A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

TAA & Retraining - Foz

Posted: Jan 11, 2010

Just talked to my state One-Stop Career Center.  Got an appointment for tomorrow to get started on the process of re-training for something - I have no clue what I want to be when I grow up! I had been putting off calling, but it was relatively painless.  I was hoping to ride this horse another 9 years until retirement, but looks like that ain't gonna happen. The local community college offers a truck driving, over the road kind of thing; I'm thinking about that.  Good luck to all of us!

Retraining - MT2020

[ In Reply To ..]
I was told by my local Employment Security Commission (fancy name for unemployment office) that you are ineligible for any benefits unless you are laid off. Having worked 30 hours instead of 80, like I have been doing lately, doesn't count. Is it different in other areas? If so, why? That's not fair.

arguing with the unemployment worker - who you may exceed in intelligence

[ In Reply To ..]
You have to give them the petition number of #72153. There is no difference in benefits from state to state. You qualify for 104 weeks of paid schooling and 52 weeks of unemployment benefits if you attend training full-time. They pay for all of your books, gas if you have to travel over 50 miles to school, and any other special clothes or equipment that you need. You are not allowed to pay for anything yourself. Medquist has outsourced 80% of its work to India and that qualifies for the TRA/TAA benefits. Use the number in every conversation with the unemployment office or this could cause you to miss deadlines and benefits. You will be required to fill out paperwork for your plans for a new career and they will have to be approved. Basically, you have to pick the cheapest school that is a real school and pick a real career that you can prove people are hiring for. They give you a couple of months to put this proposal together. You also have to go to the counselor at the school and get them to figure out the estimated costs of your re-training because the government will be paying them directly.

It is not hard, but it is the government and you have to fill out your paperwork and make appointments with other people to help you fill out your paperwork.

It would be a shame for us to lose out on this benefit, so just keep repeating petition #72153!

How do you know 80% has been outsourced to India? Also, why - mt

[ In Reply To ..]
is the government paying for this? I think MQ should pay for it. These companies should be made to pay for their crimes.
It was posted below. Google Medquist SEC filings - Hope this helps.
[ In Reply To ..]
I understood it that MQ has to give AT LEAST 80% of the work to CBAY and then after India types/ASR reports, it sent back to MQ for QA (MME)to check reports. MQ wants us all to become MME for 3 cents a line and since we are the last to check off the reports, we now to get deal with HIPPA rules where you can be fined from 2,500 to 250,000.
Here you go. It is in MQ SEC filings 12/2009. - for everyone to read.
[ In Reply To ..]
Upon agreement and execution of an order form by MedQuist TL and CBay Systems & Services, MEDQUIST TL MUST OFFER CBAY SYSTEMS AND SERVICES NOT LESS THAN 80% OF ALL VOLUME PROJECTIONS SET FORTH IN AN EXECUTED ORDER FORM.

The 2008 TSA embodied a pilot program with CBay Systems & Services, governing a limited scope of work to ensure that such an outsourcing arrangement was feasible. Following this pilot, MedQuist TL entered into the 2009 TSA which has a larger scope of work. The 2009 TSA superseded the 2008 TSA and after MedQuist TL and CBay Systems & Services entered into the 2009 TSA, the 2008 TSA was no longer necessary. The CompanyĆ¢€™s Current Report on Form 8-K filed on November 3, 2009 disclosed the termination of the 2008 TSA.

To: Arguing with the unemployment worker - Foz

[ In Reply To ..]
Thanks for posting the petition # and the other info!! That will be very helpful. My One-Stop career counselor had never heard of MQ and said she would research it before I got there. Hey, maybe I could train for a "green" job, although I would just like some green in the bank at this point.
Lot of good the petition number does for me... - bakedbean
[ In Reply To ..]
I called the one-stop number, was given another number, was transferred to someone else, was then given another number, called that, was told to call someone else, and her answering machine said to call another number with questions.

No one at the One-Stop knows what the heck I am talking about, and I have repeatedly given the Petition number and they said "you have to be unemployed and call unemployment when that happens."

