A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Job Retraining - Ultra

Posted: May 23, 2012

Has anyone done any investigating to see what retraining opportunities are available? According to the White House and the DOL, our industry certainly has been impacted. 

If anyone has run the red tape gauntlet recently, do you have any comments? thots?  I, for one, would like to hear.  

FYI:

From the White House press office 03-12-2012:  Displaced workers are individuals who have lost their jobs through no fault of their own, but because their employer closed a plant or division; moved or abolished their position; or simply had insufficient work for them to do.  Our current worker training system does not treat these workers the same; rather, it asks how someone lost their job before deciding what support is available.  Workers in trade-impacted industries are eligible for extensive income support, training, and reemployment services under the Trade Adjustment Assistance program (TAA), while workers who are displaced for other reasons receive less generous employment services and training through the Workforce Investment Act (WIA) Dislocated Worker program on a first-come, first-serve basis.  

From the Dept of Labor (03/12/2012):   

It shouldn't matter whether a layoff is the result of off-shoring, downsizing or a failed business venture. Those who lose a job through no fault of their own should have easy and immediate access to high-quality, job-search assistance. It's time to turn our unemployment system into a reemployment system.

What we're proposing is called the Universal Displaced Worker Program. This program would give every displaced worker access to employment services to help them find a job or change careers. This includes targeted assistance and skills assessments for all displaced workers.

(and there's plenty more on their websites)  

Excellent comments...thanks for posting! - wheres_my_job

[ In Reply To ..]
that's all.

Linkedin - Ultra

[ In Reply To ..]
Has anybody used Linkedin in their career search? There are MT/SR services and individuals listed. Is the 1-month job seeker fee ($29.95) worth the cost? Or shall I just keep googling my life away?

Displaced workers - Another MT

[ In Reply To ..]
I really thank you for giving us this information, and I was not aware there was reemployment and retraining for our industry. This is something I am going to look into.

Retraining. . . - Ultra

[ In Reply To ..]
You're welcome! I still have a few other avenues to explore -- if I find anything useful I'll be sure to post it. As MTs, we have too much talent, experience, creative genius, and boundless good humor to not be able to forge some sort of useful plan of service -- that protects those we love and the patients we serve. . .

Hubby did similar - worked out great

[ In Reply To ..]
His story: His company shut down. He was able to file for an education package. We received a combination of grant money, unemployment compensation,loan money and he had part time work. We were able to keep up on our loan payments and he graduated at the top of his class and has a great job now. At one point his vehicle broke down and they covered the $1000 cost to fix it so he had transporation to school. He had to fill out the forms and do some documented research on why he thought he would benefit from the education. It was SO worth it! This would not have been possible if not for the government programs that helped us out. I hope these education programs don't disappear in the future. It keeps people off welfare and frees them from the employment abuses many have to endure.
XLNT! - Ultra
[ In Reply To ..]
What a great story! -- and how encouraging!!! The resources are out there -- and we have such excellent skills that have been so unchallenged and undervalued for such a long time -- Our country has always had a heart for the underdogs -- and I don't think some of us can get much more under - Like cream -- we're going to rise to the top!!!

making a list -- chking it twice - Ultra

[ In Reply To ..]
Here is one list of tx services, some with web links. The site says it has been "recently updated". I appreciated the "Now part of" or "Acquired" under Company Name. Don't know if the companies listed paid to be included (that was not disclosed). Don't know if the company itself supplied the "company info" blurb. Haven't researched all the financial data or outsourcing data. Maybe this will be of help to some...

http://www.mtworld.com/tools_resources/mt_services.html

Other players??? -- let me know. I'll add them to the spreadsheet.

Very interesting... - ...please see message

[ In Reply To ..]
This is really interesting...thanks for posting it, Ultra.

I'm wondering what kind of retraining, if any, an older worker could pursue. I'm in this situation of having years of MT experience, laid off by hospital, bought out by another MTSO, got out of MT entirely, and now finding I'm not really qualified enough for a lot of alternative jobs.

I'm 56 years old....worried that any kind of retraining program might be geared toward someone who expects to keep working for a couple more decades. If I had to have a couple years of retraining, I worry that at age 58, employers would rather look to a younger candidate who'll be staying in the work force a lot longer.

Have you seen any mention of age on retraining programs? I doubt that they'd discriminate and not allow people of my age enroll, but actually FINDING work at the end of retraining could be the issue.

I'm really not trying to be negative....actually just trying to find some positivity and hope! :-D

Accentuate the positive . . . - Ultra

[ In Reply To ..]
Thanks so much for sharing your thots -- I am fast approaching the big 6-0 myself. Your comments are very close to my heart. I am researching options available to those of us in the supposedly "golden years" of our careers. . . perhaps MTStars could set up a section for the dispossessed -- so we may encourage one another.
Thank you, Ultra - please see message
[ In Reply To ..]
I really appreciate any feedback, and I know there are a LOT of us in the same boat.

At the hospital where my transcription dept closed, there were about 20 of us...one was just under 40, but the others were all 50+. For those who want to remain doing MT, it's not as much of an issue (as long as they can find other MT work). But for those of us who are open to "the next chapter" of our lives, it seems like ANY ideas or guidance would be helpful.

I like your idea of a forum on MTStars for that purpose. There are so many displaced Baby Boomers, but no one else quite understands our particular job experience if they haven't been an MT for most of their working lives and endured quite the same issues.

Thanks for "listening"! :-)
P.S. - Me again (see message)
[ In Reply To ..]
BTW, I don't know too much about LinkedIn but would be curious, too. I have read things that say it's important for job hunters to have a profile on LinkedIn, but I haven't done it yet....maybe that would help. I haven't even looked at it enough yet to know that there's a charge....is that for just being listed, too, or for actually using their job-searching feature?

