A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

YAWNING AND DICTATING - Nature

Posted: Jul 13, 2010

I very seldom vent or complain, but it has just got to me today.  This surgeon does such good dictation, EXCEPT when he yawns and continues to dictate.  How in the world does he think we can understand him when he does this.  It is not a little yawn either.  It almost makes me shutter when he does it.  I am sorry, I just had to finally vent after listening to him for 10 years.

I have a female resident who does it continually. - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
So that we know how "exhausted" she is? It is so annoying and kind of dangerous when we can't leave a blank and have to reaaaaaly try to hear it.

here is a positive thought on that - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
At least you got to hear the same dictator for 10 years... I bet I have only heard the same dictator twice in 10 years!

STAY POSITIVE!

Good one (and so true!!!) - anonymous

[ In Reply To ..]

Positive thought - Nature

[ In Reply To ..]
That is true. Back 3 years ago, my granddaughter died, I found out I had cancer and had surgery, plus going from 1 acocunt to 27, I was going to quit. I was allowed to keep my primary plus 1 other new account (which I was told was 1 of the hardest accounts). Well, I very rarely get my 1st primary account, and type mostly on the hard account, which even after 3 years, I still struggle with. I was lucky today to even get an OP by my FAVORITE physician today. I am lucky in that my secondary account is so large that I do not have a bunch of other accounts to do, except on holidays and end of the pay period when every one gets on and gets caught up on lines and hours.

Positive thought - anonymous

[ In Reply To ..]
My thoughts with you. Today is 1-year anniversary of death of my granddaughter. Between stress of this job and stress of that, I want to throw up hands most days when I am typing my heart out and spinning my wheels.
sorry for your loss - nana too
[ In Reply To ..]
My heart goes out to you!
To Anonymous - Nature
[ In Reply To ..]
I am so sorry to hear about your granddaughter. The first year is the hardest. My daughter had twins with her next pregnancy (talk about shock). They are such a blessing, but after seeing my daughter grieve so and not the happy person she was before, I wonder if I can ever be happy again. My heart still feels like it is breaking when I remember seeing her trying to give her baby CPR and crying for me to "Help me Mama...my baby, my baby." It still brings me to tears. I just take 1 day at a time and try not to remember. Because of the cancer surgery I had when she was 2 weeks old, I only got to hold her 2 weeks before she died, but she did smile at me. At least I have that to remember.
Yep, a wailing mother is a sound not to be forgotten - anonymous
[ In Reply To ..]
No other feeling quite so helpless. I will never be the same either.

I was kind of moved to read below about the doctors who were moved by the loss of patients. Sometimes they seem so robotic and detached. I would like to have a doctor like those.
Anonymous - Nature
[ In Reply To ..]
My daughter's OB, my GYN, doctor came to the funeral. She was so kind to us both. We have always loved her, and we both hated when we moved from Ohio to Oklahoma. We have not found a good doctor since. The OB/GYN in Ohio always played with my daughter's children and took them around the office showing them off. She even gave the oldest child, Autumm (4 at the time) a necklace and bracelet that belonged to her when she was younger. Oh, how I miss that woman!!!
My son and his wife lost their baby too - Daisy
[ In Reply To ..]
I will never forget the phone call in the middle of the night. The baby was 3 days old and was home and died a crib death. Hearing my son trying to tell me what happened through his sobs is something I will never forget. It's such a helpless feeling. That was 7 years ago and I still cry whenever I think about it. It still makes me so sad that he had to experience such a painful loss. The story about your daughter crying out to you is so heartbreaking. Sometimes life is so hard. I pray for your mother's heart to be healed and for your daughter to be healed and for her heart to be filled with joy and peace.

Horrid dictators - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
I have had the worst dictators today I think ever. Forget ASR - I can't understand this stuff either. Had to send one ER doc to QA to see what they could do with it. I had been through it totally twice and still had multiple blanks. I am so nervous, I am reduced to eating chocolate chips to calm down. If I had drugs or alcohol in the house, I would use them. Good grief this is stupid.

Not laughing at your misery, but.... - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
I did 'bout bust a gut' laughing when I read about popping chocolate chips to calm down. Being a forager myself when I get disgusted, I have been reduced to croutons, dry cereal, and even Bac-O's for those desperation moments born of disgust. I feel your pain.

They were dark chocolate. I consoled myself - that they provided anti-

[ In Reply To ..]
oxidants!