What on earth?
same thing is happening to me - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
I am going to be a thorn in their side until they do what they are employed to do, and answer my questions. I know I sound disgruntled but this is ridiculous, they are passing the buck it sounds like! They either don't want to deal with it, or don't know how.
To bakedbean. What state are you in? - Did you try looking under Trade Act in your state.
[ In Reply To ..]
Trying to be helpful. I went to google and typed in Trade Act for (what state you live in). I notice Oregon has one, Arizona, Washington, Iowa, Wisconsin, Michigan, Tennessee, Ohio, Nevada. These states were easy find the Trade Act office on line. I am sure there are more.
told I need some letter stating when i'm supposed to be laid off - so frustrating...
[ In Reply To ..]
Why is this so hard to communicate? I'm glad others are getting somewhere with this. The gal I spoke to is calling someone else on verification regarding the "prelay off" status. Wish me luck..*sigh*
What state are you in? There should be staff - for TRA/TAA
[ In Reply To ..]
with specific knowledge about the retraining, benefits, etc. I don't think you're working with the right staff. What is your state capital where funding for these programs are governed? Go to your state government web site, then look up workforce development, then look up TAA/TRA. Check for Workforce Development or WorkOne, not unemployment.
does anyone know - bakedbean
[ In Reply To ..]
if part-timers would qualify for this?

What if you only work part-time because there has been no work and you were forced to get another job. Will they still help?
This is what I was told this morning. - Hope this helps.
[ In Reply To ..]
I told the contact person, "Honestly, I am not looking so much for unemployment, but for help going back to school and changing careers." She stated, "When where you unemployed." I stated, "I am not unemployed, but currently working." "I work part-time and had to switch my hours from days to evenings to try and get work and the company was wanting us to work weekends which I difficulty working weekends." "I am slowly starting to run out of work AGAIN and my pay has been cut in half from what it was years ago."

The contact person said, "MEDQUIST IS UNDER THE STATE WIDE TRADE ACT." She also stated, "DID YOU KNOW YOU CAN QUALIFY FOR PARTIAL UNEMPLOYMENT WHICH IS CALLED PRE-LAYOFF UNEMPLOYMENT EVEN WORKING UNDER 40 HOURS."

I stated, "I am more concerned about schooling than partial unemployement." (I thinking I would not quailfy) Contact person stated, "You need to apply for it, you will be surprised." She is sending the paperwork, pamphlets, catalogs, info, etc., today. She all the info will definitely help me. It took 2-3 minutes of time doing this.
What state are you in? Get direct confirmation - from TAA coordinator in your state
[ In Reply To ..]
Provide state, then we can tell you who to contact for definite, factual process.
Help them learn their job. This is how. - poodlepassion
[ In Reply To ..]
Ask them for the direct telephone extension for your state "representative for the Trade Act." It might confuse them to just give them a petition number as they don't have to know how the Trade Act works, but they should at least know how to look for that in their computer.

I'm pretty sure I recall recently seeing they - dnr

[ In Reply To ..]
don't have the lay off rule anymore.

I got proactive way before they put changed the layoff rule and have been going to school since last September, so I doubt I will be able to get any money. But maybe if I go on in my schooling, they will pay? The next step for me is very expensive.
Try mentioning the term "pre-layoff". - This is what I was told.
[ In Reply To ..]
With Medquist under the Trade Act, we do not have to be unemployed to collect unemployment. We can still work for the company and collect partial unemployment because of a chance in the future of being laid off, now called PRE-LAYOFF. Better be prepared either by looking for another MT job or go back to school for another career BEFORE MQ lays us off permanently and then what?

What state -- Workforce Development or WorkOne Centers - have specific TAA staff

[ In Reply To ..]
Most states operate under the Workforce Development or WorkOne Center names. TAA does not necessarily have to be attached to unemployment. If I know the state, I can try to help you. Because TAA is now the ADJUSTED Trade Adjustment Act (ATAA), you DO NOT need to be approved for unemployment. Did you google Workforce Development, TAA using your state's name? I don't think you spoke with the correct person. Not every person associated with a state's Workforce Development office will know about ATAA. You have to get to the right person in the right department. So, let us know what state you're in and someone else can try to find out more info. Take care.

can anyone help find who to talk to - feeling no love

[ In Reply To ..]
Wisconsin and Michigan? Are these states involved.

