A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Salary increase expectations after getting CPC, CCS credentials - your experiences please

Posted: Feb 03, 2013

I just landed an entry-level position as a hospital outpatient coder!  Yay!  It is a foot in the door towards my new career.  After I sit for and get my credentials (I have 0 experience in this field), I plan on giving my passing credentials to my HIM director and to HR.  Is it appropriate to ask HR when I do my hiring paperwork/orientation what salary increases are given for credentials and per credential?  I am not really sure that is the right time or place to discuss this, or even if it should come up at all until the credentials are there.  They are aware that I am a student and that I will be taking my exams in 2-3 months. 

What is appropriate?  What should I expect as a salary increase per credential (if anything at all)?  I look forward to your advice.  Thank you.

How the in the world did you get this job?! - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
I have my RHIT credentials, have a lot of billing experience, but cannot find a job as a coder to save my life! How did you get this job? Congratulations - this is wonderful!!!

Suggestion - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
I know your situation must be frustrating! There are often unseen factors driving hiring decisions. I don't AGREE with them, but I can share them with you. Please do not become angry or offended with me ... I just want to help see what managers might think so you can take corrective action. Color your image differently, in other words.

I am not making this up, either. Nor does it reflect the thinking of ALL HIM managers.

The RHIT is not a "mastery level" credential. It is entry level .. a generalist credential. That comes straight from the AHIMA website. The CCS and CCS-P are mastery level credentials in coding.

I know this might not be what your program told you, but ... there it is.

Something else ... employers find that lots of RHITs cannot code very well. Ever. That makes sense because it would not be possiblle for every RHIT grad to be an expert coder. That is why some go into other areas. There is no way to tell that a job-seking RHIT can code. The credential does not tell you.

Employers may also have had bad luck with grads of local programs. Programs have better and worse success rates. We don't want to take our locals for ANY job, much less coding. Whether you come from that program or not, you may be affected by it.

The credentials of the supervisor or managr might help to drive their decision. Many do not want to hire someone who may be more qualified or who is differently qualified. As in any field, nobody hires people who might take their jobs or know more. They also tend to want people like themselves. RHIAs often avoid hiring other RHIAs. RHITs won't hire RHIAs and might prefer RHITs, but avoid those with coding credentials. A CPC will avoid any AHIMA credentialed persons and might not even know what the credentials are (quite common in the outpatient setting). A CCS may prefer other CS or CPC coders.

Lots of hidden dynamics going on. To get a job, you have to counteract them. That isn't easy.

If you want a coding job, you might want to get at least a CPC. That will establish your competency in coding to a large degree. It will tell employers that you CAN code.

If you can manage it, also get a CCS. That tells hospitals that you are qualified to code inpatient. Getting those credentials also tells managers that you do not think you are God's GIft to HIM because you have an RHIT. On the contrary, it says you realized you needed more and went the extra mile to learn more and to validate your abilities.

The CPC may also enable you to get a job that will give you experience to overcome other hiring biases.

With the rush of colleges going to online learning and facilties going electronic, there are more RHIT grads looking for fewer jobs. They might also be poorly prepared for work in an EHR environment. College programs still focus mostly old-style HIM. You might be able to enhance your resume by studying EHR and informatics material. The entire series of college lecture modules that the fedral government sponsored is available online for free. Just Google to find it. Try something like health informatics initiative.

How did the OP get that job? It is impossible to say. She may have passed an employment test with flying colors or just been exactly what the employer was looking for.

Great response! - Andrews student

[ In Reply To ..]
This is great information! Hope it helps those it was intended for.

I applied knowing they are willing to train - OP

[ In Reply To ..]
How did I get this job? Maybe the right place at the right time?. Passed the entry-level coding exam with flying colors. Yes. I knew they were willing to train someone with no experience, and I did very well on the test. Thank you, God. This is exactly what I have been working for to get me out of the MT industry. I worked really, really hard for this, and am still working really, really hard in school. It's not getting any easier - getting harder. But, driving through it, getting it done for the big picture - the CCS and CPC. Thanks for all the support. :)

Congratulations! :) - another Andrews student

[ In Reply To ..]
I think I know who you are! :) I'm sorry to not know the answer to your question, but congratulations on finding a position!

The coding program at Andrews so difficult that I'll bet you passed pre-employment tests with flying colors. No one seems to talk about how hard the course at Andrews is, but it is tough.

I finished a good, well-known CPC prep course on the side while at Andrews. The difference between that course and Andrews was akin to the difference between Jr. High Biology and Microbiology (with a lab) in college.

