A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

State taxes taken out reported on W2 but I live - in non-tax state

Posted: Mar 02, 2013

I'm pretty sure my former employer made a mistake on my W2 or made a mistake by withholding state taxes. 

I live in a state that has no state taxes.  My company is in a state tax state. 

I just cracked open my W2 and it shows state tax withholding.  I checked last year's W2 for same company, state (theirs and mine), and nothing is in that box. 

I'll be calling them, but does anyone kinow if there may have been a change I didn't hear about?  Or has this happened to anyone?   I'm searching, but not finding anything specific to my question so far.  Thanks. :-)

I bet you will get a refund from your state. nm - MT56

[ In Reply To ..]
xxx

No experience here, but I would think the state would - have refused the deposits early on... nm

[ In Reply To ..]
x

state income taxes can be tricky - Des

[ In Reply To ..]
When working for temp agencies, whether or not the employee owes state income taxes depends on the physical location of the assignment. I was told that state taxes are owed if the physical location of where the work is being performed is in a state that has a state income tax, regardless of where the employee lives or the location of the temp agency.

Since MTSOs, like temp agencies, hire employees to work off-site, then it would seem likely that the same rule would apply to MTSOs and IC MTs as does to the temp agencies. Since the work is being physically done at the employee's home, and as long as the MT is living in a state that does not have a state income tax, then the MT should not owe state income tax, and if it was withheld anyway, then you should have a refund coming.

This does not apply to in-house hospital MTs working from home, however.

Completely confusing, I know. If you're no sure, I'd highly suggest getting some professional advice.

Non Resident State taxes - travelinmt

[ In Reply To ..]
You will need to file a non-resident status state return in the state the taxes were taken out.

You will get a full refund since you do not live in that state. I had it happen to me when I traveled and my tax man just filed a return for those states.

If you file your own taxes you will have to find out where you can get the forms for a different state. Try google :)

Thank you (everyone) for info - OP (nm)

[ In Reply To ..]
x

Similar Messages:

Doctors Reported To Their State Medical Board For Malpractice, How About Maldictation?
Jun 14, 2013

When a doctor repeatedly, deliberately makes vocal utterances that do not even come close to forming words, whose dictation cannot be deciphered by MTs with 20-30 years experience in his specialty, shouldn't this doctor be reported?  ...

NEMT - Anyone Else Refused Because Of The State They Live In?
Jan 26, 2010

I live in MI, and I'm looking to supplement my current IC accounts, so applied with them.  Their response is they don't hire anyone living in MI!!  This is the first time I have ever had a company say anything like this.  Just curious. ...

Which Companies Will Not Hire You If You Live In A Certain State
May 24, 2010

Would anyone who has been denied applying to a company because of the State they live in please post the name of the Company and the name of the State(s) they do not hire from. I think this only pertains to EMPLOYEE Status, but if Independent Contractors have been denied, please indicate that you wanted IC status. NetMed Transcription only hires from 12 States – Employee Status Alabama Arizona Arkansas California Florida Indiana Kansas North Carolina Oregon Pennsylvania Texas ...

No State Taxes Withheld
Aug 04, 2011

I have an interview with a hospital that will not take out state taxes, but does take out federal taxes.  The hospital is in a state where no state taxes are required, but I live in a state where I have to pay.  How does this process work and what would this entail for me if I get an offer on this job?  It provides health insurance, medical, dental, and vision, but no state taxes.  Will that affect social security?  Anyone know the process and percentage to withhold, how ...

Just Rejected By A Company That Said I Could Not Work Due O Tax Issues In The State I Live.
Feb 03, 2012

I just received an email from a company that said due to tax issues, I was not eligible to work for them. Give me an ever-lovin break, I worked for and quit a company in Arizona that I was eligible to work in another state as an employee. Just another excuse they use, although it was nice of them to let me know. ...

Does Anyone Work For A Hospital, But You Live Out Of State From That Hospital?
Aug 13, 2010

Or how from that hospital do you live? ...

MT Subcontractor - Have To Pay Self-employment Taxes In Addition To Federal Income Taxes?
Jun 18, 2011

As a subcontractor performing medical transcription, do I have to pay self-employment taxes in addition to Federal Income Taxes? ...

If You Are Working For A Company In Another State, Do They Follow Their State Rules Or Your States?
May 12, 2010

x ...

Anyone Ever Pay Monthly Taxes For Taxes Owed
May 12, 2014

I owed a bit of money for last years taxes, which I do not have so am making monthly payments.  I sent in the form to request to pay monthly, but have not heard anything back.  Has anyone done this and is this unusual (that I have not heard back anything)?  I was reading all these websites and they were saying just keep mailing in what you can each month until it's paid off and then you might owe penalties, which I understand.  It stinks, but right now I have more bills ...

One Has To Seriously Wonder About These Reported
Feb 07, 2013

It's surely not a coincidence that the employee factor is a link.  Where are they getting this personal contact information from?  Makes you wonder. ...

Has Anyone Ever Reported Someone For A HIPPA Violation? (sm)
Aug 02, 2010

The daughter of a friend of mine works in the clinic that I worked at for 18 years in medical records is known to read charts and then tell others about what she has read.  For example, someone who has an STD that she knows, she has told lots of friends about it and I have heard it myself.  Does anyone have any idea what happens when you report someone for a violation?  I am sure that they take the person's name who is reporting it but can you tell me what else is ...

Info Needed From Anyone Who Reported MTSO For Not Paying Overtime Please.
Oct 17, 2010

What was the process you went through?  I would guess you most likely would contact the labor board.  Was that your state or the state of the MTSO main office?  I would think they would ask for my timesheets, which I have kept.  Did you mail things to an address the labor board gave you and deal with one investigator? What was the outcome of your case?  How long did it take to get the matter resolved and receive your back pay for all the overtime? I know I pr ...

