A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

New to this board learning about MT looking at options as a career alternative - Jean

Posted: Dec 28, 2012

Good morning or afternoon everyone 

As I have run through a list of companies that hire medical transcriptionists I found on the website Rat Race Rebellion (a work at home website) I was directed to this forum and I must say it is a wealth of information so I am glad I have found it !

I am in Kentucky and graduated with an Associates degree last year in medical billing and coding hoping that would give me a leg up on my resume aside from my experience just in healthcare insurance customer service. I have had trouble finding a company willing to hire me since I am yet to be certified as a professional coder and also aside from my internship I don't have any experience. I am sure there are a few of us who have run into that circumstance too and there are probably the same hurdles with MT too. But I am willing to give any and all options a look. 

All I have right now especially with the holidays is time to research things and give myself as many options as possible. I am happy to see there are some companies who will take a chance on someone who is a graduate with no experience. I am looking at starting the MT program through CareerStep/Everett College early next year. Thank you have a great New Year !

Sorry, but sorry to hear it. - A lot of us rats in MT

[ In Reply To ..]
(I say that because we are pretty much treated like vermin any more) are racing to get off this sinking ship.

I would not consider MT a career option... - and I certainly would not pay for a program

[ In Reply To ..]

Paying for a Program - Jean

[ In Reply To ..]
At this point I need a job and because of my gap in employment a lot of companies aren't willing to look at me face to face and interview me. This time of year a lot of companies are hiring for warehouse work and temp employment. I am just trying to do what I can to keep my home and I would just hope there is a company who would take a chance on me if I didn't have experience but they are few and far in between

I'm currently employed (as an MT) and can't get - interviews, either. There are - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
several reasons for this. One is the economy, and the fact that every job, in every field, has hundreds of people apply for even the most menial job. When people with Masters degrees are applying for secretarial jobs, I don't stand a snowball's chance in H___ of getting even a callback, let alone an interview.

The other problem is just being an MT. I'm trying to get out of the field, am currently working, have no gaps in employment, and yet to most outside industries, my 35 years as an MT is all but worthless.

Of course, everyone's experiences and needs are different. If you've got your heart set on MT and nothing else, all you can do is give it your best shot. But right now there's the problem of competition for every single job, even the crappy ones like MT. They're getting pretty particular about what they want: Fantastic MT school training, 1-3 years' experience - but often not one iota MORE than 3 years' experience. And only a couple places hire recent graduates. You'll pay your dues working for those companies, but if you don't need the money to live on, and MT is more or less a hobby, then you can still learn under those circumstances, but it's a very low-paid,aggravating field right now.

Most of us can make a better living at an $8/hour job at McDonald's than we can working tons of unpaid overtime as an MT.

I think your best option - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
Would be to sit for both the CCS and CPC exams and get your coding certifications! There are a lot more places willing to hire a new coder who holds both credentials than a new MT.

Jean- looking for new career - gltrgrami

[ In Reply To ..]
Amen to that. Stay away from this career. Run and don't look back.

The problem is, MT is no longer a *career*. - Its just underpaid sweatshop labor. N/M

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

Agree entirely. - NM

[ In Reply To ..]
x

See message... - MT

[ In Reply To ..]
It is a common problem when finishing coding school to have difficulty getting the much needed 2 years' experience. Have you tried networking locally, going to AHIMA chapter meetings, etc.?

If you really want to eventually have a career in coding, medical transcription is not going to help you. Your best bet is to, as I said above, network locally. I would also recommend trying to get a job at a local hospital, any job, as they often hire from within. You can take a fast and easy course, like phlebotomy, for example, and should be able to market yourself better with regards to office jobs and/or hospital jobs. You already have the core education requirements for many careers in healthcare.

If, as you said, you need a job now in order to keep your house, medical transcription is definitely not going to help you. Even if you complete a program and find a job, you will not begin to make even a remotely decent wage for several years... and that is assuming jobs will be available and pay will be fair (which it really is not anymore). There are many of us with years of experience who cannot even get replies to our resumes. Whatever you do, do not invest any money in medical transcription.

check out these MTStars links - some good positive and negative info - Des

[ In Reply To ..]

http://forum.mtstars.com/442087.html

http://forum.mtstars.com/442094.html

http://forum.mtstars.com/434221.html

This is the New MTs link (same as the New MTs tab on the left)
http://forum.mtstars.com/newmts/
Scroll all the way down and click the November (Nov) link for more good threads.

Similar Messages:

Alternative Career
Jun 15, 2010

Hello, All: While helping my son research possibilities for his career choice, we found out that ultrasonography only requires two years of education and the median pay is around $40K-$50K.  You don't have to be licensed and can take the job anywhere in the country.   Not bad, huh?  Wanted to pass that information along to any frustrated MTs who are considering getting out.  I woudln't mind doing that myself.  Dental hygienists make even more and also o ...

