A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Anyone leaving medical transcription? - MTforyears

Posted: Nov 15, 2014

I've been a medical transcriptionist for 16 years now since graduating from high school.  I am looking for motivation to finally leave medical transcription.  I need to do this for my family and to get myself out of this unbelievable rut I am in.  I am interested in going to school for nursing, so I'm thinking of trying to work in a store or a similar job for the three years I would be in college.  I just don't know how easy this transition will be as the one interview I had for a store job, I didnt get.  The guy emphasized how often I would be on my feet.  I tried to reassure him that I would love the change, but I still didn't get the job.  I have had 3 other interviews for different jobs in hospitals, and I'm getting disappointed.  Any encouragement would be greatly appreciated.  Good luck to all others out there in the MT world.  I know it has become very difficult to stay in this field and even more difficult to leave it, at least for me anyway :(

MTforyears - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
Hang in there and apply, apply, apply....many companies take online applications so apply to as many places as you can. I finally got out of MT after 15 years and it was the BEST thing I ever did! I work in an office environment now, which may not be everyone's cup of tea, but I love it...didn't realize how much I missed the camaraderie and not being so isolated at home. It took a while for me to find a job, but don't give up and keep trying...good luck!

You will need to keep applying. - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
I am not sure why you are discouraged after only a few job rejections. It can take 50 or more applications to get a job.

No one will hire you because you "really really want" the job or because you are "sure you can do it." They hire because you have the skills and experience they need.

They are also not going to hire someone who is "in a rut" with their current job or who wants to go back to school.

Don't tell them you want to go to nursing school. When you do, you tell them you are not going to stay with them. You also tell them you will have competing priorities.

You are already in the best job you could have for school. I have been there and done that, so believe me that you will not be able to juggle an outside retail job better than an at-home MT job. It will, in fact, be WORSE.

You should find out what is required for nursing school. There will be prerequisites. Many of them can be taken online. Some can be completed using CLEP tests... study on your own using books and online free courses, www.saylor.org, then take the test.

Doing that will help you learn to organize your time to succeed.

Doing that NOW will give you additional skills you can transfer into a new job.

Doing it that way will help get scholarships and financial aid. Once you are in school, you will have counseling available and be able to get job recommendations and leads from them, possible even on campus jobs. Your financial aid may cover living expenses. (Your current plan tells me you did not know this.)

The best route is not new, crummy, unstable job, then hope for a shot at nursing school. It is to stay in your current job, get the prereqs out of the way as fast as you can, get accepted to nursing school, and keep looking for hospital or nursing home jobs along the way.

Believe me, being halfway to nursing school will get that hospital job faster. Right now all you have is pie in the sky.

Your goal is good, just adjust your route a little. Use what you have. You can't expect that a different job will be a miracle. Avoid letting things that should not discourage you become barriers.

GOING TO SCHOOL - CINDY

[ In Reply To ..]
I agree with this. I did go to school for nursing and I was working as a CNA, and realized that I was too far away from the school, and decided to go back to transcription. Working at night and that way I was able to go to school. School is hard, and exhausting. I went for LPN and I am amazed I made it through, not easy working full-time and going to school, but worth it. I know we make very low wages here, so unless you get a job where you are getting paid by the hour and an easy job, and making more money, it might be helpful to stay in this field. You will have clinicals and mine were on the weekends, 8 hours Saturday and towards the end 8 hour Sat and Sun, plus during the week. Good luck. I am sure you can do it. I know you are going to go for RN if you are going for 3 years, but LPN was 15 months. I might go back for RN, but wanted to start making money after being an LPN.

leaving mt - jane

[ In Reply To ..]
left, was replaced by a computer program which our government recommended and employer bit on their bait. was with them about 20 years, had to have extended leave due to surgery. this was coming down the pike anyway due to our gov and their bribes.

Got out of MT this year, couldn't be happier - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
I am making a good hourly pay with bonuses and if I do well yearly increases in pay. All holidays off with pay, and we are appreciated and treated well!! I couldn't be happier. I went to school for 18 months at age 58, but it can be done (I worked full time as an MT while doing this). Don't give up, there is a much better life out there!

