A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

My lousy paycheck - dismayed

Posted: Jul 31, 2010

Just wanted to say that I just looked at my bank account as I got pad yesterday.  What a nightmare.  I will have a horrible weekend now because of that.  Last year I made $13,000 for the year with MT, down from $26,000 the year before, and down from $40,000 back in the good old days.  My income for this year will probably go before $13,000 for my taxes.  My check was $682 for 2 weeks and that was with having work most of the time.  And they have not taken out for medical insurance yet I just started.  My paycheck in 2007 was about $1200 for 2 weeks after inusrance, and after 401K.    I know that I don't spend 10-12 hours a day working like a lot of MTs, I am out after my 8 hour shift to keep my sanity or what is left of it.  One needs to have a life too. 

Good thing I have "another day job" in that I am the local "dog-sitter/whisperer"  but can only have up to 4 at a time (although mostly I limit to 2).  That is much more enjoyable also.  I know there are others out there making 2-3 times what I did for last year, and believe me I used to . . .   and I used to stay 15 years at a job, but have had 4 since 2003 just to find anything that has work to do. 

So hope all you new MTs that really want to get into this profession because they "love to type" heed my advice and GET THE h##* OUT NOW, but to what?  That is another whole mountain of trouble and another hundred posts that has been beat to death too. 

Thanks I needed that.  Now I have a dog that wants to go for a walk.  I volunteer at the nursing home and the residents think I already work there and wish that I did, so maybe I should, would make more.   

I am sure most of us can relate - sm - ICRMT

[ In Reply To ..]
I was making about the same as you, between $6-700 every 2 weeks but as an IC. I did some reevaluating and now make twice that every two weeks. I still work the same amount of time, 10-12 hours a day, 6 days a week, but just really pushing myself. I still have no life, which is a drag, but to me it is the trade off, being able to do things with my kids at school with field trips or volunteering there, able to take them to their activities and be there at the bus the morning and afternoon. I figure in a couple years I will back off some from MT, go PT for gas money and get a job outside the home and have some free time and weekends off for change. Priorities shift and need to make allowances. In a few years both my kids will be gone (or at least in college), hopeing to continue doing this until then at least. But if you are not happy in what you do then it is time to get out and do what works for you.

here today, gone tomorrow - or here yesterday, gone today

[ In Reply To ..]
I can torment myself by remembering some of my pay stubs from the hospital. I don't do it. This is today. Take care of yourself-- and the oldsters, and the doggies! You will find your way, maybe another way besides MT!

lousy pay- know you are not alone!!! - old and tired

[ In Reply To ..]
Anyone wanting to actually go into this to make money needs to see a PSYCHIATRIST!!! I'm like an old dog and I don't know if I can learn new tricks. I keep hoping something comes up at the local Wal-Mart for me!!!

Re: Lousy paychecks - Lost MT

[ In Reply To ..]
I can totally relate. I am an MT with 15 years of experience and have worked in big hospitals until the last 5 years when I started working at home. My latest fear is getting paid at all for the work I do. I quit a part-time job where I was being hounded even on my time off in the daytime as I picked up another backup job. I have learned really fast that with the way transcription has gone, you definitely need to be prepared with a second job. Anyway, with my latest second job, I did 300 dollars worth of work and I'm worried that she isn't going to bother to pay me.

I found it really sad that even recruiters for different companies I have applied with completely understand my job-hopping in the past couple of years as I always worked steadily and wanted to keep a permanent job. It just hasn't been possible. So I'm hoping the jobs I have been hired for right now will turn out to be the jobs I end up retiring from.

By the way, your dogsitting job sounds like fun : ) Good luck to everyone that decides to stick it out in this business....

lousy paycheck it is - AT

[ In Reply To ..]
So true here too. I am in the same boat as you. Unemployment paid 700 for 2 weeks when the last of the surrounding hospitals closed their department. The VA closed theirs long ago for services, yet they gave their employees other jobs throughout the hospital, not so in the private sector.

I used to work for 4 CPL on a typewriter! One service out there was paying 5 CPL to start and then 6 CPL. Oh, so you can go faster, so YOU have to make less.

You HAVE to work 12 hours for a 600 dollar paycheck, but then too, you HAVE to be familiar with the dictators, account, and program, and NEED to type without looking up anything!! Remember also, don't take breaks as that costs you too! Don't eat wheat bread and rouphage as that will cost you too and in more ways than one. Our job is unhealthy mentally and physically. I have learned over the years the meaning of "helpless, worthless, and hopless." Right now that is an MT.

