A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

JUST SHARING - MT

Posted: Aug 05, 2010

Well, I didn't want to totally quit being an MT, just in case things changed and some wonderful job pops up someday.  So, I found a day job, not MT, but data entry for a car repossession service.  It pays only $10 per hour, but it is a guaranteed 40 hours per week and offers some employee benefits such as health insurance and PTO.  No, I don't like what they are doing, but it is legal and it IS a job.  I used to turn down jobs based on principle, but I was the only one who lost out.

Anyway, I now do MT work only part-time in the evenings.  Most of the time when I log on, there is so little work available that I can take a lot of breaks and get other things done.  I did tell my supervisor that when my queue is totally empty for longer than 10 minutes, I will be gone for the remainder of the evening, and believe it or not, that plan seems to be acceptable to him.   I actually look forward to those times when I can quit early due to no jobs available, and I feel so much better knowing that I no longer have to depend on the MT job for basic living expenses.  However, I am still keeping current with MT experience and that extra $75 or so per week helps a little.

I once thought that MT would be my full-time career.  Now that I have changed my plan, I am so much happier.

MT as source of - extra cash

[ In Reply To ..]
You are right, MT is great as a PRN "extra" job. Last night, I made $20 in less than 2 hours working for-- okay, will not say that name again. I hate them as a full-time employer, but maybe will learn to love them as a source of extra income! It's all a question of perspective. Now I am putting my head up to the screen to try to absorb some of your go-with-the-flow-ness, LOL!

If MT is "extra cash", what do you do as your - main source of income? (nm)

[ In Reply To ..]

Just Sharing - Me 2

[ In Reply To ..]
I emphathize with you. I sort of did the same thing. I finally had to quit Spheris, only to go to Medquist and had to quit there and move on. I took an IC position against my wishes, but got a taste of what that is like and you do have a few more options, but that company fell through and so I started looking again! I found a service that does clinic notes! YAY, no voice, no ESLs, etc., and I took it. Now I found another company locally and I am doing an office account and I am the only MT on it. It is like I work in the doctor's office, but I am at home. I looked for other positions and decided to give this one more try and I think it will be okay. I don't feel the pressure or the fear of NJA. I am with you, give myself a break. I will work weekends, so if there is work on Friday, I can do it then. Monday through Friday schedule, no late nights, no hassels, just good ole medical transcription. Type it, send it and you're done. No QA Nazi's either. So I applaud you for making the change and seeing what else is out there. I am semi retired, so I cannot take on full time work and they don't want you anyway, cuz you are older, so I am still trying to make this work. I pray every day that it will, because it has been years since I have felt even remotely positive about my line of work!

Just Sharing - MT Mom of 2

[ In Reply To ..]
I am looking for something part time as well just as a supplement income. My full time job is wonderful, but just desire a little "extra." Can you give any advice on a small clinic account, or private doctor account with a small company that may have an MT or ME position? Thanks for sharing!

Your question - MT

[ In Reply To ..]
I don't know of a small clinic or private doctor account. The place that I work is a national MTSO, but lacking in work volume, and this has gone on for longer than 3 months. I am scheduled for 20 hours per week during the evenings. If they have the work, fine. If not, I have time to do other things. Working part-time, I never had any benefits with them, and I am not penalized if they don't have work. At any rate, I no longer depend on that part-time job for my livelihood.

Something that I have thought about doing in the past, but have never done it, was learning how to utilize FTP with Express Scribe or purchasing and learning one of the software programs that would allow me to securely transmit files back and forth to clients. In the meantime, I did local research and found that just about every clinic or doctor's office in my area is connected to the hospital's system, or uses the point-and-click system that requires no MTs.

If you could find a local account in your area, that would be great; however, in the current day and time, that might not be possible.

I'm sorry that I could not be of more help.

Age - MT

[ In Reply To ..]
Well, I've not really had a problem getting jobs as an MT, or even this new job in data entry, and I'm over 55. But, maybe they just don't know my age whenever I apply. I never provide date of birth or year of graduation from high school or college, though. With the MT jobs, I never came right out and told them my age, but my years of experience are less than 10.

I'm not sure what it would be like if I were applying for a long-term career in some professional capacity or something like that, but age did not seem to be a factor for me with getting the current in-house data entry job. Again, it only pays $10/hour; it's not a big deal, but it's more secure than what I was getting with MT work.

