A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Unsure of what to do next...needing kind advice. - MT24

Posted: Apr 18, 2012

Hi.  I wanted to post this here because I need to get some feedback to my situation. I have been an MT over 20 years.  About 2 years ago, I went through a divorce and became self-supporting.  It took me until now to get a full-time job editing where I have enough work to keep me without NJA.  The last 1-1/2 years I saw such poverty, I lost my car, my home and got lots of help from Salvation Army while working 2 MT jobs which barely kept me alive.  I worked for one company which is mentioned here from time to time and I kept running out of work, the other was an IC job where I could never earn enough because it was an account where no one spoke English at all and I could not get the line counts up.

Long story short, I sold myself to one of the big companies on here.  I am now doing ASR at 4 cpl and am frightened of losing what I now have... again... I work very very hard to produce but can't even get to the 2K lines a day I need to make 400.00 a week.  My son is afraid I will lose everything again and get burnt out if I don't give up this business completely.

I did try to get out of this 6 months ago, but no one paid an hourly I could live on at the stores by me.  I still do not have a car.  As well, the office jobs all wanted me to know Spanish and English.  I do not know what to do.

I am hoping my son is not right when he says that I will get sick and stressed over this 4cpl that I will go broke again.  He did not mean it in a cruel way. He said he just wants his mother to be able to have a good income and he does not like to see me go through this.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts. 

MT24, you do what you have to do. - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
You say you are having trouble finding a job close to you, made more difficult by not having a car. You do not have to give up. Just keep your eyes and ears open continuously for positions near you if you want to get out of this business.

Again, you have an MT job. I would not care for the 4 cpl either, but you do what you have to do until something better comes along. Keep working, earning as much as you can. At the same time, check the job boards at least weekly, looking for a position you my be better suited for and where you can make more money. It is a long process these days, especially for MTs, so don't give up your position until you find something better.

You say you have been doing this 20 years. I don't know if what area of speciality, radiology, or acute care. I also do not know how old you are. I am of the age that I simply can not find a job in my rural town. For every position post, over 50 people apply. My age, and probably lack of a BS degree probably rules me out early. I am in my 50s, too young to retire, and too old to start over - Golden Handcuffs as they say. It is hard for us. I have not given up looking for a position outside of MT, I just don't count on it anymore (6 years looking, very small town). If I have to stay in MT, I am making good money at the moment, over $40,000/year, so I will stick where I am until I am forced to do something different.

Point being, try to make sure the grass is greener on the other side before you go grazing.

Good luck.

Thanks so much for your words of advice - MT24

[ In Reply To ..]
Thanks for your well-grounded advice. I have been in this in acute care and am level 3 tier. I just turned 50. I have been going to graduate school on line for another field but won't graduate for 3 more years since I work and go to school. Thanks again for your words of advice, I will remember then and appreciate your kindness.

MT24, In Your Situation, It's Hard - My Thoughts

[ In Reply To ..]
First, let me say I am so sorry for the situation in which you have found yourself. I have been in your shoes, and I know it is not a good place to be. However, please know that escaping from what currently feels like a vicious cycle is NOT impossible. It is hard but not impossible.

I agree with the other poster - keeping your eyes open and applying for anything and everything that looks promising will bring about a job when you least expect it. In the middle of my situation, I was applying to anything I found, and sometimes I applied to the same job 2 and 3 times, hoping they'd find my resume at the top of the pile that day. Also, at one point, I was working 3 jobs and using every bit of money I could to get myself on solid ground

It isn't easy when this is all you can do and you have no way to work outside the home. However, it sounds as though you have an incredible work ethic, an indominitable spirit, and a fight to survive. Congratulations on going to school to get a degree and better yourself. That is a great step in the right direction. That will help you out of this place and put you in a better place in the future.

Working for 4 cpl right now, I know, seems impossible. However, keep at it, improve your skills, keep looking for a better place to work, and you will get through this. Congratulations on your success so far and I look forward to reading about your continued success in the future!

Thoughts - Anonymous

[ In Reply To ..]
Have you investigated any worker retraining programs through employment security or Skill Source? There is help available for misplaced workers, money for school, etc. (Pell grant?) Our local Skill Source offers a lot of free vocational classes. I don't know the laws in every state, but would partial unemployment be an option if your income falls below a certain level? It has to be tough for you being a single mom but I do think there's help out there. I wish I knew the answer, hope this helps.

Unsure of what to do next - May I email you?

[ In Reply To ..]
I have a couple of suggestions but don't necessarily want to broadcast them here due to my distaste for "flame wars," LOL!

Wondering - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
Wondering what kind of career or life advice would be so inflammatory that you could not post it in the light of day. The fact that you feel it is and that you would need direct access to the OP is a little worrisome.

You do not need permission here to reply by email--you can just do it. The OP does not need to give you her email address, open the email, read it, or reply to it. You will not know who the OP is unless she replies, but she could be at risk from malware in your email if she opens it.

Another suggestion ... - Dallas Ink

[ In Reply To ..]

