A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

TAA and retraining - whatever

Posted: Jan 11, 2010

I called the contact number for TAA in Alabama this morning and was told that the petition is a New Jersey petition and therefore cannot be used by me.  Think I'm just gonna give up. 

Call back and speak to someone else. - Do not give up!!!

[ In Reply To ..]
Ask them to point to you in the right direction of who to contact. Give them the petition number 72153. My contact person stated right on the phone to me after she punched in the petition number, "MEDQUIST UNDER TRADE ACT IN ALL STATES."

Why this is so different for others to understand is Medquist's office is in New Jersey, but many MT's are in other states working for this company which is making some contact personnel difficult to understand. I posted something down below (under Michigan/Wisconsin post) on what to try and say. Hope this helps.

Never ever give up! - tally

[ In Reply To ..]
I printed the petition and took it with me (I am getting partial unemployment, still working). In Minn they said you first have to do some prelim "employment plan," be accepted at a school if you choose training, etc. before filing for the actual TAA benefits. You can waive retraining, especially if you're older. I'm mostly interested in the health insurance supplement benefit and they said you can just take that by itself. It's a lengthy process, the hardest part is always taking that first step. It's hard to be the guinea pig for government workers who don't know their stuff, be patient and persistent.

never give up - whatever

[ In Reply To ..]
You are right! The person I spoke with was the only contact person listed. I have, however, sent her an additional email asking that she check into this further. We'll see

giving up - money

[ In Reply To ..]
Multiply 52 weeks of unemployment.....That is going to be close to $20,000.

104 weeks of school....That could be close to $5,000.

That is a lot to give up on!

I was told you have to be laid off. - I called office.

[ In Reply To ..]
I called the office and one person is sending me info. Then I called back again to ask a question and now I was told you have to be laid off. What? One says this and the other says that.

The second person said they want to see a letter stating you are laid off or when you will be laid off for any Trade Act to work for MQ.

Call back and ask for application packet -- - Fill out the application and submit it first

[ In Reply To ..]
Don't give up. At least make the request to get an information/application packet to complete. You certainly can't be denied an application packet. Are you willing to call the federal office?

NATIONAL OFFICE CONTACT INFORMATION

United States Department of Labor
Employment and Training Administration
Division of Trade Adjustment Assistance
Room N-5428
200 Constitution Avenue, N.W.
Washington, DC 20210
Phone: 202-693-3560 or 1-888-DOL-OTAA (1-888-365-6822)

See TAA post from 01/06/2010, criteria are listed there - tally

[ In Reply To ..]
Print it out and memorize the criteria, partial separation is one of them we all meet. Take it with you to the WorkForce office, or fax it to the person you talk to by phone. Some of the people in the office might try to frustrate you with misinformation because they just don't want to mess with this.

They might be jealous as well -- - so why bother with helping

[ In Reply To ..]
x
Because they need to know. They are giving out - false information.
[ In Reply To ..]
Do you mean why bother with helping the Trade Act people?
Yes -- it seems you got minimal to no assistance - so, just meant person might
[ In Reply To ..]
wish they also qualified under TAA. If not, then might be unconcerned about helping others who would qualify for the extensive TAA benefits.

HOW DO WE ALL MEET PARTIAL SEPARATION? - frustration

[ In Reply To ..]
Could you explain this so that I can explain it to whomever will answer the phone?

How have I become partially separated from work? I still have work at this time and mostly being asked to work extra. Also, about 1-1/2 years ago I took an extra job because there was no work at that time. So, maybe in the past I was partially separated from work, but not now.

