A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Anybody else ever listened to the same lousy dictator - wannie

Posted: Jul 12, 2010

until they were to the point of tears or even in tears.  I have had the same dictator over and over for the last 1/1-2 hours who sounds like she has the microphone in her mouth.  I don't know how much more I can take of this.  Unfortunately, the next account I know I have to go into is back-to-back of the same ESL who hasn't mastered the English language and dictates at the speed of light.  Sorry, just had to vent.  I'm just about ready to pull my hair out. 

Outrageous! - MT

[ In Reply To ..]
Actually, with HIPAA and requirements for near-perfection, QA and all that, I think such dictations should be outlawed. There has to be a better way. Not only is it ESLs, but English-speaking ones who do not try too hard to do a good job. Does anyone at these facilities every inform the dictators on better dictation techniques? I really doubt it, because MTs think it is part of their job to just deal with it.

CORRECTION - MT

[ In Reply To ..]
Actually, a better way to describe it is that MTs have been brainwashed or "trained" to think that it is part of their job to put up with lousy dictations. I say that we are entitled to clear dictations by someone who can speak English and in a clear, distinct manner. If necessary, the facilities should have to hire someone to do the dictations for those who cannot speak well. Maybe they think that VR and/or the "point and click" system is going to fix this??

For the grammar conscious, it should have been "ever", not "every."

These are jokes, right? - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
So you think some of us have been brainwashed into accepting lousy dictators? I've read about entitlement thinking in employees, but to see it so blatantly expressed is amazing. You feel the hospital should spend money to pay somebody to make the job easier for you, a 'mere' MT. It really won't take that hospital long to figure out the better way is to just not hire MTs who cannot do the job (and I'm not including the OP in that group).

You keep telling employers that you deserve English as a first language, clear, articulate dictators (you know, the ones that go to VR now) and let us know how that goes for you. In the meantime, the rest of us will accept the fact that it's the things that you think are beneath you that keep us employed.
Good for you - MT
[ In Reply To ..]
I am glad that you are comfortable with being treated with disrespect. You will remain happy in this profession for as long as you want. It seems that the brainwashing has been effective in your case.

However, I expect better.

Nope, no joke.
no jokes - mmt
[ In Reply To ..]
It has nothing to do with disrespect, but in this line of work the MT has ALWAYS been expected to make heads and tails of the jibberish the "doctor gods" spew out. Growh thicker skin and defend yourself!

If a job was really that bad, why in the world would you spend your precious time trying to decipher it? Report the dictator, call your CCM and if you don't get results, do what I did, REFUSE TO DO THAT DICTATOR! It took me a couple of calls and then I had to insist that they listen to mine, but I didn't cry about it, I was proactive.

I've got no problems sending a report through full of blanks! I place the blame square on the dictator and defend my work.

I think a lot more MTs need to get proactive and take steps to make our workplace better, for our sanity sake, and also to show our employer that we're not going to tolerate being blamed for the quality of the reports when we have to deal with horrible dictators.
mmt - see message
[ In Reply To ..]
If I were to "refuse to do that dictator" on my job... I would have just been released for failure to perform job description.

Not everyone can be proactive and get away with it, and those of us who cannot, prefer to cry about it.
No "entitlement" here, we just want half a chance at - being able to actually do our jobs. nm
[ In Reply To ..]
Do you think you're the only one getting ESLs, chewers, and - mumblers?
[ In Reply To ..]
If so, here's a newsflash. You're not. I get about 50/50 split of ESL/EFL. Of my EFL, about 50% of them are fast-talking sons-of-gun. Of the other 50%, on any given day some of them are going to be in a hurry to get done, driving on the cell, eating lunch, or trying not to wake the baby.

I don't think the quality of the work has gotten any harder in the last 20 or so years. Harder to make a buck with different ways of counting lines, paying less, etc., but the work is the same.

If somebody really believes that every dictator they transcribe should be a perfectly cadenced, almost pathologically focused, orator, then that is indeed a feeling of entitlement, because despite what your schooling may have led you to believe, ESL, mumblers, yawners, and munchers are a fact in this industry. So you either learn to get it or get out. The choice is really that simple.
I think you hit it right on the head. - See message
[ In Reply To ..]
Some of the schools must be using very easy reports. It looks like some are getting out of school with no skills in ESL at all, a little like some of the practice reports I heard once that were read by announcers instead of doctors. No wonder they get out of school and are perpetually in 'deer-in-headlights' mode.
To hit-on-head: When I graduated from MT school, - you were likely still in diapers.
[ In Reply To ..]
Not unless you're over 60, but I don't know what you are implying - Schools back then? I doubt it
[ In Reply To ..]
I'm not sure what that means exactly and not wanting to fight with you. I don't think there were any schools way back then, were there?
I am, and there were. We also werent lied-to - about our career-choice. - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
Our instructor was Transcription Mgr. at a very prestigious university medical school. She not only taught newbies how to transcribe, she also taught newbie docs how to dictate. If any of them dictated garbage like we routinely get today, they were reprimanded and told to redictate. Yes, we learned how to do ESLs. They were almost as bad back then, but again, they were under pressure to speak clearly, more so than now. And they were far less plentiful.