The CPC course taught the basics of coding. The Andrews course makes you teach yourself the basics and then tests you on application. The exams are tricky too. They make you read EVERY WORD. lol

If you didn't go to Andrews and I've got the wrong person, I'd love to know which course you went through that prepared you so well. Good luck on your exams! I'm taking mine within the next 2 months.

Congratulations! - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
I don't have any advice because I am still a student at Andrews. I just wanted to say good for you! :)

Congratulations! My suggestion ... - Coder

[ In Reply To ..]
Congratulations on landing a great job!

To ask about raises or to not ask ... that is always the question. Let me explain my thinking on this.

HR might provide some info on the pay structure when you see them. Most hospitals have one. The pay within grades might not be negotiable. There will probably be an annual increase or something like that, or higher grades into which you can advance. Those grades may require credentials.

If HR does not raise the issue, should you? I would not. There is always a chance that HR might find something wrong with you and cancel your hire. Maybe you do not meet their requirements and they didn't know it. Maybe they might think your questioning is premature or presumptuous, or even confrontational.

If it were me, I would be trying to fly under the radar. WAY far under the radar.

In my view, it is too soon to be thinking about a raise. They hired you as a student. They expect to invest $$$ in your training - and they will - before you become fully functional. Even if you think your pay is low, bear with it because it is giving you experience. With that you can get a better paying job later. This is not the only game in town.

You are unbelievably fortunate to have gotten a job now. Make the most of it. Consider it a fellowship rather than a low-pay job. Use it as a learning experience.

Get your credentials and provide your employer with copies. Have AHIMA send notice to both HR and your dept head. If there is a raise involved you will know about it by then -- you will hear about it through the grapevine.

You can probably expect to feel like a newb for 2 years. Then you'l realize that you know what you are doing. That is when you can start thinking about other jobs and raises.

Your goal right now is to finish school, get those credentials, and get enough experience that you can market yourself successfully in a higher level job. You are in the right place for you for right now. Do a superb job and things will work out.

FWIW, many employers give increases for - credentials

[ In Reply To ..]
A lot do reward credentials. Some reimburse the expense. Some, like the VA, give pay raises which may be considerable. They may provide continuing education for upkeep of credentials, either in-house or by allowing a set amount of money each year to attend courses.

These things are usually part of the package that HR will share with you. If your new job does not offer them, don't worry about it. You will still get great experience that you can use to get a better job that does.

job with the state - op

[ In Reply To ..]
It's a job with the state, so I hear the benefits are excellent. I am guessing, but they probably do have some program for upkeep of credentials, CEUs, etc. If not, I am still grateful. Thanks for your input.

It should be stable--which is a relief. - nm

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

Thanks - OP

[ In Reply To ..]
Thanks for all the responses and good wishes. I realize how incredibly fortunate I am to have this opportunity, and I am very grateful. It is a challenge that I accept and look forward to.

Similar Messages:

Salary/wage Expectations - Your Thoughts
Jan 18, 2011

I am interested in hearing what those of you with experience in this business would consider a reasonable salary or wage in today's market for doing MT.  What do you think the average earnings are for doing medical transcription today.  Would you say $40,000 a year would be over the top, average, or low.  Better yet, if you knew a company was paying an average salary of $40,000 a year, would you consider that laughable or something worth looking into? All ...

Informatics Salary Versus Coder Salary
Jan 15, 2013

Hello Everybody.  First, let me say I have gotten a lot of good advice from this board in the past few years.  I have been encouraged to go back to school, am currently enrolled in Andrews for coding, and am looking to the future to obtain a degree to further advance myself in the field. I am very strongly considering WGU's Informatics course. I think this will be a good fit for me, especially considering this program also includes many IT certifications and I have always been ...

Expectations For QA.
Jul 26, 2013

Does anyone know the expectations for QAs? Like, are they required to produce a certain amount? How are they paid? Hourly, salary, or per production? Is their quality checked like MLS's are? How often? How long are they allowed/recommended to spend on each blank (I was told by my supervisor to spend no more than 5-7 minutes researching a blank and, if not researchable, 3 listens per blank before moving on. If I go over MY allowed variance hours, I'm told I'm spending too much time ...

So Underpaid For Expectations!
Oct 11, 2011

Need to vent.  Cannot stand to hear any more sad attempts by docs to murder the English language, to expect us miracle workers to turn garbage into important medical records, to expect us to read their minds, to throw out a bunch of words and expect us to give it some structure while staying within about 10 different guidelines, mostly set up by old ladies trying to stay relevent, yes I said it, and all this plus more for about $10/hr on a good pay period.  I could deal with the stress ...

