A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Need advice on career options - Hopeful

Posted: Jul 29, 2011

I have been an MT for 12 years.  When I first entered it was GREAT!!!  My pay has decreased so much during the years and it seems like the work is less and less.  I am a hard worker and I am tired of fighting to survive. 

I am thinking about different career options and would like to go back to school.  My top two picks are physical therapy assistant or radiology technologist.  Both are a 2-year degree.  However, they are hard to get into, long waiting lists, and I need to take a few college courses before I can even enroll.  The closest schools are an hour or more away.  This makes these choices especially hard because I am a single mom of 3 kids, youngest being 2 years old. 

My other option is an LPN course, which is 11 months long.  The classes are full for this year, but I can start the application process and start class in September 2012.  I am not especially interested in working in an LTC.  I am more interested in working within a doctor's office, kind of along the lines of medical assistant.  However, medical assistant schools are at least one year or even more, and if I am going to invest the time and learn the same type of things, I might as well end up as a nurse in the end.  After I pass the exam to become an LPN I can take another year of school and advance to RN. 

My last option is a little different and the only reason I consider this is because I have a friend who landed a great job in this field, and that is dental.  She took a medical coding course (which I am currently enrolled in but I do not like) and she is doing dental coding.  Apparently she is making pretty good money in the dental field....  So I started researching jobs like dental assisting and I found that dental assistants are being used more and more within the dental office for expanded functions and that they are in high demand.  A search through local job classifieds proves this to be true.  I clicked on the job ads and I am seeing them making 18 an hour, one even payin 26 an hour but you have to experience in a variety of surgeries, procedures, etc.

The dental assisting schools are the shortest of all the programs, with a really good school in my area being 10 weeks long, attending class on Saturdays only.  Then after you graduate from that class, there is an 8-week x-ray class.

So to sum it up... if I had my choice and if it was possible I would definitely go into the physical therapy assistant program or the radiology technology program.  However, being a single mom with 3 kids and having to work as well, it is hard to attend a school so far away, and the fact that it is a long time before I would finish and be able to work, kind of makes me think the 12-month LPN program or the 18-week dental assisting program is the way to go. 

Any thoughts, advice, experience in any of these fields?  I would love to hear some opinions!!!!  

Well, can't really give you advice, as I'm in exactly - Kiki

[ In Reply To ..]
the same position as you--12 years experience. I have considered the same things as you except for the dental assisting. That sounds good. I just think it will be difficult for me to get back into a "regular" day time 8 to 5 type job. I'm used to working odd hours and split shifts. At 46 I'm not exactly a spring chicken. If I were younger it would be a no brainer; I'd definitely get out of MT and get back to school. Although I don't have kids (they are grown) I am taking care of my mom right now (memory issues) and so I'm not sure I could be gone every day for 8 hours for school OR a job. I kinda feel stuck.

My daughter wanted to "follow in my footsteps" and become an MT. I talked her out of it, and both of us are glad I did. She hasn't even finished nursing school (actually had only just started) and she was offered a decent paying job at a rehab facility and she loves it. I knew she would NOT be happy being an MT.

Well, whatever you decide, best of luck to you. Sounds like you don't really need too much advice...you have a lot of really good ideas already. :)

Same boat here except that - SickofThis

[ In Reply To ..]
I have 38 years experience, am 55 and I can't imagine going to college and expecting someone to hire a newbie in that field at my age. I have no retirement saved up, no real savings, and have went from averaging $25 an hour as an MT down to less than $10 an hour. I get my paycheck and can't believe I am supposed to live on this. It is truly disheartening as this is the only work I have ever done and I used to love my job. Now it is all I can do to drag myself to the computer every morning and dreading to open up my daily harassing email from the boss. Don't know if there is a new road for me to take or not but this career choice is headed for nowheresville.

Sickofthis, so you look longer for your first job. Maybe - just go do what you know you need to? OP,

[ In Reply To ..]
you'll be working some 2000 hours this coming year, multiplied by, what...40-50 years? You'd better be doing something you like AND that pays well, the latter almost always meaning more education.