Hello!  This is a place I just saw today and was wondering if there were any possibilities / options for work for you there: 

http://transcriptionregistry.com/

It has listings of various kinds of transcription:  Legal Transcription, Law Enforcement (Police) Transcription, General Transcription, Conference Call Transcription, Focus Group Transcription, Academic Transcription, and -- of course -- Medical Transcription.  They also have a listing for Vendors (companies selling products/services to the transcription industry). 

If I'm not mistaken, I think you can put "yourself" in a listing on that board also -- as an individual offering transcription services. 

I can't offer much solid advice  about this site, but I just saw it today and was wondering if it could help you.  Maybe you could let us know how things are. 

Please know, I will be praying for you, your son, and your situation.  …

You're precisely the type of poster I was hoping to avoid - When hoping to help someone

[ In Reply To ..]
Thanks for spouting off and validating my concern.

It's the Paranoid Patties and Debbie Downers as you have exhibited yourself to be with your assinine post that I wished to avoid by emailing a couple of potential job openings to the OP.

As far as REQUESTING to email prior to doing it, IMO, that is the courteous thing to do so that she would be expecting my email rather than just seeing something pop into her inbox from this site from a stranger.

Now, you should go off and totally misinterpret other posts on the board. The world is ending in 2013, so you're running out of time. *eye roll*
Bwahahahaha, true! - Lovin itlove the post
[ In Reply To ..]
Spot on...some of these people really should have their own conspiracy theory shows, LOL!

Similar Messages:

Unsure Of Which Course To Take...
Sep 27, 2011

I am very interested in taking the classes for coding and billing.  Has anyone taken the inpatient and outpatient classes that Career Step offers?  If so, can you share any pros or cons about the program.  I am also considering another online coding and billing course through Gatlin University, but I am not sure if they offer both inpatient and outpatient coding.  Has anyone taken that program and can you share your pros and cons here too. Thank you :) ...

I Am Unsure About Looking For A New Job
Jun 04, 2012

I want to work outside my home, get an hourly clinic job, but I have worked at MQ/MM for so long now in my house...I am nervous about going back into an office setting.  I'm so comfortable here with my heating pad, getting up when I want to, not dressing up.  Do you have any encouragement for me?  I want to earn more money, because this is pitiful.  It just kind of scares me.  ...

Unsure Of This - Hemocele
Oct 28, 2009

There is no family history of any kind of clotting disorders, bleeding disorders, s/l "hemo celia", anemia, s/l thala cemere", or any other hematological disorders or malignancies.    I don't know if hemocele is right s/l "hemocelia" and I don't know and can't find if it is standalone or hemocele anemia???   any help much appreciated! ...

Unsure Where To Pause
Nov 09, 2009

I am usure as to where one thought ends and the next begins as in the part of plantar flexion in the toe at teh extremes....something just does not seem like I have the sentences correct. Any idea what I am doing wrong? tia.   Evaluation of the foot does show dorsomedial bony prominence that is tender to palpation.  There is also pain with passive dorsiflexion and plantar flexion in the toe at the extremes.  She is stiff as compared to the contralateral side.  ...

Unsure How To Type This Lab
Nov 13, 2009

Laboratory studies ordered today include Chem 10, PTH 125 25, and urine calcium/creatinine.   is this right for chem 10 and unsure of the PTH 125 25 - how to type.  thanks! ...

Unsure Of Sentence
Jan 19, 2010

unsure of punctuation and also the last sentence. I typed all as dictated, but think there should be a comma after femur, and no fractures noted as a separate sentence. Any ideas? tia.   X-rays of the pelvis and hip show some degenerative changes in the right hip greater than the left with narrowing of the joint space and osteophyte formation around the head of the femur.  The greater trochanter and intertrochanteric area no fractures are noted.   ...

Unsure Of Medication Name And How To...
Mar 03, 2010

type the way it is dictated.   The doctor states the patient will receive a gram of s/l incif preoperatively. tia.   unsure if I would type it as A GRAM of ____ . TIA. ...

Unsure Of The Sentence.
Apr 07, 2010

There is some weakness and tenderness in the supraspinatus portion of the rotator cuff.  She also has s/l with some___ inferior traction a catching sensation over the inferior aspect of her shoulder the glenohumeral joint.  She also gets this too from a neutral to an abducted position of the shoulder.   the s/l sounds like with some and the rest of the sentence doesn't seem to fit correctly. Something seems to be missing even though I typed exaclty what the doctor said. tia ...

Unsure Of Diagnosis
May 03, 2010

I cannot make sense of this diagnosis. This is exactly what the doctor says. Any help would be appreciated. TIA. The word with may also be incorrect.   EXOSTOSIS MEDIAL MALLEOLUS WITH TALUS AFTER ANKLE REPLACEMENT ...

Unsure Of What Is The Difference
Sep 29, 2011

What would be the difference in being a coder in a  physician's clinic, insurance company, mental health facility or home health facility. Which setting would provide the most interesting work, the easiest, the least time-consuming? ...

Meds -unsure
Jul 28, 2013

I have a doctor that says his meds rather quickly, without pause.... He says this frequently and I truly do not know if it is 2 meds or one.... we have to separate our medications into numerical order.  "Glucose and glucagon prn sliding scale insulin"  Any help greatly appreciated.  ...