Just a comment - nan

[ In Reply To ..]
On your new job in the car repossession service. You should not be ashamed of doing it. Personally, it is more illegal for the people that don't make their payments and their cars have to be repossessed.

I think Id like being in repo. "Legal theft"! - What could possibly be more fun? ;D

[ In Reply To ..]

A laugh - MT

[ In Reply To ..]
I think you're right. I think it could be fun..LOL. However, I'm totally chicken to be the actual repo person, as I am afraid that I would be attacked or killed by the one who was losing the vehicle. I'm grateful to be able to just sit in the office and type. This data entry position isn't all peaches, as the manager is a little gruff, but I'm used to working for gruff doctors, so he doesn't really bother me that much. Yesterday, he asked me how I was doing, so I came out with it and nicely let him know that I could respect him more if he were more polite, and that I did not appreciate rudeness on his part. He apologized and said that he was not aware of how his behavior was coming across. Can you imagine? Boy, did it feel good to be able to talk with him directly, as compared to the stuff I have to just tolerate from rude dictators on my little part-time job at home.

Thanks to all that understand. See, we can use the pros and cons of this industry to our advantage, take what works for us and leave the rest behind!

Thank you - MT

[ In Reply To ..]
Thank you for saying that. I do feel sorry for those people who have their vehicles repossessed, though, because I know that I could be one of them. Hard financial times can fall on anyone, through no fault of their own. Working for the repo man has made me think of planning ahead for my next car purchase, hopefully a cheap, but good used one.

Similar Messages:

Sharing At Tip...
Jun 17, 2015

I just wanted to share something that I discovered that works well for me. Aside from my typing skills, I am also a graphic artist.  I love to draw and do drawings on my computer.  For this, I use a TracBall-style mouse.  It is a stationary mouse that has the ball on the top.  It is used for precision when working with graphics.   While it definitely takes some time to get used to, it has also proven to be a great way to speed up pointing and clicking in my working wit ...

Sharing Thoughts
Jan 27, 2014

I check MT Stars frequently just to see what people are saying.  I'm a QA person.  I'm at the tail end of my career (38 years) and I must admit, I'm fairly happy with Nuance.  I have a great boss and thankful that I can work from home, get fairly decent health insurance and have working hours that fit my lifestyle.  I HAVE taken a drastic cut in pay which is a bit disheartening.  The "Good Old Days" are long gone.  I'm very thankful for ...

Do You All Mind Sharing With Me How Much You Take Home
Jul 10, 2012

I was laid off last week from my in-house MT job.  I have an interview this week at Nuance.  I am wondering how much you all bring home in a 2-week period?  I've never worked production so I don't know what to expect.  And could you please tell me if you're part-time or full. Thanks! ...

If You Wouldn't Mind Sharing...
Oct 02, 2012

I have seen a few posts where someone mentions another job board.  I know we cannot post them here, but if you wouldn't mind emailing me I would appreciate it.  Seems like a google search is like a wild goose chase with schools and such and I just want a few real job boards to watch. Thank you so much in advance. ...

Companies That Provide 401Ks And Profit-sharing:
Oct 20, 2009

There's just ONE, eensy-weensy little problem with MT companies providing their employees with a 401K as one of their benefits: What person on a measly MT's earnings can afford to put anything into it?????  I can't spare even a dollar at the end of each pay period, and haven't been able to put anything into even a savings account for years.  Did it ever occur to them that a retirement account is USELESS if you don't pay your employees enough to fund it? ...

Would Anyone Mind Sharing How Much They Bring Home Weekly?
Mar 25, 2010

Not trying to be nosey, just curious. ...

Sharing Patient Records Is Still A Digital Dilemma For Doctors
Mar 06, 2015

link below ...

Very Nice, Very Secure, & FREE File-synching & -sharing Website
Aug 30, 2010

This is outstanding.  Now I don't have to keep e-mailing myself stuff.  I can imagine all kinds of MT-related applications. First 2 GB free but you can pay for more. https://www.dropbox.com/referrals/NTEwNjg1NzkwOQ ...

I Made A Total Of $19,000 For 2011. Would Anyone Mind Sharing What They Made For The Year. I Am Ju
Jan 27, 2012

hopeful ...