A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

I am unsure about looking for a new job - nervous

Posted: Jun 04, 2012

I want to work outside my home, get an hourly clinic job, but I have worked at MQ/MM for so long now in my house...I am nervous about going back into an office setting.  I'm so comfortable here with my heating pad, getting up when I want to, not dressing up.  Do you have any encouragement for me?  I want to earn more money, because this is pitiful.  It just kind of scares me. 

I'm in the same boat as you. - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
Every week with NJA and need to make more money but worked at home for so long I don't know where to begin.

add another poor soul to that list - frightened MM employee

[ In Reply To ..]
I am TERRIFIED to leave my home and work amongst the living again.

Me 4 - Socially Semi-Agoraphobic

[ In Reply To ..]
MT at home has always been a good fit for me because I don't like people, don't like office politics and don't like panty hose. I haven't worked outside in 16 years and just the thought of it makes me sick. *Sigh*
5... - dont wanna
[ In Reply To ..]
I dont wanna get my fat, lazy butt up otta this chair!!!! Well, I do, but how? Im stuck here! When I stand up, it looks like I still have a chair on my behind! Plus, these swollen up ankles dont fit into shoes.

Say a prayer.
6. But I am determined to get out of here. - me
[ In Reply To ..]
Doc said I needed a job outside of my house - MT2
[ In Reply To ..]
to save my sanity. Last year, I had an IC job and was NJA for the longest time. I thought I had a heart attack over bills and making ends meet. I also had a regular employee job at the time which was NJA a lot too. They found it was stress related due to my bills worry. Doc said I needed to get out of the house for 2 reasons: 1. Pay the bills. 2. My sanity.
I am still here working at home. Though I have to admit M Modal does provide me some security rather than the IC did and the NJA employee position. But I cannot find a job outside of the house b/c of no car. Went broke a long time ago and where I live well you need to afford a car to get out... just sayin... it's a circle I personally can't seem to get out of and more!
I so hear you - wheres_my_job
[ In Reply To ..]
supposedly there's a program in MI to help people get cars and/or maintain them (tires, etc) - BUT it's only if you're unemployed (I think)...the car thing is terrifying, no doubt about it, and a "circle" I can't think my way out of either.
Job outside the house - On-site MT
[ In Reply To ..]
I haven't done transcription at home in a number of years. I work for a facility that gives its MTs the choice of working on site or at home. After I got home, I knew it wasn't going to be a good fit for me, I think I lasted about 3 years before going back on site. Being tied to the house seriously messed with my head and my doctor was concerned. Those of you concerned about your weight - trust me, not everyone who goes to the office is thin. Sitting behind a desk all day is an MT occupational hazard. I don't know the answer to the car issue, except that public transportation could be an option. I have a car but still take the bus a couple of times a week or when I don't have errands at lunch or after work. Clothes really are not that big of a deal, at least where I work, we're pretty casual in MT, makeup is optional. The person who said they didn't like people, well that is a problem that goes deeper than MT. However, at my place there's not much time to socialize anyway as our production is carefully monitored and we usually have a ton of work to do. But, we're adults and understand that each of us has a unique personality. Unfortunately, the problem now for those of you wanting out of the house is that on-site MT jobs are very scarce. All I can say is apply everywhere and maybe take an on call or per diem job if one comes up to get your foot in the door and get out of the house.
The hardest thing is how to present yourself - as socially acceptable again???!!!
[ In Reply To ..]
I have no clothes, far side of middle-aged, and of course overweight..and I know I have to get myself together for the inevitable foray out into the real world again..but dear lord...how to get motivated to start. The constant fear I have about this job seems to incapacitate me instead of motivating me!
Oh my, I thought no one could relate!!!! - Love you guys
[ In Reply To ..]
I know I'm not alone. Gosh, wouldn't it be great to earn some more money though? I used to have a lot of fun when I first started working in-house for TL, it's like we were solving puzzles all day, good group, but I've gotten very comfortable here at home. I am nervous about being around people again too, I have my super-depressed days where I don't want to see anyone and like being home to work.
curious - mt
[ In Reply To ..]
Just curious from your post - Have you had a bully in your life?

This job is a good fit for me, too. I have been so grateful to have been able to work at home for many reasons.

