A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Shouldn't ICs be able to make their own hours? - frustrated

Posted: Jul 21, 2011

One of the reasons I got in the business in the first place was to make my own schedule. I thought that one of the main rights of an IC is you are able to set your own hours. Why does this not seem to apply to medical transcription???

IC hours - JC

[ In Reply To ..]
I've always said the reports dictate when I work. Do you mean your company tells you when to work?

yes, they absolutely do - frustrated

[ In Reply To ..]
The last time I tried to change my schedule I was told that I had to work certain hours on certain days. I'm being treated as an employee w/out any of the benefits. There was one instance where I had to leave early, and they assigned me some reports and said I needed to finish them before I could leave.

IC hours - JC

[ In Reply To ..]
Ugh. That's frustrating.
IC hours... - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
Doesn't sound like any IC job I've ever had!
No. This has been discussed...MANY times. Some may, - but it is NOT part of the definition of IC. NM
[ In Reply To ..]
x

Isn't that illegal? - just sayin

[ In Reply To ..]

why didn't you refuse? - curious

[ In Reply To ..]
They can only abuse your status if you allow them to.

Perhaps you need to not work for this client?

telling ICs when to work - biskie

[ In Reply To ..]
Nope if they tell you when to work, that is illegal. I have heard when they start doing that you are an employee and can sue for benefits and pay therein. All they can do is accept or not accept the ICs work is my understanding. Might be worth a chat with an employment attorney

Anyone have any ideas how I should proceed? - frustrated

[ In Reply To ..]
What I feel like doing is talking to management and giving them the opportunity to either let me make my own schedule or offer me an employee position. But I guess I would need to have something else lined in up in case they give me the boot. Right now i'm sitting at home while family is in town because I have to start the second part of my ridiculous split shift in an hour.
This isn't working for me anymore.

Just terminate your contract. They can do it to you, do it to them. - Hayseed

[ In Reply To ..]
If you contracted to make your own hours and they are forcing you to do otherwise, simply terminate. Right? That's how they would do it, right?

What does the contract YOU GAVE THEM say? - IC MT

[ In Reply To ..]
Does your contract that you had them sign when you took them on say what hours you will work?

If it's not working for you, stop working. Tell them you can no longer accept work from them. Simple.

Exactly. It is just that simple, even if you do go broke - suiting yourself. This is the real world. NM

[ In Reply To ..]
x

It does! - mt

[ In Reply To ..]
Set them. Clients (including MTSOs) don't have to use you for those hours, instead prefering another IC who will cover the hours they need.

No one ever said you couldn't set your own hours. You can. You can do whatever you want, as can your clients.

This is the problem with people who get into MT thinking A) I want to work from home and B) I can do it when I want.

Working at home only works if you realize it's a REAL job.

And as to naming your own hours, you have to decide then who to accept as clients. If you accept an MT service as a client, realizing they are a middle man and have obligations to THEIR clients, you need to ask up front if they need coverage for particular hours (and then if these are hours you don't want to work, decline the job); or you have to go find doctors/clinics/hospitals yourself, cut out the middle man, and work whenever you want. Oh and in case no one lets you know, that cut out the middle man also means you are responsible 24/7/365 :)

Clinic work - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
If you want to make your own schedule with a 24 hour TAT you need to find clinic work. That's what I do and I work whenever I want with an occassional phone call for STAT jobs.

well.... - frustrated

[ In Reply To ..]
I can't just stop working, I have bills to pay. I would need to have something else lined up first. I'm going to try and work something out with the company i'm with, in the meantime i'm looking around. I dug up my contractor agreement and there isn't anything on there about working certain hours. It just says transcribe "as needed."
what did you write in the YOUR contract that - you gave them
[ In Reply To ..]
If you are putting yourself out there as an independent contractor, you should be giving every client YOUR contract that states your rates, your TAT, what you do for how much money, who your security officer is, giving them a confidentiality agreement as well as HIPAA documents. Did you give these to your client?

So many MTs want to get mad at MTSOs for treating them like employees (and oftentimes that isn't even the case) and yet so few MTs have a clue what being an IC really means. It's not "I'll work whenever I want."

You're running a business and it sounds like you need to do a little more homework before you should be opening your business doors. Hopefully, they'll take you as an employee (do they offer employee status?)

There are many drawbacks to this too. - I had heard people

[ In Reply To ..]
make the 24 hour TAT sound great with clinic work. I had to take on multiple phyisicians to make it. Then, you get days having to work a whole lot of hours to get all the work done where they have sent in multiple dates of service or had busy days, working extremely late and extremely early. The hard thing is that it didn't matter what was going on with my schedule that day I had to complete the work.

