A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Interesting alternative to medical transcription - sm

Posted: Jun 09, 2010

It is so interesting that I found this today on Craigslist, because I was just thinking about what kind of other services I could offer on a part time IC basis...

Strada,Inc. is a professional Disability Resource Center that coordinates services for disability counselors and coordinators in education, business and social services nationwide.

We currently have room to add more academic transcriptionists to our team. We have part-time placements for independent contractors in Salem and Portland. We currently have IMMEDIATE need in Portland and Salem. After successful classroom experience, part-time remote transcription placements may be available in addition to on-site assignments. This work may be accomplished from a home office.

Academic Transcriptionists provide real-time communication access to Deaf or hard of hearing students in secondary, post-secondary, and graduate level classes. Transcribers attend class with the student, transcribe class as it happens, and provide notes for after class use. For remote work, transcriptionists "attend" class through an internet connection. All services are provided in real-time. This is a rewarding and stimulating field. If you love education, and contributing to the welfare of others, this position may be for you!

Ideal applicants meet the following qualifications:

* Have own laptop or regular access to one
* Professional personal appearance, business casual attire & good hygiene
* Excellent Interpersonal Skills and Communication Habits
* Well Developed Problem Solving Ability
* Can work Independently or on a Team
* Excellent spelling and grammar
* Typing Speed of at least 60 wpm
* Reliable Transportation
* Willing to drive to multiple sites in the service area
* Flexible and Easy to work with
* Prefer BA, AA may be acceptable
* Self Motivated and Consistent Work Ethic

Qualified applicants will be trained using the TypeWell Transcription system (www.typewell.com.) with the training fee to be sponsored by us in exchange for a reasonable time commitment. Individuals who can complete the online training and be ready to work in 8 weeks or less will be given priority. Interviews will be held starting next week until acceptable applicants are found. Training of new transcribers will start on the next available start date.

If you are qualified and interested:

1. Go to http://typewell.com/applying.html and start your application to take the course. You will be given three tests: a typing test, a grammar test, and a listening test. When asked for your sponsor, put Strada, Inc. and resume@stradagize.com for the email address.

2. Forward your resume to: resume@stradagize.com

Applicants who do not turn in both a TypeWell documented typing score and a resume will not be considered for an interview.

another option - MarineMom

[ In Reply To ..]
I also wondered about getting into closed captioning for TV/TV movies. I think that would be really neat to do. Or there are companies that transcribe minutes for meetings or conferences or seminars. Just a thought

I do this - Ang

[ In Reply To ..]
I transcribe for a college part time using the Typewell program...I go and sit in the classrooms with the deaf student and just transcribe everything the profressor is saying..the deaf or hard of hearing student has a laptop and I have a laptop and if they have questions, they just type it to me...it's real time so I just see what they are typing immediately...you have to also be the voice for the student and relay the message to the professor. Of course there is no foot pedal, but the software that is used makes it pretty easy to keep up and most of the time, the professors are very understanding and will repeat things or slow down a little if needed. Plus, I always take a voice recorder just in case I miss something important and then later in the day, I can go back and listen and edit the notes to make sure the student is getting the correct information.

I also have a sign language degree...so I also use my sign language a little, but this is a very interesting job and it can break up the monotony of transcribing from home for doctors and gets you back out in the professional world a little bit. I also do transcription from home for local doctors.

The only issue I had with going to colleges to do this job is that I actually had to go buy some professinoal clothes...I couldn't just sit in my sweats or PJs and type! LOL

Just wanted to give my experience in case anyone is interested in trying it out! Go for it, it's a new challange! :-)

I'm curious to know how it pays. - if you are willing to share that

[ In Reply To ..]
I'm sure I'm not the only one wondering....

This posting above - sm (OP)

[ In Reply To ..]
I think it said it paid $18-23/hr to start.

