A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

CPC review/prep book recommendations please - mt2coder

Posted: Jan 25, 2013

I am currently a coding student, but worked as a transcriptionist for 13+ years. I am getting an associates degree and plan to graduate in the spring next year. What review or exam prep books will help prepare me for the CPC exam? Thanks in advance

Information - Tilly

[ In Reply To ..]
I was told by one of the local chapter members for the AAPC that there are some great exam prep books on the AAPC web site. I just finished my coding course and will be getting those books very, very soon. Good luck! :)

Thanks - Mt2coder

[ In Reply To ..]
Thanks that info. I would love to hear about what book you get and if it helped prepare you for the exam. Good luck!

AAPC has a review book, AAPC has review classes - The test itself is the best review!

[ In Reply To ..]
AAPC has a review book and the local chapters usually offer reviews. An AAPC-certified instructor usually does them. They're usually worth the price.

However, you do get 1 free retake with the exam. Considering that, you should treat the exam as if it were a review. Just take it to see what happens. Don't spend a lot of time "reviewing" and "studying" for the exam.

Just register for the first sitting in your area and then review until then. When it's time to take the test, just take it.

If you pass, great! You've saved a lot of money! If you fail, you'll know exactly where you went wrong and what you need to review. You can develop a review plan based on that, then take the exam again at no extra charge within a year.

Seriously, a lot of students delay, delay, and delay for no good reason. They get stressed out thinking about how awful it is and how perfect they need to be.

That's a lot of extra work. Review books are handy, but so are your school books. If you're not using AAPC textbooks, well, get one when they're on sale. You have time. Go over that WITH your regular schoolwork. When you're ready, just give the exam a go and see what happens.

Most people pass it. They don't necessarily pass AHIMA exams the first time, but they do the AAPC. Not because it's "easier," but because it's on about half the material . . . it's confined to physician services coding.

Thanks! - Mt2coder

[ In Reply To ..]
Thank you for that info and encouragement because I do hear students stress and stress about the exam so much that they psych themselves of doing well in it. I'm taking your advice and getting the review book and working on it while I'm still in classes. Thanks a lot !

Similar Messages:

How To Pend A Report For Review When You Are On 100% Review
May 12, 2014

Help.  I know you send a report with no questions with Control N but forgot how to send reports for review. ...

Prep
Aug 27, 2010

When the doctor says "there was some liquid stool and prep left in the colon.." are you supposed to type it "preparation"?  ...

Best RMT/CMT Prep Course To Take Is....?
Sep 03, 2011

Hey everyone! I'm looking into taking an RMT prep course to prepare me for the RMT exam and then will be going for the CMT exam later on.  I took my MT training with Career Step, but they keep pushing the time frame on re-releasing their RMT prep course back later and later.  It was due to release this August and now it will be mid-fall. I got an e-mail from M-Tec the other day about a RMT prep course they have, which was priced well and seemed to take a reasonable amount of tim ...

RMT Prep Courses
Feb 22, 2010

I have a question regarding the different prep courses offered for the RMT exam. There is one offered through OAK Horizons and one offered through Career Steps. I am wondering if anyone has used them and found them to be helpful at all or a complete waist of money. I really want to earn my RMT status, but I graduated from my mt course a little over a year ago and think that I could really use a refresher course. Any thoughts about these would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance! ...

Hemorrhoid Prep ?
Jun 30, 2010

ESL doctor dictating a hemorrhoid preparation s/l anoate, NOaid, anuate, anuH.  Really lost on this one.  Have been looking for hours so any help is appreciated.   ...

Best Credentialing Prep Course?
Nov 15, 2011

My company is offering an incentive in pay if I get credentialized, so I am going to go for CMT.     My question to all of you is which course is the best to take?  I see that Career Step, M-Tec, and Omniscribe offer prep courses, but I don't want to waste time and money on these if they will not adequately prepare me for the exam.  ...

Sweat Prep Test?
Feb 21, 2010

Is this a test?  I've searched it and find very little - maybe hearing it wrong? ...

CMT Exam Test Prep
Nov 10, 2010

After being so tired of not being taken seriously and dealing with management shifts that don't know me from Jane, I really would like to take the CMT test.  I've been doing this for 13 years so not a newbie but honestly the test scares me.  I would like to take one of the prep course but don't really know which one to take.  I don't want to overdue if not needed and the prices for the courses vary by quite a bit.  AHDI has multiple classes listed but I� ...

Anyone Taken The Test And Used The CMT Prep Quizzes CDs?
Nov 30, 2010

Has anyone taken the test and used the CMT prep quizzes CDs?  Are they useful for the test? ...

Charge For Invoice Prep
Jan 01, 2011

I am an IC. Just told must invoice company I have been with for 5 years, with lines per day, cpl, etc. Do I charge for this and if so how much? Never had to do this before. ...

Help With ORIF Procedure Prep
Apr 11, 2012

Once the manipulation was completed, the tourniquet was placed around the upper thigh and the left lower extremity was prepped with s/l prellgo/perlgo and draped in a sterile fashion.    Thanks! ...