Day finally over - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
Finally finished this workday with 1254 lines -- yea! Never been so proud of 1200 lines. My ER doc report came back from QA with 14 QA feedbacks. I didn't even bother checking to see if they really heard anything or made it up. None was critical or major feedback so I don't give a rip. I am offline for MQ thank goodness.

I have a doc that yawns too - Daisy

[ In Reply To ..]
and she dictates for a sleep clinic! Go figure!

Similar Messages:

Yawning Dictator
Jun 17, 2010

This ANP who is dictating can't make up her mind what she wants to say and constantly corrects herself and then keeps yawning, but doesn't stop the recording or even stop speaking while she's yawning.  It's annoying me PLUS it's making me sleepy now myself. More coffee, please!!!! ...

Yawning Over The Same Bit Of Dictation
Sep 12, 2010

Had to leave a blank due to yawn (the doc, not me, although this can be a snooze fest at times).  I was hoping to fill in the blank later on when I got to the assessment.  Darn if the doc didn't yawn again over the same thing.  What are the chances of that?  Oh, well. ...

Stop Yawning At Me!!!!
Nov 09, 2010

She started out the dictation yawning and apologized for it the first time but then went on to do it 3 or 4 more times.  It's a good thing I'm near the end of my night because now I'm yawning like crazy. ...

Yawning Doctors....
Oct 22, 2012

do they really think they can be understood when they dictate while they're yawning?!  I did a dictation last week where the dictator yawned about 5 long ones and I couldn't get most of what they were saying...and here I have her again today and she's doing the same thing!  Yeesh!  At least quit talking!!!  :) ...

Stop Yawning
Feb 27, 2015

I didn't go to dental or even hygenist school. I have no idea what your saying and ASR is having a field day. ...

Love It When They Dictate Yawning
Oct 10, 2010

Just need a breather.  Or IV tranquilizers.  In the middle of a 25-minute dictation by a sleepy, yawning, slurring, ESL - we're not talking an endoscopy or hernia repair, it's a brain surgery, and I'll be darned if I can understand a word.   More blanks than anything else.  I would love him to just hear himself when he's awake.  Just listen to himself and ask himself how anyone could possibly understand a word.  I only hope he wasn't as ...

Not Dictating Mg With Dose...what To Do?
Nov 25, 2009

The doctor is not including the word mg with doses of medication. Do I just transcribe what I hear or insert it? IE- simvastatin 10, vitamin E 400 b.i.d., metformin 850 b.i.d., ibuprofen 400 p.r.n ...

Dictating Out Of Order
Dec 07, 2009

This is driving me crazy!  My main account has several docs that dictate their review of systems and PE out of body system order, like instead of the neck head down, they dictate the abdomen or extremities first.  ...

Okay, I Have A New Resident Dictating A
Jul 02, 2010

3-day hopsital stay discharge summary.  It is 30 minutes long.  This going to be fun.  ...

Gah! Hang Up When You're Done Dictating!!!
Oct 01, 2010

He does this all the time...turns a 1.5-2 min dictation into a 15 minute dictation.  I fast forward through it, but I still have to "listen" to the whole file before I can turn in the dictation.  This is on top of being a horrible dictator; he whispers, shuffles papers, etc, and has extremely long pauses between words.  Gah!!!! Okay, just had to get that out of my system.  Thanks! ...

One Or 1 When Dictating Medication
Nov 06, 2010

I have always thought the numbers less than 10 should be in numeral form if referring to medication.  So I thought 1 tablet of Vicodin a day would be the appropraite way to type it or 2 tablets of Vicodin a day.  However, I am not sure.  Any ideas? ...

Resident Dictating
Mar 16, 2011

I've got a resident dictating and is on the PE.  "Blood pressure 110/80 and ___________ was 65 and regular." I know that the blank would be heart rate, but the res says something like "balance" or "bowels"....is there a new term or an old one that has escaped me? TIA ...

Gum Chewing While Dictating
May 21, 2011

I'm going freaking nuts!  I am trying to transcribe a resident's dictation (bad enough), but she's smacking and chewing gum throughout the whole thing.  It's so loud that I can hardly make out what she's saying.  I don't very often rant and rave, but ... I DON'T GET PAID TO HEAR SOMEONE CHEW GUM!!!!   ...

RNs Dictating - GRrrrrr!
Apr 10, 2012

Okay, if you're going to have an RN, FNP, or PA dictate for you, at least make sure they know the terminology!    I just suffered through at 10 minute discharge summary on a patient post CVA, and this lady was reading the CT scan and MRI reports of the brain into the record with clearly no idea at all of what she was reading or what it meant or how to pronounce the parts of the brain.  Thank goodness I've been around long enough to be able to get and idea and fill in so ...

