A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Not MModal but tragic result of outsourcing - Disgusted

Posted: Jan 07, 2013

I wish every American could see this story and someone put a stop to this outsourcing.  People are dying because of it!

http://www2.wkrg.com/news/2012/dec/14/140-million-verdict-against-thomas-hospital-ar-5170702/

They can,,,post on FB, I did yesterday - nm

[ In Reply To ..]
x

Wrong conclusion - old and burned out

[ In Reply To ..]
I am also opposed to off-shoring but the reason for this death was not off-shoring, it was the result of the physician(s) involved not taking the time to review and sign the report and the hospital forwarding the report without a signature. The MT, who that may be, cannot be held responsible.

It still brought out other good points - nm

[ In Reply To ..]
x

It certainly did - old and burned out

[ In Reply To ..]
but if the doctor and the hospital had done their jobs properly, the off-shore transcription would not have been the issue. Even if the work had been done in the U.S., there is still a chance there could have been an error and the doctor would have needed to review it. I'm sorry to say this but I think that unless the errors are so frequent and so egregious that it requires too much physician/hospital time to deal with them, they will keep trying to save their 2 cents per line.
I was thinking same - USAMT
[ In Reply To ..]
And wasn't it a med dose? Insulin, I think, a dose that really can be anything, not like other meds where MT or dose-giver sees a red flag on an obvious incorrectly dictated/transcribed number.

agree - nm

[ In Reply To ..]

I would have to agree with this statement. - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
Yes, offshoring is a problem but that could have been transcribed just as well by an MT in the USA or it could have been a speech rec job that went unedited in that portion.

The physician is ultimately responsible, and I'm kind of tired of people assuming it was simply from offshoring. Many MTs make critical errors but it is the responsibility of the author of the report to read over it and sign it off.

Should the MT have questioned the units? Probably. Ultimately though, we as MTs are not physicians and we are not authors of the reports either.

It makes me sick to my stomach to see these types of errors but there are other safeguards as well, for example, dangerous abbreviations, sending it through with a blank.

The other thing I find odd is that the nursing home staff themselves did not question this unit of measurement. One would think a nurse would know more than an MT.

I just see a lot of holes in this story and it doesn't necessarily solely relate to the MT not in the US.

Sorry to burst everyone's bubble, but the blame lies on the physician and the nurse administering the drug, not the MT.

Suprised at posts - me

[ In Reply To ..]
This was a tragedy all the way round.

As transcriptionists, I am suprised at some of these replies, especially in a field, where we are losing work due to VR, EMR point-and-click systems, etc. I am sorry, but it was initially the MT's responsibility. I personally market myself and services as a "third pair of eyes" and do think it is our responsibility, as what is transcribed, including errors, can be carried over from the initial reports to others.

Case in point: I transcribe operative/procedure notes for a surgery center, the owner of which I transcribed his office work prior to EMR. They implant drug delivery systems. One day while pulling info from an office consult for an operative note, I noticed a HUGE narcotic dose error, enough to kill the patient several times over. I knew the transcriptionist who transcribed this and contacted her, pointing the error out. She stated it was not her job to look up drug dosages, which I told her it was (I had already fired her from transcribing work for me for pretty much the same thing). The physician's office then saw the error, and the service she worked for was fired. She is out of a very high-paying job, the service owner (who also transcribed on the account) and several other MTs also lost their jobs. She cannot find another job and especially at that pay rate.... The patient is alive though, thank goodness. Ironically, same physician's office, the physician assistant was fired, again, due to incorrect doses.

Yes, it was the physician's responsibility and the nurse's to double check, but they sometimes do not catch errors. Part of the MT's job description is to flag errors/inconsistencies. It is unfortunate this was a fatal error.
to the MT credit - still say it ends with the dr
[ In Reply To ..]
The MT transcribed Levemir 80 units. I take Levemir - 80 units. I'm not dead. The MT only has what she/he is given to work with.

The DOCTOR knew if this particular patient should have only a very miniscule amount of insulin. It was HIS order. HE should have been the one to make sure it was correct.

How many times have you listened over and over and OVER to see if a doctor is saying 15 or 50? Sometimes you just don't know. You check the dosages and sometimes they can both be valid. As an MT, I'm highly skilled, but I'm not a mind reader. I don't get to know the patient's entire medical story. I don't get to know if a doctor is trying something off label. I don't get to know what he's THINKING unless he clearly communicates that to me.

