A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Pulling Yourself Through Unlikelable Dictation - curious one

Posted: Aug 03, 2011

I have been transcribing over six years.   Lately, I have been finding myself procrastinating whenever a dictation comes up in my queue that I  don't really care for.  It's not necessarily that it is a difficult dictator but it may be the specialty (oncology in my case) or a dictator that has long gaps in dictating their report.  I know that's part of the job but I was wondering how do any you cope or what you do to make it through these to make these reports more "palatable"?

Unlikeable dictators - FL MLS

[ In Reply To ..]
Unlikeable dictators in my case. I usually vent all through their dictations. They cannot hear me!!! I call them names ***************, I swear at them and I try my best to get through them. (My poor dog knows when I have these certain dictators, she leaves the room) !!!! But that all helps me as I cannot avoid them.

Dictators I do not like - Old Pro

[ In Reply To ..]
I try to visualize their faces and remember that they are human, too, just like I am. Perhaps they are having a day that is twice as bad as the one I am having. Compassion always helps.

Take a deep breath - and repeat to yourself

[ In Reply To ..]
"this too shall pass!" Also works for other bad stuff in your life. Also see FL MLS response. LOL

Compassion - FL MLS

[ In Reply To ..]
Gosh I have certain doctors that have rough day̢۪s everyday I guess. If they could only talk!!!! No compassion here!!!!!
Not so compassionate - Alice
[ In Reply To ..]
I'm compassionate for someone who is occasionally having a bad day, but not so compassionate for those who are just plain rude, don't try or don't care, talk too fast, eat while dictating, dictate with loud background noises, misspell names of other persons and places, and even misspell medical terms (so why bother to spell it?), etc.

You are all too kind, IMHO. After all these years, I still do not accept that this is the way it has to be. Were we not so accepting, or if the dictating clinicians and facilities were routinely and ALWAYS charged more $$$ for reports dictated by rude or difficult practitioners, I believe that ways would have been invented to deal better with such scenarios. For instance, "assistants" with clearer speaking voices would have been assigned to dictate for those who do not seem to be able to speak clearly.

Money spoke, and some don't like typing, so SR was invented. SR works for those who write at home and prefer not to type from scratch, as well as saving money for those companies paying MTs for transcription.

In the same way that money and other preferences spoke, creating a customer base for purchase and use of SR, our refusal to deal with totally awful transcriptions might have spoken too. But now, we have taught them how to treat us, and they comply ever so willingly.

Just my opinion, of course. Why am I still here? Because, fortunately and most gratefully, I have found a place where 99% of the dictators are clear and respectful.
Agree with Alice - Not so compassionate
[ In Reply To ..]
Considering that the sloppy, careless dictator makes several times what the average MLS makes, the LAST thing he or she deserves is compassion for making a difficult job even harder and a paycheck even less. (Responsible dictating and some compassion for the human being doing the difficult job of transcribing should be preached TO them.)
"Not so" for sure. At least acknowledge that their job - is several times harder and more demanding and
[ In Reply To ..]
stressful than our little type-send-and-walk-away job.

Curious One, I don't always do it, but some of my yucks have been turned into "moneymakers," at least relatively, by investing extra time in templates, expander entries, etc. I do definitely find that if I can cruise through them efficiently I may not like a drearily redundant dictator, say, any more than before, but a lot of the irritation is replaced with satisfaction. I do this for money, after all. :)
You need to speak... - for yourself.
[ In Reply To ..]
A ''little type-send-and-walk-away job''?! Seriously? Anyone who considers MT as just a ''little type-send-and-walk-away job'' has not been subjected to an audit lately or the ever-changing commentary of QA (or maybe just produces substandard work themself). If you want to talk about ''stressful'', just ask a production MT what its like to produce a medical document with at least 98% accuracy rate from sloppy, careless dictation. ''Stress'' and all other lame excuses aside, fair is fair and if the MLS is held to high standards in her/his work, then the dictator should be held to equally high standards in his dictation.
Well said, Alice! - nm
[ In Reply To ..]
nm

Re: Dictators I do not like - Old Pro - - unlikeable dictators

[ In Reply To ..]
I try to visualize my OWN face when I discover that my next paycheck is smaller because of irresponsible dictators, unconcerned that another human's livelihood is impacted by their sloppy dictation. Compassion should be reciprocal. Can you seriously imagine the dictator shrugging off errors in a medical document with your suggestions: "Now, let me have compassion and take a deep breath. I will try to visualize the transcriptionist's face. She is human and may be having a hard day." Ridiculous! When errors occur, the MLS is held strictly accountable with no ''bad day'', ''only human'' excuses accepted. Just as we are dependent on the quality of dictation we are presented, the dictator should be held accountable.

