A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

I made a total of $19,000 for 2011. Would anyone mind sharing what they made for the year. I am ju - Sandra

Posted: Jan 27, 2012

hopeful

what I made - not sure

[ In Reply To ..]
Have not gotten all my W2s yet, had 3 different jobs last year due to no work, and other reasons. But for 2010 my 90-yo mother who has been in a nursing home for 1-1/2 years, totally dependent on others, made more taxable income than I did, just based on the pension of my dad's that she got and her SS from her job back in her days. So in 2010 I did not make $20,000. So that just shows where our income is going.

I made... - mtlt

[ In Reply To ..]
I did not work from January through March and September through December, but I only made $2,000. Glad I no longer work for that company. Five months of working my butt off and then they tell me "breech of contract" when I did nothing. I found out later that they had fired everyone that had not been there for a full year and were telling everyone a similar story.

produced more, made less - bentfingers

[ In Reply To ..]
I am a 30-hour-per-week part-timer. I was one of the ones who had to increase my line count by 20 lph due to company changing the line count rules. I had the pay reduction for straight typing at the same time with the 30% reduction in ASR already in place. I increased my production to meet the company standards, so am producing more since June 2011. I made under 14,000 for 2011. I am so ashamed! I have been job hunting, but so far not one bite.

what I made - Changing

[ In Reply To ..]
I made just a few dollars shy of 43,000. Employee status, all the same company, at home.

Of that $3800 went to insurance (med/dental/vision) for one person.

$5800 was in production bonuses. $4500 was in OT.

So I was quite happy last year.

However, significant changes have gone into effect as of Jan 1 and I expect to make significantly less this year. At least 10,000 less.

A whopping $22,000, but worked a lot of OT. - Looking to get out of MT field. nm

[ In Reply To ..]
sigh.

What I made - Crazy Aces

[ In Reply To ..]
$27,000, down from $36,000 last year, down from $54,000 10 years ago. Color me blue.

okay - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
in the neighborhood of 28,000 but only averaged 30-35 hr a week. Still, pathetic for the skills and knowledge required.

I am curious if there is more money to make MT-editing? Maybe wages will go up as most MT work seems - bell

[ In Reply To ..]
?

Only had VR and made $12,000 in 9.5 months of work - nm

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

Editing - To bell

[ In Reply To ..]
I have not posted my name, as I know my company regularly reads the board. I am going to share with you what recently transpired for us, and I am sure other companies are doing it, as well. They are trying to eliminate as much, if not all, editors and force MTs to now take over that on top of all other job duties. Especially with full blown SR in some facilities, their reasoning was that MTs had to read over what editors did anyway, so why carry editors. This company has all but wiped out editors to reduce costs (but we sure don't get any increases for more work). The only ones that seem to benefit are the TLs or platform managers. I suspect that once they are through weeding out editors, they will start on TLs and platform managers next to start paring down their need and spread that responsibility to MTs, too. Not good news, I know, but we are going through the blood bath now and it is not a pretty sight.

LOL! READ this board. nm - LOL

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

$42,000, down from $57,000 year before. - was introduced to VR. nm

[ In Reply To ..]
x

I made $55,672.26, just got my W2. sm - HappyMT

[ In Reply To ..]
I have worked for the same company for 6 years, am not a manager but use a lot of expanders and have been on the same account for the last 4-1/2 years. I work 8 hours a day but did have $2200 in OT last year and $1600 in holiday pay. I work all that I can and feel very blessed when I read all the posts. The company I work for is bashed on here at times, and praised at other times, but they have been good to me and I am not on VR.

W2 - Dede

[ In Reply To ..]
I am a 30-year veteran MT. I was outsourced to MQ in 2002. Prior to then, I was making $50,000. Once outsourced to MQ, my pay was cut in half. Last year, I made $25,000. I just got my W2 for 2011, and even though I worked the same, if not more hours, including 22 hours every weekend, and working every holiday, I made only $15,000. I lost my home of 10 years. I am now applying for food stamps. This company is the pits.

45k from 3 jobs - NM

[ In Reply To ..]
all straight transcription

i made - happilytyping

[ In Reply To ..]
I made $52,500

Two jobs, about 40 hours a week total.

still luvin... - typing

[ In Reply To ..]
$51,000, two jobs, 40 hours, no weekends.

I made a little over $40,000 and worked 4 different jobs last year - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
That pay is down from the $50s from the year before. Had a cut in pay at the end of the year and starting this year out with less pay and more to do that I don't get paid for, like looking up names and plugging in fax numbers, a lot of crap not related to transcription that I have to do on the account I am on now that I do not get compensated for doing.