I love your story - Squeaky

[ In Reply To ..]
What are you doing now? You are inspiring me.

I am coding in a large group physician's office - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
I am working in an office, but it is only a 10-15 minute commute. We are treated well and when we have had to work extra to make goal they actually bring us goodies while we work (root beer floats, cookies, lemonade, etc). My family can't believe the difference in me, think I definitely had PTSD from Nuance!! I know many are afraid coding will end up the same, I don't know, but I want another 6 years to work and I was absolutely miserable before and now I look forward to going to work!! It was hard while I was studying and the certification tests are difficult, but it really paid off for me. Best wishes in getting out of MT!

I left MT in June 2014.....sm - SMC

[ In Reply To ..]
I started as an assistant manager for a well-known fast food restaurant. They liked my skills as being a trainer, very detail-oriented, etc. Pay is salary plus bonuses. Definitely better than I have made as an MT in the last 3 years (after 25 years in the business). Now to go forward, I was offered the general manager position and have accepted it. It is a huge raise and more potential for bonuses.

I guess what I am saying is this...do not rule out anything. Just be ready to work for what you want.

I spent technically over 25 years as an MT. I am in my late 40s. I started over. I have not enjoyed life this much in a very long time. I look back at MT and the only thing I ask myself is this...Why didn't I do this sooner?

Don't let not getting that job deter you. KEEP TRYING!! Sending you hugs and hope!!!

That is awesome! :-) - Mtforyears

[ In Reply To ..]
It's so nice to hear success stories from former mts. It really gives me hope. Thank you for sharing your story. :-)

Need a support group - tiredMT

[ In Reply To ..]
for us burned out MTs. I am 53, and the way things are going, I will be working until I'm 70, so there's still time to start over. I have been so beaten down, have dipped (with a big dipper) into my savings, and since I have been working at home, I have no wardrobe, my car is 18 years old, etc. As I go on, I am just getting deeper and deeper in debt, when I am supposed to be saving for retirement - Ha! what retirement? But that's another story.
We are all isolated, we need to get together and boost each other up. My depression is getting worse with the isolation and with winter coming, the SAD kicks in, I am really not looking forward to anything. Thanks for letting my vent.
That's the thing right there -- - time4achange
[ In Reply To ..]
The isolation. I left MT after 13 years, after being outsourced and taking a 50% pay cut. I am now working 2 part-time jobs, one in a health food store and one for a mail order business packaging orders. The pay is roughly the same, maybe a little bit more. But I am SO much happier and much more energetic. I have variety in my day and people to talk to. I did not realize how very grueling and isolating transcription is until I took a step back. I am so happy I made the change. If I ever go back, it will be on a VERY part time basis as an IC.

Similar Messages:

Medical Coding - Leaving The Transcription Industry
Dec 12, 2010

I wanted to ask anyone out there how to go about leaving the transcription industry (11 years in) and going into medical coding.  Do any of you know of a bridge over program at any of the institutes?  I got my education at a community college that is nationally accredited so I can transfer credits.  Just curious before I start really looking.  Thanks ...

Leaving Transcription
Jul 30, 2012

I have the chance to take a job doing social work for the county in which I live.  I will be taking a pay cut that I can't really afford and I'm scared to death there will be budget cuts (as is happening in all government agencies), but there is also the chance there won't be cuts to this department and there will be chances for advancement, which I'm not seeing in transcription any longer.  How have you that have left gotten the strength to take the leap into the new and u ...

Leaving Transcription ... Low Pay, High Expectations
Jun 06, 2011

I have had it... Low pay, high expectations, stressssssssss!  Going to work in a department store. Hourly wage, paid for all I do all the time. ...

For MTs Leaving The Transcription Field, Curious Question . . .
Jan 04, 2010

Where are you going?  Are you staying in the medical field or something different?  Are you leaving home to go back to the office?  I am thinking about getting my RHIT certification to "change things up" and just want to know what other MTs are doing when they leave this business.  TIA ...

