A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

alternative career - steady eddie

Posted: Jun 15, 2010

Hello, All:

While helping my son research possibilities for his career choice, we found out that ultrasonography only requires two years of education and the median pay is around $40K-$50K.  You don't have to be licensed and can take the job anywhere in the country. 

Not bad, huh?  Wanted to pass that information along to any frustrated MTs who are considering getting out.  I woudln't mind doing that myself. 

Dental hygienists make even more and also only require two years. 

I  hope information can help someone.

not exactly true - here in Atlanta

[ In Reply To ..]
our market is completely flooded with people wanting to get into the ultrasonography schools, and the schools can't handle the demand. Also the market is flooded with new techs, and they want the best of the best with certified/licensed credentials. There are a few more options available in cardiology, but again, more specialized training and expertise is needed. They also want experience!! Newbies are finding it extremely difficult to break into this field.

Too bad I didn't get into this a few years ago. Good luck to your son. I hope you live in an area that is not saturated already!

sounds like the MT situation, only -- (SM) - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
You get treated respectfully, being right there and all...

and you get to work in a different type of jammies...last I looked-scrubs.

Seems the only ones making money are the schools these days.

That's not true from my viewpoint - It depends on the person

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

That's not true in my state - nm

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

ultrasonography - jaerae

[ In Reply To ..]
I am pretty sure ultrasonography takes 3 years here. 2 years to get your radiographic technician and an additional year for ultrasonography. The school that offers it is very hard to get into and I rarely see job advertisements for ultrasonography. I do, however, see a bunch for respiratory therapists, which is only 2 years.

My sister is an ultrasound tech - ME

[ In Reply To ..]
She took a 3 year course at OIT in Oregon. There are some 2 year schools in CA, but bottom line they just aren't as good... but regardless, you still have to pass the boards and such....

She loves what she does. Wish I would have sacrificed a few years ago instead of working as an MT cause I loved it. now I hate it cause my pay has been cut in half... IM gonna lose my home... and it just seems awfully sad the way it's going now... :(

Similar Messages:

New To This Board Learning About MT Looking At Options As A Career Alternative
Dec 28, 2012

Good morning or afternoon everyone    As I have run through a list of companies that hire medical transcriptionists I found on the website Rat Race Rebellion (a work at home website) I was directed to this forum and I must say it is a wealth of information so I am glad I have found it ! I am in Kentucky and graduated with an Associates degree last year in medical billing and coding hoping that would give me a leg up on my resume aside from my experience just in healthcare insurance ...

PA As Alternative To MT
May 19, 2010

I have been researching PA training as an alternative to MT in the recent weeks.  I do not see getting another 25 years out of this profession which I once knew as a great way to make a living. In my state (GA) it does not appear that we have many PAs, only NPs.  It seems to be that way across all specialities as far as I can tell.  Does anyone know why this is the case?  Are PAs more expensive to have on staff?  Are NPs thought of as more respected in certain ...

Alternative For
Sep 19, 2012

I am hoping someone can point me in the right direction...I need to test for a company and my expressscribe has expiried and it won't let me download another free trial...are there any other programs that offer a free trial that I could use? Thank you very very very much! ...

Alternative To ExpressScribe
Sep 29, 2012

I desperately need an alternative to ES.  I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling for the free trial version several times.  I finally kept getting a message that I could no longer download the free trial, so I purchased the Pro version because I was promised that I was also paying for tech support.  The program keeps freezing up.  I am having an awful time loading files.  Yesterday afternoon I was trying to load files and it took me an entire 4 hours to get 15 files loaded with no more ...

Alternative To Nuance?
Sep 12, 2014

Are there any companies other than Nuance that would provide a semi-decent wage, no FIESA, a computer and work?  I have been working for this company for 3 years now, and it only gets worse.  The nit-picking on QA, slow down to "get it right", then get chastised for lines being low.  No way you can re-read every report.  99.5 is pretty dang high for the quality of the dictators and sound quality.  I am really, really tired of making nothing.  After all, I only ...