Here also - toomuch

[ In Reply To ..]
I enter name, ss#, date of injury, date of birth, doc's name, diagnosis, and location and don't get paid for that. Now they've taken away pay for headers also.

Sandra - Old Pro

[ In Reply To ..]
39K, part-time (6 hours a day, 5 days a week).

$58,193.82 - anon4this

[ In Reply To ..]
xxx

I make good money still, but I (sm) - Cara

[ In Reply To ..]
I made $64,851 but I doubt it will be that much next year as the group I work for is making changes in the coming months :(

I made..... - noname

[ In Reply To ..]
$55,394.31 - straight transcription - 40-50 hrs/week

$61,015.71 in 2010 50-60 hrs/week

Less than 15k here - nm

[ In Reply To ..]
f

$13,057.09 - Sickening

[ In Reply To ..]
And I work/sit waiting on work approx 12 hours a day.

Right about $14,000 part time - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
20 hours a week, but will probably be less next work because are now running out of work as a regular thing.

I'm so devastated - cbcmt

[ In Reply To ..]
I feel your pain! In 2009 I made close to 50,000. I was paid by characters .00168 (apxy 0.115 per line). In March 2011 I was told my pay would be cut because our company (with whom I have employed going on 15 years) had lost their biggest client because they were going to speech editting and our company was not equipped to handle the account. So, my boss invests in the technology to be competitive with other vendors bidding on the account, but they were only offering 0.05 a line! I was told when I switched to this speech recognition account that it was the way of the future and I should give up the account I had for years and learn this, but I could easily make the money I was making now... What a joke. In 2011, I barely made 17,000...and another added little bonus is that our new insurance policy effective in August now has a 10,000 deductible, whereas, we previously had a 2000 deductible. So, lose a lot of money, pay almost the same premium for the insurance (10.00 a week less??), and almost all my medical expenses come out of pocket! I went from BRINGING HOME 600-900 a week to bring home 200-400, and I HATE SPEECH RECOGNITION! Working much harder for much less. I have been a CMT for almost 30 years, have been a medical records transcription supervisor, very active in the former AAMT, and for what? No BOS standards followed, "edit to what is dictated," which usually does not make sense, and can never meet the goals expected (2000 lines a day). So, I wonder if Walmart needs greaters!

11,000 down from 52,000 regularly from 2005 and before. - brokeMT

[ In Reply To ..]
I am going back to school (does not interfere with transcribing, b/c of the work shortages MTing), so I get some money to live on in addition to the 11K. I tried to just go to school but went broke so I had to go back to MTing. Still have had to seek help from Salvation Army and others during the year because of sudden work shortages and in between student loan disbursements. :(.

Less than $28K. - NOTaHappyMT

[ In Reply To ..]
Straight typing, 40 hours a week.

I made around 29,000.00 - experiencedmt

[ In Reply To ..]
typing 40+ hours week. :( Pretty sad huh?

The first 6 months - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
of 2011 I worked for a MTSO and made 14,000 plus change. The 2nd 6 months I worked for the local hospital and made 35,167 (that included probabaly an average of 5 hrs/wk overtime).

$23,000 down $6000 from previous year. I made more 18 years ago. nm - help

[ In Reply To ..]
x

what I made - MJINATL

[ In Reply To ..]
Just now FINALLY got all W2's in and made a WHOPPING $18,832 for 2011....... Mind you this is 90% speech rec. Uggghhh. Will be getting out of this after 20 years - love it so, but this is ridiculous. My son made just $3000 less than me. This is insane!

Similar Messages:

If You Don't Mind Me Asking What Is The Most And Least That You've Made?
Jan 12, 2011

I've worked at a hospital doing transcription and getting an hourly wage, and I've also done transcription at home.  At-home was not a good experience for me.  I about went bankrupt, but the good thing is that I have more experience now.  I'm trying to decide whether to go back to a hospital and get an hourly pay or work from home again...  Thanks for any input!  I appreciate it!  ...

I've Made Up My Mind.
Dec 04, 2014

Eight years ago, I started school for medical transcription. I had grand dreams of being able to have a well-paying career while still staying home with my kids. After all, based on my husband's pay we could not afford for me to stay at home without bringing in an income and preferred to not have to pay for daycare for our 2 (now 3) kids. Now here I am, with my head in my hands, making exactly the same as I did when I landed my first MT job. This is the only profession I know of where you ...

Taxes - Got Back A Lot Less Than Last Year Yet Made The Same Amount
Feb 12, 2010

Well got taxes done and got back a lot less than last year yet made the same amount. Did they change something? This is so discouraging.  ...

