A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Anyone a Graduate of M-TEC training program or, know anyone? - Becker

Posted: Jan 05, 2010

I'm researching MT training programs & M-TEC seems to be the most recommended & credible, so far.  However, the price is over double the others, I suppose for good reason.

Anyone trained w/M-TEC or, have any advice on training programs? 

M-TEC, Andrews & Career Step keep popping up.

thx so much.

Not a graduate yet but I am a student. - Typin_away

[ In Reply To ..]
I am a student at MTEC. When I was researching schools I looked really carefully at the programs. For me it was between Andrews and MTEC because Career Step does not have an instructor or online classes and the fact that I saw so many Career Step students were not getting jobs.

MTEC shortened there program to 9 months which is probably doable if you work full time at it. If you can't put forth 35 hours a week on school then I would suggest Andrews to you.

M-Tec - ggmt

[ In Reply To ..]
I finished M-Tec a few months ago. It was absolute junk. The course was based on disks and the keys were often outdated or incorrect. I was finding errors on the answer keys daily. My teacher would take 2-6 weeks to answer a single email. Some students on the M-Tec forums recently reported that they had 98% overall grades but got really horrible grades on their final, and were even told they were nowhere near ready to apply for jobs.

Once I graduated I discovered their claimed 98% placement rate was a lie. Their job board is called a "career opportunity council" but it's just a list of employers who might let you test. My experience is that most of these companies went out of business years ago or don't want newbies even if they DID graduate.

M-Tec says that the 2 years' experience is often waived if you have a degree, but that's not true. Ask around here on MTStars, they'll confirm that.

On the M-Tec forums there are threads from students who can't get jobs, but every so often a student will show up saying they got a job within a day of graduating or got a ton of job offers. So I'm not saying you're doomed if you go to M-Tec or any other school, but please, please, PLEASE reconsider it.

I graduated with a decent grade, I have a great background in English and insurance. I'm good at my job, available for evening and overnight shifts. I've tested several times and told I tested very well. Yet, I haven't had a single job offer. No companies I've spoken with have cared one bit that I went to M-Tec, in fact 2 places asked what M-Tec was.

I encourage you to please consider another field.

M-Tec isn't any more what it was before...sm - .

[ In Reply To ..]
So I read on this forum.
An MTSO bought the M-Tec school, shortened the course to 9 months and increased the tuition.

All read on this forum, go through the archives or the postings.

Webmedx bought it - one of their workers

[ In Reply To ..]
Webmedx habitually overhires. They bought this school to ensure themselves new blood when they need it. But they're unlikely to need it, since they're pushing front-end VR to all clients and trying to eliminate as many MT jobs as possible and turn the rest into editors for a fraction of their former pay. Now they're trying to get their employees to use this school to "expand their career options". Its not enough they're eliminating our current jobs, they want us to pay THEM to train for new ones (not at Webmedx, of course). Of course, they'll gladly profit off anybody else in the meantime, by selling them courses of study for jobs they are deliberately in the process of destroying.

ggmt...Sorry you had that experience but - Typin_away

[ In Reply To ..]
If it took your teacher that long to answer you why didn't you request another teacher? It says right in your manual how long it should take for them to get back to you and what to do if they don't.

Where are all these students you claim can not get a job? I visit the board regularly and I do not see that. I actually see more students saying that they got a job and can only remember maybe one student saying they couldn't.

It is normal especially graduating this time of year for it to take several months to get a job. You have only tested "several times"? You need to treat finding a job like a job and work at getting one. Someone, no matter what profession, isn't going to drop a job in your lap you have to find it.

sorry to burst your bubble - ggmt

[ In Reply To ..]
I did get another teacher. But M-Tec was very unresponsive to my concerns. When I had a suggestion about the website once, my email was forwarded on to a dozen people. Eventually ***** emailed me back to chew me out about how I didn't understand "the real world". Tech questions I had often got a reply which was either snotty or literally refusing to help. When I told my first teacher it was taking too long to get replies back, she called me at home and yelled at me about it. It was obvious after both those experiences that M-Tec was not responsive. Finally, though, I DID get another teacher, but not after thinking good and hard about whether I was going to even continue with M-Tec.

