A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

RNs dictating - GRrrrrr! - MiniRant

Posted: Apr 10, 2012

Okay, if you're going to have an RN, FNP, or PA dictate for you, at least make sure they know the terminology!   

I just suffered through at 10 minute discharge summary on a patient post CVA, and this lady was reading the CT scan and MRI reports of the brain into the record with clearly no idea at all of what she was reading or what it meant or how to pronounce the parts of the brain.  Thank goodness I've been around long enough to be able to get and idea and fill in some of these, but still wound up with a few blanks because I just could not begin to guess what she was trying to say - and she was obviously READING it!  Too bad I didn't have access to the Radiology report.  

This happens so often.  Of course, some of the little things bother me too, like when they say adenoPATHY, etc. 

My stepdaughter is a nursing student, and I'm trying to educate her in the proper pronunciation of medical terminology.  You'd think that they'd teach that!

Done ranting.  

RNs dictating - DiggerMT

[ In Reply To ..]
I get one who states "dentation" for "dentition." Drives me nuts.

my dad (not in the medical field)... - schmeep

[ In Reply To ..]
pronounces "gums" as "gooms". Don't know where he got that from...

stint/stent - nm

[ In Reply To ..]
nm
stint should be stent - Kara
[ In Reply To ..]
It is stent
ahhhh, I know! Wasnt that the point of the post? - what doctors dictate wrong.
[ In Reply To ..]
OMG

Oscillation for auscultation is my pet peeve - How can they NOT know how to say this?

[ In Reply To ..]
My list could go on and on, but that "oscillation" instead of "auscultation" really makes me grind my teeth, lol!

some more - RN speak

[ In Reply To ..]
Amblyance for ambulance, diagnosises for diagnoses, atrial fibullation (rhymes with trial and tribulation). So lame!

I have an RN who says - mthead

[ In Reply To ..]
epitaxis for epistaxis,orthopenia for orthopnea, oropharnyx for oropharynx, and den attention for dentition. She also uses "as" and "and" interchangeably. She isn't even an ESL dictator. Drives me bonkers!

poor dictators - like to type real doctors

[ In Reply To ..]
This is funny, as long as I don't have to type it. The thing that gets me is all the bad, bad grammar from doctors all the way down. Did they go to high school and college? Makes so much work correcting it.

TENS unit - mt370

[ In Reply To ..]
I had one who dictated a report regarding a TENS unit;however, she kept saying "tense" unit and even spelled it out that way. Duh.

One says ACCESS - instead of AXIS

[ In Reply To ..]
in the psych dx. Drives me crazy. Really draws it out. AKKK cess I... Or says annatella for atenolol.

how about Tyanol instead of Tylenol - hate that

[ In Reply To ..]
ARGH.

Intermediate for intermittent every single time! - nm

[ In Reply To ..]

Annular for annual - alana

[ In Reply To ..]

I've got one - total knee, hip, shoulder - McFeist

[ In Reply To ..]
angioplasty. Every time without fail. This is a nurse practitioner who specializes in orthopedics. Oh my. She must have missed her med term class the day they went over the word root and combining form for joint.

Hema-crit - peaches

[ In Reply To ..]
I have one that says hema-crit for hematocrit and cre-a-tine for creatinine. Makes me wonder where they went to school. I also have an ARNP that sounds heavily medicated when she dictates, mumbles, whispers and you wouldn't believe the words she mangles. Horrible!

poor dictators - fedup

[ In Reply To ..]
got one tonight that spelled out elicit as e-l-e-c-i-t and one that spelled out satiety as s-a-i-e-t-y. Both English speaking, both doctors...

I cringe each time I get - The Analog Kid

[ In Reply To ..]
.....felt on palpitation.....
.....radic-u-lo-PATH-y.....
and I once heard "turry stools"

My favorite one - CMK

[ In Reply To ..]
My favorite RN moment was where one RN (ICU nurse, mind you....) continously called carbs "carboDEhydrates" I was actually embarrassed for her, and just thought I should tell her to find a different career now, before she gets laughed out of the hospital. Sad.

Just got another one - cmk

[ In Reply To ..]
Not a lie, just dictating a resident who says the patient had undergone an "optical bullectomy". Ummm....