Do You All Mind Sharing With Me How Much You Take Home
Jul 10, 2012

I was laid off last week from my in-house MT job.  I have an interview this week at Nuance.  I am wondering how much you all bring home in a 2-week period?  I've never worked production so I don't know what to expect.  And could you please tell me if you're part-time or full. Thanks! ...

If You Wouldn't Mind Sharing...
Oct 02, 2012

I have seen a few posts where someone mentions another job board.  I know we cannot post them here, but if you wouldn't mind emailing me I would appreciate it.  Seems like a google search is like a wild goose chase with schools and such and I just want a few real job boards to watch. Thank you so much in advance. ...

Would Anyone Mind Sharing How Much They Bring Home Weekly?
Mar 25, 2010

Not trying to be nosey, just curious. ...

Skipping The Year 2011
Dec 07, 2010

Apparently this doctor thinks that the new year coming up is 2012.  He has dictated in two separate reports that these patients have procedures scheduled for January 2012 and they are in for their preoperative evaluation now.  Either that or these patients are getting their preoperative evaluation more than a year in advance.  I wish doctors/dictators could be reprimaned for their mistakes.  ...

I Can See Now How Some MTs Have It Made. Sm
Apr 10, 2010

Well, I don't know if the pool our area was sent because of NJA is affecting that regions MTs, but I for one want to say thank you God for sending me some absolutely marvelous, clear and concise easy dictation!!!! Yes Virginia, there is an Easter bunny... (oh, I believe that is Santa Claus). Now I can see why some MTs on here never complain. All MT work, no ASR so far. I am in heaven. Too bad it won't last long, even though my regular primary was not that bad, I just never re ...

Someone Made
Oct 13, 2012

comment about only unions being able to organize a strike.  That just leaves everybody else powerless and without resource?  No. Leave, call in sick, take all day to do one report, send jobs through without editing, walk off, stop work.  Plan ahead for you next job, and that's a smart thing to do, obviously.  In the meantime, walk off anyways. Massive oppression requires massive action. Being ignored requires we do something loud to be heard. They have already hit us ...

To: I Made It Out.
Dec 12, 2014

Talk about kismet. I just happened to pop in for a minute and saw your post. I copied it and emailed it to myself. I then took your advice and did a search in my city. I have about 8 great-sounding possibilities to explore this weekend. Thank you so much. ...

ASR Lets Get Some Changes Made!
Mar 12, 2010

I just really want to encourage all of you to make note of things ASR is doing wrong and sending the info in either to support@ or to your CCM.  I have been sending things in and actually getting some changes made here and there.  If we all did it maybe we could help ourselves out at least a little bit. I'm talking about things like you have been correcting text forever and ASR still is not getting it, like on docs who say the same exact same thing every time and it still comes o ...

I Made A Mistake
May 18, 2010

I just got called by "the boss" about a mistake I made yesterday.  I feel horrible.  I am glad they called.  It was a good heads up for me.  They down played it but still I am feeling upset.  I know it will pass but it's made for a tough morning.  Kinda shakes my confidence.  Thanks for listening. ...

No $ To Be Made As An MT Anymore
Sep 03, 2010

Just thinking out load, so please bear with me.  I took the summer off to evaluate how I feel about restarting back to work into the MT field.  I have many bitter-sweet feelings.  Over 24 years ago I started in the MT industry and have done this working out of my home.  I have raised my kids basically alone working a job that I absolutely thrived and loved doing.  Now, it doesn't even pay us minimum wage for our Years of knowlege and skill sets we ha ...

Is This A Made-up Word?
Sep 22, 2010

I'm doing a hot nodes dissection, and the doc is using a word that sounds like MODERIFY.  Here's the sentence: Dr. Patterson performed specimen ____| QA MARKER: 358 |____ count, and this demonstrated the biopsy clip in the mass to be squarely centered within the biopsy specimen.   "The radiologist performed specimen _______ count, and this demonstrated the biopsy clip in the mass to be squarely centered within the biopsy specimen."   By the way, he has a delightful ...

Apparently I Am 100% ASR Now. I Made
Dec 07, 2010

$30 less today than when it has been mixed straight and ASR typing and it has been the longest day of my life.  I have eaten more, got up more.  I cannot sit still.  If this is supposed to be "easier" on us than typing, they are full of hooey.  ...

New Word To Me Or Something Doc Made Up?
Feb 12, 2011

This may need further evaluation of the gastric outlet tract by endoscopic assisted s/l "contrast-a-tee". ...

