A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

My road to code... - js

Posted: Feb 25, 2011

Hi coders,  I'm an MT with many years of experience and am trying to break into coding and billing.  I am starting with an on line course to get the basics and overview of the process. When I am done with that I will take a class at my community college to refresh and hopefully network.  Does this sound like a good plan to anyone?  Anything to recommend to be supplementing so I will do well on whatever certification tests are necessary when the time comes?  Thanks!   

It depends on what your goal is - See message

[ In Reply To ..]
It all depends on what you want to end up with at the end of your training. All online courses are not equal. Some are just introductory and others are the top of the line as far as what you learn. Community college courses in coding and billing are not designed to get you to the point where you can pass a certification exam, although those also vary a great deal in what they offer. Most are introductory, which is fine if you want to work in a doctor's office or small clinic where you are doing more billing than coding. I don't think "supplementing" is a good idea, because it's hard to supplement what turned out to be poor training and it's impossible for people to teach themselves when they aren't really sure what it is what they are supposed to be learning. In other words, we can't teach ourselves what we don't know. That's my overview of the situation as you described it. It seems like a poor plan if you want to be a coding professional, but a fine plan if you want to do some billing and at least recognize a code when you see it. I don't think you would have real coding skills, but not every job requires real coding skills. Good luck to you with whatever plan you choose.

Thanks for that insight. What would be the - plan to become a

[ In Reply To ..]
"coding professional," preferably in a hospital setting? Again, thanks so much for your insight!

Insight - Anonymous

[ In Reply To ..]
A good school that teaches you the coding guidelines and then practicing what you have learned would be a good start. You can do independent study if you choose, there are quite a few good prep courses available, but I would begin with a structured program. As a coding student I am finding that any opportunity to learn should not be overlooked, even if it means teaching yourself, I would have to disagree with the other person on that. If you want to work in a hospital you will need certification. Try to get into an on the job training or internship program if you can, take an entry level job if it means a foot in the door and a chance to move into a coding position later on. If you want to go to community college, find out how much of the program is actual coding before enrolling.

Depends on what your goal is, and if it is to work in a hospital - See message

[ In Reply To ..]
If you want to work in a hospital as a credentialed coder, the first step would be to get very solid training, not just an introduction. Following your training, I would go for certification, probably in both CCS and CPC-A. Then, and here I agree with the poster who just posted, I would continue to learn. This, after solid training and credentials, would be the right time to start supplementing your work on your own. At that point you wll know enough to do that effectively.

My road to code - Privacygal

[ In Reply To ..]
Good plan but again be sure it is an accredited course through AHIMA or AAPC. Hospitals will not hire anyone that isn't accredited by these organizations. Don't spend your money on an online program unless it accredited. Good Luck.

My experience is that credentials matter and - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
I've heard of people who studied with accredited programs and weren't able to get jobs or pass the CCS or CPC. That isn't an insult to those courses necessarily, because some of them aren't designed to prepare you for credentials. Nothing maters more than getting that CCS or CPC. Some, but very few, schools teach enough to prepare you to pass those tests.

Do your work very carefully before you enroll, because it's easy to get confused and take a short, easy course that won't get you where you want to go. Find a school that consistently graduates students who can. That will be the smartest thing you can do toward advancing your coding career if you want a career as a professional coder.

Schools - MT2Coder

[ In Reply To ..]
If you're wanting a coding course that will prepare you to pass the credentialling exams, I highly recommend Andrews. I am a graduate of their MT program and can tell you I was extremely prepared to enter the workforce and have never, even as a new grad, had trouble finding a job. Of course that is MT and not coding, but it assures me the coding program is also excellent.

I can't believe I am about to say this, but Career Step looks to have a good coding program too. That felt dirty to even type but in asking around a bit a lot of their graduates are reporting passing the CCS after graduation.

