A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

PA as alternative to MT - mt

Posted: May 19, 2010

I have been researching PA training as an alternative to MT in the recent weeks.  I do not see getting another 25 years out of this profession which I once knew as a great way to make a living.

In my state (GA) it does not appear that we have many PAs, only NPs.  It seems to be that way across all specialities as far as I can tell.  Does anyone know why this is the case?  Are PAs more expensive to have on staff?  Are NPs thought of as more respected in certain states? 

TIA  

I'm starting PA training in a few weeks. - Ann

[ In Reply To ..]
I live in Maryland, and PAs are in great demand here. The starting pay for PAs here is higher than for NPs, and PAs actually seem to rank higher than NPs in the medical pecking order. I don't know why that is; that's just the way it seems to be.

There are only two good PA training programs available here, both incorporating a concurrent Master of Science degree with only a few additional courses, and both are very affordable (under 30K for everything, including the MS).

I'm really excited about starting PA training and looking forward to a great new career in a little over two years.

Best of luck to you.

Similar Messages:

Alternative For
Sep 19, 2012

I am hoping someone can point me in the right direction...I need to test for a company and my expressscribe has expiried and it won't let me download another free trial...are there any other programs that offer a free trial that I could use? Thank you very very very much! ...

Alternative Career
Jun 15, 2010

Hello, All: While helping my son research possibilities for his career choice, we found out that ultrasonography only requires two years of education and the median pay is around $40K-$50K.  You don't have to be licensed and can take the job anywhere in the country.   Not bad, huh?  Wanted to pass that information along to any frustrated MTs who are considering getting out.  I woudln't mind doing that myself.  Dental hygienists make even more and also o ...

Alternative To ExpressScribe
Sep 29, 2012

I desperately need an alternative to ES.  I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling for the free trial version several times.  I finally kept getting a message that I could no longer download the free trial, so I purchased the Pro version because I was promised that I was also paying for tech support.  The program keeps freezing up.  I am having an awful time loading files.  Yesterday afternoon I was trying to load files and it took me an entire 4 hours to get 15 files loaded with no more ...

Alternative To Nuance?
Sep 12, 2014

Are there any companies other than Nuance that would provide a semi-decent wage, no FIESA, a computer and work?  I have been working for this company for 3 years now, and it only gets worse.  The nit-picking on QA, slow down to "get it right", then get chastised for lines being low.  No way you can re-read every report.  99.5 is pretty dang high for the quality of the dictators and sound quality.  I am really, really tired of making nothing.  After all, I only ...

Alternative To Express Scribe?
Jul 18, 2012

I am looking for an alternative player to Express Scribe.  Every since I upgraded the last few seconds of every single dictation are cut off.  When I play them in Windows Media Player I hear the whole dictation.  Obviously I cannot use WMP without a footpedal (or can I somehow?).  Please help. ...

Alternative For Doctors To Dictate...
Jul 24, 2014

I am moving soon and need to find an alternative way for the doctors to dictate where it is made into a voice file that can either be sent automatically or accessed from a site.  I have a system for that using NCH Dial Dictate and Express Delegate, but not sure I can transfer the numbers they are using to another state, so trying to figure out alternatives to an old desk top computer with windows XP, modem and phone ports.  Geek Squad told me they can't even get phone ports for mo ...

Interesting Alternative To Medical Transcription
Jun 09, 2010

It is so interesting that I found this today on Craigslist, because I was just thinking about what kind of other services I could offer on a part time IC basis...   Strada,Inc. is a professional Disability Resource Center that coordinates services for disability counselors and coordinators in education, business and social services nationwide. We currently have room to add more academic transcriptionists to our team. We have part-time placements for independent contractors in Salem and Po ...

Is There A Free Alternative To Express Scribe?
Sep 21, 2013

Is there a free player similar to Express Scribe? ...

New To This Board Learning About MT Looking At Options As A Career Alternative
Dec 28, 2012

Good morning or afternoon everyone    As I have run through a list of companies that hire medical transcriptionists I found on the website Rat Race Rebellion (a work at home website) I was directed to this forum and I must say it is a wealth of information so I am glad I have found it ! I am in Kentucky and graduated with an Associates degree last year in medical billing and coding hoping that would give me a leg up on my resume aside from my experience just in healthcare insurance ...

Pt To Pursue Alternative Therapy Involving "rid U Otics" Or "riluotics" Instead
Nov 03, 2010

Pt with adenocarcinoma of esophagus.  ...