I'm not saying I don't want to ESLs, some of my favorite dictators are ESLs, one of them is someone hardly anyone else can understand. But the difference is, he TRIES. And his employer tries to make sure he doesn't have a tired old 1980s dictating system to work with. Some of the wheezy old systems my employer expects us to work with should be shot, and put out of their misery.
PS: Also been back to school several times since - the original. Each one was a little worse.
[ In Reply To ..]
Each time, they taught less, cared less. By then it wasn't about continuing to bring quality MTs into the workforce, it was all about the money.
Re: Your rude reply: I didnt say "I", I said "we". All - of us are putting up with this.
[ In Reply To ..]
Get over the martyr complex.
You're the one with the Erin Brockovich complex. Most of us just - think we are doing our jobs. nm
[ In Reply To ..]
x
Yeah, and I guess the docs who complain about blanks - must think theyre doing theirs, too. NOT.
[ In Reply To ..]
No need to be so snippy - You lose any credibility at all
[ In Reply To ..]
Just lighten up. No need to be so rude. WOW!
dictation is not about the MTs, it's about the patient - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
If a doctor can't be understood by experienced MTs who do this for a living, then clearly the doctor is at fault and the patient pays for it. We've all had doctors who make up words, use incorrect pronunciation, are unable to finish a sentence properly. Expecting them to speak clearly enough that the record can be transcribed accurately is not entitlement.

Hello..... - Aspiring coder

[ In Reply To ..]
We need to remember who is paying our salary, either directly or through a service. We work for them, not the other way around. Physicians have more important things to do than worrying about whether their MT likes their dictation.
It's not a matter of just not liking their dictation. - wannie
[ In Reply To ..]
There's also this thing called common courtesy. Most doctors demand respect but don't want to give respect back. I transcribe one physician that if I were his nurse I probably would have already whacked him up side the head or time or two for the way he talks to them. While he's dictating, he's usually yelling at the nurses about one thing or another (sometimes justified, sometimes not). I have a feeling that if I went into one these physician's offices and mumbled, ate, coughed right in their ear, kept my hand over my mouth to talk so that everything came out muffled, they would call my hand on it and ask me to speak more clearly so that I could be understood. The physician needs to remember that they are dictating what becomes a legal medical record.
Yes, they are occasionally thoughtless. - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
So is my husband. But the one poster wanted to do away with ESL dictators and English speakers who didn't speak clearly enough (truly a subjective call). How they treat the nurses is between the nurse, the doc, and the hospital.

This is the nature of transcription. They don't all dictate like James Earl Jones. If they did, they wouldn't even need MTs to edit since VR would produce a perfect report every time.
Okay, I give up. All doctors are wonderful and should be - wannie
[ In Reply To ..]
to dictate any way they want to and treat people any way they want to just because they MD behind their name. After all, I only do this job for fun. I don't really need any money. I don't like to eat. I don't like to be able to pay my bills (yeah, right). I'm here just so the doctor can spit out dictations any way they want to knowing that somebody will clean it up for them.
Well, yeah. That's our job. - nm
[ In Reply To ..]
x
well yeah.... - magsnfla
[ In Reply To ..]
No, that's not our job. We are not supposed to supply sentence structure and undangle their misplaced modifiers. They make a lot of money to do their job, whether they do it well or not, and dictation is part of that job. It's only purpose is CYA for them, so they should take it seriously. We are not supposed to guess at what they mean to say and they should speak in whole words not just syllables. Our job is to block out the noise that is not the dictator's fault, like the background, etc., and correct human errors, i.e., left and right, etc., that happen to all of us. The quality of the dictation in American medicine is appalling - it has gone downhill just as has every other aspect of our society. People do not take pride in what they do - everyone whines and complains because they don't make as much money as they think they should. If you take a job, you do it as excellently as you possibly can - period.
Who told you that? They were mistaken - See comment
[ In Reply To ..]
The job of the medical transcriptionist is to take all of the sounds and noises and turn them into a medical report. Not everyone can do that. Not everyone even wants to do that. For those who want to accept that job, that's the way it is. You can pretend that it's something else, but it never has been and never will be. It is what it is. Learn to do it graciously or find something else that you enjoy. It's really that simple.
she's right, you're NOT supposed to guess - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
The big MT schools teach you unequivocally that you are NOT supposed to guess at meaning if it's unclear. If the doctor says "1000 mg Voltaren" you can't correct it -- did the doctor screw up the dosage or the medication? Or both? You CAN'T guess at these things.
You're late to the dance, but you seem to be seeing - words that are not there.
[ In Reply To ..]
Where did the above poster say to guess? Or is that in the post with the bashing of new MTs? As someone on this board has gotten fond of saying, you don't know what it is you don't know. And using your own example, how many would just let a wrong med go by because they don't know any better? A good MT is going to know to flag a report if they place a McIvor gag to do a pilonidal cystectomy; an unqualified one will let it fly through because the words are spelled right and that's what the doctor said. So unpuff; no guessing required or suggested.
Who told you... - magsnfla
[ In Reply To ..]
I've been doing for 30 years. I know my job and I take pride in it. However, I do not consider myself a doctor like some MTs do. This is a job, not a profession and it requires skill and concentration. It is not our job to make the medical report - our job is to transcribe the medical report of the particular dictator we are dealing with. Unless it's hospital dictation and they have specific guidelines about what to correct on the dictation, it's up to the individual. Of course I'll flag discrepancies and I have done that 10 times more in the past 10 years that I did in the prior 20.
With the culture of litigiousness in this country, esp. regarding health care providers, dictators need to be extremely careful about what they dictate. If I'm reading your post correctly, you seem to say it's the MT's responsibility to conjure up a medical report - no, it is not. It's the doctor's report, not ours.
I don't disagree with you. We're saying the same thing. - Who told you ...
[ In Reply To ..]
My point is that the whole mess MTs deal with is part of the job. It's the doctor's report and the medical transcriptionist has to work with what we are given to work with. We have to be skilled enough to know what we don't know and not mess with the medical content. It's never going to be easy and never was.
Agree. And, MTSOs/clients who want those blank-free - reports should invest all the money theyre - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
not paying us well in some decent, up-to-date dictation equipment. Far too many of our sound files sound like they were dictated with two tin cans and a string.
To Wannie - Aspiring coder
[ In Reply To ..]
If this is a big issue for you at your job, is there a manager that you could speak to or could you get assigned to some different accounts so that maybe you could at least get a temporarty break from the ones that drive you nuts? We all have them, I guess I've learned to take the good with the bad. I thought cleaning up dictation was what we were hired to do.
Apparently you, and most of us, read the wrong matchbook cover. - the world owes us easy money. nm
[ In Reply To ..]
x
Cleaning up dictation that is halfway audible and - intelligible? Yes. Magically knowing - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
exactly what is being said on a scratchy, skipping recording? NO.