Need Advice On Career Options
Jul 29, 2011

I have been an MT for 12 years.  When I first entered it was GREAT!!!  My pay has decreased so much during the years and it seems like the work is less and less.  I am a hard worker and I am tired of fighting to survive.  I am thinking about different career options and would like to go back to school.  My top two picks are physical therapy assistant or radiology technologist.  Both are a 2-year degree.  However, they are hard to get into, long waiting lists, ...

Looking For Career Options, Exploring Coding
Jul 11, 2011

I walked into my community college and asked an advisor to give me a list of choices of careers I could study locally that would be quick. My sole purpose is to re-enter the working world as fast as possible. Medical Billing / Coding was one of the options. A friend reffered this site to me in response to an MT oportunity and, as if my prayers were answered, I noticed the Coding / Billing forum which has answered many questions. However, I have more, I always do. How d ...

PA As Alternative To MT
May 19, 2010

I have been researching PA training as an alternative to MT in the recent weeks.  I do not see getting another 25 years out of this profession which I once knew as a great way to make a living. In my state (GA) it does not appear that we have many PAs, only NPs.  It seems to be that way across all specialities as far as I can tell.  Does anyone know why this is the case?  Are PAs more expensive to have on staff?  Are NPs thought of as more respected in certain ...

Alternative For
Sep 19, 2012

I am hoping someone can point me in the right direction...I need to test for a company and my expressscribe has expiried and it won't let me download another free trial...are there any other programs that offer a free trial that I could use? Thank you very very very much! ...

Alternative To ExpressScribe
Sep 29, 2012

I desperately need an alternative to ES.  I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling for the free trial version several times.  I finally kept getting a message that I could no longer download the free trial, so I purchased the Pro version because I was promised that I was also paying for tech support.  The program keeps freezing up.  I am having an awful time loading files.  Yesterday afternoon I was trying to load files and it took me an entire 4 hours to get 15 files loaded with no more ...

Alternative To Nuance?
Sep 12, 2014

Are there any companies other than Nuance that would provide a semi-decent wage, no FIESA, a computer and work?  I have been working for this company for 3 years now, and it only gets worse.  The nit-picking on QA, slow down to "get it right", then get chastised for lines being low.  No way you can re-read every report.  99.5 is pretty dang high for the quality of the dictators and sound quality.  I am really, really tired of making nothing.  After all, I only ...

Alternative To Express Scribe?
Jul 18, 2012

I am looking for an alternative player to Express Scribe.  Every since I upgraded the last few seconds of every single dictation are cut off.  When I play them in Windows Media Player I hear the whole dictation.  Obviously I cannot use WMP without a footpedal (or can I somehow?).  Please help. ...

Alternative For Doctors To Dictate...
Jul 24, 2014

I am moving soon and need to find an alternative way for the doctors to dictate where it is made into a voice file that can either be sent automatically or accessed from a site.  I have a system for that using NCH Dial Dictate and Express Delegate, but not sure I can transfer the numbers they are using to another state, so trying to figure out alternatives to an old desk top computer with windows XP, modem and phone ports.  Geek Squad told me they can't even get phone ports for mo ...

PT'ers Have No NJA Options
Nov 28, 2014

So, being a PT'er, I have to stick around the whole shift waiting for jobs?  There is no option for PT'ers as we do not accumulate paid time off.  This is pretty crummy and really unfair.  If I am expected to sit here for 8 hours doing nothing, I should get paid something for my time. ...

Interesting Alternative To Medical Transcription
Jun 09, 2010

It is so interesting that I found this today on Craigslist, because I was just thinking about what kind of other services I could offer on a part time IC basis...   Strada,Inc. is a professional Disability Resource Center that coordinates services for disability counselors and coordinators in education, business and social services nationwide. We currently have room to add more academic transcriptionists to our team. We have part-time placements for independent contractors in Salem and Po ...

Is There A Free Alternative To Express Scribe?
Sep 21, 2013

Is there a free player similar to Express Scribe? ...

Job Options Besides MT And Coding?
Jul 12, 2010

If, as many indicate here, MT and coding are not the way to go, then what would be a good option for a job in the healthcare field? ...

E-mail Options
Jun 18, 2012

Within the next couple weeks, MModel will be upgrading DQS in my region, so I finally was able to buy a brand new computer with Win7, rather than refurbs with Win XP.  Until they "flip the switch," I'm still using my old computer, but did get a new laptop and have been exploring Win7. I've discovered that Outlook Express is now defunct!  What email programs is everyone using.  I'm not crazy about Gmail or Yahoo.    ...

