A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Unsure where to post, but what would you charge sm - crochettypist

Posted: Jun 28, 2010

per audio hour of dictation?  A company wants me to quote this fee to them and I have never calculated this as I usually charge by line or page, etc.  Thanks for any and all advice!  Smile

what to charge - EAL

[ In Reply To ..]
Most of my transcription is time based - but I charge on how long it takes me. I give an estimate of 3-4 times the length of the dictation, depending on variables (clarity, etc), but make it clear that the charges will be on the actual time I put into it. No one has a problem with this, and in my billing, I break down for them what particular jobs have cost them. Good luck. (BTW - I get 30-40 an hour on these accounts)

There was a post the other day about $10 for a 15 - sm - ECMT

[ In Reply To ..]
minute audio recording. So that would be $40 which is bottom of the barrel (about 0.0666 cpl). In theory 1 minute equals 10 lines on average, so 60 mins would be 600 lines. Granted it could be more or less depending on the speed of the dictator, noise, looking things up, etc. Figure out what line rate you want, if .10cpl then charge $60. That will at least not be too little unless it is a really horrible recording. But I doubt they will pay more than that as it is. But I would ask to listen to it first before quoting, if it is horrible it would not be worth the time or trouble. Type up a few minutes of it and see how long it takes you, then you will have a better idea on what to charge.

Similar Messages:

Unsure Of Which Course To Take...
Sep 27, 2011

I am very interested in taking the classes for coding and billing.  Has anyone taken the inpatient and outpatient classes that Career Step offers?  If so, can you share any pros or cons about the program.  I am also considering another online coding and billing course through Gatlin University, but I am not sure if they offer both inpatient and outpatient coding.  Has anyone taken that program and can you share your pros and cons here too. Thank you :) ...

I Am Unsure About Looking For A New Job
Jun 04, 2012

I want to work outside my home, get an hourly clinic job, but I have worked at MQ/MM for so long now in my house...I am nervous about going back into an office setting.  I'm so comfortable here with my heating pad, getting up when I want to, not dressing up.  Do you have any encouragement for me?  I want to earn more money, because this is pitiful.  It just kind of scares me.  ...

Unsure Of This - Hemocele
Oct 28, 2009

There is no family history of any kind of clotting disorders, bleeding disorders, s/l "hemo celia", anemia, s/l thala cemere", or any other hematological disorders or malignancies.    I don't know if hemocele is right s/l "hemocelia" and I don't know and can't find if it is standalone or hemocele anemia???   any help much appreciated! ...

Unsure Where To Pause
Nov 09, 2009

I am usure as to where one thought ends and the next begins as in the part of plantar flexion in the toe at teh extremes....something just does not seem like I have the sentences correct. Any idea what I am doing wrong? tia.   Evaluation of the foot does show dorsomedial bony prominence that is tender to palpation.  There is also pain with passive dorsiflexion and plantar flexion in the toe at the extremes.  She is stiff as compared to the contralateral side.  ...

Unsure How To Type This Lab
Nov 13, 2009

Laboratory studies ordered today include Chem 10, PTH 125 25, and urine calcium/creatinine.   is this right for chem 10 and unsure of the PTH 125 25 - how to type.  thanks! ...

Unsure Of Sentence
Jan 19, 2010

unsure of punctuation and also the last sentence. I typed all as dictated, but think there should be a comma after femur, and no fractures noted as a separate sentence. Any ideas? tia.   X-rays of the pelvis and hip show some degenerative changes in the right hip greater than the left with narrowing of the joint space and osteophyte formation around the head of the femur.  The greater trochanter and intertrochanteric area no fractures are noted.   ...

Unsure Of Medication Name And How To...
Mar 03, 2010

type the way it is dictated.   The doctor states the patient will receive a gram of s/l incif preoperatively. tia.   unsure if I would type it as A GRAM of ____ . TIA. ...

Unsure Of The Sentence.
Apr 07, 2010

There is some weakness and tenderness in the supraspinatus portion of the rotator cuff.  She also has s/l with some___ inferior traction a catching sensation over the inferior aspect of her shoulder the glenohumeral joint.  She also gets this too from a neutral to an abducted position of the shoulder.   the s/l sounds like with some and the rest of the sentence doesn't seem to fit correctly. Something seems to be missing even though I typed exaclty what the doctor said. tia ...

Unsure Of Diagnosis
May 03, 2010

I cannot make sense of this diagnosis. This is exactly what the doctor says. Any help would be appreciated. TIA. The word with may also be incorrect.   EXOSTOSIS MEDIAL MALLEOLUS WITH TALUS AFTER ANKLE REPLACEMENT ...

Unsure Of What Is The Difference
Sep 29, 2011

What would be the difference in being a coder in a  physician's clinic, insurance company, mental health facility or home health facility. Which setting would provide the most interesting work, the easiest, the least time-consuming? ...

Meds -unsure
Jul 28, 2013

I have a doctor that says his meds rather quickly, without pause.... He says this frequently and I truly do not know if it is 2 meds or one.... we have to separate our medications into numerical order.  "Glucose and glucagon prn sliding scale insulin"  Any help greatly appreciated.  ...

Unsure If NEGRAM Or Any GRAM
Feb 23, 2010

doc states: pt reports photosensitivity when taking s/l NEGRAM or any GRAM. not sure if she is saying NEGRAM or any GRAM.     ...