Absolute FED UP With These Expectations
Oct 24, 2012

I am absolutely fed up with being an MT and I am about to leave this field for good. Over the years, I have worked for several MT companies and I know that quality is important. I understand that the reports have to be correct and quality has to be high. However, what I need to *** about is what these MT companies are REALLY doing to us. First of all, to be an MT, we went to school. We studied our butts off and we paid an outragous fee to get this diploma. We took tests and passed them. We ...

Unreasonable Expectations?
Nov 05, 2012

Am I being unreasonable here? I have been an acute care MT for almost 15 years, spent the last year and half learning coding, coding increasingly complex cases, working towards certification. I am having a hard time with the concept of getting certified and then only being able to find a job doing billing in a doctor's office at $13 an hour. I feel like I would be taking a step backwards, like I have all this inpatient expertise, and I would be billing URIs and primary care visits. The ...

Expectations Too High - Am I Unrealistic?
Sep 29, 2010

I need opinions please.  Do I expect too much?  When I ask my lead a question I do not usally get an answer.  When she does choose to respond it is  very often rude and/or condescening.   Not one time have I ever gotten a sample despite numerous requests.     Am I unreasonalbe? ...

Leaving Transcription ... Low Pay, High Expectations
Jun 06, 2011

I have had it... Low pay, high expectations, stressssssssss!  Going to work in a department store. Hourly wage, paid for all I do all the time. ...

Transcription Line Rates Expectations
Oct 23, 2012

Copied directly from an advertisement for a transcriptionist for a hospital setting;  2. Transcribes an average of 10,000 lines per day, based on an 8 hour day.   now, can anybody really do this?  lol.  maybe they are talking speech rec, but even this would be a lot to expect.  Wonder if they pay incentive for going over line requirements.  ...

How Many Of You Have Both CCS And CPC Credentials?
Apr 22, 2011

Just wondering how many of you have both CCS and CPC credentials. How many years did you work before you took those tests? Did the credentials help you get a job or did you get the job first? ...

Credentials
Oct 20, 2011

Why in the world would any MT seek to further their credentials, i.e., CMT, etc., when it doesn't make one whit of difference in how you are paid?  So many posts here regarding highly qualified, CMT's, etc., that can't find a job for 8cpl?  This Michael Jackson trial may end up in being good for us, in that "medical records" are very necessary and need to be accurate.  Maybe this is the break that we need?  How about an "Occupy Doctors" platform--you pay us wha ...

CMT Credentials
Apr 10, 2012

Why the hoopla about providing classes for CMT CE credits when Nuance does not recognize the CMT status???? I am a CMT, and it doesn't seem to matter one hill of beans these days whether you are or not (pay wise, I mean.) ...

Expectations, Reality Check ..and Plan Of Action
Dec 23, 2012

I just cant believe MMOdal have set their bar so low... What has MModal done to make our accuracy grow DEP programers, heres a piece of advice...get an option of grading the dictator in ur next version of DEP within the file....like, excellent, decent, good, bad, worst...whoever ever get 2 weeks of worst % should be warned if still no improvement, penailze with heafty fine and still no improvement, should be dumped from dictating forever.. 1.  MMODAL face it..ur DEP program is grabage..e ...

Maintaining Credentials
May 12, 2010

I'm pretty sure AHIMA requires a certain number of continuing education hours to maintain a credential and assume AAPC does also but I'm wondering if you have multiple coding credentials, do you have to do separate CE hours for each one or can use the same hours for more than one credential.  Does anyone know? ...

Looks Like Mandatory CMT Credentials Soon.
Aug 02, 2010

Just like the post below stated, House of Delgates known as (HOD) from AHDI is wanting everyone to ensure patient safety and the integrity of patient records, all persons involved in creating, editing, organizing, or transmitting protected health information should be formally trained and hold credentials relevant to those duties.  To that end, AHDI should move forward with the support of its leadership in actively advocating for mandatory credentialing by whatever means that can be accompl ...

Credentials Out Of School
Dec 22, 2011

Does anyone know which school will better prepare one to get CCS or CPC credentials straight out of school between Andrews and Career Step? I know from looking at jobs, that if you don't have one of these after your name you will have almost zilch luck in finding a job. Any information would be appreciated! ...

Heads Up. Everybody's Credentials Need To Be Verified. Saw On
Dec 29, 2009

the news that a new company has sprung up fabricating resumes to give those folks with no experience some experience and education.  All those claiming to be CMTs need to be checked.  Word has it, this too is going on along with some name changing to confuse the issue. ...

Echo Tech Credentials
Jun 14, 2010

gives the name of the echocardiogram tech and then s/l BSRCS or possibly VSRCS Sounds like it would be his credentials. ...

