A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Sharing Thoughts - Texas MT

Posted: Jan 27, 2014

I check MT Stars frequently just to see what people are saying.  I'm a QA person.  I'm at the tail end of my career (38 years) and I must admit, I'm fairly happy with Nuance.  I have a great boss and thankful that I can work from home, get fairly decent health insurance and have working hours that fit my lifestyle.  I HAVE taken a drastic cut in pay which is a bit disheartening.  The "Good Old Days" are long gone.  I'm very thankful for my employment.   Anyway, remember a while back about QA getting a bonus for finding more errors while doing QA on MT's reports.  It never came to pass.  You want to know why?  I was told the reason was that QA people would take a cut in their hourly rate and make up the difference by finding errors.   Needless to say, I'm very pleased it never happened.  That was a lousy idea.   I'd like share something else.  We've been instructed to just fix the petty stuff in reports, instead of dinging for every little minor error.  We can focus on the major stuff and help/encourage MTs.  I know QA people are not very popular.  I can't speak for everyone in QA but I just wanted to share my thoughts.  I wish nothing for the best for everyone on this board.  There are a lot of MTs struggling.  If I was just starting in this business, I know I would not be very happy.  I was happy many years ago though.  I loved transcribing and I still do.  It is the only job I've ever had.   Hang in there my fellow MTs.  (Forgive my grammar in this post.  I'm off the clock and I tend to type my thoughts like I am speaking them)

Thanks for your input - new but old

[ In Reply To ..]
I know there are lots of "good" QA people out there and luckily I am able to get some of them. It is the other ones who give it a bad name unfortunately. I have no problem with someone showing me my errors and constructive criticism, it is the ones who leave the snide comments and make me feel like I am an idiot that upset me.

I've definitely noticed - a difference

[ In Reply To ..]
It was really frustrating there for a while to have blanks you'd submitted in good faith be ruled "valid" or, presumably, "invalid" (if the blank was able to be resolved), though sometimes their "guess" was no better than mine might have been. Definitely better now. Thanks!

Can I ask when that particular directive - came through?

[ In Reply To ..]
Because it sure seemed to me like QA was out for blood right before the new year, and I'm pretty sure I was not the only one.

I'm glad they told you to stop trying to get every little minor error now, but unfortunately I got the lovely Christmas present of no bonus for 3 months, so am I right to imagine this instruction happened in the new year?

I have to say I don't trust that in 3 months they won't go back to trying to take off and keep off the bonuses for MTs, just before the quarter ends again, but thanks for letting us know this. I'm glad they took that bonus idea off the table, at least for now.

I think if all the QAs were like you that would be the way it should be. I still say it is not really a bonus but a financial punishment, since our pay has been cut so much anyway.

Can I ask if QA people get financially penalized if they don't come up to scratch? Someone else had said there are some quotas and you guys get QA'd too. I hope, for your sake, you don't get money taken off you like we do if you make a few mistakes because it really is horrible.

Directive - Texas MT

[ In Reply To ..]
Our team just found out about the directive about 2 weeks ago. Yes, we are audited and have to meet a certain quota. I think it is only fair. We need to be held accountable for our work as well. I don't mind. I'm always learning and sometimes need refreshers. Yes, it is a blow to the old self-esteem when we miss something. Our boss put it like this, we get the worst of the worst. It's not easy sometimes. As far as the bonuses go? I would like to think that bonuses are not held from MTs on purpose. I don't know, maybe I'm incorrect on that one. Who knows? I have never been financially penalized for not coming up to scratch. I agree with you, it is horrible to have income taken away. I just think that is the norm these days. Gosh... I sound so "old school".... perhaps I am. I just try to roll with the punches and keep a positive outlook. If I didn't, I'd go crazy. No job is worth going crazy over!

My issue with the bonuses is - they are a negative not a positive

[ In Reply To ..]
There is a thread down a bit (linked) where a bunch of those who got the QA quarterly bonus (where you need to get over 99.5% or something like that) and they are commiserating about how financially bereft they are. So basically it is something they are relying on incredibly or they can't pay their rent kind of thing.

I can see if Nuance paid a fair living wage and THEN offered goodies in terms of perfection, but this is nothing of the sort. They pay so poorly that you live in fear of the "bonus" getting taken away because you can then NOT AFFORD to live!

So my objection is that the bonuses exist at all, since they are not truly bonuses - they would only be that if you could make enough working 40 hours a week normally without the bonus, which is really not the case for most of us. It is a truly demoralizing and nasty form of un-compensating someone, also something NONE of us agreed to when our companies were swallowed up by Nuance.

So if you do guys don't get any money taken off you when you make a mistake, consider how hard that would be (for anyone!) and while you seem the soul of kindness, I wish all QAs would have a heart sometimes and unless it truly is a huge mistake, maybe think about depriving someone of a good chunk of change for 3 months before you give them a 3 point error.