Pay - Ang

[ In Reply To ..]
Definitely willing to share...I made 20 dollars an hour. Of course, it's just student hours...so it may be 12 hours a week or 8 hours a week or whatever the students college schedule is. I'm sure there are some colleges who hire full time although I'm not sure how that works...but it's worthing looking into, and most of the colleges ask you what you would like hourly...then you give them an amount and they negotiate. I presented wtih an amount and they offered me 20.00 an hour, which seemed reasonable to me.
How did you get into that, Ang? - myka
[ In Reply To ..]
Just curious how you got into that?
How I got into it - Ang
[ In Reply To ..]
I got into it because I have my sign langue degree and was very close with some of the instructors through the program. A few years ago, they told me about the Typewell program and that there was a job opening...I applied for the job and went through the training...although at the time, they were only paying 10 dollars an hour, which I was making more doing my medical transcription so I didn't take the position. It was a really long drive, and again, if the student takes a class at 9 and then has another one at 1..you don't get paid for the in between hours just the time that you actually work, so it didn't work out for me...I had a friend at a college that was closer, and she contacted me and offered me the 20 an hour to do it for that college...so I accepted the position.

Most colleges that go through the Typewell program will pay for the training...I think its about 800 dollars...so it's really worth it. The only thing that is difficult, especially if you have been transcribing as long as I have (20+ years)is the fact that there are different short cuts that you have to learn...you can make your own but basically there is a specific abbreviation system that you have to learn...so it's a little difficult to train yourself a different way...you can choose to turn their system off and just type the way you want, and that's basically what I do, although I do use some of their abbreviations becuase they just make more sense and really speed you up...I even implimented some of them into my medical transcription typing.

This is what they teach in court reporting school. I know. - I did it. nm

[ In Reply To ..]
I dropped out though and didn't finish, but you have to know how to use a steno machine, much different than regular keyboard, and classes are expensive (imo)

Similar Messages:

Medical Transcription At Home To Become A Medical Scribe?
Jan 20, 2015

Has anybody left medical transcription at home to become a medical scribe?  I have an opportunity to do so but there aren't any scribes currently in my area and I don't know anyone who has worked as a scribe before.  The scribe position starting pay is almost double what I make as an MT per hour so it is very tempting, I just don't know much about it. ...

Can Anyone Tell Me Info On August Medical Transcription Or Transcription South
May 29, 2013

I have found a few things on these companies but was looking to find a little more in depth information from past or current employees. ...

PA As Alternative To MT
May 19, 2010

I have been researching PA training as an alternative to MT in the recent weeks.  I do not see getting another 25 years out of this profession which I once knew as a great way to make a living. In my state (GA) it does not appear that we have many PAs, only NPs.  It seems to be that way across all specialities as far as I can tell.  Does anyone know why this is the case?  Are PAs more expensive to have on staff?  Are NPs thought of as more respected in certain ...

Alternative For
Sep 19, 2012

I am hoping someone can point me in the right direction...I need to test for a company and my expressscribe has expiried and it won't let me download another free trial...are there any other programs that offer a free trial that I could use? Thank you very very very much! ...

Alternative Career
Jun 15, 2010

Hello, All: While helping my son research possibilities for his career choice, we found out that ultrasonography only requires two years of education and the median pay is around $40K-$50K.  You don't have to be licensed and can take the job anywhere in the country.   Not bad, huh?  Wanted to pass that information along to any frustrated MTs who are considering getting out.  I woudln't mind doing that myself.  Dental hygienists make even more and also o ...

Alternative To ExpressScribe
Sep 29, 2012

I desperately need an alternative to ES.  I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling for the free trial version several times.  I finally kept getting a message that I could no longer download the free trial, so I purchased the Pro version because I was promised that I was also paying for tech support.  The program keeps freezing up.  I am having an awful time loading files.  Yesterday afternoon I was trying to load files and it took me an entire 4 hours to get 15 files loaded with no more ...