I actually have gone to MT part-time because of this. The schedule, or lack thereof, was killing me. I work in a doctor's office doing something else and would not recommend anyone to switch over to clinic work. We are going EMR within a couple weeks. Government gives great incentives for this and nice penalities in a few years if they don't start using. We are having reps stop by constantly trying to sell their systems, and most of our referring notes we are getting in from other providers are on the point and click type systems, probaby upwards of 80-90%.

As an IC, you should have a contract - Maggie

[ In Reply To ..]
If your contract says you can work whenever you feel like it, regardless of workflow or TAT, then you can. If you sign a contract agreeing to work mornings, or evenings, or whatever, then you need to work the hours that you said you would work. If you don't have a contract, then you're not a very good IC or you would have drawn up a contract before you started.

Similar Messages:

How Do You Make Up NJA Hours With Lockout
May 27, 2010

With the new teamworks lockout/lockdown, how does one make up missed NJA hours when work eventually comes? If we are not scheduled to work, even though we send an NJA mail to support, we are not allowed to log in. Since I am new to Medquist, any help is greatly appreciated. ...

Is Anybody Able To Make FT Hours/lines With AP Lately? Nm
Jan 08, 2015

x ...

Impossible To How Many Full-time To Not Make Hours.
Jan 26, 2013

I haven't made by 80 hours per pay in quite a long time (almost a year).  I sure there are some of you out there, too.  They must not mind paying their portion of my benefits from health insurance to life insurance, STD, an on.  What is up with that?  I have never had a call saying I have to make my hours up or get called on the carpet for only sometimes putting in 50 hours or less.  I just don't get it! ...

Should I Or Shouldn't I...
Aug 11, 2011

I worked for a local hospital as a medical transcription clerk routing work and such to transcriptionist about 1-1/2 years ago. I left that position as I met someone in the transcription department at the hospital in the same department that allowed me to work from home.  I have been working for this person for 1-1/2 years subcontracting work. I just found out the same hospital has 2 open transcription positions in the same department which I am interested in. I am afraid that if I app ...

I Shouldn't Have Taken This Job (venting)
Oct 21, 2010

I actually like the job. The dictators are fine. I'm a month into the job and now in the comfort zone, past the breaking-in period. But this is my first time doing voice recognition, and the pay is too low.  I really didn't have any experience in knowing an acceptable rate for VR. It is my fault for accepting the pay, because they told me what the pay was before I accepted the job. I'm not trying to blame my job at all.  But I was just too eager to be getting a ...

Shouldn't I Hold Off
Jun 12, 2013

If one has never done any coding wouldn't it be better to wait till the schools are teaching ICD-10? ...

I Probably Shouldn't Ask This Too Loud
Jul 24, 2013

Particularly on the review of systems and physical examination, now stacking up to the left if it is supposed to do so, with headings and colons? ...

Shouldn't I Be The One Upset?
Mar 19, 2015

When I send an email that states, "I am OOW on the following accounts: Blah, Blah, Blah and Blah.  I will check back later." Why do I get an email back saying, "Did you check Blah account?" Ummmmm, it is in the list I sent you...  TSMs are sending out their famous backlogs....THEY should know I am OOW, but I feel almost guilty telling them I am OOW.  I have had TSMs tell me that no one else was OOW on such and such a date. Ummmmm, it is likely they are on different accounts. ...

Shouldn't AHDI Be Telling MQ
Mar 02, 2010

this is a very dangerous thing to do for patient care? ...

Fentanyl 50 Mg For A Colonoscopy - Shouldn't It Be Mcg?
Jun 08, 2012

nm ...

Boy, Synernet, You Really Shouldn't Let People
Mar 14, 2015

work off their regular hours for OT! I'm just astonished at all the nice work there is off of my regularly scheduled hours this week!! I thought that kind work was all gone! Got my lines so easily. What an eyeopener. Don't doctors rotate shifts they're on to different times of the day? And weekends? Why are mine always the same no matter what day? Now I know. Looking to leave now. This is totally unacceptible to me. I now know without a doubt I'm being assigned work. Crappy w ...

Abbreviating Words That Shouldn't Be Abbreviated?
Jun 18, 2011

How do you treat words that the physician abbreviates that shouldn't necessarily be abbreviated? For example, I'm transcribing for an ENT physician's assistant who routinely will abbreviate medications or conditions in her haste to speak quickly. In a dictation I'm working on now, the patient has "a perfed TM and is on Oflox. otic suspension" (the patient has a perforated TM and is on Ofloxacin otic suspension). I tend to remove the abbreviations and type out the full word ...

Alpha Hiring On Other MT Site, Should I Or Shouldn't I?
Feb 20, 2014

Alpha has an ad for ICs on the other MT site and I've seen some posting here that they may not be a good employer. Anyone know if they are okay to work for, pay on time, etc. Thanks. ...