You may get audited, but you don't get docked, right? We are the only ones singled out for that.
Fair Living Wage - Texas MT
[ In Reply To ..]
I hear your frustration. I have my own frustration as well. My hourly wage today is less than what I was making in 1985. I do not want to sound insensitive to your concern but we ALL have been singled out, in one way or another, in the transcription field. Like I said, the "good old days" are long gone. I just try to think of the positives that come with my job. I'm thankful that my lifestyle doesn't require me to make as much as I did in 1985 but it sure would be nice if I did.

EXCEPT this has nothing to do with QA but - QC

[ In Reply To ..]
All this pertains to QC not QA. So has no impact on MT bonus. QA is still the same.

I find this QA/QC thing confusing - the post-audit FIESA

[ In Reply To ..]
Is the one that counts, right? So is that QC or QA?

I thought QC were the ones that don't count because they were the ones hired to get the bonuses and were overzealously marking every little thing off initially, and we were told it was "just for training" and to ignore it.

Yeah, right. Kind of hard to be picked apart no matter if it has no effect on bonuses. Even worse that if they are being "trained" we still need to fight the nasty corrections/comments they make and have the rise in stress and blood pressure that goes along with it.

So can you decipher for me? The post-audit FIESAs are done by QC or QA? They are the only ones that count and they are the ones that seem to go through all your work to find the 1-3 point errors whereby you missed one number in some obscure lab result and that gets your bonus off you.

I always thought QA were who did that, but it is QC?

Similar Messages:

JUST SHARING
Aug 05, 2010

Well, I didn't want to totally quit being an MT, just in case things changed and some wonderful job pops up someday.  So, I found a day job, not MT, but data entry for a car repossession service.  It pays only $10 per hour, but it is a guaranteed 40 hours per week and offers some employee benefits such as health insurance and PTO.  No, I don't like what they are doing, but it is legal and it IS a job.  I used to turn down jobs based on principle, but I was the ...

Sharing At Tip...
Jun 17, 2015

I just wanted to share something that I discovered that works well for me. Aside from my typing skills, I am also a graphic artist.  I love to draw and do drawings on my computer.  For this, I use a TracBall-style mouse.  It is a stationary mouse that has the ball on the top.  It is used for precision when working with graphics.   While it definitely takes some time to get used to, it has also proven to be a great way to speed up pointing and clicking in my working wit ...

Do You All Mind Sharing With Me How Much You Take Home
Jul 10, 2012

I was laid off last week from my in-house MT job.  I have an interview this week at Nuance.  I am wondering how much you all bring home in a 2-week period?  I've never worked production so I don't know what to expect.  And could you please tell me if you're part-time or full. Thanks! ...

If You Wouldn't Mind Sharing...
Oct 02, 2012

I have seen a few posts where someone mentions another job board.  I know we cannot post them here, but if you wouldn't mind emailing me I would appreciate it.  Seems like a google search is like a wild goose chase with schools and such and I just want a few real job boards to watch. Thank you so much in advance. ...

Companies That Provide 401Ks And Profit-sharing:
Oct 20, 2009

There's just ONE, eensy-weensy little problem with MT companies providing their employees with a 401K as one of their benefits: What person on a measly MT's earnings can afford to put anything into it?????  I can't spare even a dollar at the end of each pay period, and haven't been able to put anything into even a savings account for years.  Did it ever occur to them that a retirement account is USELESS if you don't pay your employees enough to fund it? ...

Would Anyone Mind Sharing How Much They Bring Home Weekly?
Mar 25, 2010

Not trying to be nosey, just curious. ...

Sharing Patient Records Is Still A Digital Dilemma For Doctors
Mar 06, 2015

link below ...

Very Nice, Very Secure, & FREE File-synching & -sharing Website
Aug 30, 2010

This is outstanding.  Now I don't have to keep e-mailing myself stuff.  I can imagine all kinds of MT-related applications. First 2 GB free but you can pay for more. https://www.dropbox.com/referrals/NTEwNjg1NzkwOQ ...

I Made A Total Of $19,000 For 2011. Would Anyone Mind Sharing What They Made For The Year. I Am Ju
Jan 27, 2012

hopeful ...

Getting A 2nd MT Job - Thoughts?
Mar 25, 2010

I graduated from school last year and have worked as an IC with a company for 3 months.  I was told I'd be the sole MT on one small Ortho account, but now I know I was lied to.  Other MTs grab everything out of the queue and I'm lucky if I make $23/day, many days I get 0 jobs.  The office manager is so clueless that she is entirely unhelpful, and after several attempts I've given up trying to get the work I was promised when hired. I need the money so I can't ...

Any Thoughts?
Sep 09, 2010

I have been researching all the online MT Courses and have decided that the 2 I seem to think are the most reputable are TRSInstitute and Career Step. Any input from anyone on any schools? Or should I even be considering this field right now? I have read alot of discouraging posts. TRSI includes Speech recognition in its course, unlike alot of the other shcools. Thanks! ...

What Are Your Thoughts On
Oct 28, 2010

One of the posts below mentioned something happening in the next two months or by the end of the year (can't find the post now).  Also, I recall some administrative e-mail alluding to the same, the e-mail about how CBay is poised to take over more Medquist assets.  Is something going to happen to us that we should know about? ...