Unsure If NEGRAM Or Any GRAM
Feb 23, 2010

doc states: pt reports photosensitivity when taking s/l NEGRAM or any GRAM. not sure if she is saying NEGRAM or any GRAM.     ...

Unsure Where To Post, But What Would You Charge Sm
Jun 28, 2010

per audio hour of dictation?  A company wants me to quote this fee to them and I have never calculated this as I usually charge by line or page, etc.  Thanks for any and all advice!  ...

Unsure Of Anterior Synovectomy
Jun 24, 2010

The patient is now 1 week postoperative arthroscopy and debridement of the right knee.  Findings revealed a medial plica, chondromalacia patella, trochlear notch of the femur, and an anterior synovectomy.  All of these were débrided.   I am unsure this is correct even though it is said clearly. This is a procedure not a finding and that is why I am very unsure. TIA. ...

Unsure Of Whole Sentence With Medication Dosages. Help Please
Mar 25, 2010

A prescription of OxyContin 10 mg 1 p.o. q.12h. X #14 and Percocet 10/325 1-2 p.o. q.4-6 hours #40 was prescribed to the patient. TIA. ...

Here's A Different Kind Of Job
Nov 17, 2012

write test questions http://www.geiswriters.com/ ...

Be Kind To Your TSM Day.
Dec 04, 2014

Seriously - they are being dragged through this with us. They need their jobs just like we do. I am sure they don't like it and their kool-laid pitchers are empty but they have to play the game. Let's just don't shoot the messenger - they are just trying to survive just like us. They don't like it anymore than we do but can't say it. :) ...

What Kind Of Clamp?
Jan 28, 2010

The uterus was clamped at the adnexa with a large _______ clamp. I really can't tell what it's saying...MAYBE "angled Z clamp", but I don't really know. It is a hysterectomy with bilateral salpingo-oophorectomy. What are my choices?  ...

What Kind Of Brainiac
Jun 01, 2010

puts a stutterer on ASR? ...

Some Kind Of Biopsy
Jan 04, 2011

She also is status post sigmoid loop colostomy in 2007 with _____ biopsy.  Sounds like the doc is saying ped-rectal biopsy.  Can't find it anywhere.  Any ideas? ...

What Kind Of Imaging?
Jan 12, 2011

Hello! :) I am trying to transcribe a radiology report and the Dr. said something that sounds like "flare imaging." Is there such a thing as flare imaging? This is the sentence: ..."increased signal on (flare) imaging, larger on the left than on the right."  Appreciate any insight! ~Lotte ...

What Kind Of Computer Do You Like Best?
Aug 20, 2011

I am looking at computers (tiger direct) and dont know which kind to get for transcription.  Can you tell me any brands that you really like or to stay away from? ...

Not Funny, But It Kind Of Is.
Dec 09, 2011

Googled homeless shelters in my area to see if I could volunteer.  What do you think pops up beside the information?  "Become a medical transcriptionist at your own pace."  It should say "Become a medical transcriptionist and you may need a homeless shelter". ...

Use A Laptop For MT? What Kind Do You Have?
Feb 03, 2012

I've been perusing laptops on Amazon.  Never had one before, so don't know that much about them.  If you were going to use one for one week out of each month to transcribe on, which one would you buy?  Or, if you already use one, what kind did you buy and why?  How many USB ports does it have?  How much memory?  Screen size?   Headphone jack?  Sound quality?   How long do you work on it per day?   Pros & cons?  ...

Try This,,,Now That Im Kind Of Comfy With ASR
Mar 21, 2012

Now that I am settled in on the ASR, not saying I like it or prefer it..I did turn the music back on...I used to do it all the time when I was on straight typing..If you can find the right music, like I play stuff that I really really know well, so I hear it but I dont hear it, know what I mean...but the rhythm seems to keep me moving well..Granted some of the dictators are impossible and it has to be turned off for them.. ...

TL's Get Some Kind Of Incentive ?
Jun 01, 2012

Does anybody at Nuance know if the TL's get some kind of incentive or something when they keep their accounts in TAT? ...

If You All Could Be So Kind As To Help Me Figure Out
Nov 13, 2012

I have not been with this company a full year and I know that changing my status before 6 months will affect my hire-on bonus, but how would I go about changing from full-time to part-time?  Do I tell them this is what I want to do or do I ask my TSM?  Any help you all could offer would be great!  ...

What Kind Of Keyboard Are You All Using
May 10, 2013

I have been thinking lately about my keyboard and mouse.  What kind of keyboards are you all using.  I use the basic Microsoft Comfort Curve keyboard but considering looking for something different.  ...

What Kind Of Employee
Aug 12, 2013

I started a job and was told I was an employee but they hold out no state or federal taxes - am I really an employee or is that statutory? ...

Some Kind Of Lens
Feb 04, 2015

States patient has glaucoma.  "He wears citrus lenses which do help him some."     She is very clearly stating citrus or sitris.  I cannot find anything about this.  Anyone have any ideas?      Thanks!! ...