A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

25 clever ideas to make life easier - sm

Posted: Dec 17, 2011

Why didn’t I think of that?! We guarrantee you’ll be uttering those words more than once at these ingenious little tips, tricks and ideas that solve everyday problems … some you never knew you had! (Above: hull strawberries easily using a straw).

Rubbing a walnut over scratches in your furniture will disguise dings and scrapes.

Remove crayon masterpieces from your TV or computer screen with WD40 (also works on walls).

Stop cut apples browning in your child’s lunch box by securing with a rubber band

Overhaul your linen cupboard – store bedlinen sets inside one of their own pillowcases and there will be no more hunting through piles for a match.

Pump up the volume by placing your iPhone / iPod in a bowl – the concave shape amplifies the music.

Re-use a wet-wipes container to store plastic bags.

Add this item to your beach bag. Baby powder gets sand off your skin easily – who knew?!

Attach a velcro strip to the wall to store soft toys.

Look up! Use wire to make a space to store gift wrap rolls against the ceiling, rather than cluttering up the floor.

Gotcha! Find tiny lost items like earrings by putting a stocking over the vacuum hose.

Make an instant cupcake carrier by cutting crosses into a box lid

For those who can’t stand the scrunching and bunching: how to perfectly fold a fitted sheet.

Forever losing your bathroom essentials? Use magnetic strips to store bobby pins (and tweezers and clippers) behind a vanity door

A tip for holiday packing. Store shoes inside shower caps to stop dirty soles rubbing on your clothes. And you can find them in just about every hotel!

A muffin pan becomes a craft caddy. Magnets hold the plastic cups down to make them tip-resistant.

Bread tags make the perfect-sized cord labels

Bake cupcakes directly in ice-cream cones – so much more fun and easier for kids to eat. Definitely doing this!

Microwave your own popcorn in a plain brown paper bag. Much healthier and cheaper than the packet stuff.

Brilliant space-saver: install a tension rod to hang your spray bottles. Genius!

Win friends at breakfast with this heart-shaped egg tutorial. Aww shucks!

Turn your muffin pan upside down, bake cookie-dough over the top and voila – you have cookie bowls for fruit or ice-cream.

Freeze Aloe Vera in ice-cube trays for soothing sunburn relief.

Gutter garden: Create a window-box veggie patch using guttering.

Use egg cartons to separate and store your Christmas decorations

http://www.thedailybuzz.com.au/2011/...storage-ideas/

Awesome! - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
WOW! I truly have no idea which is the best idea - I can't wait to use a bunch of those! Thanks for posting them!

Luvzit! - Thanks! NM

[ In Reply To ..]
xx

Thanks for sharing - these really ARE clever! - Mushroom

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

These are super!! - thanks

[ In Reply To ..]

Smacking my forehead. - Rainy

[ In Reply To ..]
Some of these are pretty obvious, so why didn't I think of them? LOL. Bread tags as cord labels? Neater looking than the stapled paper tags I use now. And DEFINITELY trying the gutter garden boxes. Thanks so much for posting these.

The only one I didn't like was microwaving popcorn - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
in a "plain brown paper bag". Most paper bags these days are made from recycled paper treated with chemicals you wouldn't want to use with food.

WD-40 will leave an oily residue and may permanently stain - paint but - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
I used regular old Colgate toothpaste - plain white or any other plain white cheap toothpaste - to take crayon AND markers off of my white walls due to an artistic granddaughter LOL. Worked like a charm. And it was red marker, too :)

And if you get blood on the carpet or furniture, peroxide takes it out with no stain left behind and no harm to the fabric.

Hope these help someone here :)

Love it! Thanks for sharing! nm - wrkn4pnuts

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

Similar Messages:

Supervisors Can Make Your Life A Living
Nov 19, 2012

I have known this for all the years that I have been in this business, but unfortunately I came face to face, so to speak, with this problem again recently.  I stated a point to my supervisor by e-mail, and very nicely, about some technical difficulties I was having, and no matter how I would explain it, she did not understand what I said.  Even the tech told her that it was not due to my computer, but the connection I had.  She said she would call me, and I said I would look ...

I Guess I Will Make It My Life's Mission To Warn Others About Omniscribes Sm
May 05, 2013

so that they do not end up in the same position I am. I entered into the agreement fair and square with no mention of having to wait to be paid, yet here I sit, waiting, perhaps forever. I cannot even come up with the $96 to file a small claims case against her until I get my first check from the new job. She sits in church and paints herself as this giving, caring, Christian woman, goes home to her nice house with 2 vehicles, while I sit here in my tiny apartment with my ancient car, wonderi ...

