certainly has been impacted.  If anyone has run the red tape gauntlet recently, do you have any comments? thots?  I, for one, would like to hear.   FYI: From the White House press office 03-12-2012:  Displaced workers are individuals who have lost their jobs through no fault of their own, but because their employer closed a plant or d ...

Question About This TAA And Retraining Sm...
Oct 26, 2009

I saw the post below about the TAA and retraining and I have read the web site, etc. What I cannot really figure out is where I would go to find out if I qualify?   There is a petitition to fill out but it says you have to have 3 people and they all must work in the same office, so I am thinking that would not it our situation?  Someone said MQ was designated as a company where retraining would be available.  I also read on the web site that your state will contact you ...

Anyone Know What Medquist Job Retraining Ad Is About ....
Aug 20, 2010

nm ...

Retraining Through Unemployment?
Dec 12, 2012

Wondering if any long-term MTs are out there that have had problems since going to SR have gotten fired and qualified for retraining through unemployment?  In the 14 years I was a MT before SR my quality was never below 99%, always well above required lines.  I guess I just cannot read as well as I can type.  I have even seen my doctor, who says that since reading uses a different part of the brain than typing, it's possible that I have had ADD and was never bothered until th ...

What Is That Retraining Called When You Lose Your Job And Its Paid For
Jan 28, 2014

nm ...

MT Retraining Free Online College Courses
Sep 05, 2014

Here are a list of sites that offer free Massive Open Online Courses (MOOCs) college classes/coursework/tests online, some come with certificates of completion but you have to enroll by a deadline usually and once you do enroll you should treat it like a class you pay for.    coursera.com  Stanford,Yale edX.com openculture.com   Harvard and MIT  ocw.mit.edu  almost all of MITs course content is available online for free   Not all offer cer ...

Off-shore
Feb 25, 2010

Our work is going offshore faster than you can imagine.  According to posts, I see we are wondering about the lack of work, in many cases for over a year.  We are behind in getting info on this.  Google off-shore transcription or any words that will get you the info.  The information is plentiful.  Many articles state the hospitals are unaware that work is going off shore.  They just dictate, assume it goes to a central system in the states and we sit behind our des ...

Off Shore Work
Feb 17, 2010

Has anybody read the share holders minutes from Transcend, boasting about how much they are going to increase their offshore transcription within the next two years?  Email me and I can send you a copy. ...

Off Shore Transcription
May 23, 2010

Does anyone know for a fact that Transcend sends work off-shore?  Heard the rumor, and just wonder if its true after their protestations to the contrary. ...

Accounts That Do Not Off-shore
Sep 08, 2011

What I've been wondering is whether or not MQ even wants to retain the accounts that do not allow them to off-shore.  These accounts obviously do not produce the same profits.  Thoughts? ...

Company That Does Not Go Off-shore
Feb 14, 2012

Is there a company out there that is hiring that does not send most of their work out? Please email me if you know of something please.  I am needing to make a change. ...

Off Shore Working
Oct 08, 2013

Currently right now, there are 1301 employers working on our accounts off shore, whiile ony in-state 198 are working.  Now where are our jobs?  no wonder we have NJAs   ...

More CMTs Coming From Off-shore
Dec 18, 2010

New CMT & RMT tests out, so off-shore will be teaching to the tests big time.  This is going on in our industry and others; but savvy big companies are awake and tweaking certification testing to catch the problem; not sure ADHI is sophisticated enough for that.  I am really NOT sure they WANT to address that issue.  Watch the flood of new CMTs from off-shore...and what it does to availability of our jobs.  (Yet there will be the re ...

Anti-off-shore Petition
Nov 29, 2012

Not sure how much good it will do, but here is something interesting.  I guess it can't hurt either. https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/prohibit-shoring-jobs-decrease-unemployment-keep-financial-health-personal-information-safe-usa/hl0t92Mg?utm_source=wh.gov&utm_medium=shorturl&utm_campaign=shorturl ...

Our Work Is Going Off Shore Faster Than You Can Imagine
Feb 25, 2010

Our work is going off shore faster than you can imagine.  According to posts, I see we are wondering about the lack of work, in many cases for over a year.  We are behind in getting info on this.  Google off-shore transcription or any words that will get you the info.  The information is plentiful.  Many articles state the hospitals are unaware that work is going off shore.  They just dictate, assume it goes to a central system in the states and we sit behind our desks and have so much wor ...

On-shore US Illegal Activities By Indian IT Companies
Nov 25, 2009

Related to the US transcriptionists issues with work offshoring to Indian companies, is this article series about Indian owned/run companies in the Information Technology field pulling illegal activities right here in the US in order to save money.  http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/content/09_41/b4150034732629.htm http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/content/09_41/b4150034738024.htm http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/content/09_41/b4150034736588.htm Given that these owners would d ...

Petition To Stop Sending Our Jobs Off Shore
Nov 19, 2012

There is a petition here http://wh.gov/XbqE about stopping off-shoring jobs. I saw it on facebook, and it would apply to MT, I think. They need 150 signatures for it to be put on the White House website. If our jobs were back here and not sent to other countries, maybe we could finally work and get paid enough to survive - kind of like in the "good old days." ...

Ever Heard Of Synovial Shore Company Where Aspirates Are Sent To Check From Knee
Sep 13, 2014

Googled it but can't find company with this name.  Sounds 100% like it though.  Thanks for any help.  ...

Pt With Wrist Fracture. "Exam Reveals *mid Shore* AV Fistulas With Good **thrill* ???
Feb 02, 2010

s ...

FTP Programs
Oct 24, 2009

Does anyone know what this is?  Or what FTP stands for? ...

Who Programs The ASR?
Nov 16, 2009

Okay, I want to know who programs the ASR.  I'm told that we do, but anytime I make a ligit change, it doesn't stick.  Yet, all of a sudden, on an account I have been typing on for 3 years, ASR starts changing the word stroke to a backslash (/) and this is for every instance.  If this is something our lovely ILPs are doing, I don't think they are going to last long.  If this is something our new USMTs are doing, it's no wonder our work is being shippe ...

VR Programs
Oct 08, 2012

I would appreciate some feedback on VR programs.  Are you currently working on one you you would recommend?  If so, which one and why?  Also, are you working on one you would not recommend.  If so, which one and why?  I would greatly appreciate this information, as we are just beginning to explore the possibility of going to a VR program and this information would be of great value to us in choosing a program that is transcriptionist friendly.  ...

Programs For A MAC
Dec 28, 2012

Hello.  A friend is a psychiatrist and just got a Mac.  What voice recognition software works well with Macs? ...

Shorthand Programs
Nov 25, 2009

I would like to know a little more about the shorthand programs and which one is best to use? Thank you in advance. ...