Magically being able to understand every nuance of the English languge, when it is spoken too fast to be understood, or butchered by some foreign tongue mixed in? NO.
Guess that's the difference between an MT and a wannabe - nm
[ In Reply To ..]
x
Umm, I think its the difference between and MT - and MANAGEMENT.
[ In Reply To ..]
It's just too darned easy to tell the difference. You haven't fooled anyone. Isn't it time for a meeting somewhere? Or locking your office door and taking a nap?
LOL The equivalent of politic's Hitler. When unable to make your point, - cry management. Nice try, though. nm
[ In Reply To ..]
x
Your snotty, condescending attitude about a legitimate - MT complaint speaks VOLUMES.
[ In Reply To ..]
;p
And the need to hire someone to speak non-accented English - says a lot about skill levels. nm
[ In Reply To ..]
x
I never said that; that was OP, and I think she was - just emphasizing her point.
[ In Reply To ..]
Then someone who fancies themselves the Queen of All Transcription somehow took offense at that remark, and went ballistic.
No, I wasn't the one who said that. It was someone else. nm - wannie
[ In Reply To ..]
nm
see, Wannie; posters do not know Who Said What; posts are flying .... - Out Of Control. n/m
[ In Reply To ..]
nm
Its Monday. Were cranky. We hate our jobs. - Venting keeps us sane (sort of). nm
[ In Reply To ..]
X
From a QA standpoint if she tries to clean it up as you say - and does it wrong....
[ In Reply To ..]
It is HER butt on the line - not the dictator. put the blame where it really belongs - on lazy dictators who can not or will not take the time to dictate clearly. It is not up to a mere MT (with any level of education al all) to interpret what a highly educated person MEANS to say - if the MT makes a mistake in guessing the doctor's intent, it could mean her job, not just a slap on the wrist.

It has nothing to do with work ethic and everything to do with crap rolling downhill....

Don't blame the MT for protecting her hide.
it's a specialized skill - re: okay...
[ In Reply To ..]
I understand you're frustrated, but I have to agree with the poster above.

Verbal skills may or may not accompany medical expertise. Not everyone speaks clearly or skillfully.

I don't believe you should expect a dictator to adhere to your specifications.

A good ear is only one of the talents that MTs possess, and cannot be underrated.
Docs are no longer paying our wages. Thats a big - part of the problem. Theyre clueless.
[ In Reply To ..]
Thank you, middlemen. Once again, you've screwed up a lot of careers.
But starting to separate the wheat from the chaff. - nm
[ In Reply To ..]
x

sometimes tears, sometimes yelling swear words at computer .... - n/m

[ In Reply To ..]

The whole transcription industry just sucks, period. - Livewire

[ In Reply To ..]
x

Perspectives differ - MT

[ In Reply To ..]
Well, of course, we all are not the same. Some have different degrees of what they can accept as far as abuse from a dictating clinician. We certainly all have the choice of whether to tolerate it or not. However, I say that the industry has been around long enough that it has learned how to treat the MT. I truly believe, and I do not expect every other MT to agree with me, that it has always been the MTs as a group who have determined how they can be treated by facilities, MTSOs, physicians, or other dictating clinicians.