Somewhat agree with all - curious one

[ In Reply To ..]
Thanks for the tips. Sometimes people do have a bad day every now and then. I will try build a better template or get samples for some of them. But I just wish some dictators re-learn how to dictate. We are not miracle workers. Only superman can hear when they dictate 50 feet away

I have always thought - Maggie

[ In Reply To ..]
that doctors should have a course in med school where they have to transcribe each other's dictation just to give them a sense of what it is like on our end- otherwise they really have no idea and many times forget it is a human typing what they say. We have a doctor who yawns repeatedly and will dictate an entire sentence in that yawn, and not repeat himself!! He gets tons of blanks and I guess has yet to pick up on why, or simply does not care. I think this is the reason so many transcriptionists yeild to the temptation of cherry-picking- but whenever I am tempted I just think about the person who will have to do it if I don't and it is not fair to them either. And our hospital weights some of the worst ones so that takes a little of the sting out of it, but no matter what they are extremely annoying and crazy-making. But I don't expect that will ever change and to demand that doctors follow the same standards that we do and have compassion and courtesy for us is not exactly realistic, imho.
Give them feedback - Alice
[ In Reply To ..]
What's wrong with giving feedback to those difficult dictators? If they have no idea how their dictation habits affect the output of the report, we can surely inform/correct/teach them, as a first step. Then, if they continue the bad habits, penalties could be imposed. Perhaps if this issue were handled seriously, the dictating clinicians might eventually comprehend how to dictate a clear report and comply with the requirements. If they completed higher education, I suspect that they are teachable.
Wouldn't it be a clue to a doc that he/she - curious one
[ In Reply To ..]
maybe dictating poorly if they are getting a ton of reports back with blanks? And depending on where an MT work, going directly to a doc about their dictation may not be appropriate, at least to me.

Similar Messages:

Do We Get Paid For Pulling In Standards?
Feb 10, 2012

my check was $100 less this pay and I am trying to figure out why.  I know I had some reports with standards so I am wondering if this was why.  Thanks for the help. ...

Trouble Pulling Up Their Line Counts For This Pay Period
Dec 10, 2012

Anyone having trouble pulling up their line counts for this pay period so far?  I am just trying to keep track and make sure I meet the quota but can only get one day's (today's!) numbers. Maybe just a glitch, hoping so! ...

Question About Pulling Physician's Name From The Database Into The Body Of The Report.
Dec 19, 2012

When in EditScript and using the Contacts list to copy a physician name into the body of the report, does anyone else find that sometimes (not always) the cursor locks up for a few seconds and you have to wait before you can move on?  If so, has anyone found a remedy other than just waiting, maybe some key to hit other than the spacebar? ...

H & P Dictation
Oct 22, 2011

Physician dictates, "Patient underwent a s/l urectral stent.  Any ideas anyone?  Thank you.  ...

EMR Dictation
Mar 15, 2013

How do you charge your physician for putting information into EMR?  Do you charge per patient?  per hour?  What is a fair price?  ...

How Do You Get Your Dictation?
Jul 16, 2013

How do you get your dictation? ...

Dictation App
Aug 06, 2014

I think it is safe to say that we can expect even worse sound quality now that the doctors are using a dictation app. I can say I have already noticed this on my accounts. Remember when doctors were encouraged not to dictate on their cell phone? Now it is being encouraged! Hard to believe MM cares about quality.... ...

BL Dictation
Oct 08, 2014

OK just putting a little lightness in the air, as I NEED IT.  Does BL, and you will know who I am talking about perhaps, have a hairball problem?  LOL!   ...

Dictation
Nov 04, 2014

Dear Doctor/Physician/Dictator Can you please dictate the report as if it was YOUR family member that the report is about? ...

HELP With Cardio Dictation
Oct 14, 2009

Please help if you can! The doctor is talking way too fast, I can't even understand it when I slow it down... I'm hearing the following:  "Patient had fiberoptic *****. ?Internal? tracheostomy was ******." Also having trouble with the following:"...interrupted 6-0 Prolene. The ****** were noted at completion of the repair and then the wound was irrigated and closed with interrupted 3-0 Dexon and running 4-0 nylon." Thanks   ...

Cardiology Dictation
Nov 30, 2009

The dictator is naming medications. One of them sounds like Colife, but when I research it I find nothing. Does anyone know what this medication could be? ...