I heard that! - SickNTired

[ In Reply To ..]
It's true. Sweatshop labor is alive and well in America.

I worked Friday until the well was dry. This morning, magically the worst dictator on earth has jobs that were dictated on Friday.

Where did they come from I wonder?

The jobs were outsourced, even though they emphatically deny it. These jobs were picked over and sent back the sh#t they didn't want to do for me to clean up.

I'm with you, it's time for a new career. I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm going to make a run for it, and if I never transcribe another medical report Praise the LORD!

Similar Messages:

Lousy Paycheck
Apr 24, 2010

this is  the second time my check was waaaay low than what I usually receive.  I don't know what is going on.  I know with each payperiod I decided to spend a considerable amount of time looking up old reports because they cut too much into my production.  I thought last payperiod I maybe did it 3 times.  I have decided to only use it once or none at all.when I double check to make sure none are going to QA it looks correct as it says zero submission rate. ...

First Job Of The Shift: A Lousy 40 Sec Job And Now
Jan 20, 2013

This so sucks ...

Does Anyone Else Have The ONE Lousy Dictator
Jun 20, 2015

resign yourself to getting minimum wage or close for that pay period, especially when said dictator dictates a long string of reports and you seem to get them ALL?    Ugh.  You don't know how bad I just want to QUIT right this second.  ...

Anybody Else Ever Listened To The Same Lousy Dictator
Jul 12, 2010

until they were to the point of tears or even in tears.  I have had the same dictator over and over for the last 1/1-2 hours who sounds like she has the microphone in her mouth.  I don't know how much more I can take of this.  Unfortunately, the next account I know I have to go into is back-to-back of the same ESL who hasn't mastered the English language and dictates at the speed of light.  Sorry, just had to vent.  I'm just about ready to pull my hair out ...

Can And Should Lousy Credit Prevent Someone From Getting An MT Job?
Jan 27, 2011

If someone has lousy credit, why would this matter for an MT position?  Maybe there are extenuating circumstances why their credit isn't good, like loss of previous job, death in the family or other emergencies.  ...

Totally Worthless Lousy CPs
Jul 21, 2011

It would be so HELPFUL if the CPs were in any kind of uniform order with divided sections, maybe, so you would know where to look for the same info from CP to CP. ...

Aside From The Lousy ASR, Is The Sound Getting Worse Or
Mar 08, 2012

is the doctors?  I have had a terrible time lately hearing/understanding them no matter what adjustments I make to tone, speed, etc.   ...

Lousy Dictating Doctor
Sep 01, 2012

Why do we get berated when the doctor is known to be a mumbler and you know he knows what he is doing? This guy CONSTANTLY has blanks in his reports, no accent, no excuse.  He's just lazy and doesn't care.  I wish there was a way of issuing fines for these doctors when they get these many blanks in their reports.  You'd think it would be some sort of legal issue since the reports are basically incomplete.  Just a thought. ...

Confused About This New Lousy Insurance
Nov 13, 2012

Okay, I'm totally confused now.  I received an email this morning saying the employee contributions were wrong, sorry for the concern or inconvience this caused.  I go to the benefits site, as suggested, and see they are now INCREASED to $99 biweekly for regular medical coverage instead of the initally posted cost of $69 biweekly.  If I was concerned then, what am I now?  Someone mentioned below the cost was $160 per month.  What the heck?  Are Transcend e ...

Lousy Dictators - Coughing, Hacking, Sneezing, And Sniffling
Dec 30, 2012

I am currently doing a dictation by a doctor who normally is not that bad, but today he is coughing, hacking, sneezing, and sniffling to the point that he is nearly impossible to understand.  Doc, if you're that sick, you need to stay home and not make your patients any sicker.  Doesn't do me any good either having to try to make out what you're saying.  'Nuff said.  ...

Lousy Dictators - Crappy, Hard To Understand Dictators, Both ESL And English-speaking
May 17, 2014

Today I will make less than half of what I normally get because all I've gotten today are crappy, hard to understand dictators, both ESL and English-speaking.  Seems like all I get lately are the hard to understand, mush-mouth dictators.  Guess Nuance doesn't want their MTs making quota.  Sorry.  I just had to vent. ...

NO PAYCHECK
May 25, 2010

Logged on this morning and NO PAYCHECK deposited or pending.  My CCM is "looking into it".... yeah, okay.  I have NEVER had a problem like this anywhere I have worked... makes me very nervous with all that has been going on here the last few months and the garbage we are getting to type.  My motivation is now GONE this morning.  ...