As for me, there is a limit to how much abuse I will tolerate. I am saddened that any MT would tolerate any of it, as it does impact the industry for all of us when MTs allow themselves to be abused. And, if MTs were never to have tolerated it, changes would have been made long before now.

Why is it that some MTs expect and accept (some more willingly) such treatment? Again, we have been trained and/or brainwashed to do so, and controlled by fear.
How is it abuse to have an ESL dictating? - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
Is abuse defined by someone being unable to do the job? So the NBA is abusing me because they won't let me out there on the hardwood with Lebron? I don't know if you've been in a hospital recently, but some of the best surgeons we have in the cardiology and neurosurgery specialties right now come from other lands. Perhaps if someone feel abused by typing ESLs, which seem to be a fact of life in the MT industry, they would be best served by finding a different career where everyone speaks with an Omaha non-accent.
ESL or non-ESL, when they dictate at the speed of light, - wannie
[ In Reply To ..]
don't enunciate well enough to be understand, whisper to dictate, eat, chew gum, yawn and never stop talking, to the point that they cannot be understand doesn't mean that I am unable to do the job. If a basketball player is given a flat basketball and can't dribble it, does that mean he is unable to do his "job." No, it means he wasn't given the proper tools with which to do his "job." It's the same principle, sometimes the ability to do the job well depends on what you have to work with.
And I guess some people just have more natural - skill than others.
[ In Reply To ..]
Yes, a rapid-talker is never a treat, although I personally prefer them to someone who speaks so slowly that a half page of transcription is in a 10 minute report.

I don't feel the flat basketball is the best of analogies, as in this case I would think of that as more the computer and transcription server. In addition, the dictators are not "broken" just because some cannot decipher them.

The easiest of the dictators have gone to voice recognition. And this is what is left. And if someone is unable to transcribe them, then they really should find other work because the pickings will get progressively worse as the technology gets more and more sophisticated, and the same people who are unable to hear it to transcribe it will be unable to hear it to edit it.
I notice you didn't address any of the other things mentioned - wannie
[ In Reply To ..]
saving that of a rapid talker. Yep, I too would rather have a fast talker than one who takes 45 minutes to dictate 12 lines. Get real, though, being able to hear something whisper, understand what they say in the middle of yawn or while they crunch away on potato chips has absolutely NOTHING to do with skill. The point is, only so much can be done with those particular types of dictators.
And I still say that's where skill is involved. - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
First, if you've got eight hours of a dictator eating the same bag of potato chips, then you've got a right to complain. However, if Dr. X, who usually is a great guy to type, happened to called in at 3:00 in the morning to do attend a trauma and he has the gall to yawn after performing a two hour operation, I say you deal with it. We all get crappy dictators and in between we get good dictators (at least those of us that are not ESL-averse). And today's good dictator has an occasional bad day. So what? That's why the hospitals and MTSOs have a system in place for blanks if it truly is inaudible. But if all the reports getting sent in look like swiss cheese, I suspect the problem lays more in the MT than the dictator(s).
Skill can't make words appear that can't be heard; - wannie
[ In Reply To ..]
however,delusion can.
And that's where I mentioned a procedure for blanks. - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
But if a bunch of blanks are being sent in yet somehow QA is able to fill them in, then a career reassessment may be in order.

Contrary to the back of the matchbook and the TV commercials on in the wee hours of the morning, not everyone can be an MT.
You are still missing the whole point. I didn't say - wannie
[ In Reply To ..]
anything about leaving a bunch of blanks that QA can fill in. I'm simply try to stress the point that repeat offenders need to be trained and they need to be held accountable just like the MT is held accountable.
And you apparently missed the flow of the conversation - in its entirety
[ In Reply To ..]
Someone else used the phrasing "brainwashed to accept" earlier up (don't know whether it was you or whether two people used the same phraseology). But in the previous example, it used typing ESLs to be an example of the brainwashing, and felt it should be required that the hospitals hire someone just to make that particular MTs life easy.

Well I hate to burst that little (brainwashed into a sense of entitlement maybe?) bubble, but if you get hospitals to do that, there goes that job because it's now in VR.

