A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

New graduate March 2013 and unable to find a MT job - fox

Posted: Aug 24, 2013

I would like to know how anyone who graduates from Career Step and can not find a job for a MT...I am a graduate of March this year however not with honors. But still every job I have read you need three years experience or more. Very upset all the money put out for extensions, etc and it was a waste of life and time.. Any suggestions on places who give graduates a chance??

you have to apply, whether they say expeirenced wanted or not - show um what you got

[ In Reply To ..]
That is all you can do. Sometimes they will take a chance, sometimes not.

Regardless, I'm sorry to say, it was still a waste of life and time because there is no money in MT anymore. Its minimum wage mostly for average MTs, so I can't imagine newbies making even that.

I do hope you find something, but I hope you look outside of MT-ing as its your best chance to get ahead.

I agree with the other poster....I really can't - Kiki

[ In Reply To ..]
believe what they (MT schools) must be telling their students...they simply must be lying. This is NOT a good field to get into now. I have almost 14 years' experience and got laid off, and unfortunately I am only one of many MTs who have or are in jeopardy of being. Work is being off-shored to places like India because companies are GREEDY. The don't want to pay American MTs 7-9 cents a line when they can pay the Indians 2-3.

I know it must be frustrating for you having spent time/money on the schooling. I despise those schools because they obviously just want to make money off people who don't yet realize this has become a dying field.

I hope you are young enough that you can go in another direction if transcription doesn't work out.

That being said, I won't say it's impossible to find an MT position even as a newbie. In fact, I think some companies ARE hiring newbies to replace the higher paid experienced ones. Newbies won't expect as much money; the companies don't give a rat's arse about quality so they don't value an MTs experience. I think you should just not expect to make too much and possibly be frustrated with not even having enough work a lot of times (no work = NO money in this field).

Good luck with whatever you do.

If you have any of your - ch

[ In Reply To ..]
3 opportunities to take your final and improve your score up to honors, do it. Try testing with Inscribe. They hire new graduates. They are not a great company to work for but you will get experience and then you can move on. Nuance will hire CS honors or high honors. Take as many tests as you can for the experience. Inscribe's test is very hard but they make it hard to weed out people. Don't be afraid to leave blanks on the tests. Do not guess. I think Sten-Tel also hires new grads. Expect to make less than minimum wage if you sign on as an IC for a long time. As an employee they have to pay minimum wage and usually give you several months to get up to speed. Good luck in your search. This is a difficult time to try breaking into the MT field.

I agree with this post. Re-take the test until you can achieve... - ndcg68

[ In Reply To ..]
an honors score. If this is the career you really want, and it is tough anymore, you will be hired as a newbie by M-Modal or Nuance, at least.

You will also note that their testing is administered by Career Step, so the better you are at taking a Career Step test the better you will shine with them.

Quit Now, Sorry - Outhouse MT

[ In Reply To ..]
Sorry for being blunt. It is not like 12 years ago when I started. You will get less than minimum wage. You can know BOS3 very well, have credentials, etc., but bottom line is -- will the account have steady work with no interruptions? Will the account have decent doctors? Will you have nasty QA hounding you or informing you? Will you meet quota each day to qualify for benefits like PTO, holidays, etc? It is quite a march you are taking on and I suggest you get one job, work it, and realize sooner rather than later it is just not for you. sorry, this is just how it is. To stress so much to get minimum wage now is just insane. Be a proud one when you walk into the Emergency Room to have them be your primary, because benefits you will not get!!! (even if they offer them!)

Similar Messages:

Unable To Find The Word
May 27, 2010

Physical examination was significant only for a soft abdomen with bloody urethra zurnich. Is there a word as zurnich? I am unable to find the word. ...

Since I Am Unable To Search Right Now, I Need To Find Out
Aug 17, 2012

if someone on here knows if Transcription At Its Best pays for spaces or not.  I see they pay per 55-char line and usually that means no spaces.  TIA ...