Alternative To Express Scribe?
Jul 18, 2012

I am looking for an alternative player to Express Scribe.  Every since I upgraded the last few seconds of every single dictation are cut off.  When I play them in Windows Media Player I hear the whole dictation.  Obviously I cannot use WMP without a footpedal (or can I somehow?).  Please help. ...

Alternative For Doctors To Dictate...
Jul 24, 2014

I am moving soon and need to find an alternative way for the doctors to dictate where it is made into a voice file that can either be sent automatically or accessed from a site.  I have a system for that using NCH Dial Dictate and Express Delegate, but not sure I can transfer the numbers they are using to another state, so trying to figure out alternatives to an old desk top computer with windows XP, modem and phone ports.  Geek Squad told me they can't even get phone ports for mo ...

Interesting Alternative To Medical Transcription
Jun 09, 2010

It is so interesting that I found this today on Craigslist, because I was just thinking about what kind of other services I could offer on a part time IC basis...   Strada,Inc. is a professional Disability Resource Center that coordinates services for disability counselors and coordinators in education, business and social services nationwide. We currently have room to add more academic transcriptionists to our team. We have part-time placements for independent contractors in Salem and Po ...

Is There A Free Alternative To Express Scribe?
Sep 21, 2013

Is there a free player similar to Express Scribe? ...

Career Step - Problems Passing Career Step MT Testing
Mar 05, 2012

Anyone have problems passing Career Step MT testing.   ...

Pt To Pursue Alternative Therapy Involving "rid U Otics" Or "riluotics" Instead
Nov 03, 2010

Pt with adenocarcinoma of esophagus.  ...

MT Career
Jul 21, 2010

Just doing a little survey here:  Do you think the medical transcriptionist is becoming more and more obsolete?  I have been in the field for a long time and have already lost a couple of jobs due to technology or work being contracted out.  It seems to be the one job I was always able to find as there was also a need, especially if you're experienced.  Nowadays, we're talking VR, editors, etc. etc. and the pay is not getting any better.  Personally, I have alw ...

My MT Career Is Done.
Jun 30, 2011

I am just a little fish in a big pond, very rarely posted here, but loved to read the posts!  I felt though I had to post tonight as I am very sad. For the last 15 years, I was an MT, but tonight was my last shift and typed my last report - a discharge summary. Same thing I started on all those years ago.  My account is going VR on July 1, and I was told my wage would go from 9 cents a line to 4 cents.  No matter how they crouch it in rah-rah terms (increased produc ...

Career Help
Jul 13, 2012

I am a 47-year-old woman with a BS degree in management who has always wanted to work in the medical field. I began a training program for transcription but have since learned that field isn't promising at this point. I am analytical and have worked in accounting-type positions for many years, and I think I would enjoy coding. From the perspective of someone with experience in the coding field, would you recommend coding as a career or would you suggest possibly RHIA? I would appreciate ...

Almost On To New Career! Bye MT (soon)
Oct 08, 2012

I am about 90% done with my preemployment process at a county position in a neighboring town.  It will not be too soon for me start as we got word today that we lost one of the biggest contracts they had and they wont be getting a new one until February. So let me tell you just how thankful I am that I am not going to have to deal with these issues of MT anymore.  I will be moving on to an employer where I am fully vested at 8 years!  I am 40, so essentially I could retire then! & ...

Considering MT Career... Should I Do It?
Oct 12, 2012

Hi everyone, this is my first post.  I am a military wife, so I'm hoping to start a career where I can work from home.  For now I would only want to work part-time since I have a young child at home, but it would be nice to have the option to work full-time someday.  I've been thinking about becoming a MT for a while now, but lately I've been discouraged because it looks like the job growth has slowed considerably in recent years.  I'm looking into the Car ...

New Career.
Apr 02, 2013

How many of you are pursuing a new career. I can't live on the money I make from MT, and I don't know if I can do this until I retire. I have been studying gemology, trying to get into estate jewelry. ...

New MT Looking For New Career!!! HELP!
Apr 08, 2013

Well, I wish I would have looked at this forum before going to MT school.  I tried working for two different MT companies.  First one I hated the platform/pay and the second one I really liked the account and platform but my work wasn't "clean enough" and they let me go after two weeks. I think I got canned because I questioned some QA redlines and was told I was wrong (no, no comma.  Yes, you put a comma.  That's hypenated.  No, not hypenated.)  I even ha ...