Please, someone with knowledge explain this to me. Like others have said, some states are saying we have to be unemployed or have a date to be unemployed. I believe the Q will fire me for not passing an audit before they lay me off....
If you are speaking with TAA coordinator -- - just ask for application or info packet --
[ In Reply To ..]
Ask them to explain process. If you really don't understand process, then ask person to explain how you can get application packet or make an appointment to apply with staff in person. Your TAA coordinator's office is probably better served just by you stating you have had a reduction in income and hours after working with Medquist who has outsourced 80% of work. Say no more. Ask them to explain how you can at least get the application/information material.
Partial separation - tally
[ In Reply To ..]
You are fortunate if you haven't yet had your work supply diminish, but nevertheless as a MQ employee you are THREATENED with it and that in itself entitles you to apply, see below.

After careful review of the facts obtained in the investigation, I determine that workers of MedQuist, Inc., Mount Laurel, New Jersey, who are engaged in employment related to the supply of medical transcription services, meet the worker group certification criteria under Section 222(a) of the Act, 19 U.S.C. § 2272(a). In accordance with Section 223 of the Act, 19 U.S.C. § 2273, I make the following certification: "All workers of MedQuist, Inc., Mount Laurel, New Jersey including workers at home sites throughout the United States, who became totally or partially separated from employment on or after August 27, 2008, through two years from the date of certification,

and all workers in the group threatened with total or partial separation from employment on date of certification through two years from the date of certification, are eligible to apply for adjustment assistance under Chapter 2 of Title II of the Trade Act of 1974, as amended."Signed in Washington, D.C., this 22nd day of September, 2009

Similar Messages:

TAA & Retraining
Jan 11, 2010

Just talked to my state One-Stop Career Center.  Got an appointment for tomorrow to get started on the process of re-training for something - I have no clue what I want to be when I grow up! I had been putting off calling, but it was relatively painless.  I was hoping to ride this horse another 9 years until retirement, but looks like that ain't gonna happen. The local community college offers a truck driving, over the road kind of thing; I'm thinking about that.  G ...

Job Retraining
May 23, 2012

Has anyone done any investigating to see what retraining opportunities are available? According to the White House and the DOL, our industry certainly has been impacted.  If anyone has run the red tape gauntlet recently, do you have any comments? thots?  I, for one, would like to hear.   FYI: From the White House press office 03-12-2012:  Displaced workers are individuals who have lost their jobs through no fault of their own, but because their employer closed a plant or d ...

Question About This TAA And Retraining Sm...
Oct 26, 2009

I saw the post below about the TAA and retraining and I have read the web site, etc. What I cannot really figure out is where I would go to find out if I qualify?   There is a petitition to fill out but it says you have to have 3 people and they all must work in the same office, so I am thinking that would not it our situation?  Someone said MQ was designated as a company where retraining would be available.  I also read on the web site that your state will contact you ...

Anyone Know What Medquist Job Retraining Ad Is About ....
Aug 20, 2010

nm ...

Retraining Through Unemployment?
Dec 12, 2012

Wondering if any long-term MTs are out there that have had problems since going to SR have gotten fired and qualified for retraining through unemployment?  In the 14 years I was a MT before SR my quality was never below 99%, always well above required lines.  I guess I just cannot read as well as I can type.  I have even seen my doctor, who says that since reading uses a different part of the brain than typing, it's possible that I have had ADD and was never bothered until th ...

What Is That Retraining Called When You Lose Your Job And Its Paid For
Jan 28, 2014

nm ...

MT Retraining Free Online College Courses
Sep 05, 2014

Here are a list of sites that offer free Massive Open Online Courses (MOOCs) college classes/coursework/tests online, some come with certificates of completion but you have to enroll by a deadline usually and once you do enroll you should treat it like a class you pay for.    coursera.com  Stanford,Yale edX.com openculture.com   Harvard and MIT  ocw.mit.edu  almost all of MITs course content is available online for free   Not all offer cer ...

Retraining Programs To Those Of Us Displaced By Work Going Off Shore
Oct 23, 2014

I know I have seen this in the past, but cannot remember what the resources were.  I consider myself displaced due to off-shoring of my work (which would cover most of us), but I cannot remember what this information was regarding getting retraining due to this situation.  Can anyone help?  Thanks so much. ...