A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Anyone take road trips with their RV and take their work with them? - Need to get out.

Posted: May 02, 2011

Just looking for ideas--maybe Verizon broadband or something similar. In this day and age, this has to be possible somehow.

I did it for a few years. It has been a few years since - me

[ In Reply To ..]
I did it, should be much easier now. I had a job where I downloaded work via FTP and then could work offline. I would download in the morning and work while we traveled.

Most campgrounds have WiFi these days, and then there is Panera Bread, Starbucks, McDonald's, the library, and hotels. If you wanted to dry camp you might be so remote you couldn't get a signal When we were in the Black Hills in SD you couldn't get a signal anywhere.

If you have to be connected all the time like a VPN not sure how it would work. You can get the Verizon broadband for a trial. We had DirecTV satellite for a while. Some companies don't allow it though and download speed isn't reliable.

I highly recommend doing it if you can work out details. I would recommend having a plan A and a plan B as far as your internet access.

Thanks! - soon-to-be-traveling MT

[ In Reply To ..]
I am looking at travel trailers right now. They really are like small homes, but I have to plan how I am going to work first. Thanks for your advice!

Love my Verizon! - Typing on the go

[ In Reply To ..]
I love it, love it! I have to use Verizon broadband because I'm so rural, but I've had to pack up my PC and travel, and I haven't been anywhere that I didn't get service. Granted, if you were to go park your camper in the middle of a state park or national forest, you might be out of luck. Otherwise, I'd give it a whirl. Just try to make sure wherever you go, you're close to a town that will have a cell tower in case you get somewhere and have some obstruction in your way.

road trips with RV - shirley

[ In Reply To ..]
If you have one of the newer phones with a good service plan, you can download an app that serves as a wireless bridge between your laptop and the internet. You would,of course, need to check compatibility with your accounts and availability of service areas, but service areas are a lot better nowadays.

Similar Messages:

This May Be The End Of The Road
Aug 04, 2011

Usually, when we get a new CEO, they at least pretend that we are "valued employees."  This guy makes no such pretense, says our quality is the same as India's and that they will be sending more and more to India. I know someone said before the goal was to send the vast majority of work to India by the end of 2011. I'm old and tired, live in the boondocks where there aren't a lot of jobs. Have some feelers out, but nothing so far.  So depressing. ...

New Road Transcription
May 05, 2010

Any info on this company?  A yahoo email address makes me wonder. ...

My Road To Code...
Feb 25, 2011

Hi coders,  I'm an MT with many years of experience and am trying to break into coding and billing.  I am starting with an on line course to get the basics and overview of the process. When I am done with that I will take a class at my community college to refresh and hopefully network.  Does this sound like a good plan to anyone?  Anything to recommend to be supplementing so I will do well on whatever certification tests are necessary when the time comes?  Thanks! ...

MTing In An RV On The Road
Mar 18, 2011

I'm interested in chatting with anyone who might be doing MT work on the road in an RV or motorhome.  This might be in my future soon and I am curious about the logistics of this.  I've been working at home for 19 years so would love to keep this great job while seeing some sights in the USA and still working. Please get in touch if you have any information! Thanks   ...

Taking The High Road
Oct 01, 2014

Just gave my 2 weeks without giving a justification.  Upon reciept, I was asked why.  I decided I'd give my why on the high road, but man was it tempting to just let it all fly in a manner be fitting a swarm of angry bees.  Here's my response. In the years I've been with the company, the corporate culture has changed dramatically.  I feel as though M*Modal is no longer a good match for where I am currently nor where I'm going in the future.  I value ...

On The Road Satellite Connection?
May 27, 2015

Does anybody know if there are any companies that let you work from satellite or is that illegal now due to HIPAA? Years ago I looked into this and there was a tiny list of companies but it was dwindling so don't know now. Might be taking off in an RV and was wondering if anybody works that way with a satellite dish attached or some other method? Somebody that works like this wrote to me a long time ago and told me she has some little gadget she plugs into her computer and it provide ...

S/l E-trips Ball Or Eclipse Ball Placement (back)
Oct 12, 2010

She had an MRI, which indicted disc problems at L5-S1. In late 2008, she had a lumbar laminectomy and discectomy.  She also had the application of an (________) ball placement for relief of discomfort and in place of a fusion.     S/L e-trips ball or eclipse ball DX is unhelpful --  "back pain, status postoperative" ...