A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Is it really possible to get a CCS as a new coding graduate? - Poppy

Posted: Jan 07, 2012

Is it even possible to get a CCS when you are a new coding graduate?

CCS as new grad -- I did just that - Bambi

[ In Reply To ..]
I did pass the CCS after finishing my course, before I ever worked as a coder.

I did as well, CCS, no experience - AndrewsGrad

[ In Reply To ..]
I answered above.

Bambi, where did you get your coding training? - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
That's amazing that you did that. Where did you get your training?

I got my training with Andrews - Bambi

[ In Reply To ..]
I reviewed my coursework and read the AHIMA CCS prep book. The exam is very difficult, but obviously I was prepared. I also passes the CPC exam the first time.
Congratulations to you both of you! - Poppy
[ In Reply To ..]
That's very encouraging that both of you were able to pass not only the CPC but the CCS. Congratulations!

Similar Messages:

New Graduate,need Work How?
Jan 25, 2010

I am a recent graduate of At-Home Professions.  I have posted my resume at several companies but have either not gotten any response or the few that have responded state they are looking for experience.  How can I get hired as a new graduate.  Any help would be appreciated.  ...

Recent Graduate MT
Sep 23, 2010

Hello My name is Stephanie and I am a recent Medical Transcription graduate from Ashworth University in Georgia. I am having a little trouble trying to find a work at home position due to not having any experience, I would like to work from home to be able to be with my 2 1/2 year old daughter. If anyone is willing to help me with this I would really appreciate it. Thank You in advance. ...

Graduate W/some Experience
Jan 23, 2012

I am posting because I have spent the past few days reading so many negative things on this board and a few positive things, but am very discouraged about MTing.  My position is that I have graduated from a school (Career Step) that is accredited and one of the "top 3" I BELIEVE, but am not really sure now (can anyone tell me who those "3" are?). I graduated, but not with honors or high honors, Within one month, I got a wonderful job right out of the  ...

New MT Graduate Needs Advice HELP
Nov 28, 2012

I am frustrated at finding employement. I am a recent graduate from Career Steps and I do not know which way to turn. I have spent hours trying to find full-time, part-time employee or independent contractor positions. One company offers a mentoring program, which is more money. Does anyone have advice on these mentoring programs. Any advice on where to go from here would be so appreciated. I am employeed at a hospital currently(have been there 10 years), so I am dependable and loyal. Thanks i ...

New Everett Cc Graduate
Nov 11, 2013

I graduated from Everett CC's MT program in August and took their test prep class to extend my access to Career Step and learn as much as possible before I hit the bricks. My instructor suggested I apply to Nuance, as they hire new grads and have a training period to break them in to their company. Any thoughts? ...

New Graduate Seeking Advice
Oct 24, 2009

I graduated from Career Step’s program in early September. I am becoming very frustrated in my job search, and I thought I would come on here for some motivation. I have been working as a supervisor at a commercial cleaning company since graduating high school in 2002. This job requires attention to detail, time-management abilities, and computer skills. All three of these carry over into the transcription field. Attention to detail is required for checking my crew’s work. Dur ...

Anyone A Graduate Of M-TEC Training Program Or, Know Anyone?
Jan 05, 2010

I'm researching MT training programs & M-TEC seems to be the most recommended & credible, so far.  However, the price is over double the others, I suppose for good reason. Anyone trained w/M-TEC or, have any advice on training programs?  M-TEC, Andrews & Career Step keep popping up. thx so much. ...

Any At-Home-Profession Graduate?
Mar 28, 2010

Hi, I was wondering if their is anyone that has graduated from At-home-professions? And did you find a job right away, what was your thoughts on the school? Because I keep seeing all these posts and I am getting woried since I am in the school right now. Thanks! ...

SUM Program Graduate Eight Years Ago
Aug 12, 2010

I posted yesterday, that I need to get back my transcribing skills after eight years of being out of the profession.  I'm hoping it's like riding a bike and can get back on... Thank you to the one who responded to get the Book of Style and practice.  I ordered the AAMT Book of Style from Amazon as well as a pharmacutical book and transcriptionist desk reference book.  In need a a usb foot pedal.  Anyone have a suggestion on type to buy or is anyone trying to sell o ...

Mentoring A Recent MT Graduate
Apr 26, 2011

Hi! I was wondering if any one out there could mentor me or if they know a company out there does that? I graduated this past February from Kaplan University. I have been looking for job since then and I am unable to find an MT job that I can do from home. If anyone could help I would greately appreciate it. Sincerely, Tracie Hislop ...

New Graduate Ready To Work !!!
Dec 22, 2014

I already have been lucky enough to lock down a job FT Mon-Fri but because I have been unemployed while attending school I am looking for something on weekends to help start saving for making loan payments in the near future as well being able to save a bit. I have tried to apply at TTS and got turned down for not having 5 years acute care experience per contract requirements. I accept that is their requirement. I have also applied with Nuance for Sat/Sun hours. Does anyone know of any other com ...

Using Electronic Resources After You Graduate From MT Classes
Jan 19, 2011

After you got out of MT classes and your subscriptions to your electronic resources expired, did you renew your subscription, use other resources instead, or do without? ...

I Really Hate The Jumping Ballerina Graduate Over There
Jun 09, 2011

lol ...

New Graduate Of Ashworth College's MT Program
Nov 06, 2012

I am a new graduate of Ashworth College's MT program. I am having much difficulty finding employment due to my lack of experience. Can anyone give me any suggestions on companies that hire New grads? ...