I'm sorry this woman died, but IMO, the doctor is who should be shouldering the blame.
when a transcriptionist is told to type "verbatim" - and is "dinged" for not doing so
[ In Reply To ..]
with such things as "and", "the," and comma placement, and the doctor dictates 70 mg instead of 70 mcg, it is totally on the doctor first, the MTSO second for demanding verbatim transcription. It is not up to the transcriptionist to "correct" or change anything other than what the doctor speaks, as per punitive QA and the directions of the MTSO ad nauseum. The transcriptionist is not allowed to make those kinds of changes or decisions.
Editing.... - me
[ In Reply To ..]
Then shame on that MTSO. I have my own accounts and am expected to "use my head" and catch and flag their mistakes, which they deeply appreciate, and I am compensated for..... I have full editing privileges. I get in trouble for not flagging.

Yes, it was the dictating physician's responsibility and the nurse's, but I believe it is ours also.

terrible - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
I don't see this as an outsourcing or offshoring problem, however.

First of all, numerical errors like these are made by U.S. MTs. Second, presumably these documents are overseen by duly fluent speakers and checked against the sound file. Third, a human being at the hospital, like a nurse or the discharge planner, ought to be reviewing the discharge summary for completeness sake. Fourth, a DOCTOR signs off on the whole mess.

It is an overall lack of consciousness, lack of conscientiousness, lack of respect, lack of attention, and lack of oversight that makes these tragic errors possible. Care and attention at any step in this process could have prevented this terrible event.

old news - in the grand scheme

[ In Reply To ..]
of things.

The REALITY, however, is that this physician should have been checking his reports before he attached his signature to them. The fact that he didn't is not the fault of the MT or MTSO IMO.

People have been dying due to medical mistakes since the beginning of time. On this one, MTs want to blame the process when in reality, bottom line is the physician needs to READ every report instead of throwing on an autosignature and calling it a day.

and - errors

[ In Reply To ..]
A. Why didn't someone who was eligible to be passing meds and should have known better -- catch the med error?

B. Why didn't the doctor catch the error?

C. Why didn't utilization review catch the error?

This is SOOOOO not about this report having been transcribed in India.

The transcription error was agregious but there are so many stops along the way from transcription to utilization that should have caught this error.

Errors - MTtoo

[ In Reply To ..]
Regardless of who is responsible, and yes I do agree it was the physician/staff, etc., other than an MT, BUT, the first line states transcription done in India and that is a strong statement. They are blaming the MT in India. Again, you have to realize, J Q Public, doesn't get what we do and to hold a doctor accountable for an oversight????? Of course the doctors don't read those reports or nurses question the dosage, like everything else in medicine, it is a business and they are not in the business of caring or paying particular attn. The nurses want to put their shift in and be done; the doctors are disgruntled as well. This class action sit won't change things at all as far as off shore transcription, but it at least makes it sound like the blame lies in sending the work to India! Big deal, I know, but it's something.
not placing blame where it belongs will not fix the problem - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
this isn't about India. It's about shoddy care, lack of quality assurance, and lack of attention.
exactly - India is not the issue
[ In Reply To ..]
I hate to see people focusing on or dwelling on the fact that this particular error was done by an MT in India. I can tell ya, these same mistakes get made every single day by MTs here.

There are enough people whose eyes touch that report that it's absolutely inexcusable the error was not caught.
This abbreviated article neglects to mention what original article did... - the amazingly low quality standards in India.
[ In Reply To ..]
"Finkbohner said the hospital saved 2 cents per line of text by using the outside firm. But he said it came at a price: Testimony indicated that the Indian firms operate under quality standards that are one half to one twelfth that of the United States in terms of acceptable error rate."

So even if a U.S. MT could have made the same mistake, the odds are MUCH greater that such an error would come from India.

The shorter article that the OP posted is the first time I've seen that there were "three critical errors," though. I wonder what the other two were besides the dosage error?

Similar Messages:

Lab Result
May 08, 2010

Doctor dictates: On admission the patients white count is 3 thousand 12 hundred.  How should I type that? 3.12? Last day of the week, I'm tired.  Thanks for any help ...