Unsure Of Anterior Synovectomy
Jun 24, 2010

The patient is now 1 week postoperative arthroscopy and debridement of the right knee.  Findings revealed a medial plica, chondromalacia patella, trochlear notch of the femur, and an anterior synovectomy.  All of these were débrided.   I am unsure this is correct even though it is said clearly. This is a procedure not a finding and that is why I am very unsure. TIA. ...

Unsure Of Whole Sentence With Medication Dosages. Help Please
Mar 25, 2010

A prescription of OxyContin 10 mg 1 p.o. q.12h. X #14 and Percocet 10/325 1-2 p.o. q.4-6 hours #40 was prescribed to the patient. TIA. ...

Unsure Of What To Do Next...needing Kind Advice.
Apr 18, 2012

Hi.  I wanted to post this here because I need to get some feedback to my situation. I have been an MT over 20 years.  About 2 years ago, I went through a divorce and became self-supporting.  It took me until now to get a full-time job editing where I have enough work to keep me without NJA.  The last 1-1/2 years I saw such poverty, I lost my car, my home and got lots of help from Salvation Army while working 2 MT jobs which barely kept me alive.  I worked for on ...

Anyone Receive A Reply From The Transcription Doctors Job Post On Their Post For Editscript MTs?
Mar 24, 2010

nm ...

Orthopedic Surgery, Is It Perineal Post Or Peroneal Post? NM
Feb 10, 2012

xx ...

RE: New Post Replies, Do They All Go To The Bottom Of The Original Post?
Jan 23, 2010

I don't remember that yet when I post lately it goes all the way to the bottom rather than immediately after the original post.  Perhaps I just never noticed it before.  Oh well... ...

Question On Post Vs Status Post
Oct 22, 2009

Sometimes I'm not sure what to do when they say "post" ... something. I know if it is postauricular (for example), it is attached ... but how about post aneurysmal surgery?  It does not seem like it would be attached.  - Is it proper to leave it stand-alone or should I change it to status post ... or actually attach it? Thanks in advance!!  ...

What To Charge
Feb 27, 2010

What would you charge someone to listen to a file to help fill in blanks?  It is not an everyday thing and only a few files every once in a while.  This person wants to pay me for this and I have no idea what to charge. ...

How Do You Charge?
Mar 08, 2011

I am an independent subcontractor with one large account.  The hospital is switching to VR and I have been able to keep the account, but I have no idea what to charge, how to charge, or where to find info about this.  This is all happening over the next few weeks so I need to come up with a plan.  I currently charge a flat rate per line, and have not increased my fee in many years.  However, if I do editing work, do I charge per report?  I don't have a clue.  H ...

How To Charge?
Mar 09, 2011

As an independent subcontractor, how do I charge for editing as opposed to transcribing?  I currently charge a flat rate per line for transcription, but with my hospital switching to VR over the next few months I will be doing some editing as well.  I have no idea what to charge, how to charge, etc.  Any help appreciated! ...

How Much Should I Charge?
Dec 06, 2012

Hello!  I am a fairly new MT (2 years experience) and I am currently doing IC work.  I have been approached by a physician (that I used to work for as a medical assistant) to do her transcription for her as she has gone out on her own and has a private practice now.  It is a family practice, so pretty basic office visit notes.  My question is what should I charge her per line?  OR should I charge per report, per page, or what?  I'm not sure yet that her EM ...

EMR - How Much To Charge?
Feb 13, 2013

One of my groups is switching to EPIC and is requesting I prepopulate the return patient information into the system to generate individualized templates before their next clinic visit. No way to charge by the line. Anyone have any idea what the going rate range should be for this type of work? ...

What To Charge???
Apr 02, 2013

I have been asked to transcribe written reports....type the written reports.  I have never done this before....what is charged for this type of transcription?  I have only charged for transcribing dictated reports.   PLEASE HELP! ...

Help! What Should I Charge?
May 14, 2013

I have an opportunity to work with a local, successful Midwestern 6-physician ENT practice.  They want to know what I charge per line.  I'm currently with a larger MTSO and have been for years.  Back in the good old days I could charge my own clients by the gross line, 15, 17, 18 cents.  But those days are gone.  I don't want to lose the ENT group to an MTSO or other middleman. What is a fair rate for transcription (with no delivery or printing) these days?&nb ...

Help!! What To Charge
Feb 19, 2014

My husband's doctor called wanting me to do some transcription for them.  I am not sure what to charge.  She is ESL and can be difficult as I have gotten some of her work through the hospital account.  These would be clinical notes, straight typing.   She has put them on tapes.  Of course, needs them sometie in March -- over 100 of them.  Also I have Word 2007 and 2010 -  do they have a line count feature.  It has been a very, very long time ...

So Just Who Is In Charge Of OT - BR Or PK? Can Tell BR
May 01, 2015

is back with the MOT.  Makes you wonder why that wasn't so important while she was away. Mmmm - power/control trip!?! ...

IMEs - How Much To Charge
Sep 16, 2012

Hi!  Can anyone give me an idea on how much to charge to doctors for transcribing IMEs?  Also, going rate if working for service transcribing IMEs.  Thanks.   ...

Keystroke Charge
Feb 05, 2013

Has anyone heard of charging for using the shift key as a keystroke, meaning if you capitalize something, you basically get 2 characters instead of 1? ...