And I repeat, we all get dictators that ain't great, but we balance it with the ones that are okay. If unable to do that, perhaps a change of scenery is in order.
I wasn't the one who used that terminology, but I - wannie
[ In Reply To ..]
do know what the conversation is about, I started it. Somewhere along the way the conversation has changed a couple of times.
The skill is in knowing what to do when you encounter difficult dictation - That is where skills come in
[ In Reply To ..]
We all know there will be difficult dictation. Well, that's not true. Evidently it comes as a surprise to some. The key is knowing how to handle it. That's a skill.
I'm getting hungry after reading about these potato chips - Need a break obviously
[ In Reply To ..]
nm
I see it as a matter of doing the work or go do something else - It is that simple
[ In Reply To ..]
We all have choices. Nobody ever promised us that we would have an easy job. We choice our jobs with all that comes with it, good and bad. If we have more bad than good in our particular job, we need to be thinking about doing something else, or we could just stay here and gripe instead. That's our choice too I guess. Not a good one, but it's a choice.
Wow you must be Super-MT. - LOL
[ In Reply To ..]
ESL or not, there is a huge difference between just - "difficult", and totally UNINTELLIGIBLE.
[ In Reply To ..]
The latter is what I have a beef with. Difficult dictation? Bring it on. But why waste our time (and ultimately theirs) with something NO ONE can transcribe? You know exactly what I'm talking about. We've all had them. Reports that NO HUMAN BEING, and certinly NO ASR, could ever begin to decipher.
There is a big difference - sm - Aspiring coder
[ In Reply To ..]
Between working on site and working at home, in my opinion. On site, if we had doctors who were really horrible, i.e., using profanity, dictating at home with too much background noise, whatever, we could tell our manager about it and he would address it. However, things like accents, providers using poor grammar, etc., just go with the job and we learn how to deal with it. I'm not sure what constitutes abuse. Working for a big company as many of you do, I would guess that much of those things are beyond your control. I know it is frustrating but the "perfect dictators" are few and far between regardless of where we work. We all have to put up with it to some degree if we want to do this job.

Medical transcription has become the armpit of the - business world. And yes, it sux.

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

LOL! Just dont do what I did - I took my frustration - out on my computer, and killed it.

[ In Reply To ..]
Hehe! Baseball bat + PC = really BIG BILL for a new one.

But man oh man -- killing it felt SO good! - PC-Murderer

[ In Reply To ..]
X

IF I EVER COME ON THIS BOARD AND DARE TO - wannie

[ In Reply To ..]
VENT OUT OF FRUSTRATION, SOMEBODY PLEASE CUT MY FINGERS OFF. IT WOULD APPEAR THAT THOSE WHO ARE SO SKILLED AND HAVE MASTERED THIS "JOB" NEVER HAVE A BAD DAY AND JUST NEED TO GET IT OFF THEIR CHEST. AND YES, I'M SHOUTING.

It wasn't your vent that set things off wannie. - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
I think every MT will stand behind a vent. It went downhill when the implication was that hospitals should hire someone to dictate for the ESLs and that they shouldn't be expected to type the tough dictators.

We've all been there with the crappola and done a little venting ourselves. However, to think doing it is somehow beneath you (and I'm using you in the general sense) is where this thread deteriorated.

It doesn't matter where it deteriorated. While I don't - wannie

[ In Reply To ..]
find it realistic to think that any hospital would hire someone to dictate (although a nice thought), everybody is entitled to their opinion and the insinuation should never be there that someone is not skilled simply because they voice how they WISH things could be.
The first post called those willing to do ESLs and the job at hand - brainwashed. Then it went on from there. n/m
[ In Reply To ..]
x
That person is still entitled to their opinion whether any of - wannie
[ In Reply To ..]
us agree with him/her or not. It doesn't make him/her unskilled, just maybe unreaslistic in expectations of what this job is all about.
Proved a point - MT
[ In Reply To ..]
The argument here has proven that MTs have designed the industry to be what it is today.

What's so difficult to understand about training "bad" dictators to be better, and requiring it of them. If never told that eating while dictating causes difficulty for the MT, then they will remain clueless and not apt to change. From what I've observed most HIM directors would rather have the MTs deal with it than confront the almighty dictators.

Being humans, the dictating clinicians could use some extra training.

But, again, the arguments presented here, have proven to me why those dictating the reports are still continuing with the same bad habits and getting away with it. Because they can!! And, they may be unaware that any improvement is needed because no one is communicating with them regarding their poor techniques.

Yes, you proved a point, but I don't think it was the one - that you intended. nm
[ In Reply To ..]
x
I agree that training dictators shouldn't be difficult - wannie
[ In Reply To ..]
to understand and is not an unrealistic expectation. After all, most people do have to be trained for major aspects of their chosen profession. The only part of it that would be unrealistic would be believing that any MTSO is actually going to take a stand for their MTs and actually suggest this idea to the hospitals.
ESL Dictators and MT - earlymusicus
[ In Reply To ..]
I've just graduate from my one-year MT program and we received almost NO experience in dictating reports by ESL dictators. As I read these postings, I am gettin really worried about my ability to do MT. I'm seriously thinking of going back to school (if I can find the funds) and go through the medical coding program instead. MT is beginning to worry me.
ESL dictators and MT - Viva
[ In Reply To ..]
Every tape we have had at my program has featured ESL dictators with heavy accents, though there were some clear native speakers as well. The Indian accent is hardest for me.
ESL Dictators and MT - earlymusicus
[ In Reply To ..]
And boy! did I make some mistakes in that posting. I need to preview my postings better before hitting the "post" button!
Just what do you bring to the table then that VR doesn't - probably do better? nm
[ In Reply To ..]
x
The correct terminology without somebody having to - oh me
[ In Reply To ..]
go behind me and redo it.
Not if it's done by "trained" dictators and non-ESL speakers. VR will be perfect - and you will be obsolete. nm
[ In Reply To ..]
x
Absolutely not true. I've done VR in the past and - oh me
[ In Reply To ..]
had wonderful articulate dictators that VR butchered.
Honestly - fixing all those freaking demographic issues that the hospitals - ndmt
[ In Reply To ..]
won't address the doctors about, either. I would be thrilled if VR would deal with those. I am sure if a physician has 8 or more years of schooling, you can teach him how to enter 4 for consultation or the difference between a MRN and a visit ID.