VR? Easier? LOL.
Jan 19, 2013

Today was my first day of VR. I've been an MT for 25 years. OMG, what an experience! I am mentally drained. Using my hands, foot, ears, eyes, brain and 6 different software programs that have to be manuevered simultaneously while "translating" poor dictation and/or poor VR is the ultimate in multi-tasking. Seriously can we add another task, or another of the five senses to this job for half pay? Working VR is like riding a unicycle up on the high wire while juggling oranges, wearing ...

There Has To Be An Easier Way Of Doing This!
Nov 04, 2013

I need help. I work for a company that pays different CPL for VR and straight typing. Is there a program that I can purchase or download that will keep track of my earnings and/or add them up for me? I'm doing upwards of 50 reports per day and I have to go get the statistics off one page, use a calculator to multiply and then insert the totals into my spreadsheet and THEN add them all up. This is way too time consuming. There HAS to be another way to do this that won't take up my valua ...

Some WTs Easier?
Jun 30, 2014

Just started with a new company and have been hearing that some MTs got in trouble for rejecting certain work types because they were harder.  Do some MTs really find certain work types easier or more difficult?  I can't tell a difference in difficulty from worktype to worktype.  For me it is the dictator that makes the report easier or harder.  Just curious. ...

Home Or On-site-which Is Easier
Jan 14, 2010

I was wondering which is better--working on site for an office or hospital or working at home?  I would appreciate any advice. ...

Easier Way To Find Words
Nov 10, 2011

You know, with all the technology out there you'd think someone would come up with an easier way for us to find words, aside from asking for help from our supervisors or other QC/QA people at our company, or asking for help on a forum like this one.  Anybody heard of anything in the works like that?  Just curious. ...

Is Finding A New Job Getting Easier Or Harder. Nm
Mar 16, 2012

nm ...

Serioulsy, Wouldn't It Have Been Easier To Just Tell Us SM
Dec 17, 2014

they were going to pay us 7 cpl?  From just glancing through the posts here that is what everybody is basically saying.  Did anyone make more than that?  I for one am NOT going to approve my timecard because I DON'T APPROVE!    I'm still up in the air on whether I will finish out this week or not.  ...

Why Are Macros Easier Than Saving In AutoCorrect?
May 19, 2011

I need all the help I can get.  ...

There Seems To Be More Jobs Posted Lately. Has Anyone Found It Easier
Dec 26, 2012

to get a job lately moreso than before.  Just wondering.  ...

Has Anyone Found It Any Easier To Find A Job Now Or Is It Worse Than Before. Nm
Jul 04, 2014

nm ...

Things Would Run Smoother If Searching Info Was Easier
Feb 15, 2012

Is it just me..I am on their company desktop so curious...If I am in a report and go to the F5 to search the all mighty repository then it messes up my DocQmanage search page and I have to sign out of there and resign in from scratch, doesnt even save my initial information..And why cant we be in the docqmanage search area and the docqmanage area that has the QA feedback at the same time..Having to constantly sign in and out is causing more trouble then anything.. ...

How Did My Life Get So Bad
Feb 01, 2014

Yes I have known for quite awhile the end is near for MT but I don't know what I'm going to do now.   20 years ago I was the envy of the medical record department, the lead transcriptionist that everyone thought was so smart, and I made more than almost anyone in the entire hospital.  Now I just feel stupid.  I keep wondering how my life got so bad.  It's so easy to say go back to school! learn a different skill! and I know some my age (55) have done that, ...

New Life
May 25, 2015

Happy Memorial Day!  I think I may be starting a new life for myself.  I have been a medical transcriptionist for the past fourteen years for a neurologist. With his new EMR system he decided to do it himself. I have had an awful time trying to find a new job. These big companies are just brutal-on my self esteem as well.  My husband is in the healthcare field and he mentioned to me coding and I had just been thinking to myself about what could I go back to school for but couldn&# ...

Any Ideas??
Feb 12, 2012

Help! I am transcribing from some tapes, yes tapes, and the sound quality is extremely poor.  Wondering if anyone knows if conference mode versus dictation mode makes any difference in sound quality.  Need to do something.  Digital would be best if I can convince them to change.  Thanks for any suggestions. ...

Need Some Ideas.
May 24, 2012

Well this whole transcription thing is not going well. Duh! With a really bad work schedule, an hour commute each way and now the threat of the hospital outsourcing our department, I am trying to think of something I can do from home besides work for peanuts for a MTSO. I am expecting my first child soon and really want to be home with him.  Does anyone have a friend or family member who has successfully implemented her own business (perhaps with a transcription background) and if so, ...