Wish I could get an idea of what the future holds for MT.

already have 1 foot out the door... - Cassie

[ In Reply To ..]
and the other is close behind :) I cannot wait to say so long to MM!

That's great Cassie - - what do you have planned?

[ In Reply To ..]
Are you interviewing? Is it in-house? Have you been to an interview yet, what's that like?

Yes :) - Cassie

[ In Reply To ..]
I had a phone interview with a local clinic. I have an in person interview set up next week. Same type of work, I have to train in house, but have the option to work from home after a couple of weeks on my own. Straight transcription, no more of this VR garbage.

This is MY idea!! Pretend the Amazing GoGetter woman - you really are has somehow dropped into this life

[ In Reply To ..]
this body, job, woefulness and think...Oh HELL no!! There is no way I am living the rest of my life trapped in this tired, old life and take this crap. I am going to work this dead end job just long enough to get this body into shape, put together 3-4 days of acceptable wardrobe..and I am taking my genius skills in MLS and put them to use in a new career, check out a temp agency,...or go back to school. I do not know how I ended up here..but I am NOT staying!!!

I think the Oh HELL no!! is the crucial part - wheres_my_job

[ In Reply To ..]
I'm so tired though. I mean, I'm really tired. I don't get enough sleep. How can I sleep. It's a vicious cycle of sleep deprivation. Don't know if others can relate. But that's a big issue for me. Maybe it's menopause.

I'm currently in the same situation. I'm already looking - and interviewing, and have - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
come to the conclusion (at least for myself, anyway) that whatever small advantages there are of working at home, such as those you mentioned, and others, they just do NOT outweigh the HUGE disadvantage of not making enough to live on.

You have to remember that each month, or year, that goes by on this pitiful MTSO pay, affects your future. Your savings, possibly your credit rating, your mobility, or your ability to stay where you are, depending on which one it is you want. I want to stay where I am, but work is scarce in my area.

Still, I know there's no longer any point to accepting a job with another MTSO. If I wanted lousy work, long hours, and low pay, then I might as well stay where I am.

If I land the position I'm interviewing for (in-house MT at a hospital), I know there will be the headaches of having to learn their medical records and word processinhg system. Or of having to set an alarm in the morning, put on clothing that adheres to their dress code (which really isn't bad - just no jeans - anything else is A-OK), and drive to work. I know there will be office politics. But, there are politics at the MTSOs, too. The only difference is, as a highly "expendable", invisible, at-home MT, you have no say whatsoever. As an in-house employee, they have more invested in you. When I compare previous in-house politics to what I currently experience as an at-home MT, I find the in-house ones were actually less toxic.

If I land this job, on days when I don't want to get out of bed early in the morning, or don't feel 100% well, or maybe I dislike interaction with a certain individual on the job, having seen both worlds now, I intend to remind myself each and every day how great it is to once again have a REAL paycheck. A savings account. A 5-day work week, not a 7-day one. And an 8-hour day, not a 12-hour day.

I'll remaind myself how wonderful it is, at the end of the day, to have the entire evening to myself, to use as I see fit, not frittered away watching a blank PC monitor, hoping another job will dribble in soon. Time that I can spend exercising, reading, doing crafts, sewing, watching TV, cooking, or even cleaning the house.

Having paid vacations, instead of NO vacations. Being able to save once again for my old age, rather than siphoning off of it, like I've been doing for the last few years.

Another benefit of having to drive to another town to work is that it will put me close to things that don't exist in my town: Walmart. Safeway. Petco. Target. Gas stations. Home Depot. The ability to shop at these places on my way home from work, or even on my lunch hour in some cases, will make up for the fact that I'm using a little more gasoline to drive to work every day, because at least I'll be using NO extra gas to go shopping, as all these stores are right there, without having to go even a mile out of the way to do so.

So, my advice would be, REMEMBER THAT LIVING-WAGE PAYCHECK!!!

You'll be able to afford to buy some cute new clothes, and you'll have someplace to wear them! You'll feel more connected to the outside world, instead of locked away in your home office. Most importantly, you'll have the money to be able to live a comfortable and enjoyable life again.