Every person I have talked to says you have to be unemployed and one person said that He has no information for the petiton number and that it must not be approved yet.

This process is so confusing. I just want to fill out paperwork so I can go to school also.
Do not have to be unemployed. - See message.
[ In Reply To ..]
Try this website for Wisconsin. There is an 888 number.

http://www.dwd.state.wi.us/dislocatedworker/worker_info.htm

For Michigan. Try 517-373-8800 Trade Act.

State, "Bear with me on explaining this." "I work for a company called Medquist who is on the Trade Act list." "I have a petition number, 72153 and I am supposed to receive TRA/TAA/ATAA benefits." "If this is not the office to call, can you point me to the right direction."

You are to receive partial unemployment known as "pre-layoffs". If an office looks up the petition number, it shows MEDQUIST IS UNDER TRADE ACT FOR ALL STATES.

Hope this helps.

Anyone from Oregon? Goingto try today. - You can email me or post.

[ In Reply To ..]
I am completely nervous and do not know who to contact in Oregon, but going go give it a try. THANKS TO ALL WHO HAVE POSTED WITH ALL INFO HELP including Cher the moderator who was kind enough to post info above. Also to Poodlepassion for info and everyone else involved.

WE CAN DO THIS!!!!

I DID IT! I CALLED!!! It took 2 minutes! For Oregon MT's. - You can email me or post.

[ In Reply To ..]
The number to call, 503-943-5685. It is TRADE ACT for Oregon. I was also told to look at website (Worksource Oregon) which I have not yet. I spoke to Rhonda. I told her I am a Medical Transcriptionist and work for Medquist who is now under the Trade Act and their petition number is 72153. She looked up the petition number and said, "Yep, Medquist is in here for ALL STATES." She asked for my Social Security # and then said I might qualify for partial unemployement, even if you work under 40 hours (which I do). It is called PRE-LAYOFF. She is sending booklets, pamphlets, and info regarding schooling, etc. I fill out an entitlement and fax info back. It is a bit of a process, but well worth she said and I better think of what to go back to school for and what I want to do. Lastly, she said her office better stop telling a lot of Oregonians to not get into the field of Medical Transcription. The office had no idea how bad the field of Medical Transcription is to get into until I called her. HOPE THIS HELPS YOU ALL OUT!

Washington state - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
Has anybody done this from Washington state yet? I'm having a hard time wading through all the websites trying to find a phone number or anything to help me with this.
Try - this number.
[ In Reply To ..]
(509) 532-3164

access.wa.gov

Ste 202
8517 East Trent Avenue, Spokane Valley, WA 99212-2334
(509) 532-3164
anybody have a number - for...
[ In Reply To ..]
the Tacoma/Seattle area? I keep being told I have to be unemployeed first or I can't do anything with the Trade Act. This is coming from my local unemployment office.

I know somebody out there has to be knowledgeable about this in my area. Please help. I really want to be retrained for job that doesn't seem to be disappearing. Thank you.
Go to this site to locate your TAA coordinator - Just ask for TAA packet to be mailed to you
[ In Reply To ..]
http://www.doleta.gov/TradeAct/contacts.cfm

Maybe contact federal staff:

NATIONAL OFFICE CONTACT INFORMATION

United States Department of Labor
Employment and Training Administration
Division of Trade Adjustment Assistance
Room N-5428
200 Constitution Avenue, N.W.
Washington, DC 20210
Phone: 202-693-3560 or 1-888-DOL-OTAA (1-888-365-6822)
Fax: 202-693-3584 or 3585
Web site: http://www.doleta.gov/tradeact

I'm so thrilled!! Everyone seems more empowered!! - poodlepassion

[ In Reply To ..]
I'm so glad to see more and more MQ employees taking advantage of this program instead of feeling like victims. I personally hate to hate myself and my job. Well, we're still victims having to involuntarily change our chosen career, but I'm learning that I'm worth SO much more in other careers, at least money-wise. I'm used to employer's lack of appreciation and so have learned to deal with that at MQ, but at least I'll be making more, so there's good news in your future, just GO FOR IT!