Just Got Paycheck
Jun 11, 2012

Paycheck!
Jun 25, 2012

Hi All, Well, my hospital was outsourced to Nuance a couple of months back. Of course, I noticed right off what the pay was offered and knew it was going to be low, but since we weren't paid by the line, I had no idea how much lower it was going to turn out to be. In the last couple of months, I have been getting used to their time keeping program and other changes that they have implemented since they took over. I feel like for the last pay period or two I am finally up to what I would ...

No Paycheck Yet
Sep 11, 2012

Last day worked in May and still waiting for last paycheck.  Beware ...

Last Paycheck
Nov 30, 2012

My last day was during the last pay period. I didn't have a deposit for my last paycheck today. Does anyone know if this comes as a regular check by mail or should have been deposited. Thanks. ...

Paycheck
Jul 10, 2014

Just got my check today from LM for about $350 for 2 weeks.  Anyone else losing money?  I just want to cry.  Check is 1/4 what it was in January.  Getting about 2 hours of work a day.  What is happening? ...

Paycheck.
Dec 24, 2014

I just wanted to tell any of you who are staying cautiously optimistic despite the negativity on this board, I am very, very pleased with my first paycheck in this new pay plan. I am also not seeing the nitpicking in QA that has been described. The mistakes I am dinged for are just that, my mistakes. I take notice, then move on. If you are able to produce a decent line count and maintain good quality which is our job in the first place, things will be okay. There are advantages and disadvan ...

Even Though I Did Well With My Paycheck, I'm Still
Dec 24, 2014

The stress of it all and the fact that QA holds the pursestrings are not worth the few extra dollars. To think I can go from 12 CPL to 7 CPL for just dropping from 100% to 99% in any given week is just too much stress to have hanging over my head. Good luck, Nuance, keeping quality MTs. I hope you are happy with yourselves for having driven this field into the hell it has become. And Merry Christmas to you, too. ...

Just Saw My New QC Paycheck
Jun 11, 2015

It will be deposited tomorrow... comes out to a bit below 11 dollars an hour.  My new part-time pays me more than that.  Okay Nuance, you win, although I'm not sure what.  I'm gone.  This whole fiasco is a windfall for the other MTSOs who are cleaning up now getting all kinds of great employees as refugees from Nuance.  And as soon as the hospitals start seeing all the crap they get coming out of India, those other MTSOs will be getting those accounts, too.&nb ...

Did Anyone Get Their Paycheck Yet At SoftScript?
Oct 20, 2009

Just wondering if anyone has received their paycheck yet for the pay period ending 10/15/09 for SoftScript?  I am waiting to receive mine by mail, and so far it's not showing up in Paychex.  Thanks for any info : ) ...

Deduction On Paycheck?
Oct 27, 2009

Did anyone else notice a $100 deduction on their paycheck this time?  What is this for?  The only thing I can figure, is its for the "free" Benchmark "gift".  I called another friend of mine and she had it on hers, also.  If anyone knows what this is all about, please let me know!! ...

My Paycheck This Time Was 58%
Nov 09, 2009

of what it used to be prior to becoming an MME.  Thanks to whoever dreamed up this MME nightmare...     If anyone knows of any QA openings, please please please email me.  ...

Last Paycheck Of 2009
Dec 24, 2009

Nothing like getting the last paycheck of the year the day before Christmas.  My annual income is LESS than half of last year.  Thanks, Kumar, for the coal in my stocking. ...

Keystrokes Paycheck
Mar 03, 2010

I'm new to Keystrokes and was supposed to receive my first check on Monday, 1st via direct deposit, but as of today nothing's there.  I've left a lot of messages about it but nobody's getting back to me.  Does this happen often here?  I really need my money but it seems like Keystrokes doesn't care.  ...

MQ Paycheck Details
Mar 27, 2010

New to direct deposit.  Is there anywhere to go online to check your paystub details? I cannot find anything on MQ Central about it. Thanx ...

Dit Transcription - Have You Got A Paycheck Yet?
Jul 21, 2010

Just asking if anyone out there is still working for this company and have you got a paycheck yet. I just quit so frustrated/ ...

Paycheck Messed Up
Sep 24, 2010

Got paid through direct deposit yesterday and was only paid for PTO and not the actual lines I typed.  My paycheck should have been for over 600 dollars but was only 113 dollars.  Did this happen to anyone else? ...

KEYSTROKES - Has Anyone Not Got Their Paycheck Due 01/15/11? Sm
Jan 18, 2011

know there was a holiday - but after midnight on 01/8/11 and still no paycheck.  Anyone else?  thanks! ...

Viewing Paycheck
May 17, 2011

Does anyone know where I view my paystub at? ...