ADHI Vot For Mandatory Credentials
Aug 15, 2010

Did they vote to give themselves all a raise too?  They can have thier little votes amongst themselves until the cows come home.  It's never going to happen!  Not as long as so much work is allowed to be outsourced over seas.  It would be different if they were actually advocates for MTs and the industry as a whole, instead of promoting their own agenda.  Then, maybe they would actually be respected by the MTs themselves.  We need hea ...

What Other Jobs Can Those With RHIT Credentials Do
Apr 26, 2012

Just curious what else RHIT's can do besides coding? ...

Coding Credentials/Certification
Apr 30, 2015

Good evening coders :)  I have been reviewing many posts and notice a trend of sorts.  Many posters feel that the AHIMA recognized RHIT credential is not sufficient to gain employment as a coder or that attending a 2 year AAS HIM program is not enough education to the ability to be a sucessful coder.  I was curious about geographic location playing a role in these assumptions?   As an employee in an HIM department, my director possesses the RHIT credential as well as majorit ...

Newbies And Students - About AHDI Credentials ...
Jan 06, 2010

A certificate of completion (of your course or education program) does not make you a CMT. The AHDI (Association for Healthcare Documentation Integrity) offers 2 different credentials:  RMT (for those with less experience) and CMT.   Both credentials require passing a challenge exam and continuing education credits to maintain (every 3 years).  If you think that it doesn't matter whether you obtain an RMT or CMT credential through the AHDI, just think of it this way:&n ...

Coding Credentials Made Easy!
Jan 12, 2012

People who are new to coding get confused about credentials. There is some great information in the pages below if you read what has been written on here for months, and I definitely recommend doing that. You will learn more than you can imagine.  I thought I would try to put it in a short,  easy-to-understand format, specifically designed for MTs who are transitoning to coding. CCS and CPC - Impressive! Marketable skills. This is comparable to a medical transcriptionist who can type ...

I Need To Increase My Pay....
Feb 08, 2012

....as I'm about ready to get kicked out.  I have been working like crazy and was shocked when I saw my paycheck but at least I have a job.  Please tell me what I can do to get more lines per hour.  If I turn the clock off when I get up, then I have to make up that time to get my eight hours in.  Too tired by the end of when my shift is to stop to do more typing/vr.  I need hints/ideas/etc!!!!!  Thanks :) ...

Trying To Increase Speed...
Sep 25, 2010

Does anyone have any hints/suggestions/help for working more quickly in Powerscribe editing radiology reports?  The program seems a bit sluggish and you have to wait on it when you want to go on to the next step/next report.  Any hints for copying/pasting more quickly, etc?  Any info would be greatly appreciated as I am trying to increase my speed.  TIA ...

Best Way To Increase Lines
Jun 27, 2013

I've been doing work via escription for about a month and a half now (Transcriptionist most of my life) and i really like it.  I am just up to about an average of 300 lines per hour though. I have heard/seen people do much better with the line count, and I wonder what your input is.  Some say that you shouldnt use the mouse and should only use the keyboard for quick editing.  I use the mouse still. I have my short cuts in and such, but for the most part i keep my hand on the ...

How Can I Increase Productivity?
Apr 23, 2015

I do transcription work for several different doctors and get a lot of pre-generated reports that just need editing.  Is there anything at all that I can do to increase productivity? Thank you all!  ...

Idea To Increase Production
Apr 27, 2010

A while back I was trying to think of some things to increase my production, so I sat down with paper and pencil and made a list of the biggest things that were slowing me down.  At the top of the list were three main things:  Nine different accounts with nine totally different CPs, ESLs, and ASR.  I decided to work on the CPs first.  This one little trick has actually DOUBLED my production over the last two months.  My thought was that maybe if I had all the CPs for all ...

Increase Line Counts?
Jun 26, 2010

I kind of feel dumb even asking this question but how does one get these 300 lph counts I've read about on here?  I have 12 years plus years experience and have only worked in 2 different hospitals.  We never had expanders so I don't really know much about them.  I average about 180 lph but am realizing now working for an MTSO that I am going to have to increase my line counts.  Thanks! ...

What Caused An Increase In Shorter
Dec 22, 2010

Not long ago, work was abundant for all MTs, but then it seemed that changed when for some reason, turn around times were shortened markedly.  What caused this?  Was is just a new way for companies to compete, promising that the work would get back sooner than a client's current MT service, or did something more technical occur, such as government regulations, insurance requirements, etc.  I see jobs by the hundreds on the web and yet the complaint is always the same: No work ...