If you're on the forums then you've seen the 2 threads recently about not finding jobs. Your "it's just the time of year" excuse is exactly what those people were told, so I'm SURE you saw those threads.

**** NAME REMOVED BY MODERATOR: DO NOT IDENTIFY INDIVIDUALS. READ THE POSTING GUIDELINES. ****

oh, you're an M-Tec student - ggmt

[ In Reply To ..]
I see now you're the student who replied above. You haven't seen the "I can't find a job" threads because they're on the graduate forums, and you can't get to those forums yet.

As for testing several times, I don't think you quite understand the process. I've sent out just under 100 resumes. Only 2 places asked me to test for them. On top of that, I've tested online at a few places which allowed me to get into their testing section. Many websites won't even let you get to the testing section UNLESS you have 2 years of experience.

I know you're new and you have no idea this is how it works once you graduate. It's not entirely your fault, M-Tec deliberately doesn't tell you this is what the job market is like. But I am not impressed with the "you're just lazy" junk you're trying to feed me.

Oh, and another thing: When you graduate from M-Tec you will STILL be a newbie!
ggmt - Typin_away
[ In Reply To ..]
That explains why I did not see those threads. I do not have rose colored glasses...I know this business sucks to get into. I do not know that I will get a job.

I do understand how this works after graduation. I just took your post wrong when you said you tested several times. I did not mean to make it seem that you are not trying, although there are those who think if a school has job assistance they can sit back and not do anything. (In all different programs...lol) Glad to see that you are putting forth the effort. It isn't a lie though if you look at experienced MT threads that work is very slow for some companies right now. Hopefully you will get something soon!

What was your grade average there? I have big doubts that I will get a job anyways with having a 90% average in session 6. I know I have time to bring it up but...
gpa - ggmt
[ In Reply To ..]
My final gpa was 95 but I was getting 97s on everything the last several sessions. The "Career Opportunity" Council has a lot of jobs where you have to have a certain gpa or they don't want you to apply. Because I had a 95 there have been a dozen I can't apply to because they want grads with 96 or better.

Graduate of M-TEC - lm

[ In Reply To ..]
No matter who owns the school the bottom line is that the price you pay for the education is far too much for the amount of money you can make.

that is a very good point - nm - ggmt

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

I agree with the tuition being to high...nm - Typin_away

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

M-TEC not what it was - LK

[ In Reply To ..]
I am a grad from M-TEC from prior to its takeover by an MTSO. Back then its reputation was excellent. The founders of the school are no longer there, the program has been shortened, and the tuition raised significantly. I would look elsewhere for a school. Andrews still has the reputation as the best out there, and Career Step would probably be second at this point. Above all, DO YOUR RESEARCH before committing!

M-TEC - yowza

[ In Reply To ..]
M-TEC, along with Andrews, is a top school. What you want to look for is a school that uses the SUM program. That is very important.

Similar Messages:

SUM Program Graduate Eight Years Ago
Aug 12, 2010

I posted yesterday, that I need to get back my transcribing skills after eight years of being out of the profession.  I'm hoping it's like riding a bike and can get back on... Thank you to the one who responded to get the Book of Style and practice.  I ordered the AAMT Book of Style from Amazon as well as a pharmacutical book and transcriptionist desk reference book.  In need a a usb foot pedal.  Anyone have a suggestion on type to buy or is anyone trying to sell o ...

New Graduate Of Ashworth College's MT Program
Nov 06, 2012

I am a new graduate of Ashworth College's MT program. I am having much difficulty finding employment due to my lack of experience. Can anyone give me any suggestions on companies that hire New grads? ...