You can count on having to continue your training/education various times over your work life, no matter what you choose now. To keep income and job interest rising over the years, you should have a line of work you can build on so you don't ever again have to go back to square one and retrain for an entry position. Mercifully, medicine in general is one of the better fields for this type of security.

You'd also want a line of work with genuine advancement opportunities so that, when the situation allowed, you could get another certification for the next-higher position that starts $15K higher per year, or whatever it would be, with hopefully more opportunities beyond that in case you wanted to go for them.

So, IF you decide you cannot go directly for what you know would really be the best choice for you, how about planning a staged approach? Just for instance, what short goals have the most courses overlapping with the program you want to attend? (BTW, just imagining a for-instance, if the LVN-program anatomy and physiology courses were a little lightweight and didn't satisfy the requirements for the radiology tech ones, you could just take ones required for that program instead.) Which line of work might have positions in the same facilities so you could enter then move up and across?

One thing you don't mention is salary. Since making continuing training possible as soon as workable would be part of this approach, salary should be considered as another factor among many when choosing a long-goal path, not just for paying the bills now.

And, of course, consulting the professionals, counselors with the programs you're interested in at colleges nearby and on line, would undoubtedly supply a few good "huh, I didn't know thats." :)

Best wishes wherever you go, Pragmatist
Sick of this, I am in the similar position as yourself - Me too.
[ In Reply To ..]
I am 51 (52 next week happy birthday to me). I am currently attending college online at American Intercontinental University. Some say it's not a real college but it is one of the few approved by the military for online learning for their soldiers. Anyway, I'm in the program for an associates of business administration with medical billing and coding completion. I know I will have to take additional coding courses when I'm done with this to be a certified coder, but I'm just getting started. When I finish I will have a bachelors in Healthcare Administration. I chose a business degree because I felt it would give me more options for employment than just a coder, business offices, other types of businesses. Plus If I get lucky and win the lottery (my major dream lol) I would have the money to start my own business of whatever type I decided and have the knowledge and skills to run it.

I was petrified to start school at my age and with the course content and speed, it is very hard, but I am doing it. Even if I don't make all my dreams come true I will know that I am not permanently stuck in this dead end going nowhere job of being an MT.

I have been transcribing since 1989 and I am certified. I know what I am doing, and I am fast at transcribing. Just because I am having trouble making production on SR for slave wages does not mean I cannot do the job. I just think that the requirements of production at the quality level of SR and the quality demanded by the companies and the nature of the work for the minimum wage slave labor wage we are getting is demeaning and revolting. I used to bring home over 900 every 2 weeks after taxes, insurances, 401K and other deductions. Now I'm lucky if I get 400. There is something seriously wrong with this picture. I have no savings left and am in serious trouble. But I am not giving up. I am worth a lot more than I am getting.
to sick of this - redmaj
[ In Reply To ..]
I totally understand. I 3 years ago I was making 17.80 in a hospital. I am at retirement age so i dont worry so much. Is it just me or is voice rec screwing us? Most of the time I have to type over what is recorded, and I can type faster than reading the script!! And I could be making much more money!!!! Oh, well. I have loved transcription, but I should have gone into radiology-it was between the two-MT and radiology tech.
Voice rec isn't screwing us, our employers are by - paying us less for it. Very important
[ In Reply To ..]
point because VR is like gravity and it's worse than worthless to be angry at it, but we should be outraged at employers for paying less for SR than transcription.

If I were going to go back to get my associates - degree, it would be in

[ In Reply To ..]
nursing. The next in line would probably be either respiratory therapy, then MLT or x-ray tech. An associate RN starts out at the same as a RN with a bachelors at the local hospitals where I live. You just can't move up (as in any sort of management) unless you have your bachelors. There are usually lots of jobs also. X-ray techs get paid well, but you need to look around and see how often they are hiring in your area. It is a rare occasion for there to be openings close to where I live. You have to go to one of the very large cities to find a job here in radiology.