AAPC CPC Prep Course (4 Month)
Jul 30, 2012

Hi - Has anyone here taken the 4-month AAPC CPC Preparation course?  How did you do on the CPC Exam?  ...

Fluoroscopy Sterile Prep
Sep 17, 2013

Extremely strong Israeli accent performing cervical ESI using some type of solution for sterile prep and drape that sounds like chlorograt.  Any suggestions?? Am drawing a complete blank. ...

Chloraseptic Prep Stick?
Feb 20, 2014

Has anyone heard of chloraseptic prep stick for knee surgery. ...

Feedback On AAPC CPC Prep Course
Feb 08, 2015

I am asking that anyone who has taken this course to please give me your opinion about it. I am specifically wondering if it does truly prepare you to pass the CPC exam. Thank for your replies. ...

Fluid Aspirate - S/l Corahexadine Prep ??
Nov 10, 2009

x ...

Carol Buck Coding Prep Course
May 07, 2010

Is anyone familiar with all the Carol Buck books for coding certification training?  I'm attempting to go through her 2010 Step-By-Step Medical Coding book and workbook along with the online "course" through Elsevier that accompanies the text.  My plan is to finish this and then move on to her The Next Step Advanced coding book and workbook, and then go through her 2010 Online Internship.  Here is what the publisher says about the "internship."  Get the practice you nee ...

AHDI CMT Prep CD Bundle Question
Mar 17, 2011

I am thinking of buying the CMT Prep Quiz CD Bundle from AHDI. but, I want to make sure it is completely current with the third edition of the BOS. Has anyone bought these and what did you think? Where they helpful in taking the CMT exam? I notice there is an RMT Blueprint available, but sold out. So, wondering if I should just wait for the RMT and CMT Blueprints to come out??? Thanks for any info! ...

Prep Material For An Elbow Injection
Apr 12, 2012

After appropriate preoperative evaluation including informed consent, the patient's right elbow medial side was prepped with (    ).  Using a sterile technique, the solution of lidocaine, Sensorcaine, and dexamethasone was injected in and around his medial epicondyle as well as the flexor pronator muscle, flexor pronator muscle mass, and the brachialis tendon. The quality of my voice note is very bad and so I'll give you some sounds like options. Cordrop Clo ...

Your Recommendations, Please.
Jul 16, 2013

Can anyone recommend a good small company that will pay a decent line rate, not make me learn a new platform and treat me with respect?  Any help would be greatly appreciated. ...

Can Someone Plz Tell Me How To Write This? Vaginal Discharge Wet Prep DNA Obtained TIA
Mar 28, 2011

"Vaginal discharge wet prep DNA obtained"....I am not used to GYN stuff, so please help if you can....TIA! ...

Training Recommendations
Apr 11, 2011

I went to a seminar for At-Home Professions. The training course is about 5 months. I am trying to decide if I finish the courses, will there be employment opportunities?   ...

Headset Recommendations?-sm
Apr 12, 2011

I need a new headset for my PC.  I want want with really good sound -- but want don't want to spend lotsa $$  -- anyone got any suggestions for a good sound quality headset that is affordable..  thx.... ...

Recommendations For Headsets
Jan 29, 2012

Hi, Folks,   So, my company sweetly sent me a dictaphone stethascope-style headset, but it's really uncomfortable for me.  Can you recommend a more comfortable, good-sounding headset that you might have found?   Thank you, thank you, thank you!   ...

KVM Switch Recommendations?
Apr 23, 2012

I don't know too much about KVM switches, but I am getting ready to start two new jobs and have two different computers.  I thought I might try one. Today, my foot pedal for my second job came in and low and behold, it is the same one for my first job.   Do any of you know if there is a KVM that will switch keyboard, video, monitor, headphones, AND foot pedal, and can you recommend one to me.  I'm trying to research, but all this techie jargon makes my head hurt an ...

Chair Recommendations?
Oct 18, 2012

Can anybody recommend a good chair? I am petite, 5 feet 6 inches but small and need cushioning. I need a chair for an extended day (12-20 hours), preferrably without arms, which seem to get in my way. An affordable one not over $400 if possible and fabric, as it is always hot where I live. Thanks ...

Headset Recommendations
Jan 11, 2013

I need to get a new headset as mine is wearing out. I haven't ever bought a headset before and just used the ones that came with my transcribers as they worked fine on the computer as well. I tried the stethescope type and didn't like them but otherwise would like some thoughts on what might be good ones to try.  Thanks! ...

Expander Recommendations?
Jun 30, 2013

I'm looking for just a basic expander program that works similar to Word auto correct.  I've found two that seem to work very much like the one I'm used to, and similar to auto correct.  One is FastFox by NCH (affordable) and the other is Speed Type (expensive, but may be worth it??).  Does anyone use either of these?   Suggestions appreciated. Thanks!   ...

Recommendations For Keyboard
Feb 21, 2014

Any recommendations for a good keyboard? ...

Recommendations For Headphones?
Feb 23, 2014

For best audio quality?  TIA ...