New Graduate March 2013 And Unable To Find A MT Job
Aug 24, 2013

I would like to know how anyone who graduates from Career Step and can not find a job for a MT...I am a graduate of March this year however not with honors. But still every job I have read you need three years experience or more. Very upset all the money put out for extensions, etc and it was a waste of life and time.. Any suggestions on places who give graduates a chance?? ...

Hired For Coding/billing/transcription, But Told No Coding
Aug 13, 2013

Accepted a job, gave 2 weeks notice, and yesterday was my first day.  I was to be helping out transcription (1000 jobs behind), and then sitting with billing and training with coding as their coder will be out on maternity leave in December.  The office is adding another surgeon, and they are rapidly expanding.  So I gave a proper 2 weeks' notice to my former employer (2 hours on the road there and back, low salary - now less than half distance and $3 more an hour) and starte ...

New Graduate - Experience In Transcription Is Experience
Nov 11, 2009

I am a new graduate and need to find a job! I am also new to this site. I got the site info from a friend that has been doing transcription work for many years. She has given me some leads, but as of now, nothing! It appears that most of these companies wnat 2 or more years experience. Does anyone know how I can start and get some experience? I suppose in anything and not just medical. Experience in transcription is experience, right? ...

Certification In Coding Or AA Degree In Coding??
May 11, 2010

Is there really such a thing as an AA degree in coding?  Sounds odd to me.  Health administration or management, or RHIT I can see, but coding? Is it not better to just become Certified even if you dont have an AA degree? ...

Coding School - Fate Of Coding Due To EMR
Apr 10, 2012

Wondering if there are any coders out there who can give me an idea of the fate of coding due to the EMR. Are there still coding jobs out there? Would it be wise to attend school for coding at this point or do you think it will be lost to the EMR eventually? I live in a rural area and there are advertisements for registered/accredited coders at medical facilities, but I'm afraid of spending all that time and money on schooling only to not be able to find a job. Any information/insight w ...

Coding :: Thinking About Changing From MT To Coding
Oct 07, 2013

I am thinking about changing from MT to coding.  Are there many opportunities to work from home with coding?  What would be a good school to attend? Thank you for the help. ...

Do I Need To Take An Actual Coding Course To Learn Coding?
Feb 26, 2014

My sister is taking an online coding course and complains that there is no real "teaching," that she's basically just doing the work in the work book and entering answers online, then taking an online chapter test.  This makes me wonder about the necessity of signing up for an actual course.  I would like to learn how to code, but to me, without any actual instruction, what's the purpose of signing up for one of these online courses? ...

Coding :: Age Restriction On New Coding Students?
Apr 15, 2014

Anyone know if MM has an age restriction on new coding students? ...

Which Coding Workbook Does Your Coding Program Use
May 20, 2014

Thanks for your response.  ...

MT To Coding
Sep 27, 2010

I've been an MT for going on 8 years now, and I've been throwing around the idea of taking a coding class. I would really like to have something else to fall back on, as it seems that MT'ing is going more and more to VR. There's a local coding class that begins in January for $1700, but I wanted to get some feedback of current coders before signing up. Is the demand for coders still fairly high? Is it hard to find a job as a newbie, even with already having experience in the ...

Is Coding The Way To Go?!
Jan 19, 2011

I have almost 12 years experience as an MT (turn 30 in a month ACK!)  My mom has been telling me for a couple years now (since it started going downhill) that I should maybe think about coding as a career.  I guess she thinks I'd be good at it, but I have no idea.  I have just started my research but I thought I would kind of get some pros and cons about it see if anyone had advice or thoughts on anyone thinking about it.  I always feel like I'm too old to start som ...

What Do You (did You) Like Best About Your Coding Course?
Dec 27, 2011

What was the best thing about the coding course you took? Did it prepare you for the CCS and CPC exams or maybe just the CCA? Did you take any of those exams and did you pass or fail them?  What course did you take? Did you think it was hard or easy? You don't need to answer all of the questions, but maybe a couple of them. Thanks.  ...

I Keep Looking At Coding, Considering It But........
Feb 11, 2012

there's just ONE little thing that keeps me doubting the possibility of it being a long-term career: I keep seeing more and more ads every week for "at home coders".  Does this make you at least a little nervous?  It makes me a LOT nervous.  We all know that once MTs started working from home, the MT field went into a tailspin, pay-wise, because "work-at-home" seems to translate into "work-in-India", instead.  Also I see some ads for MTSOs that also offer coding.  ...

E&M Coding?
Apr 16, 2012

Is Evaluation and management coding hard to learn? ...

Coding Vs MT, What To Do....
May 10, 2012

I am generally pretty good at making my own decisions; however, I need advice on what to do in this situation. I am currently an MT making $55,000-$60,000 year. The last few years MT work slowed down due to VR/EMR and it was harder and harder to replace lost accounts. While I was looking for another client/MTSO to fill the gap last year, I took a college course for coding and passed the CPC thinking I would have a back-up plan if needed; however, I found more MT work shortly after passing the C ...

How Did You Get Your First Coding Job?
Aug 14, 2012

I passed the CCS and CPC exam 8 months ago but have yet to find a job :(.  I busted my bu** to become a certified coder, and now that I am one, no one will hire me without experience.  I live in a small town.  We have one hospital.  I applied and was flat out told they cannot hire coders without minimum 2 years experience.  I asked if I could volunteer or job shadow and they said no.  No jobs there in HIM at all.  Our local medical clinic has a coding company t ...