As far as LPN, the only way I would do it is if I planned on going forward to bridging to my RN. They even have an online program out there for LPNs transitioning to RN. Just know that they are going to pay you like a medical assistant in a doctor's office, and most of the time, it is not all that great. The hours can also suck. Been there, done that. Depends on the doctor, but there would be times I would have to stay until 6:30 or 7 and then have to go pick up kids. Unless you work for a large office where the hours are staggered, you stay with the doctor until the last patient leaves.

Agree...go for RN - friend of RNs

[ In Reply To ..]
I think you may as well go for an RN program. It's only 2 years, and the pay will be substantially higher (40k starting vs 20k or so). My mom is an LPN, and the best pay she has found as an LPN is doing is doing extended day care through a home nursing organization. Basically, that is dealing with people who have tracheotomies and are on vents that need 12-hour care each day. With that, she can get 30k/year, but if a client dies or goes in the hospital she is out of luck. I also have friends that have been on waiting lists for some of the other programs you mentioned (she had a BS in Psych) and never got admitted, seemed they wanted people fresh out of high school. As far as online programs, I don't know if they would qualify you for your license. All online schools say they are accredited, but that may not be enough to get licensed in your state. You may have to find a state that accepts that school for a license, and then transfer it to your state. I had a friend who did that after finding out her University of Phoenix Admin license for teaching didn't work in Indiana. She had to get an Arizona license, then apply for reciprocity. Most nursing programs require extensive clinicals, so I don't see how they could have an online program that would really be eligible. Possible, but I would really do my research before enrolling. Good luck to you!

new career choice - redmaj

[ In Reply To ..]
I hear you about MT and the way it is going. My last hospital job was at 17.80 an hour. Staying in health care is a good choice. Surgical tech is a good choice, radiology is great. I didnt know it was hard to get into that program. From RT you can specialize-ultrasounds, etc. Good luck!

Similar Messages:

Looking For Career Options, Exploring Coding
Jul 11, 2011

I walked into my community college and asked an advisor to give me a list of choices of careers I could study locally that would be quick. My sole purpose is to re-enter the working world as fast as possible. Medical Billing / Coding was one of the options. A friend reffered this site to me in response to an MT oportunity and, as if my prayers were answered, I noticed the Coding / Billing forum which has answered many questions. However, I have more, I always do. How d ...

New To This Board Learning About MT Looking At Options As A Career Alternative
Dec 28, 2012

Good morning or afternoon everyone    As I have run through a list of companies that hire medical transcriptionists I found on the website Rat Race Rebellion (a work at home website) I was directed to this forum and I must say it is a wealth of information so I am glad I have found it ! I am in Kentucky and graduated with an Associates degree last year in medical billing and coding hoping that would give me a leg up on my resume aside from my experience just in healthcare insurance ...

PT'ers Have No NJA Options
Nov 28, 2014

So, being a PT'er, I have to stick around the whole shift waiting for jobs?  There is no option for PT'ers as we do not accumulate paid time off.  This is pretty crummy and really unfair.  If I am expected to sit here for 8 hours doing nothing, I should get paid something for my time. ...

Job Options Besides MT And Coding?
Jul 12, 2010

If, as many indicate here, MT and coding are not the way to go, then what would be a good option for a job in the healthcare field? ...

E-mail Options
Jun 18, 2012

Within the next couple weeks, MModel will be upgrading DQS in my region, so I finally was able to buy a brand new computer with Win7, rather than refurbs with Win XP.  Until they "flip the switch," I'm still using my old computer, but did get a new laptop and have been exploring Win7. I've discovered that Outlook Express is now defunct!  What email programs is everyone using.  I'm not crazy about Gmail or Yahoo.    ...

A New Company & Options For Spellchecker
Jun 29, 2010

I started with a new company and I did not have spellcheck, so I ordered it and it was quite expensive for the 2010 one. Now I found out that when I am in their program they are using their own. This has really ticked me off because I was TOLD that I needed to download a spellchecker and now I cannot send it back because I have downloaded it. Is there anyway that I can use this spellchecker instead of theirs? Any feedback will be appreciated. ;) ...