Similar Messages:

Grrrrrr!!!!!
Feb 06, 2012

I don't know what is up with this dang tape, but I keep getting caught up!!  Again I can't understand what the crap this dr is saying!  Will someone plz help before I start ripping my hair out?!  Under IMPRESSION the doc is saying "Status post pacemaker s/l from orbitz 2".  Geeeeeez uuuussss!  Sometimes I want to just grab them and shake the crap out of them!  Is it too much to ask to enunciate just a lil bit?  Huh? ...

Grrrrrr...
Dec 20, 2013

So annoyed.. Not one, but two separate phone conversations taking place in the midst of this dictation.. Does he not know how to pause the dang recorder?? Then he is all mad and swearing because they keep transferring these calls to him... And of course when he starts dictating again, he has no clue what he already said... I'm waiting for him to start the whole dang dictation over again...!!! ...

Grrrrrr..
Apr 15, 2014

Just must vent... Doc dictates "a 72-year-old ex-smoker, non-home-O2-dependent COPDer." That's all I want to say, had to get it off my chest. ...

Webmedx And Mmodal...grrrrrr!!!
Feb 03, 2011

Wow, I thought I had heard of everything under the sun, Webmedx just outdid themselves. This will be a serious gripe, so don't read if you don't want to hear it! Time to quit for sure! Got an e-mail that my "pause rate" was too high on ISR (over 10% as measured by MModal). Well, I get to the 9500 lines per week consistently, and my last accuracy rate was 99.85%, but guess that doesn't count! I need to explain myself and improve this area immediately! Lately a lot of dictators tha ...

Not Dictating Mg With Dose...what To Do?
Nov 25, 2009

The doctor is not including the word mg with doses of medication. Do I just transcribe what I hear or insert it? IE- simvastatin 10, vitamin E 400 b.i.d., metformin 850 b.i.d., ibuprofen 400 p.r.n ...

Dictating Out Of Order
Dec 07, 2009

This is driving me crazy!  My main account has several docs that dictate their review of systems and PE out of body system order, like instead of the neck head down, they dictate the abdomen or extremities first.  ...

Okay, I Have A New Resident Dictating A
Jul 02, 2010

3-day hopsital stay discharge summary.  It is 30 minutes long.  This going to be fun.  ...

YAWNING AND DICTATING
Jul 13, 2010

I very seldom vent or complain, but it has just got to me today.  This surgeon does such good dictation, EXCEPT when he yawns and continues to dictate.  How in the world does he think we can understand him when he does this.  It is not a little yawn either.  It almost makes me shutter when he does it.  I am sorry, I just had to finally vent after listening to him for 10 years. ...

Gah! Hang Up When You're Done Dictating!!!
Oct 01, 2010

He does this all the time...turns a 1.5-2 min dictation into a 15 minute dictation.  I fast forward through it, but I still have to "listen" to the whole file before I can turn in the dictation.  This is on top of being a horrible dictator; he whispers, shuffles papers, etc, and has extremely long pauses between words.  Gah!!!! Okay, just had to get that out of my system.  Thanks! ...

One Or 1 When Dictating Medication
Nov 06, 2010

I have always thought the numbers less than 10 should be in numeral form if referring to medication.  So I thought 1 tablet of Vicodin a day would be the appropraite way to type it or 2 tablets of Vicodin a day.  However, I am not sure.  Any ideas? ...

Resident Dictating
Mar 16, 2011

I've got a resident dictating and is on the PE.  "Blood pressure 110/80 and ___________ was 65 and regular." I know that the blank would be heart rate, but the res says something like "balance" or "bowels"....is there a new term or an old one that has escaped me? TIA ...

Gum Chewing While Dictating
May 21, 2011

I'm going freaking nuts!  I am trying to transcribe a resident's dictation (bad enough), but she's smacking and chewing gum throughout the whole thing.  It's so loud that I can hardly make out what she's saying.  I don't very often rant and rave, but ... I DON'T GET PAID TO HEAR SOMEONE CHEW GUM!!!!   ...

EATING WHILE DICTATING!!!!!!!!!!!!
May 03, 2012

SO SICK OF DICTATORS EATING HARD CANDY, CHEWING GUM AND EATING CRUNCHY FOOD WHILE DICTATING!!!!!!!!!! NERVE WRACKING AND TIME CONSUMING WHILE WAITING FOR THEM TO MOVE THEIR FOOD AROUND AND SWALLOW!!!  NOT TO MENTION THE RATTLING OF CHIP BAGS....HOW UNPROFESSIONAL CAN YOU GET?????????? ...

