A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Lousy dictating doctor - Frustrated transcriber

Posted: Sep 01, 2012

Why do we get berated when the doctor is known to be a mumbler and you know he knows what he is doing? This guy CONSTANTLY has blanks in his reports, no accent, no excuse.  He's just lazy and doesn't care.  I wish there was a way of issuing fines for these doctors when they get these many blanks in their reports.  You'd think it would be some sort of legal issue since the reports are basically incomplete.  Just a thought.

Scribble - Elssa

[ In Reply To ..]
I remember years ago hearing that a local hospital required their doctors who scribbled (prescriptions, etc) to take handwriting classes. They recognized that patients can die if the pharmacist misreads the doctor's illegible scribble and gives the patient the wrong medication or the wrong dose.

Seems like there should also be mandatory dictation classes for the mumblers. Maybe having to spend their "precious time" in a class would get them to talk normally. :p

These doctors are acting like irresponsible children, and they should be forced back to school. Hah!

Doctors forced to take classes... - Elssa

[ In Reply To ..]
Just found this article:

http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=2472&dat=20001008&id=MzUzAAAAIBAJ&sjid=kggGAAAAIBAJ&pg=6262,2255249

Interesting article - Leaving MT

[ In Reply To ..]
The hardest thing for me sometimes is insulin. Our audio quality is somewhat degraded, and 50 sounds like 60 and 20 sounds like 30, etc. With insulin, it is really hard. I have one doc who always dictates "mirtazapine 15 mg, that's one-five mg..." but he never, ever does that for insulin. I figure someone sometime transcribed the mirtazapine as 50 mg instead of 15 in one of his reports, but to me that's an easy one to verify and a good MT should know mirtazapine is 15 not 50. The insulin on the other hand, well let's just say he gets a lot of blanks on those difficult-to-discern dosages, yet he never bothers to be more clear and just slurs right on through the insulin dosages. I doubt this will ever be a reality, but when residents are learning how to dictate, they all should transcribe some reports to get a feel for how things come across.
one doctor's view - also leaving
[ In Reply To ..]
A friend of mine worked as a registered nurse. She was sitting beside a doc at the front desk while he was dictating, at the dreaded "auctioneer speed." She jokingly asked him if he realized someone had to listen to his dictation and understand it. He replied, "They like it when we talk fast." Uh, okay.
Classes for Docs - Gerri
[ In Reply To ..]
If they took classes for dictating reports, this would probably do away with transcriptionists' jobs. Everybody would be an editor because the VR reports would improve. A no-win situation, or so it appears.
Sociopaths - Elssa
[ In Reply To ..]
Well, I don't think these doctors have any interest in improving, so it's never going to happen IMO. I think they enjoy giving us and everyone they can a hard time. Makes them feel important in a sick, twisted way I guess. Real sociopaths.. They only care about themselves. :p

Similar Messages:

OK I Have A Doctor Dictating A Re-dictation
Mar 14, 2012

I distinctly remember doing the original dictation a few weeks back...Now I have to wonder if I got paid for that job...How do they get lost? this was a unique kind of report so there is no doubt in my mind it was transcribed and sent through... ...

Dear Dictating Doctor...
Jul 18, 2013

Dear dictating doctor, if you can't speak Engilish, please do not waste my time or yours.   Thank you.    I really feeling making a macro of this and putting at the end of every impossible ESL dictating doctor. Seriously, what are some docs thinking?  Can't come up with words, sentance structure horrible, changing mind every sentance.   Please, I implore..GET SOMEONE TO DICTATE FOR FOR YOU!!!!!!! ...

Hey Doctor, Why Not Just Eat Lunch While You're Dictating!
Sep 14, 2014

Yeah! - kill two birds with one stone.  Chew that food thoroughly too, roll it around in your mouth with your mouth open and smack up that taste, then swallow hard while pronouncing a crucial word.   I hate you!! ...

How Do You Report A Doctor For Dictating On A Cell Phone?
Jan 04, 2010

He's been told and told not to do this and he still does it.  Isn't that  HIPAA violation, since cell phones are not secure? ...

Doctor Is Dictating Quick-Tape Cast
Jun 21, 2010

Doctor is dictating Quick-Tape cast.  Is it Quick-Tape cast, quick-tape cast, or Quik-Tape cast?  Cannnot document any of these.  TIA for any help. ...

