A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Question about this TAA and retraining sm... - QA/MME/no more

Posted: Oct 26, 2009

I saw the post below about the TAA and retraining and I have read the web site, etc.

What I cannot really figure out is where I would go to find out if I qualify?   There is a petitition to fill out but it says you have to have 3 people and they all must work in the same office, so I am thinking that would not it our situation?  Someone said MQ was designated as a company where retraining would be available.  I also read on the web site that your state will contact you if you are eligible and there were 14 states listed, mine was not one of them.  Again, since we all work in different states, but we are employed or were employed by MQ, does that matter? 

I am wondering if anybody has been able to research this further than I have and can shed some light on what it all means?

Thanks

I'm also curious. It says that - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
a max benefit is something like $12,000, but if that's over a 2-year period and supposed to cover schooling & supplemental income for 2 years, that's not much. Am I misreading it?? If we could draw unemployment, have retraining paid for, and a little supplemental income, that would be wonderful, but $6000 per year sure wouldn't cut it!

That is only if you are 50 of over and cannot get into training. - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
It will pay up to $12,000 a year difference if you take a lower paying job by some %. It will only pay that for 2 years.

Do we qualify since MQ lowered our salaries? - Scooby-Doo

[ In Reply To ..]
We all took a 30% pay cut for doing ASR. I wonder if that qualifies as a lower-paying job.
No. If you lose your job (are terminated), that is what qualifies - you for this program.
[ In Reply To ..]
Needed to add this to my post just above ... - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
Losing your job due to offshoring - not because you did poor work (poor quality) or didn't do enough lines or didn't show up for work.

In other words, the company has to terminate you for no fault of your own and you have to qualify for unemployment. If you don't qualify for unemployment, you won't qualify for this.
Has anyone been fired and told it was due to offshoring? - Scooby-Doo
[ In Reply To ..]
I doubt it. I think that's why they're nitpicking on our audits (and other sundry actions like changing QA to MME) to prove that we aren't good enough so they can fire us. By nitpicking, I mean things like getting a critical error for "word omission." I omitted the word, "EXAMINATION" after neurologic on a physical exam as it was redundant. My CCM thought it should be counted as a critical error (?) I feel that since our job description has changed, then we should be able to qualify for unemployment if we leave voluntarily.
That doesn't matter. The company admits it in the petition. - nm
[ In Reply To ..]
nm
If you're a QA being forced to MME and - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
can't do it due to carpal tunnel, etc., you should be able to qualify for unemployment since they technically did away with the position they hired you for.

Here's how it works - - I am in it. sm

[ In Reply To ..]
MQ filed a petition and was certified under this program. MQ did it to give benefit to their employees who are being let go due to offshoring. MQ has lost clients and employees drastically and quickly because of offshoring and it ain't stopping!

Anyway, if you file unemployment and live in one of the states deemed in job crisis, the TAA group WILL definitely contact you! They work hard to contact you. They will meet with you and tell you all that you qualify for.

Basically, in my state I can get training approved to be fully paid for up to 3 years (had to submit a request for what I want to train for). It also will pay 80% of insurance from MQ and if my unemployment runs out, it will continue paying me while I finish my training. Not just any training, it has to be approved only for a high-demand occupation in your state.

Me

Is there any way to find out what occupations are eligible? - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
I would love to finish my Medical Technologist degree....

Like I said above .. - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
There is not a "list"...you have to make an application request for what you want to retrain for. They will see if it is a high-demand occupation in your state and the cost/length of training, etc.

Your state must be experiencing a job crisis where it is not easy to find other work. Not all states are included.

Where is the list of states? Is Texas on it? - TIA

[ In Reply To ..]
xx

Similar Messages:

TAA & Retraining
Jan 11, 2010

Just talked to my state One-Stop Career Center.  Got an appointment for tomorrow to get started on the process of re-training for something - I have no clue what I want to be when I grow up! I had been putting off calling, but it was relatively painless.  I was hoping to ride this horse another 9 years until retirement, but looks like that ain't gonna happen. The local community college offers a truck driving, over the road kind of thing; I'm thinking about that.  G ...

TAA And Retraining
Jan 11, 2010

I called the contact number for TAA in Alabama this morning and was told that the petition is a New Jersey petition and therefore cannot be used by me.  Think I'm just gonna give up.  ...

Job Retraining
May 23, 2012

Has anyone done any investigating to see what retraining opportunities are available? According to the White House and the DOL, our industry certainly has been impacted.  If anyone has run the red tape gauntlet recently, do you have any comments? thots?  I, for one, would like to hear.   FYI: From the White House press office 03-12-2012:  Displaced workers are individuals who have lost their jobs through no fault of their own, but because their employer closed a plant or d ...

Anyone Know What Medquist Job Retraining Ad Is About ....
Aug 20, 2010

nm ...

Retraining Through Unemployment?
Dec 12, 2012

Wondering if any long-term MTs are out there that have had problems since going to SR have gotten fired and qualified for retraining through unemployment?  In the 14 years I was a MT before SR my quality was never below 99%, always well above required lines.  I guess I just cannot read as well as I can type.  I have even seen my doctor, who says that since reading uses a different part of the brain than typing, it's possible that I have had ADD and was never bothered until th ...

What Is That Retraining Called When You Lose Your Job And Its Paid For
Jan 28, 2014

nm ...

MT Retraining Free Online College Courses
Sep 05, 2014

Here are a list of sites that offer free Massive Open Online Courses (MOOCs) college classes/coursework/tests online, some come with certificates of completion but you have to enroll by a deadline usually and once you do enroll you should treat it like a class you pay for.    coursera.com  Stanford,Yale edX.com openculture.com   Harvard and MIT  ocw.mit.edu  almost all of MITs course content is available online for free   Not all offer cer ...

Retraining Programs To Those Of Us Displaced By Work Going Off Shore
Oct 23, 2014

I know I have seen this in the past, but cannot remember what the resources were.  I consider myself displaced due to off-shoring of my work (which would cover most of us), but I cannot remember what this information was regarding getting retraining due to this situation.  Can anyone help?  Thanks so much. ...