Just my vent for the day...

Or to key in the correct numbers for a change! How in - the #*!@ do they ever balance a checkbook?
[ In Reply To ..]
nm

another clarification - MT

[ In Reply To ..]
I am the one that made the brainwash comment, and it was totally misunderstood. I still don't think that we should be trained to think that we should always accept every awful dictation as "that's just the way it is." Dictators, as well as facilities and clients/MTSOs should be held responsible for the poor quality of dictation that we get. Period. Why is that concept so difficult to comprehend and why did it cause such a big debate? Do we strive for a peinful work experience?

BTW, I am not against ESLs. But, as an example, I do have a problem with a few ESLs who also speed talk and suck on hard candy, slur and eat while speaking. No one who works directly with them will confront them on this issue, or even inform them that their dictation habits are creating transcription difficulties!!
That's painful, not peinful - MT
[ In Reply To ..]
Also, it is incorrect to assume that I am unable to do the job, just because I think dictators should be trained and held accountable. Back in the days when we deciphered doctors' handwriting, they were quite approachable and we were not afraid to speak with them directly. Many of them were unaware that we were having difficulty reading their writing. I suspect that the same scenario would be repeated today.

When I worked at a hospital in the HIM department, the manager, by the way, would not speak directly with doctors. As a matter of fact, she did not like speaking directly with anyone. If we were five feet away from her, she would still communicate via email. So, the bad dictations continued. It didn't help that that job was AT the facility.

I guess my main "complaint" is that communication between managers and dictating clinicians is just not happening. If clinicians were required to re-dictate, or charged an extra fee for bad dictation, I think they would be motivated to change. Otherwise, what motivation do they have?

Earlier today, I experienced an episode of severe dizziness as a result of a nurse practitioner coughing very loudly into the microphone. Should I just accept this as part of the job, too?

There are ways to vent appropriately. People do it all the time. - nm

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

I honestly thought I was venting appropriately when I - wannie

[ In Reply To ..]
started this whole thread. If you will go back and read my original post, I think you will see that I know how to vent appropriately, too.
sounds like most of these posters think Wannie and MT are the same person. - n/m
[ In Reply To ..]
nm
We're not. What I say I gladly take the credit for it. nm - wannie
[ In Reply To ..]
nm
and, I think most of the posts are bashing the Brainwash, et cetera, comments - by MT. n/m
[ In Reply To ..]
nm
Still, it has gotten way out of hand and from now I'll - wannie
[ In Reply To ..]
just keep my vents to myself. I just think it's sad when you can't actually show your human side and come here (after all, as work-at-home MTs we really are rather isolated) without starting a huge argument because somebody doesn't like another's opinion.
NO WAY...you come here and vent all you want. - ndmt
[ In Reply To ..]
The only reason people jump on this board and attack your MT skills when you vent about something is to further isolate us and shut us up. Their reasons for doing that are there own, but I suspect they somehow benefit from us being isolated and ignorant of how other MTs really feel and what they really experience.

There are also those cannot follow a thread to save their life and get their panties in a bunch over something that you didn't even say. I think most people who stopped to apply their interpretation skills know that your vent was over a simple frustrating day, so don't let the other people chase you off.

It reminds me a little of grade school when the teacher says "now go back and READ THE STORY IN ORDER."
Or you get those yokels who hijack her thread - for their own goofy ideas. nm
[ In Reply To ..]
x
We are two people - MT
[ In Reply To ..]
Hello,
Wannie and me are two different people.

Wannie, I am sorry that people think that we are the same person, but PLEASE don't ever hesitate to post/vent here on my account.

I will continue to do the same.

AND, I still think that MTs have been brainwashed or "trained" to believe that it is "part of the job" to put up with rude dictating practices by SOME dictating clinicians, which could be ESL or not ESL. ESL has really very little to do with, IMHO. I just think that not enough MTs are standing up for their rights, which affects all of us in the long run.

After much afterthought, I really do believe that "brainwashed" is the proper term to use in this instance.
I think you were venting just fine - why are everyones panties in a bunch
[ In Reply To ..]
too much to read through, but I really don't get what the problem was...

I will tell you for one thing this is like my 12th ESL doctor in a row, and his dictations are 10 to 15 minutes each. people keep sending them back, and I end up doing them. yes it's frustrating...

It's not limited to ESL for me... I had one doctor that had the worst mush mouth ever. I did his work for 3 years, and still left blanks up til the day I quit... he never learned or just didn't care?

Back to why everyone is so upset, I totally missed that...? not to bring it up again, but dont worry about it girl!! been doin this almost 11 year anniversary now... we all have our days!!

Monotony - Tink

[ In Reply To ..]
I feel for ya, Wannie!! You get that "crud!" moment when the next job downloads and it's the same old dictator you were hoping to get rid of. Hang in there....hopefully tomorrow will be better!! =)

Thank you. I'm glad somebody took my post for what - wannie

[ In Reply To ..]
it is, simply a frustrated vent. Yes, hopefully tomorrow will be better.