Health Insurance Options Available Now To Anyone
Jan 30, 2011

To those of you who desperately need insurance now, here is a great place to look for temporary insurance.  If you eventually find out that COBRA is not going to happen or LM jerks you around so long you miss the deadline, you can still qualify for Uninsurable Risk insurance depending on the State you live in.  Some of these plans may even be cheaper than COBRA, which is something you might want to look into.   It is definitely worth your time to check this out instead of just wa ...

Checking/unchecking Options
Mar 04, 2011

Is it just me, or does it seem like every time I have audio highlighted and the one below it checked under Tools/Options, that I have to go back in and uncheck them because some dictator is putting things out of order.  I give up!  I guess I'll just have to leave them unchecked.  Anyone come up with an easier solution?  I can't think of any. Little things are irritating me tonight. ... ...

Office365 Email Options
Apr 04, 2015

Was snooping through the options. Under the 2nd options on the drop-down list, the "reply option" default is "reply all." I changed mine to no, just to be on the safe side. Under "layout" is where you can set up your signature block.  ...

Opinions/options For Headset
Jun 27, 2015

My headset is worn out has wires showing (again).  I have taped it numerous times, but this last time the sound quality is not good.  I have been trying unsuccessfully to replace because I have really tiny ears and the ones advertised as "designed to fit all ears" usually end up falling out anyway and back they go for a refund.  I would just replace the cord if it didn't cost as much as a whole new set.  Tried the ones for children, but the sound quality is not good eno ...

If One Is Not Meeting Production Requirements, What Are My Options And Theirs?
Sep 06, 2013

N/A ...

Advice On Andrews School Tuition Options.
Sep 04, 2012

Hi. I am very interested in attending Andrews school for coding. The only problem is I may not be able to pay in full at the time of enrollment. Has anyone done the payment option and if so how did it work for you? Thanks. ...

Moving To No Mans Land Aka Paradise.. Internet Options Suggestions Needed!
Oct 21, 2010

I am only able to find a privately owned local phone company in this small town to offer Internet, through the phone, requires a landline (which I really did not need). Pricing: $100.  For 750 min long distance, call waiting, caller ID, DSL - 3MB.  VERY expensive just for internet and phone line!Insane...ALL calls ANYWHERE except within just two small communities within 5 miles of our new house are long distance!  So, we will be using our cell phones for all calls. There are no ot ...

Career Step - Problems Passing Career Step MT Testing
Mar 05, 2012

Anyone have problems passing Career Step MT testing.   ...

MT Career
Jul 21, 2010

Just doing a little survey here:  Do you think the medical transcriptionist is becoming more and more obsolete?  I have been in the field for a long time and have already lost a couple of jobs due to technology or work being contracted out.  It seems to be the one job I was always able to find as there was also a need, especially if you're experienced.  Nowadays, we're talking VR, editors, etc. etc. and the pay is not getting any better.  Personally, I have alw ...

My MT Career Is Done.
Jun 30, 2011

I am just a little fish in a big pond, very rarely posted here, but loved to read the posts!  I felt though I had to post tonight as I am very sad. For the last 15 years, I was an MT, but tonight was my last shift and typed my last report - a discharge summary. Same thing I started on all those years ago.  My account is going VR on July 1, and I was told my wage would go from 9 cents a line to 4 cents.  No matter how they crouch it in rah-rah terms (increased produc ...

Career Help
Jul 13, 2012

I am a 47-year-old woman with a BS degree in management who has always wanted to work in the medical field. I began a training program for transcription but have since learned that field isn't promising at this point. I am analytical and have worked in accounting-type positions for many years, and I think I would enjoy coding. From the perspective of someone with experience in the coding field, would you recommend coding as a career or would you suggest possibly RHIA? I would appreciate ...

Almost On To New Career! Bye MT (soon)
Oct 08, 2012

I am about 90% done with my preemployment process at a county position in a neighboring town.  It will not be too soon for me start as we got word today that we lost one of the biggest contracts they had and they wont be getting a new one until February. So let me tell you just how thankful I am that I am not going to have to deal with these issues of MT anymore.  I will be moving on to an employer where I am fully vested at 8 years!  I am 40, so essentially I could retire then! & ...