I know I am empowered and that is because of YOU!!! - And others who have helped. I FEEL GREAT!

[ In Reply To ..]
I FEEEEEEELLL GREAT!!!!! Gosh, I have not felt like this in years when it comes to a job or better yet, A NEW CAREER!!!

THANKS TO ALL WHO HAVE HELPED GETTING THIS STARTED. For the petition number, phone numbers, contacts, Cher the moderator for posting, Poodlepassion, and all you for ENCOURAGEMENT. I AM SOOO EXCITED!!!!! Gee, even my husband is excited.

This is so worth it and so much better than just keep plugging along and pretending none of this happening and then find out when it is too late, being let go or watching our pay even drop more.

THANK YOU ALL!!!!!! Could not have done it without you!

Ditto! - Foz

[ In Reply To ..]
I am actually getting excited about it. I have wanted to go back to school for years. I don't feel as bad now - so thanks to poodlepassion and all the others who have helped us with this!!

NC - Please help!!! nm - MT2020

[ In Reply To ..]
xxx

Googled NORTH CAROLINA TAA -- - see contact info below

[ In Reply To ..]
Ask for assistance with getting application packet and information FIRST. Read material first then ask questions about qualification process.

STATE TAA COORDINATORS

North Carolina
Grover Houck
North Carolina Employment Security Commission
P.O. Box 26988
Raleigh, NC 27611
Phone: 919-733-6745
FAX: 919-733-1656
E-mail: grover.houck@ncmail.net

Jeanette Canady
TRA Coordinator
919-707-1101
E-mail: Jeanette.Canady@ncmail.net

TAA has been effective in your state it seems for quite sometime.

June 14, 2007, Workforce Development Unit Manager, North Carolina ...Jun 14, 2007 ... North Carolina currently leads the nation in trade-impacted layoffs, TAA petitions certified, and the largest number of workers enrolled in ...

http://www.ncesc1.com/individual/training/TAA.asp

OMG thank you so much!!!! Can't wait til tomorrow - nm - MT2020

[ In Reply To ..]
xxx

Getting really frustrated. - MT2020

[ In Reply To ..]
I just spoke to Mr. Houck himself, and was told, again, that the only way I am eligible for benefits is if I am laid off, OR, if I can get a letter from MQ saying that I am going to be laid off. Picture that! MQ helping me get benefits. What a joke. There is no way in hell.
I emailed the same guy and was told the - same thing
[ In Reply To ..]
I just sent him a reply with the copy of the petition in it. I told him to simply send me the application packet and I would fill it out and then let them determine if I am eligible.

The petition clearly states that we don't have to currently be unemployed.

This guy is ticking me off. If he won't send me the packet, I will call the national number and get it from them. I don't understand what the harm is in just sending out the packet.
I would call federal number -- mention PRE-LAYOFF - applies to your situation
[ In Reply To ..]
It is clear that PRE-LAYOFF status is allowed if you just read through the postings from yesterday. The Medquist petition for TAA was approved at the federal level, not by state. This means that the states assist basically in helping you get your benefits. No individual can "reinterpret" the established criteria of the Medquist petition. It is clear that this person may mean well, but misunderstanding the recent PRE-LAYOFF status included in the adjusted TAA rules signed at the end of 2009. Call the federal number and request the application packet. Also, if you are able to apply for a state program and not being assisted, every state has a 1-800 number you can use to get assistance for further help. Pull up your state's government website and look for this number.
Okay listen - MT2020
[ In Reply To ..]
Can I please hear from someone who actually has taken advantage of this program? What did you do to get past the Mr. Houck's or your area? Did you actually have to get a letter from MQ stating you would be laid off? Did you have to have an effective date of the layoff? Who did you get the letter from? Did you call someone at MQ? I mean, what is the point of this dang petition, if we can't use it? Agghhhhhhhh
NC MT -- called SmithfieldJohnson County office today - TAA staff is helping
[ In Reply To ..]
The TAA staff (female) was trying to pull up the Medquist petition using the North Carolina system. She only had businesses listed from North Carolina that are certified for employees to receive TAA. I had to explain to her about the Medquist petition, but she did got to the Dept. of Labor to confirm the petition. She found the petition. She said she is going to call Raleigh to get specific details about helping me. She was extremely concerned and nice. She took my number and is going to call me back. She was on the phone with me a seriously long time trying to help. She is aware of the changes in TAA, but needs specific info about what is happening with MTs being told they cannot apply. She said that is not true, but is checking to see what is going on. This is the honest truth. You may call the Smithfield/Johnson County office to confirm. When I hear something I will post response. Hang in there.