Best MT Training Program? Thought It Was M-TEC!
Jan 06, 2010

I'm researching MT Training Programs & thought M-TEC was supposed to be the best.  However, just noticed on this Board, they've been bought out & program shortened, etc.? Now I'm really confused as to which is the best school for training & assistance with getting hired afterwards. Any recommendations? thx. ...

MTatHome Training Program
May 10, 2010

Is anyone familiar with the MTatHome Training Program.  I'm interested in becoming a MT.  What type of salary could I expect to make just starting out? ...

Ritecode Training Program?
Dec 31, 2014

If anyone has any experience with this coding training program, please share your comments. Thank you. ...

What Is The Consensus Of The Best Training Program For Coding?
Dec 08, 2010

I am thinking of learning coding and would like to know what is the best training program for coding?  Thanks. ...

To Those In MModal Coding Training Program.
Jun 06, 2014

I was just curious to find out how the MTs are doing that were accepted into the first Coding training program working 20 hours paid training and 20 hours as MT.   I am possibly considering applying if it is offered again and wanted some experienced opinions of those in it.    Thank you! ...

QMedET Solutions - Training They Offer Through Their PATH Program?
Apr 27, 2012

Anyone applied to this company and gone through the training they offer through their PATH program?   Have  never encountered anything like this and was wondering if anyone could share information.   Sounds really time consuming.  ...

New Graduate,need Work How?
Jan 25, 2010

I am a recent graduate of At-Home Professions.  I have posted my resume at several companies but have either not gotten any response or the few that have responded state they are looking for experience.  How can I get hired as a new graduate.  Any help would be appreciated.  ...

Recent Graduate MT
Sep 23, 2010

Hello My name is Stephanie and I am a recent Medical Transcription graduate from Ashworth University in Georgia. I am having a little trouble trying to find a work at home position due to not having any experience, I would like to work from home to be able to be with my 2 1/2 year old daughter. If anyone is willing to help me with this I would really appreciate it. Thank You in advance. ...

Is It Really Possible To Get A CCS As A New Coding Graduate?
Jan 07, 2012

Is it even possible to get a CCS when you are a new coding graduate? ...

Graduate W/some Experience
Jan 23, 2012

I am posting because I have spent the past few days reading so many negative things on this board and a few positive things, but am very discouraged about MTing.  My position is that I have graduated from a school (Career Step) that is accredited and one of the "top 3" I BELIEVE, but am not really sure now (can anyone tell me who those "3" are?). I graduated, but not with honors or high honors, Within one month, I got a wonderful job right out of the  ...

New MT Graduate Needs Advice HELP
Nov 28, 2012

I am frustrated at finding employement. I am a recent graduate from Career Steps and I do not know which way to turn. I have spent hours trying to find full-time, part-time employee or independent contractor positions. One company offers a mentoring program, which is more money. Does anyone have advice on these mentoring programs. Any advice on where to go from here would be so appreciated. I am employeed at a hospital currently(have been there 10 years), so I am dependable and loyal. Thanks i ...

New Everett Cc Graduate
Nov 11, 2013

I graduated from Everett CC's MT program in August and took their test prep class to extend my access to Career Step and learn as much as possible before I hit the bricks. My instructor suggested I apply to Nuance, as they hire new grads and have a training period to break them in to their company. Any thoughts? ...

New Graduate Seeking Advice
Oct 24, 2009

I graduated from Career Step’s program in early September. I am becoming very frustrated in my job search, and I thought I would come on here for some motivation. I have been working as a supervisor at a commercial cleaning company since graduating high school in 2002. This job requires attention to detail, time-management abilities, and computer skills. All three of these carry over into the transcription field. Attention to detail is required for checking my crew’s work. Dur ...

Any At-Home-Profession Graduate?
Mar 28, 2010

Hi, I was wondering if their is anyone that has graduated from At-home-professions? And did you find a job right away, what was your thoughts on the school? Because I keep seeing all these posts and I am getting woried since I am in the school right now. Thanks! ...