I am listening to the most beautiful Spanish accent - Slow and Sultry

[ In Reply To ..]
He speaks slowly and clearly, using perfect English grammar, but with a very heavy Spanish accent. It is mesmerizing.

Never has 'regular rate and rhythm' sounded so romantic.

I love seeing this gentleman in my que.

I can completely sympathize - Crabby

[ In Reply To ..]
I have had some that I have cried over many times. I hope, if it is a regular dictator, that you get used to him/her.

Similar Messages:

Does Anyone Else Have The ONE Lousy Dictator
Jun 20, 2015

resign yourself to getting minimum wage or close for that pay period, especially when said dictator dictates a long string of reports and you seem to get them ALL?    Ugh.  You don't know how bad I just want to QUIT right this second.  ...

To New But Old: Could You Help Me? I Listened
Dec 21, 2012

presentation.  I then did the popup blocker thing.  Then I typed ------- in my browser and it said they could not find that website.  What am I doing wrong?  ...

I Should Have Listened
Apr 07, 2015

I should have listened when people said not to request a reversal 'cuz it just gets them PO'ed! I got mine reversed and since then I am being QA'ed into oblivion. Since the new pay plan, I had been doing okay, making more money than before actually, but I got this error, requested a reversal, which I got, and since then it's all downhill. I am having about 5 or 6 times as many reports QA'ed and they are being ridiculous about what they are calling an error. These peo ...

Quality 2.0 - Just Listened To This. S/m
Oct 08, 2014

What a load of crap. How much money was spent on this????? Do they not get it that we'd rather be paid a fair wage???? I'd slow down some and actually give a rat's behind if I was paid better instead of worrying how I am going to pay my bills. what a freaking joke. ...

Just Listened To The Webcast
May 30, 2015

about MT questions submitted.  Then they said "We have some MT questions which we will hand off to Noel and Regina to get answered on their end" or something to that effect.  Which means....no answers. ...

Listened To The 3 P.m. Call. WHAT Is The Rad Rate? Nm
Dec 11, 2012

. ...

Lousy Paycheck
Apr 24, 2010

this is  the second time my check was waaaay low than what I usually receive.  I don't know what is going on.  I know with each payperiod I decided to spend a considerable amount of time looking up old reports because they cut too much into my production.  I thought last payperiod I maybe did it 3 times.  I have decided to only use it once or none at all.when I double check to make sure none are going to QA it looks correct as it says zero submission rate. ...

My Lousy Paycheck
Jul 31, 2010

Just wanted to say that I just looked at my bank account as I got pad yesterday.  What a nightmare.  I will have a horrible weekend now because of that.  Last year I made $13,000 for the year with MT, down from $26,000 the year before, and down from $40,000 back in the good old days.  My income for this year will probably go before $13,000 for my taxes.  My check was $682 for 2 weeks and that was with having work most of the time.  And they have not taken out for me ...

First Job Of The Shift: A Lousy 40 Sec Job And Now
Jan 20, 2013

This so sucks ...

Can And Should Lousy Credit Prevent Someone From Getting An MT Job?
Jan 27, 2011

If someone has lousy credit, why would this matter for an MT position?  Maybe there are extenuating circumstances why their credit isn't good, like loss of previous job, death in the family or other emergencies.  ...

Totally Worthless Lousy CPs
Jul 21, 2011

It would be so HELPFUL if the CPs were in any kind of uniform order with divided sections, maybe, so you would know where to look for the same info from CP to CP. ...

Aside From The Lousy ASR, Is The Sound Getting Worse Or
Mar 08, 2012

is the doctors?  I have had a terrible time lately hearing/understanding them no matter what adjustments I make to tone, speed, etc.   ...

Lousy Dictating Doctor
Sep 01, 2012

Why do we get berated when the doctor is known to be a mumbler and you know he knows what he is doing? This guy CONSTANTLY has blanks in his reports, no accent, no excuse.  He's just lazy and doesn't care.  I wish there was a way of issuing fines for these doctors when they get these many blanks in their reports.  You'd think it would be some sort of legal issue since the reports are basically incomplete.  Just a thought. ...

Confused About This New Lousy Insurance
Nov 13, 2012

Okay, I'm totally confused now.  I received an email this morning saying the employee contributions were wrong, sorry for the concern or inconvience this caused.  I go to the benefits site, as suggested, and see they are now INCREASED to $99 biweekly for regular medical coverage instead of the initally posted cost of $69 biweekly.  If I was concerned then, what am I now?  Someone mentioned below the cost was $160 per month.  What the heck?  Are Transcend e ...

Lousy Dictators - Coughing, Hacking, Sneezing, And Sniffling
Dec 30, 2012

I am currently doing a dictation by a doctor who normally is not that bad, but today he is coughing, hacking, sneezing, and sniffling to the point that he is nearly impossible to understand.  Doc, if you're that sick, you need to stay home and not make your patients any sicker.  Doesn't do me any good either having to try to make out what you're saying.  'Nuff said.  ...