Since The Quarter Ended 09/30, Shouldn't Our Webclock Reflect.....sm
Oct 09, 2013

The score for this quarter?  Mine is still showing my QA accuracy score exactly as it was prior to 09/30, which made me ineligible for the weekly production incentive bonus for the entire last quarter.  So now my "new" score for the quarter that ended 09/30 is 99.28%, which would mean I'm eligible for the weekly incentive bonus for this past week, right?  However, my Webclock timesheet shows the 98.64% score from before 09/30 and shows me with an incentive (Better Me Better W ...

Shouldn't All MTSOs Be Investigated By The Dept Of Labor?
Apr 04, 2015

Landmark:  They were sued with a class action for FLSA violation, for "willfull and reckless" nonpayment of overtime in 2011.  I have not seen a suit for minimum wage.  Anyone aware of any suits besides the one against Landmark?  ...

Just Applied To Nuance. Curious What Hours Most Of You Work And What Hours 2nd Shift Is?
Jul 10, 2012

Please don't discourage me from applying to Nuance.  I just lost my job today and I need a job BAD!  Plus, I've only got two semesters of college left before I graduate and move out of this field.  Anyway, can someone tell me what 2nd shift hours are? And I'm curious to know when most of you work. Thanks ...

Shesh. Been Sitting Here 6 Hours For 3-1/2 Hours Of Work.
Apr 17, 2013

Somehow, I think we should be getting paid for the time we are waiting between jobs, especially since the wait isn't fitting into the 15-minute wait period. - Of course, waiting put under work availability. ...

Department Of Labor Says 40 Hours Equals 40 Hours...
Sep 16, 2014

...check it out for yourselves. Employees are not independent contractors. If you signed up for a straight 8 per day, your time sheet should reflect only the breaks you take off the clock. They are so messing with you folks! ...

Is It Possible To Get 40 Hours' Work In 40 Hours?
Aug 09, 2014

If it takes more, how many more? I realize this is an answer dependent on many factors, but I'm talking in general terms. Thank you. ...

Worried About Being Able To Even Make What I Used To Make Doing
Apr 11, 2011

I seem to be spending an awful lot of time in VR documents, so I am confused as to why I am getting paid less for them.  This stupid VR system types whatever it thinks it might be hearing and sometimes doesn't type anything at all.  I hate this VR.  I am up to 1800 lines but usually do 2200-2500 a day on straight transcription.  I don't know how I am going to feed my children.  I am a single mom and the head of household.  Believe me the child support isn& ...

Less Than 24 Hours PT??
Nov 20, 2009

I understand with 24 hours you get PTO, but can you be scheduled for less than 24. That is a lot for a PT position. Most companies only require 20 per week. ...

Q8h Or Every Eight Hours?
Mar 12, 2010

Which is correct? I thought I had remembered something from the BOS (which I can't find in my office right now) that said if the dictator said q 8 hours then it should be spelled out as every eight hours. Is that correct or am I losing my mind? ...

Best Hours
Aug 28, 2010

I know there are so many on here who are fed up with Medquist.  But, can anyone tell me if there is any shift or days that work is usually available?  Overnight shift?  Evenings?  I have 2 friends who work for MQ and they are not out of jobs when they work.  (well, that's what they tell me).  They said it actually just depends on the account.   Is anybody here OK with MQ, maybe not perfectly happy, but not destitute either?  TIA ...

Every 4 Hours
Jun 29, 2011

so can someone clear me up about how to type q4h   ?? (as in every 4 hours).    thanks! ...

Only 8 Hours...
Dec 08, 2011

Ok, I'm not as fast as I used to be and the doctors keep giving names of physicians that are not on their list and are spelled different ways so I take the time to look them up because blanks are not a thing I like to leave on a report.  Today we get an email that we can no longer work off the clock which for me is a problem.  Do you take the time to look things up like that or what do you do to get past the OCD of trying not to leave a blank?  I feel like MQ is chasing ...

Q.6-8 Hours?
Apr 25, 2012

Doc says q. 6 to 8 hours with food.  Is that transcribed "q.6-8 hours"? Thanks for any help! ...

TTS - 8 Hours
Jul 15, 2012

I thought if we logged 7 hrs/day was considered okay, but now I'm getting notices that it is supposed to be 8 hrs/day - 8 hrs a day of actual transcription is pretty hard to concentrate - the mind and body has to take breaks! ...

So Far (2 Hours In) Don't Like DQS 7 -
Jul 24, 2012

Can we change the color of the audio highlight.  Mine is purple and it is driving me nuts.  It used to be yellow in the old DQS.  Thanks ...

Hours For FT Or PT? Sm
Sep 05, 2012

How many hours are considered FT?  How about for PT work?  Thanks. ...

PT Less Than 20 Hours. Possible??
Jul 16, 2013

As hard as it is for Nuance to get/retain employees has anyone every been able to negotiate for less than 20 hours PT with them? ...