Medical Transcription At Home To Become A Medical Scribe?
Jan 20, 2015

Has anybody left medical transcription at home to become a medical scribe?  I have an opportunity to do so but there aren't any scribes currently in my area and I don't know anyone who has worked as a scribe before.  The scribe position starting pay is almost double what I make as an MT per hour so it is very tempting, I just don't know much about it. ...

Can Anyone Tell Me Info On August Medical Transcription Or Transcription South
May 29, 2013

I have found a few things on these companies but was looking to find a little more in depth information from past or current employees. ...

Prn Military Transcription/prn Medical Transcription
Jun 25, 2014

Anyone hear from them yet?  Over 1100 views, that means a billion resumes. ...

QC Leaving?? Leaving More Work For MTs?
Jun 14, 2015

Sorry QC was put on the grid and suffering losses (like we have), but from my point of view the more of them leave, the more work left for us.  Isn't that horrible we are reduced to feeling that way about our co-workers??? Some QC say they are not allowed to do MT unless the account is behind, some say they are allowed when they run out of work.   From the length of time we have been suffering from OOW I have to believe they can and do jump in on our work when out of QC ...

Offshore Transcription Stories Wanted- Medical Malpractice Cases Related To Offshore Transcription M
Oct 15, 2009

A legal contact was inquiring about the connection of medical mistakes related to off-shored transcription mistakes.  I have told him to review these boards and hopefully he will benefit from the information here.  While he did not discuss the exact case, I think that he will be able to use the off-shore transcription issue to his client's benefit or at least highlight that the provider in question does not have as rigorous control on processing records as other pr ...

What Is HB Medical Transcription???
Mar 06, 2010

I've been in the medical transcription industry for 16 years and dont have any clue what HB medical transcription is. There is a job posted which has been filled, but I for the life of me cannot figure that out, unless it is hispanic/bilingual.  Can someone help me out!  ...

VLC Medical Transcription
Jul 24, 2010

Does anyone know if the Virtual Learning Center still exists?  I am not getting any responses to emails to them.  The website has changed since the last time I looked at it.  Also, I thought they were supposed to be the third best of the top three medical transcription companies to learn from.  If they are not, who is?  ...

JLG Medical Transcription
Sep 09, 2010

Any info on JLG pros/cons, pay would be greatly appreciated. ...

Medical Transcription.
Jan 21, 2011

I have a certificate through Stratford Career Institute and have had a hard time trying to get employment. I don't have any prior experience in the medical transcription field and am very interested in getting pointed in the right direction on what to do from here on how I can further a career in this field. If anyone can be of some help please let me know. ...

Non Medical Transcription
Feb 02, 2011

I am an independent contractor. Have always charged per line count. Have an opportunity to transcribe 30 minute audio interviews. Any thoughts on what or how to charge for this? Thanks! ...

Qed Medical Transcription
Apr 02, 2011

Has anyone ever tried taking the typing test for QED transcription? For some reason I am not getting into the testing site.  '( ...

U.S. Transcription Non Medical
Sep 01, 2011

I answered an ad for U.S. Transcription posted on MT Jobs, was asked to test, and within an hour of submitting my test I was offered a job.  After my heart came down from a happy dance at an actual job offer, I found I really have some things to think about before I say yes. This would be for 2nd shift, non-medical transcription at 0.06/cpl for straight transcription, 0.03/cpl if a company provided template is used.  I suppose I need to ask what my expected production would be before ...

Looking At Going Into Medical Transcription
Nov 14, 2011

I am looking into the Medical Transcription field but wanted to get info about the field from those that are in it before I take the plunge.  I'm not looking at earning a huge salary or medical benefits etc, just some extra to help the HH income. I'm looking at Career Step for my certificate. Any factual info or career experience would be appreciated. ...

Same Day Medical Transcription
Mar 24, 2012

Has anyone heard anything about this transcription company or done any work for them?  What was your experience?  Thanks. ...