Considering MT Career... Should I Do It?
Oct 12, 2012

Hi everyone, this is my first post.  I am a military wife, so I'm hoping to start a career where I can work from home.  For now I would only want to work part-time since I have a young child at home, but it would be nice to have the option to work full-time someday.  I've been thinking about becoming a MT for a while now, but lately I've been discouraged because it looks like the job growth has slowed considerably in recent years.  I'm looking into the Car ...

New Career.
Apr 02, 2013

How many of you are pursuing a new career. I can't live on the money I make from MT, and I don't know if I can do this until I retire. I have been studying gemology, trying to get into estate jewelry. ...

New MT Looking For New Career!!! HELP!
Apr 08, 2013

Well, I wish I would have looked at this forum before going to MT school.  I tried working for two different MT companies.  First one I hated the platform/pay and the second one I really liked the account and platform but my work wasn't "clean enough" and they let me go after two weeks. I think I got canned because I questioned some QA redlines and was told I was wrong (no, no comma.  Yes, you put a comma.  That's hypenated.  No, not hypenated.)  I even ha ...

Career Map
Aug 03, 2013

Here is a link to a very cool career map on AHIMA website.  You click on one career in entry, mid, advanced or master level and it will connect you to all the paths you can go.  It also shows emerging areas. Just what we have all been talking about mapped out! http://www.hicareers.com/CareerMap/    ...

Second Career
Nov 06, 2013

I was just wondering if anyone had found another work-from-home career to go to after leaving the MT "world?" The way this industry is going, I'm just tired of it all and would like to find something else I can do from home and make good $$ at itI I have started on something of a new career but it will take some time to get up, get going and start making $$ at it.  I am designing cat "trees" or furniture that is more attractive and way more easy to clean than what is on the market out ...

Any Ideas Of Another Career In Which I Can...
Apr 15, 2010

put all of this wonderful medical terminology to good use?  Don't want to be a nurse.  I hate needles and blood.  I am a very empathetic and compassionate person.  I really don't want to deal with the public/customers. ...

U.S. Career Institute
May 09, 2010

Hmmmm...Interesting, was reading about Andrews School and M-Tech.  I looked them up online and they DO seem to be THE schools to go to.  Seems as though Career Step is in 3rd or so?  How would anyone place U.S. Career Institute?  I'm sure this another matchbox school, but do you think it's one that employers run from? Just curious, thanks if you can help.  And Happy Mother's Day to all those great mom's out there, hope you had a great day! :) ...

Anyone Know About Career Step?
May 12, 2010

wonder if anyone here, or if anyone knows of anyone who utilized Career Step for either their MT program or their coding program ...

What Happened To MT Career?
Jun 04, 2010

I am reading on this board and seeing that people from Medquist are being let go, places are being bought out, hospitals are selling in-house to the outside services now.  The services charge a decent amount of money to these hospitals, but we see pennies of it.  What is sad is that what we do is very important, yet we are treated like all we do is type words (and anyone who has done ESL docs know it isn't just words - it's format, it's incorrect pronunciation, inco ...

Alternative Career
Jun 15, 2010

Hello, All: While helping my son research possibilities for his career choice, we found out that ultrasonography only requires two years of education and the median pay is around $40K-$50K.  You don't have to be licensed and can take the job anywhere in the country.   Not bad, huh?  Wanted to pass that information along to any frustrated MTs who are considering getting out.  I woudln't mind doing that myself.  Dental hygienists make even more and also o ...

Possible Career Change
Jun 25, 2011

I am considering taking classes for MT as I am ready for a change in my life. As I am looking into MT I have come across several questions that I want to ask to save myself the stress, etc. of preparing to start something that may not be what I am looking for. I see the different schools listed that others have recommended and yet I also see where my local community college offers course in MT. In your opinion would the courses there be suffice to work as a MT? For those working as MT, what do ...

Career Step MT And MTE
Sep 13, 2010

Hi, I haven't enrolled yet, but I've pretty much decided on Career Step (mostly because of price!). I was wondering if anyone has any input as to whether it's better to take the MT course or the MTE course. Do you need the extra editing experience? I'm sure any extra is helpful, but is it necessary to have the editing training to get an MT job with an online company? Thanks in advance for any info! ...