Career Map
Aug 03, 2013

Here is a link to a very cool career map on AHIMA website.  You click on one career in entry, mid, advanced or master level and it will connect you to all the paths you can go.  It also shows emerging areas. Just what we have all been talking about mapped out! http://www.hicareers.com/CareerMap/    ...

Second Career
Nov 06, 2013

I was just wondering if anyone had found another work-from-home career to go to after leaving the MT "world?" The way this industry is going, I'm just tired of it all and would like to find something else I can do from home and make good $$ at itI I have started on something of a new career but it will take some time to get up, get going and start making $$ at it.  I am designing cat "trees" or furniture that is more attractive and way more easy to clean than what is on the market out ...

Any Ideas Of Another Career In Which I Can...
Apr 15, 2010

put all of this wonderful medical terminology to good use?  Don't want to be a nurse.  I hate needles and blood.  I am a very empathetic and compassionate person.  I really don't want to deal with the public/customers. ...

U.S. Career Institute
May 09, 2010

Hmmmm...Interesting, was reading about Andrews School and M-Tech.  I looked them up online and they DO seem to be THE schools to go to.  Seems as though Career Step is in 3rd or so?  How would anyone place U.S. Career Institute?  I'm sure this another matchbox school, but do you think it's one that employers run from? Just curious, thanks if you can help.  And Happy Mother's Day to all those great mom's out there, hope you had a great day! :) ...

Anyone Know About Career Step?
May 12, 2010

wonder if anyone here, or if anyone knows of anyone who utilized Career Step for either their MT program or their coding program ...

What Happened To MT Career?
Jun 04, 2010

I am reading on this board and seeing that people from Medquist are being let go, places are being bought out, hospitals are selling in-house to the outside services now.  The services charge a decent amount of money to these hospitals, but we see pennies of it.  What is sad is that what we do is very important, yet we are treated like all we do is type words (and anyone who has done ESL docs know it isn't just words - it's format, it's incorrect pronunciation, inco ...

Possible Career Change
Jun 25, 2011

I am considering taking classes for MT as I am ready for a change in my life. As I am looking into MT I have come across several questions that I want to ask to save myself the stress, etc. of preparing to start something that may not be what I am looking for. I see the different schools listed that others have recommended and yet I also see where my local community college offers course in MT. In your opinion would the courses there be suffice to work as a MT? For those working as MT, what do ...

Career Step MT And MTE
Sep 13, 2010

Hi, I haven't enrolled yet, but I've pretty much decided on Career Step (mostly because of price!). I was wondering if anyone has any input as to whether it's better to take the MT course or the MTE course. Do you need the extra editing experience? I'm sure any extra is helpful, but is it necessary to have the editing training to get an MT job with an online company? Thanks in advance for any info! ...

Information On MT Career
Oct 04, 2010

I am planning to enroll in a MT distance learning school and one of the requirements is to get information about the career from at least 2 transcriptionist. What is MT all about? What does it take to succeed? What is the income potential? ...

Confusion Over Mt Career
Nov 12, 2010

my company is laying off and since i will qualify for unemployment, my new plan is to finish school in an MT program. i have tried 2x in the past but could never set aside the time/money to do so. now i have found this board, and am a little confused by some of the comments. i had no intentions of working from home but rather a hospital or office setting. i have seen job postings around town and a government site says something to the effect of 11% rise through 2018. so with all that said, how ...

Career Step???
Mar 04, 2011

Does anyone know if in-state tuition for career step is $350???  That's what they told me. ...

Considering MT Career And Have A Few Questions
May 06, 2011

Hi!  I have never posted here before but have been reading several of the posts and found them really informative.  I hope my questions will not be too redundant.  I tried to see if they were asked in the last 3 months and couldn't find them, so if they were, I am sorry. I have a friend who graduated from Career Step and really liked it.  I am considering a possible career in MT, but am not sure.  I have noticed it seems very difficult to break into without experie ...