Good luck! Go for it! :)

Encouragement.... sm - alleycat

[ In Reply To ..]
I was with MM for 13 years. Last December an outside job fell into my lap and I went for it. It is 15 minutes from my house and its a 9 hour day working with 20 people. (Not transcription). I was scared too! Its 6 months later and sometimes it is still hard to go out of the house and sometimes its difficult to deal with some of the people and such, BUT I have peace of mind, extra $ to spend, a predictable paycheck, more social interaction (which is healthier), and I feel more appreciated as my bosses see what I do and tell me so. I still miss transcription (had done it for almost my entire life!),but I remember what it felt like to not know how I would pay bills,etc. So its a trade-off sure, but one that most of us can't not afford to take. I hope I gave someone out there a little encouragement. Good luck!

I am your poster child!!! - I was petrified.

[ In Reply To ..]
Then I applied for a few things and was unqualified for everything -- they wanted Excel and Power Point, etc. I was not even qualified to answer the phones as a receptionist. I was very discouraged to say the least. Then a great opportunity came up typing for 3 (American) doctors in a clinic making $17 per hour. I was STILL nervous applying. I was shocked when they offered it to me. The benefit package was amazing. I would have my own office. I STILL was nervous and scared. I didn't have any clothes to wear to an office. I did take the job. I am in my fourth week now. It is the best thing I could have done and my husband swears it is an answer to prayer. He has been praying every morning for 2 years now for me a better job. Don't give up. It can happen. We do deserve this. Jobs apparently are out there. The people in the office are really nice and normal. They treat me like a queen --- apparently they think transcriptionists are not the lowly scum of the earth. Keep applying.

I know I am good at my job - - OP

[ In Reply To ..]
I woke up today, and although it's pouring rain and dreary here, I feel a little better. I re-read all the posts from yesterday. I just started reminding myself that I'm really good at this, I care about what I'm doing, I know that I can be appreciated for just how skilled I am at this job. It's that old lack of self-esteem again. I don't do this just for the "atta girl" responses, and good that I don't because I sure haven't gotten any from this company in years. I have an application in to an advertised MT job in my city, and I'll wait and see. One baby step at a time.

just take a baby step... - MT Gone

[ In Reply To ..]
I know how you feel, and I won't lie, there are days I miss working from home. When Q bought out my company it wasn't long before I saw how far in the toilet I was going to be if I tried to stick it out. I went to part-time for a former employer I';d left years back. He half-jokingly called it my transition period. Well, I'd planned on a year; however, due to the pay cuts and my account of 10 years "vanishing" I transitioned away from Q (now M*Modal) in 8 months. My new job isn't perfect, what job is, but I actually have $$$ left over, and am networking, talking to people, and meeting people in the professional world again. I loved being an MT, but I love having a roof over my head, heat, electricity, and yes, my dog, more!!!!

Hi again...I have an interview next wk... - OP

[ In Reply To ..]
I haven't interviewed with anyone in more than a decade. What kind of things should I expect them to ask me? This is for a clinic job. I'm very nervous about it. The testing would be a breeze, it's the question-answering that freaks me out!!!

Hey hey - I got a JOB! - Not nervous any more!

[ In Reply To ..]
I got the job I applied for - hourly, includes some admin duties too...I am SO EXCITED!!! It wasn't bad at all! I've gone shopping at TJ Maxx and the thrift stores, and I'm getting it together! YOU CAN DO IT! Sign up for an online service like Indeed to send you notices when there is an open job, that's what I did.

Similar Messages:

Unsure Of Which Course To Take...
Sep 27, 2011

I am very interested in taking the classes for coding and billing.  Has anyone taken the inpatient and outpatient classes that Career Step offers?  If so, can you share any pros or cons about the program.  I am also considering another online coding and billing course through Gatlin University, but I am not sure if they offer both inpatient and outpatient coding.  Has anyone taken that program and can you share your pros and cons here too. Thank you :) ...

Unsure Of This - Hemocele
Oct 28, 2009

There is no family history of any kind of clotting disorders, bleeding disorders, s/l "hemo celia", anemia, s/l thala cemere", or any other hematological disorders or malignancies.    I don't know if hemocele is right s/l "hemocelia" and I don't know and can't find if it is standalone or hemocele anemia???   any help much appreciated! ...