Andrews offers a downpayment with monthly payments for 24 months but CS offers other financial aid. If money grew on trees I would enroll in Andrews' coding program today, but it doesn't.
Wrong Spot - MT2Coder
[ In Reply To ..]
Oops..posted a reply in the wrong thread!

Privacygal . . . - Coder

[ In Reply To ..]
I'm sure you mean well, but your information is inaccurate, confusing, and very misleading. I'm not sure you are well-informed about the coding industry. It's not the same as privacy.

All employers wish to hire employees who are credentialed in coding.

However, neither AHIMA or AAPC requires attendance at any program, accredited or otherwise. All of their coding exams are open to anyone, whether they attended a school or not.

The most important thing is attending a program that has a good success rate on the credentialing exams.

Similar Messages:

This May Be The End Of The Road
Aug 04, 2011

Usually, when we get a new CEO, they at least pretend that we are "valued employees."  This guy makes no such pretense, says our quality is the same as India's and that they will be sending more and more to India. I know someone said before the goal was to send the vast majority of work to India by the end of 2011. I'm old and tired, live in the boondocks where there aren't a lot of jobs. Have some feelers out, but nothing so far.  So depressing. ...

New Road Transcription
May 05, 2010

Any info on this company?  A yahoo email address makes me wonder. ...

MTing In An RV On The Road
Mar 18, 2011

I'm interested in chatting with anyone who might be doing MT work on the road in an RV or motorhome.  This might be in my future soon and I am curious about the logistics of this.  I've been working at home for 19 years so would love to keep this great job while seeing some sights in the USA and still working. Please get in touch if you have any information! Thanks   ...

Anyone Take Road Trips With Their RV And Take Their Work With Them?
May 02, 2011

Just looking for ideas--maybe Verizon broadband or something similar. In this day and age, this has to be possible somehow. ...

Taking The High Road
Oct 01, 2014

Just gave my 2 weeks without giving a justification.  Upon reciept, I was asked why.  I decided I'd give my why on the high road, but man was it tempting to just let it all fly in a manner be fitting a swarm of angry bees.  Here's my response. In the years I've been with the company, the corporate culture has changed dramatically.  I feel as though M*Modal is no longer a good match for where I am currently nor where I'm going in the future.  I value ...

On The Road Satellite Connection?
May 27, 2015

Does anybody know if there are any companies that let you work from satellite or is that illegal now due to HIPAA? Years ago I looked into this and there was a tiny list of companies but it was dwindling so don't know now. Might be taking off in an RV and was wondering if anybody works that way with a satellite dish attached or some other method? Somebody that works like this wrote to me a long time ago and told me she has some little gadget she plugs into her computer and it provide ...

Is The Phrase "code Blue" Generally Capitalized As Code Blue Or Not?nm
Dec 17, 2010

nm ...

Code Blue Or Code Blue For Beg Of Sentence?
Dec 29, 2014

xx ...

What Is This Code?
Nov 24, 2010

Does anyone know what this code is?  It keeps popping up on my blank document prior to CTRL-S to bring in a standard.   <non-s> and another one with the letters "red-s".   I can't type it in here, because when I do, it leaves a blank instead of those letters in brackets "red-s" Thanks! ...

Now There's A Whole New Pay Code
Mar 14, 2013

we now have the option of "Excused Absence - No Work".  ...

To Code Or Not
Mar 15, 2014

The truth is that transcription has changed and it will never go back to the good old days.  Mmodal sees this too.  They are shifting as is the norm these days.  Nothing is static.  They are transitioning and they are inviting you to go with them.  I am glad to see a training program for coders.  There are not enough coders out here.  Please be prepared to work your butt off.  Take it, work it, and learn it.  Coding is a unique, important, challenging ...

Code Blue
Oct 15, 2009

It is transcribed Code Blue or code blue?  Thanks in advance for your help! ...

Code Blue, CODE BLUE, Or Code Blue?
Mar 16, 2010

Thanks for help.  Brain doesn't seem to be working this morning ...