Mentoring A Recent MT Graduate
Apr 26, 2011

Hi! I was wondering if any one out there could mentor me or if they know a company out there does that? I graduated this past February from Kaplan University. I have been looking for job since then and I am unable to find an MT job that I can do from home. If anyone could help I would greately appreciate it. Sincerely, Tracie Hislop ...

New Graduate Ready To Work !!!
Dec 22, 2014

I already have been lucky enough to lock down a job FT Mon-Fri but because I have been unemployed while attending school I am looking for something on weekends to help start saving for making loan payments in the near future as well being able to save a bit. I have tried to apply at TTS and got turned down for not having 5 years acute care experience per contract requirements. I accept that is their requirement. I have also applied with Nuance for Sat/Sun hours. Does anyone know of any other com ...

Using Electronic Resources After You Graduate From MT Classes
Jan 19, 2011

After you got out of MT classes and your subscriptions to your electronic resources expired, did you renew your subscription, use other resources instead, or do without? ...

I Really Hate The Jumping Ballerina Graduate Over There
Jun 09, 2011

lol ...

Is The CareerStep Medical Coding Program A Good Program?
Nov 22, 2010

TIA ...

New Graduate March 2013 And Unable To Find A MT Job
Aug 24, 2013

I would like to know how anyone who graduates from Career Step and can not find a job for a MT...I am a graduate of March this year however not with honors. But still every job I have read you need three years experience or more. Very upset all the money put out for extensions, etc and it was a waste of life and time.. Any suggestions on places who give graduates a chance?? ...

New Graduate - Experience In Transcription Is Experience
Nov 11, 2009

I am a new graduate and need to find a job! I am also new to this site. I got the site info from a friend that has been doing transcription work for many years. She has given me some leads, but as of now, nothing! It appears that most of these companies wnat 2 or more years experience. Does anyone know how I can start and get some experience? I suppose in anything and not just medical. Experience in transcription is experience, right? ...

Considering Training To Be A MT
Oct 10, 2009

I am considering an online school to learn Medical Transcription.  What does the future look like for upcoming MT's?  With all the medical changes coming, would this be a career to consider?  Thanks for any help! Debbie ...

Training To Be An MT
Nov 15, 2009

I am a mom of 3 boys with a lot of secretarial experience. I have taken several college courses recently including Anatomy&Physiology, Medical Terminology, Medical Transcription and Advanced but cannot find a job. Everyone looks for experience. I am in the process of applying to Everett Community College for their certificate. I would love opinions from current MTs regarding your opinion on beginning this career. Is it still a good option? I hear so many differing opinions on the future. Do ...

Does MQ Pay For Training?
Nov 17, 2009

How long does training takes?  How long do they give you to get up to speed, meaning getting your required lines in.  Do they pay a shift differential? ...

Training Pay?
Jan 25, 2010

Anyone know how long you are supposed to get training pay? Came back to company for some extra $$ and thought I was told this is a 90 day thing, but 2nd paycheck was on production pay though I am still 100% QA? Anyone have any suggestions on this?  I am so confused now. ...

Training-----------Best?
Aug 04, 2010

hello... I'm looking for opinions and advice from MTs as to where I should get my MT training.  Where do most MT companies like their MTs to have their MT training?  Thank you   ...

Still In Training
Jan 29, 2011

I am still in training, but was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on the software and or equipment I could go ahead and purchase to help me get through my training more smoothly.  My dictation at this time is on a CD disk and wondered if a foot petal would help me at this point.  Thanks,   bettyboop ...

Training Someone To Be An MT
Mar 21, 2011

Has anyone tried to train someone else to be an MT on their own, without the courses?  I am a CMT and have 18 years experience - I have a couple family members that would like to learn to become an MT but cannot afford the course.  I am considering trying to train them myself - any suggestions? ...