Did you see post above by MT 2020 that she took in info to prove what MQ is doing. When she did, the TAA people put her in the system right away. Get your pay stubs together for the last few years, print out copies of all the NJA notices from CCM about the NJA policy. Print out MQ's policy on NJA. Print out some of the messages on this board about MQ's outsourcing policy. Print out actualy MQ petition and take these things to your local WorkOne office. As soon as I hear from the Smithfield office, I will let you know. I did tell the lady that MQ's are being turned down and not being helped. She is trying to find out what is going on.
Thanks - Keep Us Posted - n/m - MT2020
[ In Reply To ..]
xxx

Similar Messages:

TAA And Retraining
Jan 11, 2010

I called the contact number for TAA in Alabama this morning and was told that the petition is a New Jersey petition and therefore cannot be used by me.  Think I'm just gonna give up.  ...

Job Retraining
May 23, 2012

Has anyone done any investigating to see what retraining opportunities are available? According to the White House and the DOL, our industry certainly has been impacted.  If anyone has run the red tape gauntlet recently, do you have any comments? thots?  I, for one, would like to hear.   FYI: From the White House press office 03-12-2012:  Displaced workers are individuals who have lost their jobs through no fault of their own, but because their employer closed a plant or d ...

Question About This TAA And Retraining Sm...
Oct 26, 2009

I saw the post below about the TAA and retraining and I have read the web site, etc. What I cannot really figure out is where I would go to find out if I qualify?   There is a petitition to fill out but it says you have to have 3 people and they all must work in the same office, so I am thinking that would not it our situation?  Someone said MQ was designated as a company where retraining would be available.  I also read on the web site that your state will contact you ...

Anyone Know What Medquist Job Retraining Ad Is About ....
Aug 20, 2010

nm ...

Retraining Through Unemployment?
Dec 12, 2012

Wondering if any long-term MTs are out there that have had problems since going to SR have gotten fired and qualified for retraining through unemployment?  In the 14 years I was a MT before SR my quality was never below 99%, always well above required lines.  I guess I just cannot read as well as I can type.  I have even seen my doctor, who says that since reading uses a different part of the brain than typing, it's possible that I have had ADD and was never bothered until th ...

What Is That Retraining Called When You Lose Your Job And Its Paid For
Jan 28, 2014

nm ...

MT Retraining Free Online College Courses
Sep 05, 2014

Here are a list of sites that offer free Massive Open Online Courses (MOOCs) college classes/coursework/tests online, some come with certificates of completion but you have to enroll by a deadline usually and once you do enroll you should treat it like a class you pay for.    coursera.com  Stanford,Yale edX.com openculture.com   Harvard and MIT  ocw.mit.edu  almost all of MITs course content is available online for free   Not all offer cer ...

Retraining Programs To Those Of Us Displaced By Work Going Off Shore
Oct 23, 2014

I know I have seen this in the past, but cannot remember what the resources were.  I consider myself displaced due to off-shoring of my work (which would cover most of us), but I cannot remember what this information was regarding getting retraining due to this situation.  Can anyone help?  Thanks so much. ...