EKG Result Help Please
May 28, 2010

EKG done today shows normal sinus rhythm, rate is 72, normal axis, s/l 9 dynastic T waves in 2, 3, and F compared to 5/1/08.  No significant change.    ...

EKG Result Help!
Aug 02, 2010

Normal ventricle size, moderate LVH, particularly (s/l "of septin") near the base.  Excellent LV function of 75 percent, normal RV size, and systolic function.  Normal left atrial and aortic root size.  Mild thickening of (s/l "mitral cording or mitral cordy") without significant mitral insufficiency.  Normal appearing aortic valve, normal appearing tricuspid, and (s/l "pulmathonic") valves with mild insufficiency at both locations by Doppler.  I don' ...

MRI Result
Sep 16, 2010

Talking about areas of the brain, and she says something that s/l "optichiasm." Thanks! ...

Endocrine Lab Result Help Needed, Please!
Jul 22, 2010

Gosh, so confused but think part of this word may be cut off; here is what I'm working with: "...from 06/14/2010 revealed T4, S/L CYTAROXIN and cortisol all within normal limits..." "Cytaroxin" ring any bells with anyone? TIA! ...

Can Fuzzy Result Be Turned Off?
Feb 25, 2014

Can our cc look up be put back the way it was?   Thanks in advance. ...

Ortho - Word In Xray Result
Jan 07, 2014

Dictated: X-ray of the right hip demonstrates solid union with additional remodeling. Fracture lines are no longer visible. _____ s/l "high-roy" position is unchanged.  Patient's diagnosis is status post ORIF of intertrochanteric fracture and subsequent subtrochanteric fracture. I suppose it could be "however,".... but it does not sound like all the other "howevers" that come out of his mouth.Any ideas ? thanks! ...

How Does A 1.0 Major Error Result In 5 Percent Off?
Jan 22, 2015

I had a horrible dictation, could barely hear and therefore, according to the auditor, I missed where he said "white" female and left it out.  They marked it as 1.0 major error and gave me a percentage of 95 percent! Cannot wait to find another job more fun and certainly more rewarding!!! ...

IgE Test For Aspergillus Fumigatus Result Was S/L Clovaden. TIA
Feb 13, 2011

xx ...

Please - Outsourcing
Aug 08, 2013

If it wasn't for outsourcing, we wouldn't have jobs. The hospitals are outsourcing to us. There is a difference between "outsourcing" and "offshoring." ...

Outsourcing Backlash
Nov 02, 2009

Medical transcription is not the only thing being outsourced.....Lots of info to Google re Boston Hyatt Hotels replacing long time housekeeping staff with people the staff trained.  It seems that everying, from the governor's office down, is outraged and want the housekeepers reinstated.  Hospitality Staffing Solutions are paying the new workers $8 per hour and no benefits.  The original housekeepers were making $14-20/hour with benefits and pension.   ...

Outsourcing Fiasco -
Nov 24, 2009

Click on link.  UK patient medical records end up on black market. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1221186/Private-medical-records-sale-Harley-Street-clinic-patients-files-outsourced-input--end-black-market.html#ixzz0UVTq0qNI ...

DSG/MedQuist/Outsourcing
Jan 24, 2010

Can anyone tell me how closely affiliated DSG and MedQuist are, and if DSG outsources to India?  We all know MQ outsources, but I'm having trouble getting information. Thinking about working for DSG, but I don't want to go anywhere that has any affiliation whatsoever with MQ.  I've heard DSG uses MQ's software, just wondering how far they are in cahoots with the Q on other things, like outsourcing to India. ...

Outsourcing To India
Jun 15, 2010

On numerous occasions over the past year I was told by my CCM that the reason they are outsourcing to India is because there is a shortage of qualified MTs because the average age of an MT is 55 and they are starting to retired.  Like the infamous ***** and is ridiculous claim about 650 lph on ASR, that MTs have an IQ of about 6.    ***** Do not name/identify individuals.  Moderator ***** ...