So The Doc Just Sneezed While She Was Dictating
Aug 13, 2012

The doc sneezes twice and I muttered to myself "God bless you."  Apparently someone in the office did, too, because then the doc said "thank you."  The timing was perfect and it made me laugh.   ...

Every Time One Of These Dictating
Apr 01, 2013

doofuses puts in the wrong work type, the report should be sent back to them to fix.  How hard is to just put in the correct type?  I guess that's too simple. ...

Dictating Lab Values
Jul 06, 2013

dictating lab values: albumin 2.7, low. s/l "HU" ratio low at 0.6. ?? Thank you!! ...

Eating While Dictating
Apr 18, 2014

Note to all doctors who eat while dictating... STOP IT! Okay, you jerks swore to do no harm. You violate that oath every single time you pick up a phone and dictate. Eating while dictating is just one of the many things you do. How would you like it if someone came up to you and started chewing their food right in your ears? Oh, you wouldn't? Gee, could have fooled me! What's that you say? No one would show a doctor that kind of disrespect? You are nothing but an over-educated, self in ...

Re-dictating By The MT Using Dragon Etc
Jun 24, 2014

Anyone have thoughts on using program such as Dragon to "re-dictate" reports to save some transcription time and hopefully save further wear and tear?  Not an expensive program start-up but willing to spend some time to set up a more basic program to work.  My shoulder is nearly frozen, again.  Us old-schoolers are wearing out.  Thanks! ...

GI Dictating On Pancreatitis...
May 28, 2015

Dictating ultrasound findings and S/L  "slavic" stones or "slatic" stones???   #&%& mumblemouths!    ...

Doc Is Dictating S/l Boc Ta Lict Hernia
Nov 09, 2009

Doc is dictating s/l boc ta lict hernia...any ideas?  ...

Another One Chomping And Swallowing In My Ear While Dictating
Feb 18, 2010

I've had enough.  I'm outta here!  Going for a walk... ...

I Have A PA That Is Dictating Metacarpals When He Talking About
May 02, 2010

xx ...

He Is Dictating Lab Values, Pc02, Po2, Ph
Aug 02, 2010

he is dictating lab values, pc02, po2, ph, and something that sounds like BASE EXCESS, ...

Had A Doc Today Who Said It Was His 1st Time Dictating...sm
Aug 18, 2010

and if there was any problem with the dictation to please feel free to call him on his cell phone......and he was clear to boot.  At the end of the report he said, "thank you for your patience while I work on figuring out this dictation system."  ...

Doc Ranting About Insurance While Dictating
Oct 16, 2010

a doc dictating on a teenager with new-onset seizures, numbness, slurred speech had ranted a little and made it clear he was angry in his report when an insurance company would not cover a brain MRI on this person.   Family were worried enough to get one anyway and it found a glioma that the CT didn't pick up.  I pay 750 a month for health insurance, I think I would make quite the stink if this happened to me.  ...

Really?! Do You HAVE To Listen To The Radio While Dictating?
Nov 11, 2010

Honestly, this Dr. is always listening to the radio when he is doing his reports and it is up LOUD. So of course, since I do VRE, I have to delete TONS of song lyrics from every report he does. Can he seriously not live without his terrible 80's soft rock for 10 minutes?!   ...

Dictating NP Different From Attending Physician
May 27, 2011

How and where do you designate the dictating nurse practitioner's (NP) name when she is not the attending physician (psych discharge summary)? ...

Breast-feeding While Dictating
Jan 13, 2012

Doc slurring words, baby grunting and making a fuss, doc switching breasts, etc, etc, sounded like breast sex with baby for 10 minutes of dictation.  Lovely, absolutely lovely, no wonder no one else wanted to do it.  How many years of education do these docs have under their belts??!!??  ...

OK I Have A Doctor Dictating A Re-dictation
Mar 14, 2012

I distinctly remember doing the original dictation a few weeks back...Now I have to wonder if I got paid for that job...How do they get lost? this was a unique kind of report so there is no doubt in my mind it was transcribed and sent through... ...

One Would Think Dictating A Report While Riding
Mar 20, 2012

on a train would be against HIPAA, unless of course one has a private car where no one else can hear you.  Never mind the fact that the clickity clack of the train is louder than the dictator.  sheesh ...