Alternative To Nuance?
Sep 12, 2014

Are there any companies other than Nuance that would provide a semi-decent wage, no FIESA, a computer and work?  I have been working for this company for 3 years now, and it only gets worse.  The nit-picking on QA, slow down to "get it right", then get chastised for lines being low.  No way you can re-read every report.  99.5 is pretty dang high for the quality of the dictators and sound quality.  I am really, really tired of making nothing.  After all, I only ...

Alternative To Express Scribe?
Jul 18, 2012

I am looking for an alternative player to Express Scribe.  Every since I upgraded the last few seconds of every single dictation are cut off.  When I play them in Windows Media Player I hear the whole dictation.  Obviously I cannot use WMP without a footpedal (or can I somehow?).  Please help. ...

Alternative For Doctors To Dictate...
Jul 24, 2014

I am moving soon and need to find an alternative way for the doctors to dictate where it is made into a voice file that can either be sent automatically or accessed from a site.  I have a system for that using NCH Dial Dictate and Express Delegate, but not sure I can transfer the numbers they are using to another state, so trying to figure out alternatives to an old desk top computer with windows XP, modem and phone ports.  Geek Squad told me they can't even get phone ports for mo ...

Is There A Free Alternative To Express Scribe?
Sep 21, 2013

Is there a free player similar to Express Scribe? ...

Prn Military Transcription/prn Medical Transcription
Jun 25, 2014

Anyone hear from them yet?  Over 1100 views, that means a billion resumes. ...

Offshore Transcription Stories Wanted- Medical Malpractice Cases Related To Offshore Transcription M
Oct 15, 2009

A legal contact was inquiring about the connection of medical mistakes related to off-shored transcription mistakes.  I have told him to review these boards and hopefully he will benefit from the information here.  While he did not discuss the exact case, I think that he will be able to use the off-shore transcription issue to his client's benefit or at least highlight that the provider in question does not have as rigorous control on processing records as other pr ...

New To This Board Learning About MT Looking At Options As A Career Alternative
Dec 28, 2012

Good morning or afternoon everyone    As I have run through a list of companies that hire medical transcriptionists I found on the website Rat Race Rebellion (a work at home website) I was directed to this forum and I must say it is a wealth of information so I am glad I have found it ! I am in Kentucky and graduated with an Associates degree last year in medical billing and coding hoping that would give me a leg up on my resume aside from my experience just in healthcare insurance ...

What Is HB Medical Transcription???
Mar 06, 2010

I've been in the medical transcription industry for 16 years and dont have any clue what HB medical transcription is. There is a job posted which has been filled, but I for the life of me cannot figure that out, unless it is hispanic/bilingual.  Can someone help me out!  ...

VLC Medical Transcription
Jul 24, 2010

Does anyone know if the Virtual Learning Center still exists?  I am not getting any responses to emails to them.  The website has changed since the last time I looked at it.  Also, I thought they were supposed to be the third best of the top three medical transcription companies to learn from.  If they are not, who is?  ...

JLG Medical Transcription
Sep 09, 2010

Any info on JLG pros/cons, pay would be greatly appreciated. ...

Medical Transcription.
Jan 21, 2011

I have a certificate through Stratford Career Institute and have had a hard time trying to get employment. I don't have any prior experience in the medical transcription field and am very interested in getting pointed in the right direction on what to do from here on how I can further a career in this field. If anyone can be of some help please let me know. ...

Non Medical Transcription
Feb 02, 2011

I am an independent contractor. Have always charged per line count. Have an opportunity to transcribe 30 minute audio interviews. Any thoughts on what or how to charge for this? Thanks! ...

Qed Medical Transcription
Apr 02, 2011

Has anyone ever tried taking the typing test for QED transcription? For some reason I am not getting into the testing site.  '( ...