NEW NBC SHOW ABOUT OUTSOURCING
Aug 31, 2010

I JUST WANT TO VENT.  I don't remember the exact name of this new NBC show making a comedy out of outsourcing - but I think we all need to find out who or where to write and tell them OUTSOURCING OVERSEAS IS NOT FUNNY!!  From what I gather from the ads the jobs go to India (I believe) and it's supposed to be so funny.  It's not freakin amusing in the least.  We aren't the only industry who have been royaly SCREWED by big companies.  T ...

OSi (Outsourcing Solutions, Inc)
Oct 12, 2010

Anyone heard about or work for OSi (Outsourcing Solutions, Inc)?  Any info would be appreciated! ...

Hospitals/outsourcing
Oct 15, 2010

Currently, I have a FT job w/a very large hospital, actually multiple hospitals combined.  We all once worked in the office; however, they sent us all home to work.  There are about 130 hospital transcriptionists.  We also outsource a lot of work to a large company.  There have been so, so many changes - everything from new management, VR, pay for production.....Communication amongst co-workers has disappeared.  Management doesn't respond.  I'm really wond ...

Ever Wonder What Clients Would Think About Doing Their Own Outsourcing?
Oct 26, 2010

Just thinking out loud here.  I know many practices probably do their own outsourcing to MTs at home. Why not more?  It must be cheaper for them with higher quality work, personalized service, etc.  Some hospitals even hire MTs to work from home rather than use an MTSO. How can we, as the MT community, reach more clients/practices.  Surely they have a liason in the office who handles the direction of their transcribed reports, in-house editing; someone who could do ...

Outsourcing Overseas
May 10, 2012

I just saw a comercial on TV last night that says Mitt Romney outsouced to call centers overseas. That really upsets me and I for one will remember that when I go to the polls. I am shocked and apalled. He must need educated on the fact that Americans jobs are going overseas. ...

Parable About Outsourcing
Jul 15, 2012

Just the link. ...

Transcription Outsourcing, LLC
Aug 13, 2012

Has anyone started working here on their radiology account?  Any information? ...

Coding Outsourcing
Sep 30, 2012

MTs come here for opinions on whether coding will go the way of transcription.   Many coders give their opinion.  Many feel safe, some don’t know, and many see many opportunities within the field to move about and are not worried.   There you have it.  Why argue?  The MTs argue that the coders are wrong and try to show that it will happen and is happening.  We gave our opinion, we know how we feel, and we are IN the field.  Are you trying to war ...

A Thought On Outsourcing
Dec 08, 2012

Just a thought...if they are going to outsource our US jobs to India, then give THEM the ESL dictators from India!!  I don't care for them. ...

Fatal Outsourcing.
Dec 15, 2012

See link.  http://blog.al.com/live/2012/12/fatal_outsourcing_thomas_hospi.html ...

This Is What I Don't Understand About Outsourcing
Jan 07, 2013

How can medical records which are so closely guarded in this country be sent to another country for transcription.  I think that most patients would be against having their sensitive medical information going to another country.  It doesn't seem that Mmodal could even outsource.  Is it because the public doesn't know? ...

Taxed For Outsourcing
May 08, 2013

...to those stiff tax penalties Obama was supposed to levy against companies that outsourced jobs?  If he, in fact, kept his promise, it doesn't seem like Nuance is bothered by it at all. ...

Outsourcing Coders
May 24, 2013

With all of this outsourcing of MT/Editors, what does the future look like for medical coders?  I have heard that Nuance has developed software to "assist" the coder.  My concern is that it is going to REPLACE the coder.  Any thoughts?  ...

Editorial Regarding Outsourcing
Aug 21, 2013

http://www.abqjournal.com/211443/opinion/unmh-outsourcing-an-economic-decision.html ...

Outsourcing Signs??
Jan 10, 2014

Hi everyone, new to this forum.  I work for a hospital and a lot of us are getting a bad vibe lately, we work from home but we are noticing little things happening, we keep losing our connections, Joblister keeps disconnecting and we are told the firewall is being updated.  Was wondering if anyone noticed little things like this before they were outsourced.  Thank you ...

Outsourcing To Nuance
Jun 26, 2015

Just found out the hospital I work for, along with the rest of the hospitals in the group nationwide, is outsourcing everything to Nuance.  Does anyone besides a troll have anything good to say about Nuance? And what is this "grid" thing--quality incentives no matter how fast/slow you transcribe? If you don't want their benefits, do you get more cpl? ...