From A Head Ct Dictation
Mar 09, 2010

(Philpha)contiguous (cyamal) images were obtained ... Thank you.   ...

75 Minutes Of Dictation
Apr 05, 2010

How long does it take to transcribe 75 minutes of dictation? ...

Pet Dictation Peeve
May 25, 2010

Ooooh!  This gets me.  This is an NP who is dictating acute care - "The patient comes in with a diagnosis of non-insulin dependent diabetes 'myelitis'."  Puhleeze!  The same dictator pronounces "organomegaly" as "organomeglea."  It's like hearing someone scratching their fingernails down a blackboard.  Shouldn't these people have had enough schooling to be able to sound out words?! ...

Emotional Dictation
Jul 12, 2010

Just had a dictator sobbing and choking up while dictating on an AML toddler with a poor prognosis.  Dictation was still clear enough, but it was hard to keep from not choking up myself.  If I was an MD, that would be the part of the job I don't think I would be able to handle. ...

Yawning Over The Same Bit Of Dictation
Sep 12, 2010

Had to leave a blank due to yawn (the doc, not me, although this can be a snooze fest at times).  I was hoping to fill in the blank later on when I got to the assessment.  Darn if the doc didn't yawn again over the same thing.  What are the chances of that?  Oh, well. ...

Charging For EMR Dictation
Sep 21, 2010

Does anyone know the standards for charging for dictation into an EMR (SOAPware).  There's really no way to check line count.  Do you charge by how many minutes are dictated?  I'm in a quandry and think I'm being taken advantage of.  Thanks in advance.  ...

Clinical Dictation
Oct 29, 2010

Opinions, please. Does anyone know if it's possible to get work at home employment doing clinical dictation only?  If so, do you think it's possible with only basic medical transcription training? ...

Dictation On Urology
Nov 15, 2010

transcribing dictation on urology.  Rectal: On digital rectal exam, the prostate is flass without firmness or nodularity. I can't seem to make out if the doctor is saying flass or flash or flac. He is definitely saying without firmness or nodularity. ...

Understanding Dictation
Jan 04, 2011

Thanking you ...

Quality Of Dictation
Jan 09, 2011

I work for MedQuist.  Why is it some days I get pretty decent dictation with some bad ones mixed in there and then all of a sudden there will be days I have bad quality dictation all day? Anybody else? ...

800 Number For Dictation
Jun 13, 2011

Does anyone use a good 800 service for multiple dictators (5-10)?  Wading through the info on the web is really confusing so I figured I would go with a referral. TIA.     ...

InScribe? More Than One Job In Dictation...
Jun 06, 2011

Just learning the ropes with InScribe and have a question.  If a job/file has more than one letter/note in the dictation and you have saved the first one, how do you clear the screen for the next letter?  I tried selecting next field but that didn't work.  I'm supposed to save each one separately so...any help would be greatly appreciated.   I did follow the instructions from the tech guy and it made a copy of the 1st letter but still didn't see where to ...

Dictation Systems
Jun 27, 2011

Does anyone have any experience with Phone-In Dictation System by Dictran.  They advertise a Just-Getting-Started Special for $3,995.00.  I would appreciate some input from someone before investing that much money, or does anyone know of another phone-in system where the doctors don't need any special equipment, just a telephone to call in their dictation?  Thank you for any assistance.  ...

Difficult Dictation
Jul 12, 2011

Can someone please advise how to handle one physician in practice who mumbles and rambles?  I believe someone has spoken to him before, but it has not gotten better.  I have many years of experience, but must leave many blanks in his dictation.  This is very frustrating and time consuming for me.  Thanks ...

Echo Dictation
Jul 23, 2011

For those who work with echo dictation -  from what I understand, it's useful for straight transcribing, but does it work in VR? I'm thinking of investing in it, but can't understand how it would be useful in a VR program, which is where everything will be in just a few years.  I would think it wouldn't work in a non-Word program since you can't cut and paste, and even if it did, you'd be editing twice.  Thanks for any info! ...

Podiatrist Dictation
Aug 14, 2011

s/l "plantar tool of the right heel" Thanx in advance ...

Dictation In Minutes
Oct 04, 2011

Does anyone know what 100 minutes of dictation equals in lines per 8-hour shift? ...

Dictation Quality
Jul 17, 2012

Why is it always the massively long jobs that have to have horrible dictation quality or horrible dictation?!? M*Modal's dictation system leaves something to be desired under the best of circumstances, but it always seems the long ones are particularly awful, or maybe that's just my luck! :( ...

MT Job Dictation Test
Nov 08, 2011

My apologies, it won't happen again. ...