3-2-1 Code It ! 2nd Edition
Jan 07, 2011

Has anyone ever used this textbook and accompanying workbook? I was wondering if the answers were provided for the workbook before ordering it. Thanks ...

WRKA Code/help
Dec 28, 2011

Can anyone tell me when we receive NJA do we sign out immediately and then sign back in with the WRKA procedure highlighted in teamwork and without closing out docqscribe and waiting for the 15 minutes and say we do get work within 15 minute period do we just continue to be signed in until we are ready to sign off? I'm confused with this.  I know they want us to do the coding now in the teamwork for this 15 minute pay. TIA ...

Anyone Else Code In Their Sleep?
Jan 20, 2012

I know I'm finally learning something when I start doing it in my sleep. ...

A Code GI Bleeding?
Jan 30, 2012

Am I hearing this right? History of iron-deficiency anemia due to a (s/l code) GI bleeding. ...

BRCA Code
Apr 13, 2012

Doc dictates "BRCA thirty-two ninety-seven deletion six"   what is the proper way to type that value.  I've tried googling it and can't come up w/ anything I'm comfortable with. ...

Does Anyone Code For MModal?
Oct 17, 2012

thanks in advance ...

Need Help With A Code For Rehab
Oct 19, 2012

What is the code number for this statement: "Ultrasound with dexamethasone to Achilles tendon" Is it the iontophoresis code of 97033? Thanks for any help! ...

How Do You Code Your Timecard When You Are OOW?
Sep 14, 2014

I am asking because I've heard conflicting info.  I do, though, read the Employee Manual, but it appears as with everything Nuance, the Employee Manual can just be disregarded at will if it suits an agenda.  ...

Code Status Is S/l Full Let And DNR
Oct 16, 2009

code status is s/l full let and DNR ...

Let's Code A Colonoscopy Dilemma!
Apr 22, 2010

Op report reason:  Screening and Diarrhea.  Colonoscopy done, polyp found and removed.  The reason for the colonoscopy is both Screening and Diarrhea.  In fact, doc documents prime reason for colonoscopy is screening and second reason diarrhea.  What is the diagnosis code for this?  If a coder has to code by the documentation and the doctor's final answer is that it is for both a screening and for diarrhea, what is a coder to do?&n ...

How Do I Create A Jump Code?
Sep 30, 2010

My "jump code" macro has disappeared.  I need a macro to move around in my document from {} to {}.  Does anybody know how to create a macro that will help me please? Thank you so much! ...

Code Of Conduct Training
Nov 11, 2010

Does anyone know if we will get paid for the time it takes us to complete the Code of Conduct course we have to do by Nov 30th? ...

Code Of Conduct, HIPAA?
Nov 12, 2010

What a joke. They come down on us so hard about this, but there is information on ADT we have no reason to see such as SS numbers. I have a couple of dictators who actually dictate the patient's SS number and say to put it on the report. Not to mention the wrong patient information and cc names given by the dictators. I now will always leave a QA note every time a cc name is given without the first and last name or any ADT names given without first and last name. With thousands of MTs wor ...

Code Of Conduct, Is It A Setup?
Nov 21, 2010

Anyone suspicious of this push to get us to sign the Code of Conduct?  I know we've signed it before, but something tells me there's a clause in there that is going to enable them to get rid of many of us by the end of the year.  Just curious if anyone else thought so, too? ...

Full Code Status
Dec 31, 2010

Do I capitalize "full code status" ie, The patient was on full code status. ...

What I Am Enjoying About Learning To Code
Sep 24, 2011

Hello all, I thought I would pop on here and let you know what I am enjoying about learning to code.  First off, I am a medical transcriptionist attemtping to transition into a new area.  I started taking the Andrews School program and am enjoying it.  It's difficult, but I am confident I am learning something.  I admit I do struggle with working as an MT because my mind wanders terribly, so badly I often have to go back and re-read the entire report to make certai ...

Looks Like There's A New Company Code For Teamwork Too
Jan 24, 2012

xx ...