Has Anyone Reported A Company To The Department Of Labor For Unpaid Overtime?
Aug 06, 2011

If you have, can you explain the process?  Did you supply them with a weekly log of your hours?  Did you file to the state you reside or the Department of Labor where your company has its main office?  How long did it take to get your check;-)  How were you paid - did they figure an average hourly rate as we are paid per line?  Any info appreciated.  ...

QuadraMed (Duncan) Courtesy Of Misys (VD) Reported Mangers
Jun 05, 2013

Interesting!  So Constellation Softwares acquires QuadraMed which the CEO is Duncan James (our new CEO for MM) and supposedly QuadraMed courtesy of Misys (who Davenport and Princess used to work for and Allscripts and Misys merged) managers of QuadraMed are clearing out their offices and employees would be told how long they had left to work for the company which Duncan leaves as CEO of QuadraMed to join as CEO of MM.  My gosh, they all are sleeping together. ARTICLE:  Constellat ...

Self-reported Height And Weight WERE 5 Feet 5 Inches And 125 Pounds
Apr 18, 2014

1)  Self-reported height and weight WERE 5 feet 5 inches and 125 pounds OR 2)  Self-reported height and weight WAS 5 feet 5 inches and 125 pounds. The doc always dictates #2.   ...

S/l "palasiffy" State Or "palesippy" State
Feb 05, 2010

patient is depressed and stressed over being a college student in a "palesippy" state??? Any help would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks!! Abby ...

Are Those Of Us To Who It Was Mentioned To Go Live With DQS 7
Jun 06, 2012

today still supposed to start using it?  I haven't received any official email from the CCM stating to start using it today. ...

Go Live Definition
Oct 30, 2012

I'm new to this - what does "go live" actually mean?  Is it when it goes from strictly straight typing to VR?  Or is it when an MTSO gets a brand new acct?  Thanks! ...

If You Live In Texas And Own An RV
Apr 06, 2013

If you live in Texas (or maybe Louisiana) and own your own RV, consider being a gate guard at a natural gas field. The pay is about $15 an hour and that's 24 hours a day. And while you're sitting in that RV, guess what you can be doing. ...

Live Notes, Anybody?
Jun 08, 2013

I have a chance to get in with an MT company that also offers their ICs a chance at live note taking.  It doesn't pay too good, though, less than what the standard reports pay per audio minute.  I have never done this.  Can someone explain to me how it works?  I have heard that "live notes are typed in one pass."  What does this mean? ...

Windows Live
Oct 01, 2013

Is anyone else having problems this morning?  It won't let me delete email and I'm not sure it sent my email.  I get the following message:  "Your server has unexpectedly terminated the connection.  Possible causes for this include server problems, network problems, or a long period of inactivity."  There is a yellow triangle with an exclamation point in the bottom right corner and it says "error." ...

New Hire And OOW - On First Live Day? Sm
Apr 24, 2014

Seriously?  Is this typical?  Love how recruitment hyped this place up.  New PT hire, assigned one primary acct, finished the umpteen hours of training, released to TSM and on my first "live" day of work my account is OOW?  Then receive a zip file of emails from TSM sent to the ENTIRE team which include prior employee resignation letters, employees being reprimanded, and the kicker - TSM acknowledges that the work volume on the account that I was assigned to wasn't ...

Go Live Checklist?
Jun 27, 2014

I have a new transcription service that I recently acquired (nothing large but big enough to pay the bills :)  I am a little lost on what I should be doing as far as a checklist for go live?  So far, I have requested samples of physicians, inquired on their volume, and discussed delivery. What else am I missing? ...

If You Live In Texas
Jan 11, 2015

Baylor Grapevine is looking for a coder, either CCS or CPC, with only ONE MONTH of experience. ...

Turned Down For MT Because I Live In CA
Apr 22, 2015

I have been turned down by 3 different MT companies stating it is because of California's laws creating problems. Anyone else having this problem? Is there a way around it? Since most MT companies are not in CA, I find this extremely disturbing. Since I cannot seem to meet the minimum lph (working at Nuance), I have been looking for independent contractor work. ...

Platelet Count Cannot Be Reported Due To Platelet S/l Crumbs
Nov 01, 2010

Platelet count cannot be reported due to platelet s/l crumbs seen on peripheral blood smear. ...

Live System Over The Internet
Mar 24, 2010

What is meant by "live system over the Internet" in some job ads.  TIA! ...

Go Live A Dead Issue?
May 25, 2010

It seems the schedule reservation "go live" in my area has now been cancelled until further notice.  I'm in the north region and wonder if any other areas have been using it successfully.  With all these so called improvements coming our way, I'm having a hard time remember what's what.  Does this mean the swapboard isn't going to work anymore or just the schedule/DQS factor with the work allowance of 15 minutes prior/after scheduled shift?  I'm ...

MTs Who Live Up North - Question
Aug 22, 2010

Do MTs who work up north make more than MTs who live down south?  I wonder because I was born in CT, but I live in NC now.  I know the cost of living up there is triple what it is here in NC.  So, how are they living on .08 a line in CT?  ...

2011 MT Survey Now Live
Mar 11, 2011

Dear all, I'm pleased to announce that the 2011 MT Survey is now live.  If you remember the 2007 MT Survey, this is a continuation of that (with some changes).  In the previous survey, we received 3800 responses, which culminated in the report MTs on the Radar (you can find it at http://ehealthrecords.wordpress.com/publications/).  We are hoping for another successful survey. So if you are interested in completing the survey, you can go to http://www.medicaltranscriptio ...