Unsure Where To Pause
Nov 09, 2009

I am usure as to where one thought ends and the next begins as in the part of plantar flexion in the toe at teh extremes....something just does not seem like I have the sentences correct. Any idea what I am doing wrong? tia.   Evaluation of the foot does show dorsomedial bony prominence that is tender to palpation.  There is also pain with passive dorsiflexion and plantar flexion in the toe at the extremes.  She is stiff as compared to the contralateral side.  ...

Unsure How To Type This Lab
Nov 13, 2009

Laboratory studies ordered today include Chem 10, PTH 125 25, and urine calcium/creatinine.   is this right for chem 10 and unsure of the PTH 125 25 - how to type.  thanks! ...

Unsure Of Sentence
Jan 19, 2010

unsure of punctuation and also the last sentence. I typed all as dictated, but think there should be a comma after femur, and no fractures noted as a separate sentence. Any ideas? tia.   X-rays of the pelvis and hip show some degenerative changes in the right hip greater than the left with narrowing of the joint space and osteophyte formation around the head of the femur.  The greater trochanter and intertrochanteric area no fractures are noted.   ...

Unsure Of Medication Name And How To...
Mar 03, 2010

type the way it is dictated.   The doctor states the patient will receive a gram of s/l incif preoperatively. tia.   unsure if I would type it as A GRAM of ____ . TIA. ...

Unsure Of The Sentence.
Apr 07, 2010

There is some weakness and tenderness in the supraspinatus portion of the rotator cuff.  She also has s/l with some___ inferior traction a catching sensation over the inferior aspect of her shoulder the glenohumeral joint.  She also gets this too from a neutral to an abducted position of the shoulder.   the s/l sounds like with some and the rest of the sentence doesn't seem to fit correctly. Something seems to be missing even though I typed exaclty what the doctor said. tia ...

Unsure Of Diagnosis
May 03, 2010

I cannot make sense of this diagnosis. This is exactly what the doctor says. Any help would be appreciated. TIA. The word with may also be incorrect.   EXOSTOSIS MEDIAL MALLEOLUS WITH TALUS AFTER ANKLE REPLACEMENT ...

Unsure Of What Is The Difference
Sep 29, 2011

What would be the difference in being a coder in a  physician's clinic, insurance company, mental health facility or home health facility. Which setting would provide the most interesting work, the easiest, the least time-consuming? ...

Meds -unsure
Jul 28, 2013

I have a doctor that says his meds rather quickly, without pause.... He says this frequently and I truly do not know if it is 2 meds or one.... we have to separate our medications into numerical order.  "Glucose and glucagon prn sliding scale insulin"  Any help greatly appreciated.  ...

Unsure If NEGRAM Or Any GRAM
Feb 23, 2010

doc states: pt reports photosensitivity when taking s/l NEGRAM or any GRAM. not sure if she is saying NEGRAM or any GRAM.     ...

Unsure Where To Post, But What Would You Charge Sm
Jun 28, 2010

per audio hour of dictation?  A company wants me to quote this fee to them and I have never calculated this as I usually charge by line or page, etc.  Thanks for any and all advice!  ...

Unsure Of Anterior Synovectomy
Jun 24, 2010

The patient is now 1 week postoperative arthroscopy and debridement of the right knee.  Findings revealed a medial plica, chondromalacia patella, trochlear notch of the femur, and an anterior synovectomy.  All of these were débrided.   I am unsure this is correct even though it is said clearly. This is a procedure not a finding and that is why I am very unsure. TIA. ...

Unsure Of Whole Sentence With Medication Dosages. Help Please
Mar 25, 2010

A prescription of OxyContin 10 mg 1 p.o. q.12h. X #14 and Percocet 10/325 1-2 p.o. q.4-6 hours #40 was prescribed to the patient. TIA. ...

Unsure Of What To Do Next...needing Kind Advice.
Apr 18, 2012

Hi.  I wanted to post this here because I need to get some feedback to my situation. I have been an MT over 20 years.  About 2 years ago, I went through a divorce and became self-supporting.  It took me until now to get a full-time job editing where I have enough work to keep me without NJA.  The last 1-1/2 years I saw such poverty, I lost my car, my home and got lots of help from Salvation Army while working 2 MT jobs which barely kept me alive.  I worked for on ...