Already Depressed And The Q Just Made My Day. NOT
Jul 11, 2011

I cannot take much more.  Those of you who don't have any compassion or feel the need to ever vent and just unload once in a while may stop reading now. I'm not writing to be bashed, stomped on, mashed, or otherwise abused and used more than the Q already does.  I catch this crap from them every day, I don't need to hear it from fellow MTs. We are all in this same rocking, sinking, Titanic together.  To make a very long story short here's the abbreviated vers ...

Best Made Up ASR Heading I Have Seen
May 05, 2013

Dictated problem list: Transcribed problem ...

Well, I Made About $25 Today
Aug 26, 2013

This is working for an MTSO who only hires full-time employees, but yet again NJA most of the day today. We do not have to punch a time clock, but is this really legal? This company may "route" you jobs at any time of day and they require you to be "available" from 7 AM to 5 PM, whether there is work or not. If the work is routed to you though, you best be there (available) to do the work or else you get the nasty grams from the owner. Again, IS THIS LEGAL? ...

What If We Made A Stand From Our Own
Dec 29, 2013

And made a pact to F-11 every report that had say 5 ASR errors? Ha ha I can dream can't I? Never get everyone on board, but that would drive home our point. ...

I Only Made A 92. I Am So Disappointed!!!
Mar 13, 2014

I guess.  Good luck everyone!! ...

Made Me Smile
Mar 16, 2014

I was looking at a website about home transcription. A stock photo showed a woman sitting at her laptop.  I guess to make the point she worked from home, two young girls was standing at her shoulder looking at her laptop screen.  It just made me laugh, thinking about all the assurances of our eyes only on medical information we have to make.   ...

I Made A Big Mistake
Nov 25, 2014

I'm trying to get my old job back. ...

Changes Made To ASR Not Saving
Mar 01, 2015

Aside from erasing the ASR text and typing the entire report myself, how can I know that the system is saving my changes? I am absolutely certain that changes I made are not being saved, and thus showing up as errors on QA reports. Some of which I am absolutely 100% certain I corrected the text, but alas the corrections are not saving. So, once again, I am completely off the grid. Perhaps I should do a Control-J on enterprise to check the text? Should I do Control-S to save and then do contro ...

You Made Me Like This Nuance
Apr 11, 2015

When I am about to send a report and it has just one blank over the allowed, I will attempt a trick I call "close it in" where I will try and find two blanks close to each other, blank out everything in between (so long as it's less than one line) and turn those 2 blanks into 1 blank, thus preventing me from having to send to QC.  Now, I will only do this if I feel I am coming close to my more than 10% submission.  If I'm not, of course I won't do this.  But I am NO ...

Someone Below Made The Statement To End All Statements
Jan 20, 2010

Do you agree with this?  'A reality check for you would be to see your job for what it is. You are a typist, transcriptionist or what used to be known as a STENO POOL worker.' And:  'It's not that difficult a job to learn to do.' Or do you see yourself as a skilled professional called on to make life and death decisions of your own when typing medical records (ex:  Did the mumbling ESL dictator mean '4 mg' of nitroglycerin as dictated and spa ...

Question Regarding Changes Made To ADT Screen
Jun 16, 2010

Okay, so they accused me of changing the dictators name on the ADT screen to an incorrect name... which I might add once again, I did not do.  I document every change I make and the only thing I changed was the WT... to the correct WT I might add because it had  been entered incorrectly!  If, in fact, I had changed the dictator's name, however, would it not have shown up on the ADT portion of the report when I went back into DocQmanage and checked&nbs ...

I Finally Had To Do It: I Made A Shortcut Key For
Dec 29, 2010

the phrase, " it was not covered by insurance", which is dictated constantly. What a sad state of American healthcare.   I'm sure the doctors are just as sick of insurance non-coverage of medical treatments as the poor patients are! ...

Can An IC Be Made To Work A Schedule?
Apr 22, 2011

Not namimg names here, but I see an ad for an IC and they are asking for full coverage from Wed-Sun 3p-11p -- all this for 8500 lines per month.  Can they legally ask an IC to do that? ...

Glad KS Made Payroll - However...
Sep 02, 2011

Some KSMTs posted they got paid today, some got paid on the 1st. This tells me this was not an issue with late line counts or the payroll guru asking them to kindly roll payroll ahead a few days. Truth has to be they do not have the money available to make payroll and had to pick and choose who to pay based on the money available. Those who asked for hardship case or who they did not want to risk losing got paid. Those they thought could be strung along for 2 more days were not paid un ...