You do know about Indeed.com, don't you? I've had several people tell me they think it's one of the best job search sites.

I've found some interesting jobs listed on my local Craigslist page. If you're not in one of the cities they feature, that might not be as helpful; AND, you have to be very, VERY careful about which ones you respond to because there are some that are scams or worse (trying to get your personal info). I've only replied to ones that specify the company name within the listing, so I know it's a legitimate local business that I'm familiar with and can research a bit before I apply.
Linking. . . - Ultra
[ In Reply To ..]
Hi -- thank you for your input. I think a sidebar on MTStars would be excellent -- and we could share our experiences as we reinvent ourselves within our industry.

Globally, I have used Linkedin to view our industry leaders. . . but my profile is not open to be viewed. I am simply in research mode. If I were to use the Linkedin contact to communicate with anyone, I would have to pay the fee. If the person gives enough info, you can usually find them on their corporate website. However, things change fast, and the Linkedin pages may be outdated. Same for Facebook. (haha! same with the corporate websites)!

I have also scoped out Indeed, Net-temps, simplyhired, and Freelance as well as the bigger online employment job search engines.

I use Craigslist for all sorts of stuff, and it does require discernment. We are grownups, aren't we? You might want to try allofcraigslist (Adhuntr.com) or SearchTempest for a country-wide search for telecommute positions.

Locally, I have used Yelp and Yahoo! local to find MT service providers, hospitals, and clinics in my neck of the woods.

I also check with the Better Business Bureau and State Attorney General's office, sometimes the court system (to see who is being sued and how problems were reconciled). We who produce have so few protections in this industry -- and these days, we need to try and cover all the bases.

Again, a forum to share this kind of info with the "grammas and grandpas" in this industry who are being scuttled would be great.

Thanks for sharing!
Ultra.... - (see message)
[ In Reply To ..]
Ultra, your posts here on this thread are very informative. Will have to check out some of these sites....haven't heard of some of them.

Thank YOU for sharing!
Moderator of this board - Ultra
[ In Reply To ..]
How does one best contact you? You may respond through my email above.

Warmest regards.

I understand where you are coming from - opting out

[ In Reply To ..]
I, too, am at the age where I don't think it would work to go to school for me. I have decided to try stick out a couple of more years in MT and hopefully my retirement planning will work. However, I think I would seriously look at something you could do as a freelancer or private business person.

For example, my husband is a very skilled trades person. When he is ready to retire, he thinks he would like to continue working as a handyman. I know 2 "handyman" guys who make pretty good money. My guy who cleans my carpet does a very good business and says I should go into carpet cleaning. (My back will not allow this.) Is there perhaps a short course of some type an employment counselor could get you going on? I know they have short welding classes. Sounds kinda strange, but welding can be an art form and sometimes it is hard to find someone to do basic repair work.
Opting Out... - Please see message
[ In Reply To ..]
Thanks for those suggestions. My husband is like yours (mine is a home builder), and I know what you mean...he's done odd jobs here and there as favors for friends, and they all say how hard it is to find someone who's willing to do the small stuff. Too bad I'm not so handy!!! (LOL)

Similar Messages:

TAA & Retraining
Jan 11, 2010

Just talked to my state One-Stop Career Center.  Got an appointment for tomorrow to get started on the process of re-training for something - I have no clue what I want to be when I grow up! I had been putting off calling, but it was relatively painless.  I was hoping to ride this horse another 9 years until retirement, but looks like that ain't gonna happen. The local community college offers a truck driving, over the road kind of thing; I'm thinking about that.  G ...

TAA And Retraining
Jan 11, 2010

I called the contact number for TAA in Alabama this morning and was told that the petition is a New Jersey petition and therefore cannot be used by me.  Think I'm just gonna give up.  ...

Question About This TAA And Retraining Sm...
Oct 26, 2009

I saw the post below about the TAA and retraining and I have read the web site, etc. What I cannot really figure out is where I would go to find out if I qualify?   There is a petitition to fill out but it says you have to have 3 people and they all must work in the same office, so I am thinking that would not it our situation?  Someone said MQ was designated as a company where retraining would be available.  I also read on the web site that your state will contact you ...

Anyone Know What Medquist Job Retraining Ad Is About ....
Aug 20, 2010

nm ...

Retraining Through Unemployment?
Dec 12, 2012

Wondering if any long-term MTs are out there that have had problems since going to SR have gotten fired and qualified for retraining through unemployment?  In the 14 years I was a MT before SR my quality was never below 99%, always well above required lines.  I guess I just cannot read as well as I can type.  I have even seen my doctor, who says that since reading uses a different part of the brain than typing, it's possible that I have had ADD and was never bothered until th ...

What Is That Retraining Called When You Lose Your Job And Its Paid For
Jan 28, 2014

nm ...

MT Retraining Free Online College Courses
Sep 05, 2014

Here are a list of sites that offer free Massive Open Online Courses (MOOCs) college classes/coursework/tests online, some come with certificates of completion but you have to enroll by a deadline usually and once you do enroll you should treat it like a class you pay for.    coursera.com  Stanford,Yale edX.com openculture.com   Harvard and MIT  ocw.mit.edu  almost all of MITs course content is available online for free   Not all offer cer ...

Retraining Programs To Those Of Us Displaced By Work Going Off Shore
Oct 23, 2014

I know I have seen this in the past, but cannot remember what the resources were.  I consider myself displaced due to off-shoring of my work (which would cover most of us), but I cannot remember what this information was regarding getting retraining due to this situation.  Can anyone help?  Thanks so much. ...