A New Company & Options For Spellchecker
Jun 29, 2010

I started with a new company and I did not have spellcheck, so I ordered it and it was quite expensive for the 2010 one. Now I found out that when I am in their program they are using their own. This has really ticked me off because I was TOLD that I needed to download a spellchecker and now I cannot send it back because I have downloaded it. Is there anyway that I can use this spellchecker instead of theirs? Any feedback will be appreciated. ;) ...

Health Insurance Options Available Now To Anyone
Jan 30, 2011

To those of you who desperately need insurance now, here is a great place to look for temporary insurance.  If you eventually find out that COBRA is not going to happen or LM jerks you around so long you miss the deadline, you can still qualify for Uninsurable Risk insurance depending on the State you live in.  Some of these plans may even be cheaper than COBRA, which is something you might want to look into.   It is definitely worth your time to check this out instead of just wa ...

Checking/unchecking Options
Mar 04, 2011

Is it just me, or does it seem like every time I have audio highlighted and the one below it checked under Tools/Options, that I have to go back in and uncheck them because some dictator is putting things out of order.  I give up!  I guess I'll just have to leave them unchecked.  Anyone come up with an easier solution?  I can't think of any. Little things are irritating me tonight. ... ...

Office365 Email Options
Apr 04, 2015

Was snooping through the options. Under the 2nd options on the drop-down list, the "reply option" default is "reply all." I changed mine to no, just to be on the safe side. Under "layout" is where you can set up your signature block.  ...

Opinions/options For Headset
Jun 27, 2015

My headset is worn out has wires showing (again).  I have taped it numerous times, but this last time the sound quality is not good.  I have been trying unsuccessfully to replace because I have really tiny ears and the ones advertised as "designed to fit all ears" usually end up falling out anyway and back they go for a refund.  I would just replace the cord if it didn't cost as much as a whole new set.  Tried the ones for children, but the sound quality is not good eno ...

If One Is Not Meeting Production Requirements, What Are My Options And Theirs?
Sep 06, 2013

N/A ...

Advice On Andrews School Tuition Options.
Sep 04, 2012

Hi. I am very interested in attending Andrews school for coding. The only problem is I may not be able to pay in full at the time of enrollment. Has anyone done the payment option and if so how did it work for you? Thanks. ...

Moving To No Mans Land Aka Paradise.. Internet Options Suggestions Needed!
Oct 21, 2010

I am only able to find a privately owned local phone company in this small town to offer Internet, through the phone, requires a landline (which I really did not need). Pricing: $100.  For 750 min long distance, call waiting, caller ID, DSL - 3MB.  VERY expensive just for internet and phone line!Insane...ALL calls ANYWHERE except within just two small communities within 5 miles of our new house are long distance!  So, we will be using our cell phones for all calls. There are no ot ...

Career Step - Problems Passing Career Step MT Testing
Mar 05, 2012

Anyone have problems passing Career Step MT testing.   ...

Fine, We Will Just Post On The Main Board Or Company Board Then... Nm
Oct 12, 2014

Is VR Really Learning?
May 19, 2011

Seriously...  I cannot for the life of me figure out what the doc was saying at one point, but VR inserted that the patient had a "menstrual valley illness"...  Glad I never had that!    ...

VR Learning
Aug 05, 2011

In a training on EditScript today, we were told in editing a report to change the whole word that is wrong, not just change on letter, for example, if it puts sever and the word is supposed to be severe, to change the whole word, not just add the e.  The trainer said that the system learns better that way.  So my question is, and I would have asked her if I had thought of it at the time, does VR learn when we use word expansions.  Is it learning from the keystrokes we use or from ...

Learning To
May 12, 2012

Please read my message on main board about learning to tweet.  I think we could make a difference with social media. ...

Learning A New Field
Mar 03, 2010

What would be the best way to get into another field? I have been doing neurology now for about 6 years and I am very interested in getting into something else, and really this is the only field I know because I havent had practice with anything else.  Im just getting kind of bored with the neurology lingo.  If I were to apply for a job that is hiring in a different field, would they consider me a "newby"? Has anyone ever been hired for a field they have no ex ...

I Hate Learning This Way
Apr 01, 2010

I wish somebody would figure out a way to train new hires other than setting them down with only a few hours training and letting them type their entire shift without a word from anyone, only to have QA come in the next morning and correct all the reports. I hate learning this way, I do something wrong, spell something about the facility wrong, all night long only to learn the next day that it is wrong. It is such a waste of my and my QAs time to do it this way, it sucks. And heaven forbid you h ...

Learning Coding
Jan 30, 2012

Is there any coder out there who has 'self-taught' themselves and successfully passed the CCS and working?  I'm an MT whose so ready to change to coding, but keep putting it off schooling due to being financially strapped (as MT'ing just barely pays the simple bills.....nothing more).  I also think being an MT will put me at an advantage in learning coding than someone 'off the street'/no knowledge of any facet of the medical field.  Any thoughts? ...