What Are Your Thoughts On This?
Apr 27, 2011

I think that when we edit an ASR document, we should be compensated at our transcription rate for every keystroke we do to make the report ready for the client.  Since Medquist is so accurately able to calculate our keystrokes, mouse clicks and so on, it should be easy for them to determine how many extra keystrokes were required to prepare the final report.  ...

Some Thoughts For Those Considering MT
May 01, 2011

Several people have asked me if I think MT is still a viable career.  Coincidentally, today as I was cleaning out some files, I found notes from a seminar I gave and thought I would summarize a few of the thoughts, hoping they might be of value to someone out there.  (Moderator, if you don't feel this is appropriate, please just delete the post.)  First, there are three "myths" to consider:  1.  The myth that medical transcription is easy money.  Many of the no ...

Any Thoughts On MD-IT
Jun 09, 2011

Anyone have experience with MD-IT? TIA. ...

What Are MTs Thoughts On This? Sm
Sep 10, 2011

If Obama's job act goes through and employers are rewarded for hiring the unemployed, do you think that will make a difference to the companies that off shore and cause the hiring of more US MTs? ...

DQS 7.1, Need Some Serious Thoughts
Oct 22, 2012

On DQS 7.1 I keep hearing how the SR is so much better.  What the heck?  I haven't a clue why anyone thinks this, but I have a trusted friend who agrees her SR has improved dramatically.  My accounts have dropped dramatically in the SR, which leads me to believe that this is potentially due to something my CCM might not have done correctly with our accounts.  We've never had gender discrepancy noted, although this is supposed to happen.  We've never had cl ...

Thoughts On The
Jun 03, 2013

Why not just make it 100% and  get it over with? I guess they figure it's kind of like killing frogs in boiling water.   ...

Any Thoughts
Dec 04, 2013

I typed as doctor dictated, ". . . pee off . . . " Audit dinged me and changed to, "urinated off." What should have been done?  I thought we were not to change what they said. ...

Some Thoughts On
May 20, 2014

Today I was just wondering if the honorees of other appreciation weeks (nurses, lab techs, housekeepers, basically every health-care subgroup) were required to participate in puzzles, games, essays, and otherwise jump through hoops, to get "prizes",  usually a trinket or a low denomination gift card? Maybe I'm just sensitive because I've been doing this long enough to remember when gifts, festive meals, respect and  all-year-long good pay (the best gift of all) were freely gi ...

Thoughts, Anyone?
Jun 21, 2014

Any Thoughts On This...
Jun 28, 2014

Do you guys think the minimum line count will be going up soon? Some states have raised their minimum wage. Trying to figure out how some of us would be able to hold on if it were to go up any higher than 150/hr. Barely able to meet that as it is. Just don't think makeup pay is something they're very happy about having to provide either. So wondering if this will be the end of the line for those of us not meeting production, though not for lack of hard effort. ...

Thoughts On VR-
Jul 06, 2014

of fixing report after report.  VR was sold with fradulant representation. The way this has continued is the MT is to "fix" these reports to the facilities specs and regardless of what comes over, the end report is to be correct.  Therefore, we are made to be our own worst enemy.  I have been saving reports before/after for quite some time and keeping stats on how many incorrect VR words I have to correct, how much formatting I have to do per the specs of the facility, t ...

My Thoughts
Dec 04, 2014

Why don't they just pay the MTs a decent wage instead of paying all the extra QA people for all the extra audits? This is a convoluted mess - transparent to who? Einstein? They need a standard blank submission policy. It is not fair to MLS like me who are not allowed to send any blanks versus those who can send up to 3 directly to the client. My pay will be dramatically impacted. Where is the difficulty factor? They have lied yet again. They really shot themselves in the ...

Softscript: Any Thoughts? NM
Apr 23, 2010

Just wondering. ...

Funny Thoughts
Aug 08, 2010

We have so much American work outsourced to India - India should be our 51st state! ...

Anyone Used M-Modal And Your Thoughts...
Aug 19, 2010

Would like any thoughts on this ... seems strange... ...

Some Thoughts On The S Markers
Sep 16, 2010

I was wondering why in the new 6.1 version, it takes more words to get an automatic S marker inserter (highlighting words then using the delete button).  I used to have to count the words and if 5 or more, used to place the S marker.  I wonder why now the difference.  Do you think the Q keeps track of how many S markers are generally given in our documents as their ASR system is developed, and now wants to give themselves another pat on the back, exclaiming how their stellar ASR s ...

My Thoughts And Ramblings...
Oct 09, 2010

Just the ramblings and observations of me.. The national I worked for the longest was MDI-MD and it truly was the best compared to everything else I had experienced as far as national companies.  The thing they did best was 1) pay the MT premium pay.  2) Offer bonus incentives that were obtainable frequently if the account was out of TAT which really made the pay nice. And 3) and probably most importantly figured out that for an MT to be productive and successful they needed to NOT be ...

Bayscribe ASR - Your Thoughts Please
Jan 26, 2011

What are your feelings about Bayscribe's automated speech recognition program? We have been using it now for 2 or 3 months..personally I think it sucks ... ...