Dr. Says Inattentional , But Unable To Find Word..
Nov 18, 2009

I suspect that his problem may be inattentional. I wonder about the possibilities of both depression and hearing loss.   That word struck me as odd so I looked it up, and cannot find it, but I find inattention of course.  Just wondering how someone else would put that. ...

S/l Foraminoparadine Unable To Find, MS Drug?
Jan 25, 2010

. ...

S/l Medtronics? Mitronix? Unable To Find Also..
Mar 17, 2010

She eventually had a midronics spinal cord stimulator placed (implant date June 19, 2001. Serial number NAT137137H. Model number 7425).   Not sure how to write the info he dictates for the stimulator. He dictates the parenthesis. ...

Airo Vac? Aero Vaced? I've Tried Looking It Up--unable To Find.
Jan 11, 2010

The patient was Aero Vaced to the hospital. ...

Any Info On Market Pro On Job Board? Unable To Find Anyting. TIA
Dec 08, 2009

nm ...

S/l March Saline Sutures???
Jun 10, 2010

Whatever they are, they are attaching a skin graft to the mandible.  Thanks! ...

SO...anyone Get Arrested In The March...hmmm? NM
Oct 26, 2011

x ...

No Bonus For Last 2 Days Of March....
Apr 10, 2013

On the timesheets they presented today approval they didn't have the QA payroll bonus for the past week. Don't I remember they told us everyone was getting it for the first quarter...which would have technically ended 3/31? I've sent an e-mail to my supervisor and manager asking as I don't want to sign off if they're trying to pull one on us and "forget" to give it for those last 2 days of the quarter which of course was in a different pay period. Will let you know wha ...

Another Morning No Work. CSM Says Will Be Better Middle Of March,
Feb 21, 2013

Guess we will have to wait and see.  Tuesday 3 hours of work because of doctor's appointment and could not make up time if there was any work.  Today second job, cannot make up time.  All morning no work.  Will have to work more hours at second job I guess.  Retail, not guaranteed hours but better than what I am getting at MModal.  ...

Nuance Bonus For Qtr Ending In March ?
Mar 18, 2013

Did I totally misunderstand or are we being grandfathered in for the bonuses of the 1st quarter to help with adjustment to the new rating system where an error in a short report is a KILLER? ...

Anyone Answer Ad Posted In March For Company STAT Transcription, Inc--be Aware
Jun 14, 2013

I sent my resume in and just heard back last week asking if I was still interested. She sent a brief little word document with some account specs, cpl and paydates--no contract, HIPAA agreement, etc. I did three voice files the first day. She sent back a copy of my transcription, supposedly with corrections, but there were no QA markings or corrections. I did 15 voice files the next day and again she sent back a copy of my transcription with no obvious corrections. I asked her how I was sup ...

New Graduate,need Work How?
Jan 25, 2010

I am a recent graduate of At-Home Professions.  I have posted my resume at several companies but have either not gotten any response or the few that have responded state they are looking for experience.  How can I get hired as a new graduate.  Any help would be appreciated.  ...

Recent Graduate MT
Sep 23, 2010

Hello My name is Stephanie and I am a recent Medical Transcription graduate from Ashworth University in Georgia. I am having a little trouble trying to find a work at home position due to not having any experience, I would like to work from home to be able to be with my 2 1/2 year old daughter. If anyone is willing to help me with this I would really appreciate it. Thank You in advance. ...

Is It Really Possible To Get A CCS As A New Coding Graduate?
Jan 07, 2012

Is it even possible to get a CCS when you are a new coding graduate? ...

Graduate W/some Experience
Jan 23, 2012

I am posting because I have spent the past few days reading so many negative things on this board and a few positive things, but am very discouraged about MTing.  My position is that I have graduated from a school (Career Step) that is accredited and one of the "top 3" I BELIEVE, but am not really sure now (can anyone tell me who those "3" are?). I graduated, but not with honors or high honors, Within one month, I got a wonderful job right out of the  ...