U.S. Transcription Non Medical
Sep 01, 2011

I answered an ad for U.S. Transcription posted on MT Jobs, was asked to test, and within an hour of submitting my test I was offered a job.  After my heart came down from a happy dance at an actual job offer, I found I really have some things to think about before I say yes. This would be for 2nd shift, non-medical transcription at 0.06/cpl for straight transcription, 0.03/cpl if a company provided template is used.  I suppose I need to ask what my expected production would be before ...

Looking At Going Into Medical Transcription
Nov 14, 2011

I am looking into the Medical Transcription field but wanted to get info about the field from those that are in it before I take the plunge.  I'm not looking at earning a huge salary or medical benefits etc, just some extra to help the HH income. I'm looking at Career Step for my certificate. Any factual info or career experience would be appreciated. ...

Same Day Medical Transcription
Mar 24, 2012

Has anyone heard anything about this transcription company or done any work for them?  What was your experience?  Thanks. ...

New To Medical Transcription
Apr 20, 2012

I'm fairly new to medical transcription. I received my certification in 2010 and was a little discouraged when applying for jobs and they were all looking for experienced agents to work from home. I've recently decided to start back looking for work and decided to offer my services free of charge just to get the experience so I can apply in a year or two for actual paying work. Has anyone else done this or know how to get started? Or even know someone who needs a transcription intern? ...

USA Medical Transcription, Inc.
May 03, 2012

Watch out for this company .... They seem a bit strange. ...

USA Medical Transcription, Inc ??
May 12, 2012

Has anyone heard of USA Medical Transcription, Inc?? I can't find a website for them although when I do a reverse (fax) number look-up, it says it's in Palm Beach, FL. Info is appreciated! ...

Anyone Ever Do Non-medical Transcription And Like It?
Sep 25, 2012

Anyone ever do non-medical transcription? I'm interested to know if you liked it. I tried it for a few days and just decided it wasn't for me. A lot of it was phone conversations and was very hard to understand and I ended up leaving lots of blanks. The pay was bad too and I gave it up today. It was like torture to me to sit and listen to this voice file and one was almost 2 hours long that I did not finish before I quit. Appreciate anyone's input into this. I am feeling ba ...

Non-medical Transcription?
Dec 08, 2012

I'm a 2011 MT grad who posted not long ago looking for advice.  While googling MT companies to apply to, I found some non-medical transcription services, namely one that transcribes dialogue from a video for production/entertainment companies.  This site had instructions and a download to take the test.  What the heck, I'm going to take it and see what happens.  Since MT is practically a dead-end career, I've been trying to come up with ther ways to utilize my ...

For Those Of You Who Took Medical Transcription
Apr 18, 2013

I having been checking out various things lately with regards to where I would like to go job wise in the near future. I started out going to school for nursing and completed all the pre-reqs: Anatomy and Physiology I & II, biology, psychiatry, basic nutrition, algebra and English etc. Half-way through I hit a bump in the road and had to take a break from school and instead of sitting out a full year, I decided to do something less stressful, which is how I got into medical transcription. L ...

Getting Out Of Medical Transcription
Apr 29, 2013

I WANT out.  I have applied for numerous jobs, what I do, I just want to hit a time cloc just to have something to get out.  I don't carek.  I am so tired of being stressed and the happy days, when I have tons of work, just to be hit the next day with zero work, and stress on my off days that maybe I should log in and "catch up". I WANT out.  I have applied for numerous jobs, not even caring what I do, I just want to hit a time clock and KNOW what my schedule will be and KNOW how ...

Thank You Medical Transcription
Aug 23, 2013

I quit a job a dozen years ago to jump into the "Work At Home" dream.  I had little money, was quite naive, worked from dark to dark with absolutely no help from the small MTSO, who later ripped me off $5,000.  BUT, I learned. After my first experience with "running out of work", I just found more work.  I got unusually lucky and found a job and was MTing again in a few days. That gig gave me nearly 10 years of working for another small MTSO.  I got busy and made tons of mon ...