Doctor Dictating See Patient Back Peripherally.
May 29, 2014

Doctor repeatedly dictates at end of her office  notes will see patient back peripherally.  When asked about this, she says yes, that is what she means to say.  Has anyone heard of "PERIPHERALLY" used in this manner in dictation?  If so, what does this mean because I cannot verify this as being correct.  Thanks :) ...

Doctor Is Dictating MR SPECT, Should SPECT Be Capitalized? TIA (nm)
Dec 28, 2011

xx ...

Lousy Paycheck
Apr 24, 2010

this is  the second time my check was waaaay low than what I usually receive.  I don't know what is going on.  I know with each payperiod I decided to spend a considerable amount of time looking up old reports because they cut too much into my production.  I thought last payperiod I maybe did it 3 times.  I have decided to only use it once or none at all.when I double check to make sure none are going to QA it looks correct as it says zero submission rate. ...

My Lousy Paycheck
Jul 31, 2010

Just wanted to say that I just looked at my bank account as I got pad yesterday.  What a nightmare.  I will have a horrible weekend now because of that.  Last year I made $13,000 for the year with MT, down from $26,000 the year before, and down from $40,000 back in the good old days.  My income for this year will probably go before $13,000 for my taxes.  My check was $682 for 2 weeks and that was with having work most of the time.  And they have not taken out for me ...

First Job Of The Shift: A Lousy 40 Sec Job And Now
Jan 20, 2013

This so sucks ...

Does Anyone Else Have The ONE Lousy Dictator
Jun 20, 2015

resign yourself to getting minimum wage or close for that pay period, especially when said dictator dictates a long string of reports and you seem to get them ALL?    Ugh.  You don't know how bad I just want to QUIT right this second.  ...

Anybody Else Ever Listened To The Same Lousy Dictator
Jul 12, 2010

until they were to the point of tears or even in tears.  I have had the same dictator over and over for the last 1/1-2 hours who sounds like she has the microphone in her mouth.  I don't know how much more I can take of this.  Unfortunately, the next account I know I have to go into is back-to-back of the same ESL who hasn't mastered the English language and dictates at the speed of light.  Sorry, just had to vent.  I'm just about ready to pull my hair out ...

Can And Should Lousy Credit Prevent Someone From Getting An MT Job?
Jan 27, 2011

If someone has lousy credit, why would this matter for an MT position?  Maybe there are extenuating circumstances why their credit isn't good, like loss of previous job, death in the family or other emergencies.  ...

Totally Worthless Lousy CPs
Jul 21, 2011

It would be so HELPFUL if the CPs were in any kind of uniform order with divided sections, maybe, so you would know where to look for the same info from CP to CP. ...

Aside From The Lousy ASR, Is The Sound Getting Worse Or
Mar 08, 2012

is the doctors?  I have had a terrible time lately hearing/understanding them no matter what adjustments I make to tone, speed, etc.   ...

Confused About This New Lousy Insurance
Nov 13, 2012

Okay, I'm totally confused now.  I received an email this morning saying the employee contributions were wrong, sorry for the concern or inconvience this caused.  I go to the benefits site, as suggested, and see they are now INCREASED to $99 biweekly for regular medical coverage instead of the initally posted cost of $69 biweekly.  If I was concerned then, what am I now?  Someone mentioned below the cost was $160 per month.  What the heck?  Are Transcend e ...

Lousy Dictators - Coughing, Hacking, Sneezing, And Sniffling
Dec 30, 2012

I am currently doing a dictation by a doctor who normally is not that bad, but today he is coughing, hacking, sneezing, and sniffling to the point that he is nearly impossible to understand.  Doc, if you're that sick, you need to stay home and not make your patients any sicker.  Doesn't do me any good either having to try to make out what you're saying.  'Nuff said.  ...

Overheard A Doctor Telling Another Doctor...
Oct 15, 2010

20 years ago when the DRG's hit the hospitals, one  was complaing to the other... "they treat doctors like a bunch of old dogs now".  Well, that's how  MTs are being treated now.  Why on God's green earth do the MT services require all MT's to work at least one weekend day every week (Friday's and Monday's  don't count). Every ad I see on the Job Seeker board requires weekends.  Are they sadistic or something.  Why do we put u ...

