A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Has anyone reported a company to the Department of Labor for unpaid overtime? - gettinoutofthebizMT

Posted: Aug 06, 2011

If you have, can you explain the process?  Did you supply them with a weekly log of your hours?  Did you file to the state you reside or the Department of Labor where your company has its main office?  How long did it take to get your check;-)  How were you paid - did they figure an average hourly rate as we are paid per line?  Any info appreciated. 

Unpaid - Overtime

[ In Reply To ..]
Go to the Web site of your state's department of labor; read about overtime and unpaid overtime and what steps to take before filing a complaint.

Been there, done that. Didn't give me the answers - gettinoutofthebizMT

[ In Reply To ..]
to the questions I had listed. Thanks though.

OT not paid - anony

[ In Reply To ..]
I'm not sure, but I think the production pay aspect of this covers them i.e. if you are on shift, but not actually working (typing) they can get out of calling it time worked. Not sure about that, but it is what I was told by someone who tried to do something about this.
that's why companies are implementing these 'time stamp' programs. - not inhourly anymore, totoe
[ In Reply To ..]

While is comes off as a big brother monitoring system and pain in the arse to keep clicling on and off every sneeze, cough and burp, it documents and protects both the mtso and mt for issues like overtime.

You can be an employee but this is no hourly job and so don't think in those terms. Can't say, well I worked 12 yours yesterday adn didn't get overtime, unless you get paid by the hour and we don't. They can look it up and say, oh, but you only really worked 8 of those 12 hours logged on and guess what? doesnt include breaks.

The average mt actually works 6 - 7 hours in an 8 hour shift ON PRODUCTION PAY. But that same 8 hour shift would be considered working 8 hours ON HOURLY PAY.

and if you don't have some type of time stamp or time card program - no proof of anything.
Think you are all incorrect and companies depend - gettinoutofthebizMT
[ In Reply To ..]
on us not having the proper information in terms of our OT. The company must be able to figure an hourly rate (based on an average of your pay period) even though we are paid CPL. They have to give you the dates and times of the 40-hour week and you certainly can include in your logging of your hours time spent in research, printing, training, emails and everything included,even watching your Q for work to become availabe, etc. What other industry do you know that would not pay for time you invested in performing your duties? I will never work on a time stamp by report company. I will work for a company that says you can only put down 40 hours a week on a time sheet without having OT approved - but will not work over 40 hours usually if it is not approved as OT. I think this is only fair and we need to look out for ourselves in this industry or any other - cuz nobody else is gonna.
It depends on the state you live in. - Home workers are defined on the state level.
[ In Reply To ..]
Because our pay is piecework, it is differently defined. In one state, if you are required to come inhouse for any reason, the company has to pay mileage. In another, you get no pay for driving time. Just have to see what your state does.
I don't believe this is true. I think there are basic guidelines at the federal - level to prevent such abuse. nm
[ In Reply To ..]
x
Investigate it yourself; I have been an inhouse supervisor - for home MTs in 2 states.
[ In Reply To ..]
It is defined at the state level. That is what you will find if you check the federal guidelines. The particulars are left to the states. I had to investigate all that when I implemented home stations for our MTs. It is not as you suppose.
Then how did MQ manage to get their wrist smacked when they had to pay out - all the back OT? nm
[ In Reply To ..]
x
They didn't have to ultimately. - Only a few got paid back OT.
[ In Reply To ..]
The rest was in the settlement that benefited AHDI but not the MTs.
Maybe it's been a while. - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
But according to FLSA, home workers have the same requirements/entitlemens as in-office workers, including minimum wage and overtime. The only wiggle room the state has on that is how they define their OT; for example, in CA I think it's more than 8 in a day, whereas most other states is more than 40 in a week. Ditto as to how much minimum wage is.

Similar Messages:

Anyone Had Successfully Filed A Claim With The Department Of Labor Regarding Unpaid Time?
Oct 03, 2013

I was wondering if anyone had successfully filed a claim with the Department of Labor regarding unpaid time waiting for jobs or being "engaged to wait."  ...

CA. Labor Board States "Good Case" Regarding Unpaid Labor
Jun 22, 2015

A fellow MT posted on the Nuance board that she contacted the California Labor Board regarding unpaid labor.  I hope this case creates a precedent!  For me, some jobs are so laden with problems half my time is spent researching and correcting dictator errors - for no pay!  We are not paid to check email, answer email, train, review of all the documents emailed to us, review changes in procedure, doctor exceptions to the rule, working with tech support, reviewing QA, searchin ...

Info Needed From Anyone Who Reported MTSO For Not Paying Overtime Please.
Oct 17, 2010

What was the process you went through?  I would guess you most likely would contact the labor board.  Was that your state or the state of the MTSO main office?  I would think they would ask for my timesheets, which I have kept.  Did you mail things to an address the labor board gave you and deal with one investigator? What was the outcome of your case?  How long did it take to get the matter resolved and receive your back pay for all the overtime? I know I pr ...