Has Anyone Listened To Any Of The "guest Speakers"?
May 24, 2014

I should.  Is there anything important to be missed if one does not listen?  Has anything been said about increasing our wages from sub-poverty to poverty or maybe even back to where they used to be so we can keep our cars and homes?  Any insight is appreciated. ...

Lousy Dictators - Crappy, Hard To Understand Dictators, Both ESL And English-speaking
May 17, 2014

Today I will make less than half of what I normally get because all I've gotten today are crappy, hard to understand dictators, both ESL and English-speaking.  Seems like all I get lately are the hard to understand, mush-mouth dictators.  Guess Nuance doesn't want their MTs making quota.  Sorry.  I just had to vent. ...

Get Away From Dictator
Dec 28, 2009

Does anybody know how long a report stays in our specific work pool?  I've done a break on a report hoping to get rid of it.  But it keeps showing back up.  I'm trying to make up some sick time, but I just can't understand this garble and have already spent way too much time trying to decipher it.  I've been checking on and off for the last 30 minutes and it keeps showing back up.  Help!!!! ...

Ever Had A Dictator So Bad.......
Apr 25, 2011

you wanted to quit mid shift?????  Sigh.  I had one of those yesterday.  Everytime I see his name come up in my cue I cringe!!!!  He is horrible.  Horrible accent.  I did notice though after doing about 3 or 4 of his reports, my ears becames "trained" on him and I get better with him as time went by.  But still, he is one that just makes my momentum (sp) drop drastically!  Just venting!!!  Thanks for letting me share. ...

Please Somebody Tell This Dictator
Apr 04, 2012

that he does NOT have to say "next sentence" before every sentence.  I'm looking at 16+ minutes of this.....I'm just sayin! ...

Help!!!! Dictator Wants You To Cancel
Dec 03, 2009

What do you do if you are typing on a document for 780 seconds and the dictator at the very end tells you to cancel this and erase everything because she already dictated it?  In all my years I was lucky enough not to get this until now.  I was thinking about sending it in anyway because I just spent all this time on it!!!! ...

This ASR Dictator Is Killing Me!
Dec 06, 2009

This doctor says "ah" inbetween just about every other word.  So I'm spending all my time in the ASR taking out a bunch of "a's"!!! Wouldn't normally ah vent, but I've ah had her a lot ah today! ...

I Clearly Hear The Dictator Say
Jan 26, 2010

Coumadin 30 mg per day. Now, I want to make sure I'm not dreaming here, but that is completely incorrect, right? Maybe I'm having a brain lapse (been an MT for 20 years) but I want to make sure my thinking is correct that this dosage would probably be lethal? I'm going to leave a blank for the dosage, but I just wanted to double check with my MT friends.  I have listened to it many times, and she is positively saying "30 mg per day."   TIA!! ...

Help With Labs/ESL Dictator
Mar 01, 2010

This is what it sounds like. "His WBC 11.48, and his 12.4 and 37.0 PT/PTT were normal." It seems like "PT/PTT were normal." Should be a sentence on its own, but then I'm not sure what the 12.4 and 37.0 lab values would be for. Grr... Any help would be greatly appreciated! ...

Dictator Speed
Mar 15, 2010

I am just curious as to what speed setting to most of you keep it on when doing ASR?  I try to keep mine between 8 and 9 unless it's an extremely slow dictator.  I would like to increase my line count, but I'm afraid if I  speed it up too much I might miss something. ...

I Can't Understand What The Dictator Is Saying
Apr 20, 2010

What do you do when you absolutely cannot understand what the dictator is saying and you work at home on your own.  Can you call the dictator?  Can you request to review the other medical records because chances are, the dictator is saying the same thing that appear on those records? ...

Jerk Dictator
Jun 14, 2010

ESL dictator with very thick accent states:  ...for antibiotic management.  NOT with antibiotic management.  Please learn to transcribe correctly.  Although it wasn't me who made the mistake, it was all I could do to not put in the QA note:  A female is SHE and male is HE and it is vomit not WOMIT, please learn to dictate correctly.  I so wish it was okay to put QA notes to the dictators. ...

Yawning Dictator
Jun 17, 2010

This ANP who is dictating can't make up her mind what she wants to say and constantly corrects herself and then keeps yawning, but doesn't stop the recording or even stop speaking while she's yawning.  It's annoying me PLUS it's making me sleepy now myself. More coffee, please!!!! ...

Dictator Spelled F U B L A R.
Jun 24, 2010

Hemostasis was maintained with a bipolar and fublar.  Dictator spelled FUBLAR, but pronounced as FIBiLAR, or more accurately, FIB-YOU-LAIR.   ...

Dictator Pet Peeve
Oct 12, 2010

I know this is petty, but for some reason, it grates on my nerves to hear:  blah, blah Period space space.   Or Colon space space enter.  I mean, please, are we considered that incompentent?  but on the other end of the spectrum we have those that don't say any punctuation, which is absolutely fine, but a pause would be nice.  It's not necessary to dictate a whole report in one breath. ...