Lousy Dictators - Crappy, Hard To Understand Dictators, Both ESL And English-speaking
May 17, 2014

Today I will make less than half of what I normally get because all I've gotten today are crappy, hard to understand dictators, both ESL and English-speaking.  Seems like all I get lately are the hard to understand, mush-mouth dictators.  Guess Nuance doesn't want their MTs making quota.  Sorry.  I just had to vent. ...

Not Dictating Mg With Dose...what To Do?
Nov 25, 2009

The doctor is not including the word mg with doses of medication. Do I just transcribe what I hear or insert it? IE- simvastatin 10, vitamin E 400 b.i.d., metformin 850 b.i.d., ibuprofen 400 p.r.n ...

Dictating Out Of Order
Dec 07, 2009

This is driving me crazy!  My main account has several docs that dictate their review of systems and PE out of body system order, like instead of the neck head down, they dictate the abdomen or extremities first.  ...

Okay, I Have A New Resident Dictating A
Jul 02, 2010

3-day hopsital stay discharge summary.  It is 30 minutes long.  This going to be fun.  ...

YAWNING AND DICTATING
Jul 13, 2010

I very seldom vent or complain, but it has just got to me today.  This surgeon does such good dictation, EXCEPT when he yawns and continues to dictate.  How in the world does he think we can understand him when he does this.  It is not a little yawn either.  It almost makes me shutter when he does it.  I am sorry, I just had to finally vent after listening to him for 10 years. ...

Gah! Hang Up When You're Done Dictating!!!
Oct 01, 2010

He does this all the time...turns a 1.5-2 min dictation into a 15 minute dictation.  I fast forward through it, but I still have to "listen" to the whole file before I can turn in the dictation.  This is on top of being a horrible dictator; he whispers, shuffles papers, etc, and has extremely long pauses between words.  Gah!!!! Okay, just had to get that out of my system.  Thanks! ...

One Or 1 When Dictating Medication
Nov 06, 2010

I have always thought the numbers less than 10 should be in numeral form if referring to medication.  So I thought 1 tablet of Vicodin a day would be the appropraite way to type it or 2 tablets of Vicodin a day.  However, I am not sure.  Any ideas? ...

Resident Dictating
Mar 16, 2011

I've got a resident dictating and is on the PE.  "Blood pressure 110/80 and ___________ was 65 and regular." I know that the blank would be heart rate, but the res says something like "balance" or "bowels"....is there a new term or an old one that has escaped me? TIA ...

Gum Chewing While Dictating
May 21, 2011

I'm going freaking nuts!  I am trying to transcribe a resident's dictation (bad enough), but she's smacking and chewing gum throughout the whole thing.  It's so loud that I can hardly make out what she's saying.  I don't very often rant and rave, but ... I DON'T GET PAID TO HEAR SOMEONE CHEW GUM!!!!   ...

RNs Dictating - GRrrrrr!
Apr 10, 2012

Okay, if you're going to have an RN, FNP, or PA dictate for you, at least make sure they know the terminology!    I just suffered through at 10 minute discharge summary on a patient post CVA, and this lady was reading the CT scan and MRI reports of the brain into the record with clearly no idea at all of what she was reading or what it meant or how to pronounce the parts of the brain.  Thank goodness I've been around long enough to be able to get and idea and fill in so ...

EATING WHILE DICTATING!!!!!!!!!!!!
May 03, 2012

SO SICK OF DICTATORS EATING HARD CANDY, CHEWING GUM AND EATING CRUNCHY FOOD WHILE DICTATING!!!!!!!!!! NERVE WRACKING AND TIME CONSUMING WHILE WAITING FOR THEM TO MOVE THEIR FOOD AROUND AND SWALLOW!!!  NOT TO MENTION THE RATTLING OF CHIP BAGS....HOW UNPROFESSIONAL CAN YOU GET?????????? ...

So The Doc Just Sneezed While She Was Dictating
Aug 13, 2012

The doc sneezes twice and I muttered to myself "God bless you."  Apparently someone in the office did, too, because then the doc said "thank you."  The timing was perfect and it made me laugh.   ...