Lawsuit For Unpaid Overtime
Jul 21, 2012

Yet another lawsuit for unpaid overtime by Keystrokes.......anyone have issues working for these people and not being paid overtime?  Are you willing to stand up for yourself and get what you deserve?  If so, please send a response!  ...

Department Of Labor Audit
May 07, 2015

I received an email recently from my company stating that they were undergoing a random DOL audit followed by a questionnaire in the mail from the DOL...which the company stated was voluntary and it was up to us to decide if we wanted to answer it.  Just wondering if anyone has experienced this and knows what is going on and how this could affect our jobs?  I am currently working as an independent contractor on a Veterans Affairs account and would like to keep my job...a ...

Webmedx/Department Of Labor Cold Call???
Jan 27, 2011

Just curious, Has anyone, working for Webmedx, received an anaymous call, from the Department of Revenue, requesting information about your salary at Webmedx, stating they received your information as part of a list of employees from Webmedx??? I declined to answer as the individual could/would not provide any identifying information, including name, and the number was blocked.  Please advise as I am concerned about possible identity theft, especially in light of the fact that I am not e ...

Survey Of Interest For Department Of Labor Suit.
May 07, 2015

I've been observing Medquist/M*modal for the past number of years since their previous law suit. The technologies they have employed as of late are widely viewed as intentionally inhibiting, many employees stating that this speech recognition program, as well as constant shuffling of work pools, or "pods" prevent the familiarity that is central to profit,accuracy, and productivity. I intend to gauge the interest and willingness of participation in the current M*modal employee community. Pl ...

Look At This Regarding Overtime - Found It On A Labor Attorney Website.
Oct 14, 2012

Piece rate — The regular rate of pay for an employee paid on a piecework basis is obtained by dividing the total weekly earnings by the total number of hours worked in that week. The employee is entitled to an additional one-half times this regular rate for each hour over 40, plus the full piecework earnings. Example: An employee paid on a piecework basis works 45 hours in a week and earns $315. The regular rate of pay for that week is $315 divided by 45, or $7.00 an hour. In addition to ...

Department Of Labor Says 40 Hours Equals 40 Hours...
Sep 16, 2014

...check it out for yourselves. Employees are not independent contractors. If you signed up for a straight 8 per day, your time sheet should reflect only the breaks you take off the clock. They are so messing with you folks! ...

Hospital Transcription Department To National Company
Apr 29, 2014

Is there anybody here who worked for a hospital in the transcrption department only to have their jobs yanked out from under t hem and sent to a National such as Nuance?  I know somebody who works for a local hospital and it looks like they secretly are in the process of making this move....some very strange secretive things going on that makes me wonder...... What was the  process for your hospital if this happened to you?????  I'm wondering if my suspicions are spot-on. &nb ...

One Has To Seriously Wonder About These Reported
Feb 07, 2013

It's surely not a coincidence that the employee factor is a link.  Where are they getting this personal contact information from?  Makes you wonder. ...

Has Anyone Ever Reported Someone For A HIPPA Violation? (sm)
Aug 02, 2010

The daughter of a friend of mine works in the clinic that I worked at for 18 years in medical records is known to read charts and then tell others about what she has read.  For example, someone who has an STD that she knows, she has told lots of friends about it and I have heard it myself.  Does anyone have any idea what happens when you report someone for a violation?  I am sure that they take the person's name who is reporting it but can you tell me what else is ...

State Taxes Taken Out Reported On W2 But I Live
Mar 02, 2013

I'm pretty sure my former employer made a mistake on my W2 or made a mistake by withholding state taxes.  I live in a state that has no state taxes.  My company is in a state tax state.  I just cracked open my W2 and it shows state tax withholding.  I checked last year's W2 for same company, state (theirs and mine), and nothing is in that box.  I'll be calling them, but does anyone kinow if there may have been a change I didn't hear about?  Or ...

QuadraMed (Duncan) Courtesy Of Misys (VD) Reported Mangers
Jun 05, 2013

Interesting!  So Constellation Softwares acquires QuadraMed which the CEO is Duncan James (our new CEO for MM) and supposedly QuadraMed courtesy of Misys (who Davenport and Princess used to work for and Allscripts and Misys merged) managers of QuadraMed are clearing out their offices and employees would be told how long they had left to work for the company which Duncan leaves as CEO of QuadraMed to join as CEO of MM.  My gosh, they all are sleeping together. ARTICLE:  Constellat ...

Self-reported Height And Weight WERE 5 Feet 5 Inches And 125 Pounds
Apr 18, 2014

1)  Self-reported height and weight WERE 5 feet 5 inches and 125 pounds OR 2)  Self-reported height and weight WAS 5 feet 5 inches and 125 pounds. The doc always dictates #2.   ...