Any Ideas?
Dec 11, 2013

Tried testing for Accentus, but my foot pedal would not play the voice file.  It did absolutely nada.  I could not go backward or fast forward.  I was able to hear the test voice file just fine, so I went ahead and hit the tab to take the test.  I transcribed 4 words, went to back up, and I couldn't.  Any suggestions as to why my stinking foot pedal would not work?  It works fine when I am transcribing for my present service.    ...

Ideas??
Apr 07, 2015

Hi Guys/Gals,   I am dictating a doctor who sounds like he has a mouthful of marbles.  Under Physical Exam he states, "Abdomen is soft, no _____megaly.  It is not organomegaly because I have transcribed this doctor many times and it sounds nothing like it.  Any ideas on what else it could be?  ...

Life After Transcription
Mar 22, 2010

I have just turned 52 the other day and seem to be developing quite a bit of pain in my hands and wondering if any one knows of a good career path for me to head into besides typing.  ...

Life Beyond MedQuist
Aug 11, 2011

Wish I lived in Massachusetts.  There is life beyond MedQuist.  Job Post I just ran across:  Manager of Medical Transcription About the Job Minimum of 5-10 years transcription needed, plus minimum of 7 years supervisory experience. Knowledgeable about MedQuist platform, able to train physicians on MedQuist dictation system and electronic signature. Day position with occasional weekends. Manager must be current in transcription abilities, ability to set up certain templates, ...

Medquist Has Taken Away My Life
Oct 13, 2011

My accounts just went 100% ASR with no email warning or team meeting!  It takes too long to edit these jobs because ASR is the worst!  It seems that ASR is better at ESL docs than people who have a wonderful American accent and it takes longer to edit people who speak perfect English.  They have messed with me so much.  I have 4 babies to take care of and can barely make rent.  Foodstamps only gives us food and I have no extra money for things like electricity and i ...

Thinking About My Life
Mar 16, 2012

After reading the last few threads, I have been asking myself some hard questions. Why do I continue in this job that I clearly hate? I can't make ends meet, I am bored, and I know I am being taken advantage of, so why do I make the choice to stay? I try to continually remind myself I have a choice. No one is forcing me to do this job. I can quit or do something else. I feel the same as the rest of you, slave labor, boring VR, no respect for our skills and talents and we should be pai ...

Life After Epic
Oct 19, 2012

Hi all, The hospital I work for will start using Epic next year.  From everything I have read, I understand that transcription will most likely be cut in half.  For those of you have gone through this already, have you seen any other jobs created AFTER Epic?  I know there may be editing, but should we expect anything else?   ...

A Day In The Life Of An MT - Priceless.
Jan 03, 2013

want a good laugh?     ...

Sucking The Life Out Of Me
Feb 03, 2014

I can't get through 2 hours without some major technical issue that prevents me from completing a report. The support department is sorely lacking in helping. When I do hear from them they have a cocky attitude and basically tell me they can't do a thing to help. I can't get out of here quick enough. WORST company I've ever worked for. No concern for employees and demands exceed reality! ...

Life Expectancy Of MT
Mar 12, 2014

With all this talk about the coding offer, what do you all think is the life expectancy of the current MTs? How quickly are we going to be phased out in favor of coders? Do you think MM will keep a skeleton crew of MTs on board and, if so, how will they be chosen? Do we hang on for however long and, once we're laid off, then collect unemployment? Or do we jump ship now? ...

Yes, Virginia, There Is Life After MM
Aug 03, 2014

In the last 5 months, I have been fired from MM after 16 years of dedicated service on my part (95.5% audit, buh-bye), have collected UE, applied for hundreds (literally) of jobs in the large metro area in which I live, cried on my husband's shoulder (the kindest and best of men) and helped take care of my ailing 92-year-old mom (what a sweetie). In the last month, my mom passed away (worried about me, not herself). In the last 10 days, my young dachshund passed away from lymphoma (e ...

Life After MMoral
Aug 29, 2014

Hello All, I quit on Dec 31st (new year, new life), couldn't stand working for MMoral another day.  It has been a long, hard 8 months (live in a rural area) with many resumes sent and many interviews.  I have been interviewing with Amazon for one of their Fulfillment Centers here in Southern California since June 21st (my first contact with them).  I received a contingency offer letter from them the other day (contingent on passing background check and drug test).  I c ...

Life After Transcription TIA
Sep 06, 2014

Hey all, after 10 years of being an MT, I'm thinking about jumping this sinking ship.  Unfortunately, I can't bear the thought of working outside the home again.  Is there any job out there that I can do at home that isn't a scam and is stable?  Or, if I have to work outside the home, what jobs are out there that my experience would complement?  I'm starting to get anxious with how things are going with MModal, my current employer, and waiting for that ax.  TIA ...