New MT Graduate Needs Advice HELP
Nov 28, 2012

I am frustrated at finding employement. I am a recent graduate from Career Steps and I do not know which way to turn. I have spent hours trying to find full-time, part-time employee or independent contractor positions. One company offers a mentoring program, which is more money. Does anyone have advice on these mentoring programs. Any advice on where to go from here would be so appreciated. I am employeed at a hospital currently(have been there 10 years), so I am dependable and loyal. Thanks i ...

New Everett Cc Graduate
Nov 11, 2013

I graduated from Everett CC's MT program in August and took their test prep class to extend my access to Career Step and learn as much as possible before I hit the bricks. My instructor suggested I apply to Nuance, as they hire new grads and have a training period to break them in to their company. Any thoughts? ...

New Graduate Seeking Advice
Oct 24, 2009

I graduated from Career Step’s program in early September. I am becoming very frustrated in my job search, and I thought I would come on here for some motivation. I have been working as a supervisor at a commercial cleaning company since graduating high school in 2002. This job requires attention to detail, time-management abilities, and computer skills. All three of these carry over into the transcription field. Attention to detail is required for checking my crew’s work. Dur ...

Anyone A Graduate Of M-TEC Training Program Or, Know Anyone?
Jan 05, 2010

I'm researching MT training programs & M-TEC seems to be the most recommended & credible, so far.  However, the price is over double the others, I suppose for good reason. Anyone trained w/M-TEC or, have any advice on training programs?  M-TEC, Andrews & Career Step keep popping up. thx so much. ...

Any At-Home-Profession Graduate?
Mar 28, 2010

Hi, I was wondering if their is anyone that has graduated from At-home-professions? And did you find a job right away, what was your thoughts on the school? Because I keep seeing all these posts and I am getting woried since I am in the school right now. Thanks! ...

SUM Program Graduate Eight Years Ago
Aug 12, 2010

I posted yesterday, that I need to get back my transcribing skills after eight years of being out of the profession.  I'm hoping it's like riding a bike and can get back on... Thank you to the one who responded to get the Book of Style and practice.  I ordered the AAMT Book of Style from Amazon as well as a pharmacutical book and transcriptionist desk reference book.  In need a a usb foot pedal.  Anyone have a suggestion on type to buy or is anyone trying to sell o ...

Mentoring A Recent MT Graduate
Apr 26, 2011

Hi! I was wondering if any one out there could mentor me or if they know a company out there does that? I graduated this past February from Kaplan University. I have been looking for job since then and I am unable to find an MT job that I can do from home. If anyone could help I would greately appreciate it. Sincerely, Tracie Hislop ...

New Graduate Ready To Work !!!
Dec 22, 2014

I already have been lucky enough to lock down a job FT Mon-Fri but because I have been unemployed while attending school I am looking for something on weekends to help start saving for making loan payments in the near future as well being able to save a bit. I have tried to apply at TTS and got turned down for not having 5 years acute care experience per contract requirements. I accept that is their requirement. I have also applied with Nuance for Sat/Sun hours. Does anyone know of any other com ...

2013 CPT
Oct 11, 2013

Looking for CPT code for excision of 1.5 cm perianal cyst.  Anyone?  ...

Using Electronic Resources After You Graduate From MT Classes
Jan 19, 2011

After you got out of MT classes and your subscriptions to your electronic resources expired, did you renew your subscription, use other resources instead, or do without? ...

I Really Hate The Jumping Ballerina Graduate Over There
Jun 09, 2011

lol ...

New Graduate Of Ashworth College's MT Program
Nov 06, 2012

I am a new graduate of Ashworth College's MT program. I am having much difficulty finding employment due to my lack of experience. Can anyone give me any suggestions on companies that hire New grads? ...

2013 Income
Jan 02, 2014

So how did everyone do this year working as an MT? I earned about $36,000. Wished it was more :( ...