Unpaid ICs
Aug 26, 2010

DIT Transcription in North Dakota ...

Doctors Reported To Their State Medical Board For Malpractice, How About Maldictation?
Jun 14, 2013

When a doctor repeatedly, deliberately makes vocal utterances that do not even come close to forming words, whose dictation cannot be deciphered by MTs with 20-30 years experience in his specialty, shouldn't this doctor be reported?  ...

Looking For Former DIT Unpaid ICs; Question For You Now That Tax Time Is Here
Jan 01, 2011

Oh, those 2 dreaded words – TAX TIME Over the past year it seems as though there were more and more MTSOs not paying their Independent Contractors (especially DIT), leaving those MTs with little recourse to collect their wages.  I have never had contact with DIT, so I am kind of blind in my assumptions, and I may be way off base. If I am, just ignore the rest of my ramblings.   I assume that as Independent Contractors working for DIT, the MTs were billing or invoicing DIT peri ...

Unpaid Insurance And Wages.
Aug 24, 2012

What would you think if you went to make a dental appt and were told you had no coverage due to non-payment by your employer and the insurance company cancelled you, but..... the premiums are still being taken out.  Or if you did not get your paycheck last payday or were $$$ short? ...

Unpaid 30 Minute Break And...
Jul 22, 2013

I don't mind having an unpaid 30-minute break, but the thing that bothers me about some of these companies is the fact that it is tiring sitting at a computer for 8 hours and getting only a 30 minute break.  If I want two more 15 minute breaks those can be worked in, but then I have to add back 30 more minutes to my time! I like to at least stretch ever hour or so.  :/  ...

13 Days Of Unpaid Leave
Sep 10, 2013

I thought it was only 5 before.   So sick of this place.  I might drop to 20 hours and give them the absolute minimum. ...

Okay, Another Question On The Unpaid Time Off
Dec 03, 2013

have to exhaust your PTO before you can use it? I can see my TSM saying that is only after PTO runs out. TIA. This doesn't really answer my question: Q.  How much time off without pay can I take per year? A.  M*Modal is providing five additional days off to use as unpaid excused absences. All HDS/SHDA will have the ability to take up to 13 unpaid days off each year.  These absences can be used for sickness, family emergencies, vacations or other activities. However, al ...

Can You Take An Unpaid Hiatus Of 1-3 Months?
Jul 09, 2014

Does anyone know if you can take a hiatus of 1-3 months, without pay of course, and still have your job? Not related to FMLA or anything like that, I just need a flippin break, but I don't want to actually quit. ...

Unpaid ADT/CC Information Experiment
May 20, 2015

So my experiement yielded, and this is a consevative estimate because I may have forgotten to track sometimes and, of course, by actually tracking cut my prouction way down.. I had 1093 characters or 16.81 lines rounded up to 17, which is $1.36 a day and roughly 346.8 dollars a year based on an estimated 8 cents a line and 51 weeks working. In the personal scheme of things, not a heck of a lot but it is 2-3 electric bills for me..but more importantly, multiply that bill by all the transciptionis ...

Mandatory HIPAA Training UNPAID
Jun 04, 2010

So I read the below post about the email circulating among some employers (including mine) about this mandatory class and test for HIPAA. This is an excerpt from what I received today in my inbox:  I am getting some questions about the mandatory HIPAA class being unpaid.  Let me clarify why this is the case.  Taking the class is mandatory, but unpaid because it is a legal requirement and can be taken at your own pace, on your own time.  We are actually helping you to protect ...

We Had A Discussion Earlier About Unpaid Work
Jun 07, 2015

And I was told that they "give" you extra in each report. I had a no dictation report and the line count is 0.02 of a line. Is that what you deem satisfactory for the unpaid work we do? ...

Has Anyone Sued An MTSO In A Different State For Unpaid Wages? Sm
Apr 17, 2013

I just briefly scanned through the small claim filing rules for here in Colorado, and it looks like I would have to file a claim in her state (Texas). I just wondered if anyone else had done this and if it was worth it. I am an IC and after months and months of never being paid on time, I was smart enough not to work much and so she only owes me a little over $300, but I hate to let her get by with stealing even that much from me. TIA ...

? Department
Jun 13, 2012

The patient was sent from the "integ" department to detox for alcohol detox.    ? department ?   Thanks. ...

There Goes Another MT Department. S/m
Nov 24, 2013

I have a sister who is the head of med rec in a hospital in Iowa. This hospital is part of a large system. They are moving to VR within the next year. Those MTs are worried about their jobs. I told my sister to give them a heads up - their $20+/hour jobs will be gone. Their superb benefits will be gone. I feel for them - this is happening to all of us - being paid peanuts for our experience and knowledge. They already have EMR in place and there are patients who, once they've log ...

IT Department
Feb 15, 2015

Where is mmodal's IT department located.  I called and the person I spoke hardly spoke English.  Is it in India or TN? ...