New To Medical Transcription
Apr 20, 2012

I'm fairly new to medical transcription. I received my certification in 2010 and was a little discouraged when applying for jobs and they were all looking for experienced agents to work from home. I've recently decided to start back looking for work and decided to offer my services free of charge just to get the experience so I can apply in a year or two for actual paying work. Has anyone else done this or know how to get started? Or even know someone who needs a transcription intern? ...

USA Medical Transcription, Inc.
May 03, 2012

Watch out for this company .... They seem a bit strange. ...

USA Medical Transcription, Inc ??
May 12, 2012

Has anyone heard of USA Medical Transcription, Inc?? I can't find a website for them although when I do a reverse (fax) number look-up, it says it's in Palm Beach, FL. Info is appreciated! ...

Anyone Ever Do Non-medical Transcription And Like It?
Sep 25, 2012

Anyone ever do non-medical transcription? I'm interested to know if you liked it. I tried it for a few days and just decided it wasn't for me. A lot of it was phone conversations and was very hard to understand and I ended up leaving lots of blanks. The pay was bad too and I gave it up today. It was like torture to me to sit and listen to this voice file and one was almost 2 hours long that I did not finish before I quit. Appreciate anyone's input into this. I am feeling ba ...

Non-medical Transcription?
Dec 08, 2012

I'm a 2011 MT grad who posted not long ago looking for advice.  While googling MT companies to apply to, I found some non-medical transcription services, namely one that transcribes dialogue from a video for production/entertainment companies.  This site had instructions and a download to take the test.  What the heck, I'm going to take it and see what happens.  Since MT is practically a dead-end career, I've been trying to come up with ther ways to utilize my ...

For Those Of You Who Took Medical Transcription
Apr 18, 2013

I having been checking out various things lately with regards to where I would like to go job wise in the near future. I started out going to school for nursing and completed all the pre-reqs: Anatomy and Physiology I & II, biology, psychiatry, basic nutrition, algebra and English etc. Half-way through I hit a bump in the road and had to take a break from school and instead of sitting out a full year, I decided to do something less stressful, which is how I got into medical transcription. L ...

Getting Out Of Medical Transcription
Apr 29, 2013

I WANT out.  I have applied for numerous jobs, what I do, I just want to hit a time cloc just to have something to get out.  I don't carek.  I am so tired of being stressed and the happy days, when I have tons of work, just to be hit the next day with zero work, and stress on my off days that maybe I should log in and "catch up". I WANT out.  I have applied for numerous jobs, not even caring what I do, I just want to hit a time clock and KNOW what my schedule will be and KNOW how ...

Thank You Medical Transcription
Aug 23, 2013

I quit a job a dozen years ago to jump into the "Work At Home" dream.  I had little money, was quite naive, worked from dark to dark with absolutely no help from the small MTSO, who later ripped me off $5,000.  BUT, I learned. After my first experience with "running out of work", I just found more work.  I got unusually lucky and found a job and was MTing again in a few days. That gig gave me nearly 10 years of working for another small MTSO.  I got busy and made tons of mon ...

Looking For Non-medical Transcription -
Nov 25, 2014

think I am in need of a change been doing this 40 years, so was considering non-medical transcription instead. Anyone know of any companies worth checking out. Also been looking outside of home but reaching retirement age anyway, so figure would not even have a chance in the outside world. TIA ...

New England Medical Transcription?
Oct 21, 2009

Anyone out there work for New England Medical Transcription?  I'm interested in them and hoping to get hired on their clinic accounts whenever they start hiring for them again... Are they good about keeping you in work during the time when you want to work? Any pros, cons, good or bad experiences will be appreciated!   Thanks! ...

What Is The Name Of The Platform That PRN Medical Transcription Uses?
Oct 26, 2009

x ...

Medical Transcription Being Obliterated?
Nov 02, 2009

I am doing online school for MT and was told last night that there won't be any need for MT's after July 2010 as all the DRs are required to go electronic and they will be just speaking into a computer and the computer will do this for them.  Is this true?  I was so hoping to make a great career out of this.  Any input appreciated. ...