EATING WHILE DICTATING!!!!!!!!!!!!
May 03, 2012

SO SICK OF DICTATORS EATING HARD CANDY, CHEWING GUM AND EATING CRUNCHY FOOD WHILE DICTATING!!!!!!!!!! NERVE WRACKING AND TIME CONSUMING WHILE WAITING FOR THEM TO MOVE THEIR FOOD AROUND AND SWALLOW!!!  NOT TO MENTION THE RATTLING OF CHIP BAGS....HOW UNPROFESSIONAL CAN YOU GET?????????? ...

So The Doc Just Sneezed While She Was Dictating
Aug 13, 2012

The doc sneezes twice and I muttered to myself "God bless you."  Apparently someone in the office did, too, because then the doc said "thank you."  The timing was perfect and it made me laugh.   ...

Every Time One Of These Dictating
Apr 01, 2013

doofuses puts in the wrong work type, the report should be sent back to them to fix.  How hard is to just put in the correct type?  I guess that's too simple. ...

Dictating Lab Values
Jul 06, 2013

dictating lab values: albumin 2.7, low. s/l "HU" ratio low at 0.6. ?? Thank you!! ...

Eating While Dictating
Apr 18, 2014

Note to all doctors who eat while dictating... STOP IT! Okay, you jerks swore to do no harm. You violate that oath every single time you pick up a phone and dictate. Eating while dictating is just one of the many things you do. How would you like it if someone came up to you and started chewing their food right in your ears? Oh, you wouldn't? Gee, could have fooled me! What's that you say? No one would show a doctor that kind of disrespect? You are nothing but an over-educated, self in ...

Re-dictating By The MT Using Dragon Etc
Jun 24, 2014

Anyone have thoughts on using program such as Dragon to "re-dictate" reports to save some transcription time and hopefully save further wear and tear?  Not an expensive program start-up but willing to spend some time to set up a more basic program to work.  My shoulder is nearly frozen, again.  Us old-schoolers are wearing out.  Thanks! ...

GI Dictating On Pancreatitis...
May 28, 2015

Dictating ultrasound findings and S/L  "slavic" stones or "slatic" stones???   #&%& mumblemouths!    ...

Doc Is Dictating S/l Boc Ta Lict Hernia
Nov 09, 2009

Doc is dictating s/l boc ta lict hernia...any ideas?  ...

Another One Chomping And Swallowing In My Ear While Dictating
Feb 18, 2010

I've had enough.  I'm outta here!  Going for a walk... ...

I Have A PA That Is Dictating Metacarpals When He Talking About
May 02, 2010

xx ...

He Is Dictating Lab Values, Pc02, Po2, Ph
Aug 02, 2010

he is dictating lab values, pc02, po2, ph, and something that sounds like BASE EXCESS, ...

Had A Doc Today Who Said It Was His 1st Time Dictating...sm
Aug 18, 2010

and if there was any problem with the dictation to please feel free to call him on his cell phone......and he was clear to boot.  At the end of the report he said, "thank you for your patience while I work on figuring out this dictation system."  ...

Doc Ranting About Insurance While Dictating
Oct 16, 2010

a doc dictating on a teenager with new-onset seizures, numbness, slurred speech had ranted a little and made it clear he was angry in his report when an insurance company would not cover a brain MRI on this person.   Family were worried enough to get one anyway and it found a glioma that the CT didn't pick up.  I pay 750 a month for health insurance, I think I would make quite the stink if this happened to me.  ...

Really?! Do You HAVE To Listen To The Radio While Dictating?
Nov 11, 2010

Honestly, this Dr. is always listening to the radio when he is doing his reports and it is up LOUD. So of course, since I do VRE, I have to delete TONS of song lyrics from every report he does. Can he seriously not live without his terrible 80's soft rock for 10 minutes?!   ...

Dictating NP Different From Attending Physician
May 27, 2011

How and where do you designate the dictating nurse practitioner's (NP) name when she is not the attending physician (psych discharge summary)? ...

Breast-feeding While Dictating
Jan 13, 2012

Doc slurring words, baby grunting and making a fuss, doc switching breasts, etc, etc, sounded like breast sex with baby for 10 minutes of dictation.  Lovely, absolutely lovely, no wonder no one else wanted to do it.  How many years of education do these docs have under their belts??!!??  ...